• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Afghan Man faces death penalty for being Christian

alphamale said:
Why do pulley's work? I know how they work, and know the equations to calculate the forces. Need heuristic answer.

And pulley's are similar to your name calling in what way?

vergiss said:
Actually, if Afghanistan were like the Middle East of the medieval era, there'd be no problems. Whilst Europeans were busy burning people at the stake and torturing them to death for "heresy", the Muslims in the Orient respected their Jewish and Christian countrymen (many of whom had fled from persecution in Europe) and were centuries ahead in things such as, oh, I dunno... algebra, astonomy, philosophy, unimportant stuff like that...

Yeah its really too bad they stayed there and never really moved forward.
If they had not been completely stagnated by religion, We would have Arabs colonizing mars by now seriously. Look at that timeline. Religion totally screwed the ME.

akyron said:
Yeah its really too bad they stayed there and never really moved forward.
If they had not been completely stagnated by religion, We would have Arabs colonizing mars by now seriously. Look at that timeline. Religion totally screwed the ME.

Ibn al-Nafis, a Syrian scholar in the 13th century, was the first person to discover the pulmonary circulation of the blood. He later died in old age. In contrast, the second person to propose the theory of circulation, Michael Servetus, a 16th century Spaniard, was arrested for heresy and later burned at the stake when he refused to recant. Islamic philosophers of the time, such Rhazes, often held the view that science and reason were more important than religious dogma. What European could have said that and expected not to end up human toast?

Obviously, there is no innate reason why Islam and Islamic culture cannot thrive from rational and progressive thought. So why didn't they benefit from the same eventual scientific and intellectual Enlightenment as the Europeans? From what I gather from the history books I've read, it seems to be related to the conquest of the Ottoman empire by Napoleon's army in the late 1700s. These people instead saw the Enlightenment and later the Industrial Revoultion as a product of their oppressors, thus even reversing the process. The first theocratic jihadist loonies popped up at this time, and the Shi'a office of ayatollah evolved in the 1800s. Such social progress comes gradually - it can hardly appear overnight, much less be forced onto anyone. It seems to be that we've just got to let them figure themselves out. In all liklihood, it'll be sooner, rather than later.

akyron said:
If they had not been completely stagnated by religion, We would have Arabs colonizing mars by now seriously.

WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT????????????? :shock:

alphamale said:
I've created a sub-thread to explore a more interesting topic! :2razz:

True, we have kinda over-explored the current one. Onto the next thread I guess.

Back
Top Bottom