• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advocates: High court signals it won't stop $15 minimum wage[W:71]

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
SEATTLE (AP) — The U.S. Supreme Court weighed in for the first time Monday on a $15-an-hour minimum wage, signaling it does not plan to stop the movement that is spreading across the nation, worker advocates say.

The justices refused to hear a challenge to Seattle's law, which franchise owners said discriminates against them by treating them as large businesses. It comes as several other cities and a group of states, including California and New York, have started to phase in a $15 minimum wage in recent months as the cost of living keeps rising.

Good decision. The way I see it, if McDonald's full time employees are collecting food stamps, they are not being lazy. McDonald's is stealing money from the taxpayers instead. But McDonald's can no longer do it in many cities and in some states. The Ninth Circuit Court decision stands.

Article is here.

Re: Advocates: High court signals it won't stop $15 minimum wage

Count me in agreement! :thumbs:

The Supreme Court doesn't have a say in the matter.

Good decision. The way I see it, if McDonald's full time employees are collecting food stamps, they are not being lazy. McDonald's is stealing money from the taxpayers instead. But McDonald's can no longer do it in many cities and in some states. The Ninth Circuit Court decision stands.

Article is here.
Leave it to the Ninth Circus for yet another bullshyte ruling. And it doesn't matter how "you see it" Liberals are economic waifs, period.

Advocates: High court signals it won't stop $15 minimum wage

Leave it to the Ninth Circus for yet another bullshyte ruling. And it doesn't matter how "you see it" Liberals are economic waifs, period.

Agreed.

To the less knowledgeable and near sighted folks:
Remember when McDonalds was a job for the youngsters to learn some responsibility? Since when has it become a career? It isn't McDonalds fault either, it's the economy. Wages have been flat forever and cost of living keeps going up. What do you expect is going to happen? This will create fewer jobs though, so kudos to the people supporting this, you can't see two feet in front of your face. I see robots and kiosks coming to the McDonalds near you! Menial low paying jobs aren't worth $15 an hour, so now innovation and jobs reductions are coming in. Why do you think everything is made overseas now? American labor rates are far higher than Every other country.

Article is here.

Yep, now they will be in the unemployment line.

Article is here.

Well said!

Nope. Your wish just didn't happen....

Hah, $10-11 an hr is not quite $15. Jump from 9 to 15. Then see what happens.

Hah, $10-11 an hr is not quite $15. Jump from 9 to 15. Then see what happens.

From the article I linked to in post number 8........

Starting one year ago, Seattle employers were required to pay $10 or $11 per hour, depending on the number of employees. As of Jan. 1, the minimum went up to $10.50 to $13 per hour, depending on head count and whether employees receive tips or benefits.

Almost there, and the sky has yet to fall.

Nope. Your wish just didn't happen....

The area I work in passed 15 dollars an hour. This would give me a 4 a dollar raised for the part time job I do while in college. I know for a fact the labor I provide for this job is no worth 15 and hour.

It's been 4 months at 13, and you missed my point. Jump from 9 straight to 15. What small business can support that?

I'm that case, let's make it $50 an hour.

It's been 4 months at 13, and you missed my point. Jump from 9 straight to 15. What small business can support that?

There aren't many small businesses than can support $13.

There aren't many small businesses than can support $13.

They seem to be doing quite well, and haven't raised their prices much either.

They seem to be doing quite well, and haven't raised their prices much either.

Let's make it 50 bucks, then.

Let's make it 50 bucks, then.

Have you ever heard of elasticity? A small increase can increase wages while only having a light price increase making the wage beneficial but if it is raised too much prices will increase faster than wages.

Have you ever heard of elasticity? A small increase can increase wages while only having a light price increase making the wage beneficial but if it is raised too much prices will increase faster than wages.

You flame that $15 has zero effect. Of that's so, then there's enough elasticity for an increase to $50. Unless, the whole notion that $15 not having any effect is a lie. Is it?

You flame that $15 has zero effect. Of that's so, then there's enough elasticity for an increase to $50. Unless, the whole notion that $15 not having any effect is a lie. Is it?

So no, you don't know what elasticity is.

So no, you don't know what elasticity is.

Can you answer my question? No? Didn't think so.

Awesome. The permanent underclass is almost a reality.

Then you have no idea what elasticity is, at low levels (i.e. 15$) prices are inelastic and therefore do not increase at the same rate as the income (wage). At higher values like 50$ prices are very elastic therefore would increase more than the increase wage. It is one of the most basic concepts of economics.

The problem with thinking that $15.00 is a lot of money to pay a fast food worker today is failing to account for inflation.

Back in the day (1977 as a random example) $15.00 today would be the equivalent of $3.80. Inflation Calculator 2016

The minimum wage in 1977 was $2.30 or the equivalent of $9.09 in 2015 dollars. https://www.dol.gov/featured/minimum-wage/chart1

BTW $9.09 happens to be the average wage for Food Service employees as of the latest statistics. Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food

So a $6.00 raise in current dollar buying power for the average fast food worker would be the equivalent of $1.50 worth of buying power in 1977 factoring in inflation.

Basically IMO, a realistic request for any worker student, adult, or senior.

Stop thinking the dollar has retained the old values we grew up with. $15.00 sounds like a lot...but not really when you consider it's actual buying power. :shrug:

The problem I see with this? It is emblematic of our faux money system that economists keep touting. As long as there is no real limit on the amount of money a government can print, the lower classes will always have to deal with rapid devaluation of their earnings and savings. Something the very rich don't need to worry about, but explains all those trillions they stash away in offshore accounts.

Last edited:

Corporations are paying wages that don't support a quality life, while relying on American taxpayers to support their workers through tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Credit, as well as Medicaid and so on.

I'd rather pay lower taxes and pay more for a burger from someone earning a living wage.

Corporations are paying wages that don't support a quality life, while relying on American taxpayers to support their workers through tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Credit, as well as Medicaid and so on.

I'd rather pay lower taxes and pay more for a burger from someone earning a living wage.

But here's the rub. As shown by Seattle, you are not paying hardly anything more for a burger.

Back
Top Bottom