• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advocates: High court signals it won't stop $15 minimum wage[W:71]

Re: Advocates: High court signals it won't stop $15 minimum wage

Can you answer my question? No? Didn't think so.

"If it's fine at $15, it's fine at $50" is almost painfully idiotic.

"If it's fine at $15, it's fine at $50" is almost painfully idiotic.

Still can't respond? No surprise.

Still can't respond? No surprise.

I did respond. You don't understand how wages work.

I did respond. You don't understand how wages work.

Explain it.

Explain it.

I don't really need to, since carjosse illustrated exactly how stupid your statement was in post 22, and Captain Adverse gave a more detailed explanation in post 23. Neither of which you probably bothered to read.

But here's the rub. As shown by Seattle, you are not paying hardly anything more for a burger.

I like how you're drawing conclusions from a link that clearly says "it's too early to make conclusions".

Awesome. The permanent underclass is almost a reality.

Greetings, Moon. :2wave:

The question remains one of "how far up the economic scale is this going to reach?" We keep reading that the middle class is disappearing, so it is a logical question.

I don't really need to, since carjosse illustrated exactly how stupid your statement was in post 22, and Captain Adverse gave a more detailed explanation in post 23. Neither of which you probably bothered to read.

IOW, you can't. That's ok, because I know exactly how wages work.

IOW, you can't. That's ok, because I know exactly how wages work.

Lol. Okay. :lamo

Good decision. The way I see it, if McDonald's full time employees are collecting food stamps, they are not being lazy. McDonald's is stealing money from the taxpayers instead. But McDonald's can no longer do it in many cities and in some states. The Ninth Circuit Court decision stands.

Article is here.

The way I see it, if you can afford to open a McDonalds franchise then you can afford to pay the employees a living wage. The franchise owners' claim is absurd for a number of reasons, but any notion that it isn't affordable is the most ridiculous. If they have $2 million plus $500,000 in liquid capital lying around to open the franchise then they have no excuse for paying their employees starvation wages.

Then you have no idea what elasticity is, at low levels (i.e. 15$) prices are inelastic and therefore do not increase at the same rate as the income (wage). At higher values like 50$ prices are very elastic therefore would increase more than the increase wage. It is one of the most basic concepts of economics.

That must mean that $15 is the ceiling for the minimum wage, forever.

The way I see it, if you can afford to open a McDonalds franchise then you can afford to pay the employees a living wage. The franchise owners' claim is absurd for a number of reasons, but any notion that it isn't affordable is the most ridiculous. If they have $2 million plus $500,000 in liquid capital lying around to open the franchise then they have no excuse for paying their employees starvation wages.

That money is expended on the franchise. Once the franchise is opened, that money no longer belongs to the operation.

That money is expended on the franchise. Once the franchise is opened, that money no longer belongs to the operation.

No, but the key message is that we're talking about people with enough disposable income to pay millions of dollars to open the fat factory. Franchise owners are not to be pittied.

No, but the key message is that we're talking about people with enough disposable income to pay millions of dollars to open the fat factory. Franchise owners are not to be pittied.

Keyword being, "pay". Opening the store absorbs that capital. Once it's gone, the only way to replenish it is through profit margin. The average profit for a corporation in The United States is 17%. At 17%, how long would it take to pay back 2 million dollars?

That being said, you're making a comparison using large corporations. What about that business operator who makes a fraction of that money? He still has to pay employees 15 bucks, plus the other expenses that go along with payroll. The employee is getting 15 bucks, but the employer ends up paying more than just 15 bucks.

Keyword being, "pay". Opening the store absorbs that capital. Once it's gone, the only way to replenish it is through profit margin. The average profit for a corporation in The United States is 17%. At 17%, how long would it take to pay back 2 million dollars?

That being said, you're making a comparison using large corporations. What about that business operator who makes a fraction of that money? He still has to pay employees 15 bucks, plus the other expenses that go along with payroll. The employee is getting 15 bucks, but the employer ends up paying more than just 15 bucks.

if you cannot afford to pay employees a living wage then you cannot afford to own a business. Period. Any claim that franchise owners cannot afford it is highly, highly suspect. They had the millions to open it. No excuses for not paying living wages. Mom and pop business might illicit some pity, but again, business owners have an obligation to compensate their employees instead of relying on the State to do it for them no matter their size. The fact is that the prices of their products have, at minimum, kept pace with inflation so they should not be permitted to increase profits further by keeping wages depressed, which is exactly what's been going on for years.

Last edited:

Good decision. The way I see it, if McDonald's full time employees are collecting food stamps, they are not being lazy. McDonald's is stealing money from the taxpayers instead. But McDonald's can no longer do it in many cities and in some states. The Ninth Circuit Court decision stands.

Article is here.

This is correct. We've seen far too much judicial legislating recently. It's good that they are restraining themselves for once. The correct minimum wage is a matter for legislatures to decide.

Regarding the wage itself, the problem is that (eventually, I get that it takes a while) prices will increase and then the process will have to repeat.

If we want minimum wage to actually do anything long term, we need price maximums.

if you cannot afford to pay employees a living wage then you cannot afford to own a business. Period. Any claim that franchise owners cannot afford it is highly, highly suspect. They had the millions to open it. No excuses for not paying living wages. Mom and pop business might illicit some pity, but again, business owners have an obligation to compensate their employees instead of relying on the State to do it for them no matter their size.

IOW, you want to create a business environment where only the large corporations can survive. Great job looking out for the little guy.

IOW, you want to create a business environment where only the large corporations can survive. Great job looking out for the little guy.

We are already in that environment.

We are already in that environment.

And you want to make it permanent. Me? I'll pass on that Liberal craziness.

Article is here.

Exactly how is McDonalds, who pays market wage and pays their taxes on time, stealing money from the taxpayers?

McDonalds has nothing to with distribution of food stamps.

American taxpayers are effectively subsidizing businesses, allowing them to pay their workers sub-living wages while we taxpayers compensate the workers with tax credits like the Earned Income Credit.

Tax dollars will be saved when workers are paid living wages, but at the cost to corporate profits--thus the resistance to living wages from conservatives/Republicans.

That must mean that $15 is the ceiling for the minimum wage, forever.

It adjusts in relation to the rest of the labour market and aggregate prices (inflation). In will inch higher with everything else. Don't think about it as 15$/hour think three big macs an hour, the actual number is irrelevant it is purchasing power. There would be a lot less pain with the minimum wage every time if you just raised it then pegged it to inflation and every few years revisit and reevaluate it because then it just increases in relation to everything else.

Last edited:

And you want to make it permanent. Me? I'll pass on that Liberal craziness.

Ok, just don't complain about social welfare programs and you'll be entitled that point of view. Out of curiosity, do you give your patronage to small local/family owned businesses or to the big box retail chains and franchises? As for the permanence, ask former business owners how permanent the loss of their business to Walmart is.

It adjusts in relation to the rest of the labour market and aggregate prices (inflation). In will inch higher with everything else. There would be a lot less pain with the minimum wage every time if you just raised it then pegged it to inflation and every few years revisit and reevaluate it.

Oh, right...raise wages, raise prices, raise wages, raise prices. Where does that end? Maybe we should ask the Weimar Republic? Or, Venezuela?

All you're going to do is create a scenario where only the super rich can survive.

Oh, right...raise wages, raise prices, raise wages, raise prices. Where does that end? Maybe we should ask the Weimar Republic? Or, Venezuela?

All you're going to do is create a scenario where only the super rich can survive.
We're basically already in that scenario.

Back
Top Bottom