• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advice on PTSD

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So it looks like I'm going to VA next week because I'm showing signs that I might have PTSD. That alone has me feeling done. So I was wondering how do you guys cope with it and also what should do with the VA about getting a new disable rating if I do have it since I have heard nothing but horror stories about it getting them to change it.

I haven't had military-related PTSD, but I have had it from other emotional trauma. I would personally get a full physical work-up, including stress (adrenal) hormone levels checked. High levels of emotional stress can deplete your adrenal function, and this can cause symptoms such as high anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Been there, done that. I'd also go for some serious counseling to try and learn coping mechanisms, and stress reduction techniques. It's a long hard road for some of us, but worth the time and effort. Best wishes to you. Seriously.

I feel you brother. Are you still active duty? I can help you more once I know that. I hate to say this, but you may not like the advice if you are.

So it looks like I'm going to VA next week because I'm showing signs that I might have PTSD. That alone has me feeling done. So I was wondering how do you guys cope with it and also what should do with the VA about getting a new disable rating if I do have it since I have heard nothing but horror stories about it getting them to change it.

I don't know anything about the VA or PTSD, my friend. All I can offer is this, don't feel embarrassed to take medication if it helps you (if it comes to that). I was OCD for years and living with constant anxiety until I finally decided to do something about it. Now I take a very low dose anti depressant (this is is the first time I've admitted that on the general board) and it's made profound difference. It hasn't changed who I am or insulated me from feeling stressed or even fixating sometimes. I'm just better at keeping things in proper perspective and not tearing myself up over a period of days which it what would happen. Do what you need to do to.

There are degrees to PTSD...The most severe is when it changes the chemical structure in the brain.. This is brought about severe shock, which never goes away....Less severe results in depression, inability to concentrate, anxiety and often fatigue...Sometimes it takes a length of time to get on the proper medication so you will need patience...No matter what the degree of PTSD, it will be challenging but well worth the effort to get it under control. Good luck to you..

I listened to an interview with a very successful vet who was diagnosed with PTSD and he didn't agree that it was a disorder and instead thought it was very normal to feel as he did for what he went through. He didn't mean to say that it didn't feel bad at times but that it wasn't a malfunction in his mind/body. Knowing that it's somewhat natural to feel the way you may feel seems, at least to me, to make it more hopeful and manageable. I also think that this thread was a great idea and to continue to discuss it in general with people can be very helpful.

Btw, thanks for your service and the sacrifices you've made. I hope you take credit for the freedom we have. I was a reservist in the Marines during Desert Storm and only went as far as El Toro, Ca.

me and you can talk for hours on the subject....in '73 I was diagnosed with a "nervous condition".

I was still on active duty, so i didn't have to put up with the VA, but there was still no real treatment.
I turned to drugs, alcohol, and lots of meaningless sex as my own "fun" therapy... and eventually found out that all that stuff makes it worse.

it's a long boring story, a pity parade of sorts... but in the end, i'm cool with my "nervous condition" now... it' part of me... my experiences are part of me.. they helped make me who I am today.

if ya have any question about ..well, anything... just let em' rip.

the VA, like any other bureaucracy, is slow moving and you're likely to get PTSD just from dealing with them... but they eventually do you some good.
play their games, dance their dances... it's usually worth it.

as an aside, it's important to know that there's millions of us out there.. you aren't alone... not even close.

I listened to an interview with a very successful vet who was diagnosed with PTSD and he didn't agree that it was a disorder and instead thought it was very normal to feel as he did for what he went through..

Excellent point. It is normal to have a serious reaction to serious emotional stress. The key is in learning how to deal with it effectively.

When I first came home.....I stayed in contact with those who had survived in my unit. Which there wasn't many. Which we stayed in touch thru the years. But now there are only a couple of us left. I am the last of those from my squad. For me I think I was to caught up in the streetlife. Money, money, money.....then the Partying and Drinking. Women.....Business. Fast-lane and all. Never had the time to sit and really be thinking about things. Those around me.....seemed to care. Not like when I first came home. Moreover I had gone thru something similar with those who grew up around and with me. Growing up on the streets I had seen death at a young age. Blood people shot. Seeing kids in caskets. Funerals and our parents. The whole bit. Living thru wounds taken and surviving a war. I don't know if I closed myself off to the world or if the world had just encapsulated me.

All I know is I live with it all and I can never forget any of it.....faces, smells, all the reminders and just about any music bring it all back. Getting older, what wears on me is why me.....why I am the last. I shouldn't be here. Now even my family is gone. I don't go out as much into the public other when I am working. No longer go to the VFW. Have even missed going out on Flag Day and other event wherein at least I could be around those who know what it is like. Sure others try and encourage me to come around. Other than the work around my property I really don't go outside anywheres. It's like I am becoming a hermit without even trying. The OL does the shopping and most of time I don't even have to put gas into the car. All those mundane activities out in public dropped down to the very minimum or as if it would be like an emergency.

Hell I even still get into the NAM crouch. Be sitting in my backyard like that just sitting and staring off into the woods on the creek. Thinking about people and then.....Nothing!

Nervous Condition, PTSD, depression.....I don't really even try to think on it. I just take one day at a time as it comes. Sometimes the time is slower, and taken that way in whatever moment. All I know is I don't sleep and it is rare for anything over 5 hrs. I think I would have to stay up for like 3 days just to sleep 8 hrs thru and know what a restful sleep is like. I can't even remember when I had a dream nor can I ever forget the faces of those who were my bruthas and cuzins......nor my enemies.
m1helmet.gif

When I first came home.....I stayed in contact with those who had survived in my unit. Which there wasn't many. Which we stayed in touch thru the years. But now there are only a couple of us left. I am the last of those from my squad. For me I think I was to caught up in the streetlife. Money, money, money.....then the Partying and Drinking. Women.....Business. Fast-lane and all. Never had the time to sit and really be thinking about things. Those around me.....seemed to care. Not like when I first came home. Moreover I had gone thru something similar with those who grew up around and with me. Growing up on the streets I had seen death at a young age. Blood people shot. Seeing kids in caskets. Funerals and our parents. The whole bit. Living thru wounds taken and surviving a war. I don't know if I closed myself off to the world or if the world had just encapsulated me.

All I know is I live with it all and I can never forget any of it.....faces, smells, all the reminders and just about any music bring it all back. Getting older, what wears on me is why me.....why I am the last. I shouldn't be here. Now even my family is gone. I don't go out as much into the public other when I am working. No longer go to the VFW. Have even missed going out on Flag Day and other event wherein at least I could be around those who know what it is like. Sure others try and encourage me to come around. Other than the work around my property I really don't go outside anywheres. It's like I am becoming a hermit without even trying. The OL does the shopping and most of time I don't even have to put gas into the car. All those mundane activities out in public dropped down to the very minimum or as if it would be like an emergency.

Hell I even still get into the NAM crouch. Be sitting in my backyard like that just sitting and staring off into the woods on the creek. Thinking about people and then.....Nothing!

Nervous Condition, PTSD, depression.....I don't really even try to think on it. I just take one day at a time as it comes. Sometimes the time is slower, and taken that way in whatever moment. All I know is I don't sleep and it is rare for anything over 5 hrs. I think I would have to stay up for like 3 days just to sleep 8 hrs thru and know what a restful sleep is like. I can't even remember when I had a dream nor can I ever forget the faces of those who were my bruthas and cuzins......nor my enemies.
m1helmet.gif

I'm so sorry MMC. That must be hell for you. :(

Eventually it all comes down to the fact that every man has to walk down that road alone.

A lot of it is survivor guilt and it will help you to realize that not a one of those guys who didn't make it, would want you to be suffering like this. If they were here that is what they would tell you. One day you will all have a beer together, but you have work to do before then.

It is also important for you to know that none of it, including the PTSD, is your fault. Everyone does the absolute best they can.

You're thinking yours is different and we don't know, but we do. We all know.

Last edited:
First off IMO don't take the meds! They are a crutch and do more harm than good. I think I live the way I do because in a way I still have some low level PTSD. I don't like or trust people much and having my nearest neighbor three miles away helps me breathe easy. There is one road into my property and I hate to admit it but I have established several OPs along it just in case. I also have a plan to real quick obliterate my road entirely with a couple of scoops with my back hoe to divert a stream to run down it. In case of what I'm not sure but just in case. I also have guns and ammo stashed at strategic locations along with food and med supplies and there is a loaded gun in every room of my house I probably shouldn't admit to this stuff, it makes me sound nuts but who gives a f***.

First off IMO don't take the meds! They are a crutch and do more harm than good. I think I live the way I do because in a way I still have some low level PTSD. I don't like or trust people much and having my nearest neighbor three miles away helps me breathe easy. There is one road into my property and I hate to admit it but I have established several OPs along it just in case. I also have a plan to real quick obliterate my road entirely with a couple of scoops with my back hoe to divert a stream to run down it. In case of what I'm not sure but just in case. I also have guns and ammo stashed at strategic locations along with food and med supplies and there is a loaded gun in every room of my house I probably shouldn't admit to this stuff, it makes me sound nuts but who gives a f***.

I think that is bad advice.. It would depend on how serious his PTSD is and how he is functioning in his daily life....

I think that is bad advice.. It would depend on how serious his PTSD is and how he is functioning in his daily life....

Well, and it would be on the aspect if he could take the medication. Many of the Anti-Depressants used are with Seratonin. I could never take the stuff.....always broke out in rashes. So Myself I never took anything. Except for all kinds of over the counter headache meds.

When they came out with those Alleves I was happy that something worked. I did actually sleep for like 5hrs straight thru......so far they have worked the best.

Course now they have me take one Bayer aspirin a week too. Plus they are on my ass about smoking.

Last edited:
Well, and it would be on the aspect if he could take the medication. Many of the Anti-Depressants used are with Seratonin. I could never take the stuff.....always broke out in rashes. So Myself I never took anything. Except for all kinds of over the counter headache meds.

When they came out with those Alleves I was happy that something worked. I did actually sleep for like 5hrs straight thru......so far they have worked the best.

Course now they have me take one Bayer aspirin a week too. Plus they are on my ass about smoking.

They are "always" on my ass about smoking too...:mrgreen: Antidepressants are all different. That is why I said above that it takes time and patience to finally get the right one... The side effects can be terrible--yes, the rashes can be scary, and peeling skin is even scarier...It took two years for me to get one that gave me no side effects, and helped a great deal.... I am grateful that my Dr. did not give up on me... If you are able to function in a normal way then that is pretty dam good....

I don't know about dealing with the VA, but if you want to shoot me your particulars on PM, I have a buddy who does, and I'll pass along your info to him.

As for dealing with PTSD... I dunno. What crap I have I've tried dealing with with time, alcohol, and Christ. I can heartily recommend Christ, partly recommend time, and warn you that alcohol nearly destroyed my marriage and still deeply effects my relationship with my oldest son. It's Marine tradition, I get it.... but....

My first team leader in the Marine Corps killed himself. I had a platoon sergeant kill himself. I had a Marine under me kill himself. Alcohol (and in one case drugs) doesn't help PTSD. When you go into the valleys (and I still do on a biweekly or monthly basis), avoid the stuff. It will ****ing kill you as dead as any ****ing haji.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I can't help you with the VA, but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there, and that I feel for you.

You gotta watch out for your head before anything. It's the most important thing you have. And it can feel better.

If you're having anxiety problems, the biggest thing I'd say in the immediate term is to avoid feeding it. All the things that it's telling you will make you feel better if only you spent more time worrying about them? Ignore that. It's a bunch of dirty lies. Spend time with people you love and can talk to -- talk about anything, it doesn't matter. Make sure to get out there and get what's left of the sun before winter. Take care of yourself and pay attention to what you need. Try to avoid altering your mind. I avoided alcohol completely for over a year.

Just keep yourself engaged and doing nice things for yourself. I found that making stuff helped keep my head on track when I was in the worst of it. If you have some kind of tinkering pleasure, now's a good time to get good at it. I also had a lot of luck with just writing things down. Granted, I'm a writer, but this seems to help a lot of people. It's easier to maintain some semblance of logic in writing than in speaking, sometimes. It helped me identify trends and articulate things better.

Get an experienced counselor in the field and really commit to seeing them. If you're still early on in this thing, you can avoid some of the worst of it. Just don't let yourself think you have to be "tough." You're plenty tough already. You lived through it, didn't you?

I never went the meds route, personally. That's something you have to assess for yourself. But if it needs to happen to help take some of the pressure off your mind for now, don't be afraid to do it. Just consider it well.

Things can get a hell of a lot better. And I hope they do. Best of luck to you, and as you can see, you've got lots of support here.

I have PTSD too. It's not from war though.

Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed about having it.

One of the most helpful things I learned about it is, the sooner you face this the better it will be. I kept pushing memories and stimuli away. I nearly isolated myself to avoid all triggers.

I later learned that doing that caused the trauma to resurface through nightmares, flashbacks, and depression.

I used to wonder, how can people handle living with the memories of horrible, awful things? How do holocaust survivors make it? What do they think?

Now I say, ok, I saw those things, experienced those things, and it felt like it destroyed my life and soul. I acknowledge it now, while also saying it doesn't need to consume my present life.

I wake up, my past is alive, but it doesn't make me feel defeated or depressed daily anymore.

I did art therapy. I would hit boxes and pillows to release anger. Also, one on one therapy.

I hope you start to feel better soon. It's a very good thing you are addressing it now.

Thanks for your service.

Back
Top Bottom