• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advice For New Dog Owner

We have had 4 Lab's over the years. They can be a real really fun, and a real PITA at the same time when they are young because they seem to never fear anything, and their never ending curiosity gets them into constant hijinks.

And, just when you think you know everything there is to know about your lab, they will still surprise you.
My GF refers to the puppy as "50% Labrador, 50% pain in the ass". One thing about Labradors is that whatever you are doing, they want to do it too.

Being retired I can spend a lot of time with him so he's getting trained. His behavior has improved immensely since he was a puppy but still has to be watched because he'll eat stuff he's not supposed to. Last week he threw up a whole sock and pooped out a length of shoe lace.

My GF refers to the puppy as "50% Labrador, 50% pain in the ass". One thing about Labradors is that whatever you are doing, they want to do it too.

Being retired I can spend a lot of time with him so he's getting trained. His behavior has improved immensely since he was a puppy but still has to be watched because he'll eat stuff he's not supposed to. Last week he threw up a whole sock and pooped out a length of shoe lace.

Oh yeah... we had one that liked socks.

I had one Lab that I would bring with me when I was doing work on a empty houses. She would have her face in the work I was doing all day without ever really bothering me . She would pick up tools and bring them to me thinking I was going to use "that one" The tradesmen that came on to my jobs were all her newest best friends and they usually ended playing with her as much as they were working. She also stole their tools and brought them me.

Another one of our Lab's absolutely lived for her "Frisbie" and kiddy pool. You couldn't sit on the back deck for a minute without her shoving the Frisbie in your face for 5-6 tosses. Then she would go lay in her kiddy pool. Rinse and repeat all day long. She would drop her Frisbie in front of the mower when I cut grass knowing that I had to stop and toss. Every night she would go around the house to collect all her Frisbie's, and when I woke every morning there were always a 1/2 dozen of them at the foot my bed..... and her sitting there waiting.

I had one Lab that I would bring with me when I was doing work on a empty houses. She would have her face in the work I was doing all day without ever really bothering me . She would pick up tools and bring them to me thinking I was going to use "that one" The tradesmen that came on to my jobs were all her newest best friends and they usually ended playing with her as much as they were working. She also stole their tools and brought them me.

Another one of our Lab's absolutely lived for her "Frisbie" and kiddy pool. You couldn't sit on the back deck for a minute without her shoving the Frisbie in your face for 5-6 tosses. Then she would go lay in her kiddy pool. Rinse and repeat all day long. She would drop her Frisbie in front of the mower when I cut grass knowing that I had to stop and toss. Every night she would go around the house to collect all her Frisbie's, and when I woke every morning there were always a 1/2 dozen of them at the foot my bed..... and her sitting there waiting.
Charlie destroyed all his toys, including Kong Brand which are pretty durable. Yesterday I took him to the pet shop to pick out new ones. During our browsing he shoplifted several treats I also had to pay for. He also brings stuff to me all the time - slippers, shoes, bras, and his toys. He is a very good walker and trots along like a pony. Until he sees a kid and he goes absolutely apeshit. He really loves kids.

Well, a Retriever, right? :)
We had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, he liked soxs too. Had to be careful when mowing. Of course those went into the trash when found.

He was very protective of the kids. A fisherman beached his rowboat coming in for lunch while the kids were eating theirs. After lunch the kids and Casey Jones went back down tot he beach, playing close by the rowboat. The fisherman wanted to fetch his gear from the rowboat. Do you think that dog would let him get within 10 feet of the rowboat? No way. Stood his ground keeping the fisherman at a distance, until I got there to hell him it was OK. We all laughed, so all was good.

Never had to worry about the kids with Casey around.

Charlie destroyed all his toys, including Kong Brand which are pretty durable. Yesterday I took him to the pet shop to pick out new ones. During our browsing he shoplifted several treats I also had to pay for. He also brings stuff to me all the time - slippers, shoes, bras, and his toys. He is a very good walker and trots along like a pony. Until he sees a kid and he goes absolutely apeshit. He really loves kids.
As Charlie matures, he'll grow out of destroying his toys, maybe. They'll just start to last longer. Besides, better toys than furniture!

As Charlie matures, he'll grow out of destroying his toys, maybe. They'll just start to last longer. Besides, better toys than furniture!
Yes he's getting over destroying non-toys now. We don't have to worry about our reading glasses or cellphones any more and he plays with, rather than destroys, his toys. He's never bothered with the furniture. It's a good thing because due to his size he could trash a whole couch before noon then start on the kitchen appliances.

Yes he's getting over destroying non-toys now. We don't have to worry about our reading glasses or cellphones any more and he plays with, rather than destroys, his toys. He's never bothered with the furniture. It's a good thing because due to his size he could trash a whole couch before noon then start on the kitchen appliances.
🤣 Mental image of walking into the kitchen to a proud dog in the middle of appliance pieces scattered all over. 🤣

Now that I'm retired I have plenty of time for training and other needs, my wife and I have started looking for a dog, it will be my first. We live in a small downtown apartment with an older cat, so I think it would be better for cat /dog relations to bring in puppy. Plus I'd like the whole puppy raising experience.

Given our 1200 sq foot apartment with no yard, we'll need a small dog. I've been reading a lot about different breeds, their characteristics, training methods (it seems they're many), how to care for a dog, etc. As far as the breed goes, I don't care is it's mixed or not, we'll probably end up with a mixed breed. I've seen some pure breeds being sold for 3k. I wouldn't care if it's a mix with one of those fufu dogs with the long flowing coat because I'd always keep it very short.

I've seen a lot of terriers and I know about their reputation for barking and hyper personality. If one is crossbreed, how much would that reduce these characteristics? I'd like to find a dog from a shelter, but I don't want an older dog or one with health issues (I have enough of my own).

I'm a life long cat owner and I know owning a dog and taking care of one is like night and day. But I do know tiny bit about training, I trained two cats to sit up and one to jump on my shoulder.

Any advice?

Go to a local shelter and adopt an older dog. “older” is whatever your definition of that is, but that would be my recommendation. If you want to weed out behaviorial and health issues, older is the way to go.

Also: the size of your place really doesn’t matter. One of my friends is a St Bernard breeder. She sells to apartment dwellers all the time, in example.

It’s about the dog, not the size. (I’m telling this to you so you don’t necessarily limit yourself, although small dogs = easier for sure).

Go to a local shelter and adopt an older dog. “older” is whatever your definition of that is, but that would be my recommendation. If you want to weed out behaviorial and health issues, older is the way to go.

Also: the size of your place really doesn’t matter. One of my friends is a St Bernard breeder. She sells to apartment dwellers all the time, in example.

It’s about the dog, not the size. (I’m telling this to you so you don’t necessarily limit yourself, although small dogs = easier for sure).
Are shelters still pretty empty? Ours emptied out over the pandemic and they can't keep a cat or dog on the shelf. We were lucky to be able to get a Labrador puppy by finding out about the litter the same day another adopter cancelled.

Are shelters still pretty empty? Ours emptied out over the pandemic and they can't keep a cat or dog on the shelf. We were lucky to be able to get a Labrador puppy by finding out about the litter the same day another adopter cancelled.

If you’re trying to get a lab puppy from a shelter, we agree you were “lucky”. Most shelters here don’t offer specific breeds, you have to work with a rescue org dedicated to that breed to get one, let alone a puppy (labs just don’t wind up as strays in this country, as I’m sure you can imagine).

To answer your q: yes, our shelters unfortunately are just fine and filled with really awesome buddies just waiting to make new friends. The key is to not be stuck on a breed. Which is a waste of time anyway. Biggest mistake people make is not assessing what *they* need and how they live vs what kind of dog they think they’d like.

i raised three dobermans with my son...they were all protective....my son was lost....zack was with him....a pick up truck stopped and tried to get son..dog put them back in truck...luckily for us..we live in a small hollow they came and found us....searching for our son

i am too old now to start over with a doberman...they need a good solid base training and socialization...thor loved kids...he would just jump in the air and spin...a small group of kids would make him so happy....think bowling ball into the pins

i raised three dobermans with my son...they were all protective....my son was lost....zack was with him....a pick up truck stopped and tried to get son..dog put them back in truck...luckily for us..we live in a small hollow they came and found us....searching for our son

i am too old now to start over with a doberman...they need a good solid base training and socialization...thor loved kids...he would just jump in the air and spin...a small group of kids would make him so happy....think bowling ball into the pins
Yup. The dogs you invest your time in for 'a good solid base training and socialization' always turn out to be the best dogs.

Ok this is probably not what you are looking for, but I just have one suggestion for you: why not adopt a dog? I know you wanted a puppy, however I believe it's possible to find a puppy from a shelter. These dogs are destined to be put down, which is incredibly sad. If you can rescue one from such a fate, it will be very, very good. Anyway it's a thought.

Ok this is probably not what you are looking for, but I just have one suggestion for you: why not adopt a dog? I know you wanted a puppy, however I believe it's possible to find a puppy from a shelter. These dogs are destined to be put down, which is incredibly sad. If you can rescue one from such a fate, it will be very, very good. Anyway it's a thought.

I had been looking at dogs in the local shelters online before our plan was put on hold. It's amazing how much can change in a year. Months ago I realized that the bizzare hours I keep, going to bed at 3+/- and up at 10+/-, is probably not a good lifestyle for a healthy dog. I'm sure it would be healthy for myself to go back to normal hours, but that ain't happening...

I had been looking at dogs in the local shelters online before our plan was put on hold. It's amazing how much can change in a year. Months ago I realized that the bizzare hours I keep, going to bed at 3+/- and up at 10+/-, is probably not a good lifestyle for a healthy dog. I'm sure it would be healthy for myself to go back to normal hours, but that ain't happening...

Good on you for thinking of the animal however you should know that dogs don’t sleep a straight 8 hours or such. THey’re den animals, always looking out for their pack so they sleep in patches.

Sounds like you sleep like a dog and the company would be welcome. Just my 0.02. ;)

Good on you for thinking of the animal however you should know that dogs don’t sleep a straight 8 hours or such. THey’re den animals, always looking out for their pack so they sleep in patches.

Sounds like you sleep like a dog and the company would be welcome. Just my 0.02. ;)

I've only discussed this with my wife, not a vet or even a dog owner. What's your opinion about caring for a dog with my hours? I'm retired and have the time while my wife is still very active and up way before me. Given her schedule she's up and out of the apartment in a few minutes. Would a dog go crazy when they need to do his/her 'business' in the morning after seeing her walk out the door and having to wait another few hours?

I've only discussed this with my wife, not a vet or even a dog owner. What's your opinion about caring for a dog with my hours? I'm retired and have the time while my wife is still very active and up way before me. Given her schedule she's up and out of the apartment in a few minutes. Would a dog go crazy when they need to do his/her 'business' in the morning after seeing her walk out the door and having to wait another few hours?
Dogs will adapt to your hours, provided that they are not left too long between trips to do their business.
If you took the dog out before bed, they should have no problem waiting until 10, business first, breakfast, then business again.
(you put it in the front end, it comes out the back end)

Now that I'm retired I have plenty of time for training and other needs, my wife and I have started looking for a dog, it will be my first. We live in a small downtown apartment with an older cat, so I think it would be better for cat /dog relations to bring in puppy. Plus I'd like the whole puppy raising experience.

Given our 1200 sq foot apartment with no yard, we'll need a small dog. I've been reading a lot about different breeds, their characteristics, training methods (it seems they're many), how to care for a dog, etc. As far as the breed goes, I don't care is it's mixed or not, we'll probably end up with a mixed breed. I've seen some pure breeds being sold for 3k. I wouldn't care if it's a mix with one of those fufu dogs with the long flowing coat because I'd always keep it very short.

I've seen a lot of terriers and I know about their reputation for barking and hyper personality. If one is crossbreed, how much would that reduce these characteristics? I'd like to find a dog from a shelter, but I don't want an older dog or one with health issues (I have enough of my own).

I'm a life long cat owner and I know owning a dog and taking care of one is like night and day. But I do know tiny bit about training, I trained two cats to sit up and one to jump on my shoulder.

Any advice?
Look for a small breed or mixed breed dog that can be exercised by just throwing a ball down the hall and occasionally walked and is content to lounge around most of the time. Miniature poodles make good apartment pets.

Dogs will adapt to your hours, provided that they are not left too long between trips to do their business.
If you took the dog out before bed, they should have no problem waiting until 10, business first, breakfast, then business again.
(you put it in the front end, it comes out the back end)

Thank you, you may have made a major change in our lives. I don't think I'll be turning into a conservative anytime soon though... ;)

Look for a small breed or mixed breed dog that can be exercised by just throwing a ball down the hall and occasionally walked and is content to lounge around most of the time. Miniature poodles make good apartment pets.

We moved from a three bedroom house with a garage into a 1200 sq ft apartment and I can't get my wife to throw anything out. If we do adopt, it'll be a small dog...

Thank you, you may have made a major change in our lives. I don't think I'll be turning into a conservative anytime soon though... ;)
🤣 Weeeellll, that'd be immaterial to my post and this thread.
The major change for the dog's life would be to have a loving and caring family.
Couple of my favorite sayings (not sure where I picked these up, but I like them)
"Dogs are some of the best people I know."
"A house isn't a home unless there's a dog in it."

be good to a dog and you have a loyal companion and protector...they are programmed to love you

unless its a chow...i dont care what martha stewart says they are mean...bite with zero warning...not a wee growl or anything..

Well, we'll probably end up with a mutt and won't have to worry about any designer issues.

Air travel is an issue. My wife is a retired airline employee and we can fly for minimum cost. She thinks the noise and being so close to other animals might be a problem, so she suggested having our dog trained as a service dog that could sit in the cabin. But I'm leaning against that as we'd receive a dog well past his puppy years and would have to bond to a new owner. Plus I've seen enough of the world to make travel a low priority.

Regarding another cat, as they say, been there done that...
Its so funny because we just adopted our first dog less than a week ago. He was rescued by CAWS from a high kill shelter in New Mexico with two days left before they euthanized him and then spent about two months with a foster mom. The shelter vet thought he might be about two years old based on his teeth but I think he might be quite a bit older. They also thought he was a mix of beagle, dachshund and chihuahua...but again, I think they're wrong because he looks more like a Jack Russel, Beagle mix with maybe some Dachsund...but definitely not Chihuahua. He's smart, doesn't bark, he doesn't destroy things and he's very loving little guy and just likes to hang out with us. But he's either not interested in playing with toys...or doesn't know how. We still have a lot to learn about him, but so far he's been the perfect dog for us. The shelter named him Sheldon and I kinda like the name so, I think we'll keep it.

We've always had cats and birds and were down to just one bird, and getting a dog was on my bucket list. My doctor said I need to walk at least an hour a day to avoid hip problems...and getting a dog will help a lot in achieving that goal. He's pretty good on a leash, too...so whoever owned him originally did a good job training him and I'm sure they probably miss him....I know I would.

Anyway, good luck with your dog search and if I can help in anyway, let me know.

Its so funny because we just adopted our first dog less than a week ago. He was rescued by CAWS from a high kill shelter in New Mexico with two days left before they euthanized him and then spent about two months with a foster mom. The shelter vet thought he might be about two years old based on his teeth but I think he might be quite a bit older. They also thought he was a mix of beagle, dachshund and chihuahua...but again, I think they're wrong because he looks more like a Jack Russel, Beagle mix with maybe some Dachsund...but definitely not Chihuahua. He's smart, doesn't bark, he doesn't destroy things and he's very loving little guy and just likes to hang out with us. But he's either not interested in playing with toys...or doesn't know how. We still have a lot to learn about him, but so far he's been the perfect dog for us. The shelter named him Sheldon and I kinda like the name so, I think we'll keep it.

We've always had cats and birds and were down to just one bird, and getting a dog was on my bucket list. My doctor said I need to walk at least an hour a day to avoid hip problems...and getting a dog will help a lot in achieving that goal. He's pretty good on a leash, too...so whoever owned him originally did a good job training him and I'm sure they probably miss him....I know I would.

Anyway, good luck with your dog search and if I can help in anyway, let me know.

Thanks, it sounds like our situations are very close...

Back
Top Bottom