• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advice For New Dog Owner

Patience. Never raise your hand other than in play, like with a ball or toy in hand. Your dog should never become afraid of your hand. Reward positive behavior with a treat, kind words, and a rub behind the ears. All the rest will sort itself out. When your dog misbehaves, just offer the hairy eyeball and a scowl, not a word need be spoken. Dogs learn your body language and react accordingly. You catch more flies with honey.

There is never a reason why any pet should be ever hit. The absolute worst punishment you can inflict on a dog is isolation. However, isolation for more than ~5 minutes becomes abuse. After just a few minutes dogs will not understand why they are being isolated and the punishment will no longer have the desired effect. A very brief isolation, and an admonition tone of voice, shows your dog your displeasure. That is all that is necessary.

As you say, dogs are doing their best to understand their owners, from their body language, tone of voice, to their behaviors. Dogs also love consistency and routines. If you feed them daily, rather than having an open bowl policy, then you want to feed them at the same time every day. It is important for dog owners to have an even temperament and respond consistently if they want a well-behaved dog.

A two year old, forever.
Most dogs have the emotional/intellectual profile of a typical two year old....both the good and the bad.
Since you're in an apartment you definitely want a SMALL dog.

Just remember this one thing...to your dog, you're a BUILDING...size wise.
Everything you do and say to them is from "the God" angle...you are towering over them and they're mostly looking up at the bipedal magic super-being talking to them.

So when you get mad, multiply what you're feeling a hundred times, hence be very gentle even when FIRM, if you're angry, count to ten and figure out how to translate that to "being disappointed" instead. Both dogs and cats are aware of when a human is disappointed in them.
And dogs definitely don't want you to be disappointed in them. And they want human touch, human contact.
So one way to express disappointment is to make a "thing" out of not letting them get that touch....you have to make a game out of it and so does your partner.

As for physical discipline, even with a very large dog, anything more than a tiny little tap on the snout is too much.
Dogs who get hit get "ruined" and it doesn't make them stop whatever bad behavior they might be engaging in either.
Sometimes it makes it get worse. The tiny gentle tap on the snout is to get their attention, nothing more...tell them "NO" firmly and give them a little tap...you can even skip the tap on the snout altogether because less is more, so if you almost never do it, on the rare occassion when you DO, it really works.
If you do it every time you tell them "NO", eventually they just think it's a game.

So waggle your finger and refuse all touch and engagement and make a show of being disappointed instead.
And, being disappointed is only relevant if you also make a big show of being pleased and proud when they do something GOOD.

As for barking...hey...if barking bugs you, do not get a dog. Dogs MUST BARK.

Now that having been said, OUR dog doesn't just bark...she groans, growls, whines, sings, howls, snorts...she has a full vocabulary. She USED to go bananas barking at dogs on the TV set but now she mostly growls or whines.
She only really barks if we encourage her...("Who's the doggie? Look at the doggie!!) or if the dog or dogs are running fast or if they are barking.

So I guess what I am getting at is, their barking is our talking so yes, we DO encourage her to speak her mind, but what we do is, we encourage to actually have a reason to speak her mind.
And the result is, when we tell her it is quiet time, she does listen.
She might start barking like crazy at something but if we "Ssshhhhh" and make the sign for quiet time, her barking changes to quiet whining or growling instead. And I can tell she's reacting to us because she will whine or growl and then look at us like,
"Okay is this alright? It's not barking."...

Cute dog. Thanks for so much for such great info! Reading about training, I was surprised to find some trainers using, what looks to me, like some pretty radical and painful methods. Until I'm convinced otherwise, I'll be using a positive reinforcement approach along with a clicker. I used a clicker to train my cats...

Dog's vision of isolation is my bed, while the cat is snoring in his bed. 120 lb Dog dominated by 3lb midget cat. :doh

She chases him around our home, especially when he wants to lie down for a nap. Keeps him trim and in shape.

Dog's vision of isolation is my bed, while the cat is snoring in his bed. 120 lb Dog dominated by 3lb midget cat. :doh

She chases him around our home, especially when he wants to lie down for a nap. Keeps him trim and in shape.

When one of my dogs reached the age of 6 or 7 I would get another puppy. Not only does the puppy keep the older dog in shape, it helps to have another dog in the house after coming home from having to put the older dog down. I can't own dogs any longer unfortunately. I live alone and after my last heat-attack I don't want to leave a dog behind.

Consider a rescue.

One trick I discovered with puppies is to keep a bag of baby carrots in the refrigerator. When you catch them chewing on something inappropriate during their teething phase, stick a baby carrot into their mouth. It is not only nutritious, but it will spare your furniture and your shoes.

Males and females also mature at different rates. Male dogs take 12 months to reach sexual maturity, and females take 18 months. You should not have them neutered or spayed until after they reach sexual maturity.

Female dogs also tend to be more intelligent than male dogs.

I've been looking at shelters, but they sure have slim pickings. Most are older, have health or behavior problems. Also the vast majority of puppies that I've found both in shelters and for sale are described as being neutered or spayed.

But reading about it now, most agree with you. I wonder why the difference?...

I've been looking at shelters, but they sure have slim pickings. Most are older, have health or behavior problems. Also the vast majority of puppies that I've found both in shelters and for sale are described as being neutered or spayed.

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims an animal has behavior problems. My first thought is that it is the owner who has the behavior problem, and not the animal. Anyone who is spaying or neutering dogs or cats before they reach sexual maturity needs to be charged with animal abuse. That could cause them serious medical issues as adults. Puppies should get their regime of shots and vaccinations, but no surgery until after they are sexually mature.

I think that's that cutest pic I've ever seen...

When one of my dogs reached the age of 6 or 7 I would get another puppy. Not only does the puppy keep the older dog in shape, it helps to have another dog in the house after coming home from having to put the older dog down. I can't own dogs any longer unfortunately. I live alone and after my last heat-attack I don't want to leave a dog behind.

It would be great if you knew someone who could and would take care of your last friend when you pass. Seems it would make the last years/months much easier. Btw, I've been to many of Alaska's cites, including Barrow twice, in the summer and winter...

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims an animal has behavior problems. My first thought is that it is the owner who has the behavior problem, and not the animal. Anyone who is spaying or neutering dogs or cats before they reach sexual maturity needs to be charged with animal abuse. That could cause them serious medical issues as adults. Puppies should get their regime of shots and vaccinations, but no surgery until after they are sexually mature.

:thumbs:

It would be great if you knew someone who could and would take care of your last friend when you pass. Seems it would make the last years/months much easier. Btw, I've been to many of Alaska's cites, including Barrow twice, in the summer and winter...

It would be great, but I don't. During the Winters in particular it could be weeks before I see another living person. If I were to die at home it will be at least several days, possibly weeks before anyone knows. My last heart-attack was in a grocery store parking lot and I had my dogs with me. They were taken to the pound by Animal Control while I was flown to the emergency room. My dogs were well treated and I was not charged for their 10 day stay while I was in the hospital.

I was fortunate to be in public at the time I had my heart-attack. Next time I may not be so lucky. Considering that all my dogs have lived 12 years or longer, and I most likely have less than 12 years left, I chose not to have another dog in my life. I don't want to live what is left of my life feeling guilty for not out-living my dog who is utterly dependent upon me.

Barrow is Utqiagvik now. They changed their name. I used to work on the north slope, but in the 29 years I have lived in Alaska, I have never visited Utqiagvik.

I consistently find that folks with little to no dog experience focus on the breed and age of the dog. That's not meant to be critical, it's just that before you ever own a dog you have these notions about them that don't exactly align with reality. The whole "Oh, I want the puppy experience" doesn't either.
First, I can't imagine having to raise a puppy in an apartment. I know many do, but putting stairs or an elevator and a hefty walk to get to the potty place in the middle of the night is a lot harder than being able to take them out your front door onto the lawn.
So I say get a dog that is potty and crate trained, if at all possible. Fostered dogs are a known quantity, even though they will pretty much all need a little refresher in potty and manners when they come into a new home.
Choose to work with a good, reputable adoption or rescue, where you can discuss who YOU are, before you decide which dog is best for you and your home. Any good rescue will guide you to the best possible outcome.

It would be great, but I don't. During the Winters in particular it could be weeks before I see another living person. If I were to die at home it will be at least several days, possibly weeks before anyone knows. My last heart-attack was in a grocery store parking lot and I had my dogs with me. They were taken to the pound by Animal Control while I was flown to the emergency room. My dogs were well treated and I was not charged for their 10 day stay while I was in the hospital.

I was fortunate to be in public at the time I had my heart-attack. Next time I may not be so lucky. Considering that all my dogs have lived 12 years or longer, and I most likely have less than 12 years left, I chose not to have another dog in my life. I don't want to live what is left of my life feeling guilty for not out-living my dog who is utterly dependent upon me.

Barrow is Utqiagvik now. They changed their name. I used to work on the north slope, but in the 29 years I have lived in Alaska, I have never visited Utqiagvik.

Hard decision, but made from love. Truly you are a dog lover.

Getting a puppy is usually best if you already have a cat. A little puppy will whine at night because it misses it's Mother. Get a wind up clock with an audible tick-tock and it will lull the puppy to sleep.

A two year old, forever.
Most dogs have the emotional/intellectual profile of a typical two year old....both the good and the bad.
Since you're in an apartment you definitely want a SMALL dog.

Just remember this one thing...to your dog, you're a BUILDING...size wise.
Everything you do and say to them is from "the God" angle...you are towering over them and they're mostly looking up at the bipedal magic super-being talking to them.

So when you get mad, multiply what you're feeling a hundred times, hence be very gentle even when FIRM, if you're angry, count to ten and figure out how to translate that to "being disappointed" instead. Both dogs and cats are aware of when a human is disappointed in them.
And dogs definitely don't want you to be disappointed in them. And they want human touch, human contact.
So one way to express disappointment is to make a "thing" out of not letting them get that touch....you have to make a game out of it and so does your partner.

As for physical discipline, even with a very large dog, anything more than a tiny little tap on the snout is too much.
Dogs who get hit get "ruined" and it doesn't make them stop whatever bad behavior they might be engaging in either.
Sometimes it makes it get worse. The tiny gentle tap on the snout is to get their attention, nothing more...tell them "NO" firmly and give them a little tap...you can even skip the tap on the snout altogether because less is more, so if you almost never do it, on the rare occassion when you DO, it really works.
If you do it every time you tell them "NO", eventually they just think it's a game.

So waggle your finger and refuse all touch and engagement and make a show of being disappointed instead.
And, being disappointed is only relevant if you also make a big show of being pleased and proud when they do something GOOD.

As for barking...hey...if barking bugs you, do not get a dog. Dogs MUST BARK.

Now that having been said, OUR dog doesn't just bark...she groans, growls, whines, sings, howls, snorts...she has a full vocabulary. She USED to go bananas barking at dogs on the TV set but now she mostly growls or whines.
She only really barks if we encourage her...("Who's the doggie? Look at the doggie!!) or if the dog or dogs are running fast or if they are barking.

So I guess what I am getting at is, their barking is our talking so yes, we DO encourage her to speak her mind, but what we do is, we encourage to actually have a reason to speak her mind.
And the result is, when we tell her it is quiet time, she does listen.
She might start barking like crazy at something but if we "Ssshhhhh" and make the sign for quiet time, her barking changes to quiet whining or growling instead. And I can tell she's reacting to us because she will whine or growl and then look at us like,
"Okay is this alright? It's not barking."

View attachment 67280990

If you really need to discipline them and make it stick, banish them from your presence for three or four minutes. That’s all it takes.

Dogs are pack animals and they cant stand being banished.

I got Champ from a county animal rescue. For $50 they fixed her, tended to her health, gave her her shots, and installed a chip.

That was the most I ever paid for a dog. The others were found on the road, or “free to a good home”. You might try that.

Don’t think about it so much. Having a dog is an emotional commitment. Dogs have personalities and emotions. If you find that challenging, get another cat.

You’re right as fare as I can see regarding owners who have behavior problems.

Too many people treat a pet like furniture or an accessory, to be trotted out and cooed at when it suits them. Too often, these people freak out when their dog acts like a dog.

And if you want to have a well adjusted dog, let it run loose regularly, and let it get socialized. You’ll have a very confident, friendly and well behaved dog!

Funny story.

Just married moved into an apartment. Balanced a pencil 1/2 over the edge of the coffee table. Went for a long weekend and came back. The pencil was exactly where I'd left it. Drove me nuts.

We got 2 kittens shortly there after, as the apartment was too small for the dog that I'd want. never had to worry about a pencil left that way ever again. :)

Got our first house. Still had the cats. Soon thereafter got a puppy.

The cats trained him right quick, as they still had their claws. :)
Never had to worry about the dog and the cats.

View attachment 67281039
Here's a picture of our oldest when she was a toddler and Buster Brown, our first dog. I think Buster was 3 years old then, and a kind hearted soul.
Best friends.

I do still miss him, even after all these years. Yes, pets do in fact become family.

Buster looks like a larger version of Betty Boop for sure.
Very nice picture...cute youngun.
Love the Ishfahan, by the way, looks to be about mid 19th century or so.
We do HAVE a set of ancient nesting tables but unfortunately my brother got them...oh well.

Boops absolutely adores our tuxedo female, and regards our calico as her "toy" even though the "toy" occasionally chases her instead, and then we hear them scamper into the next room followed by a sharp yelp and a very satisfied calico walking back out. :lamo

But she loves em both. Seems like our tuxedo (Fiona) loves her more, she gives Betty Boop kisses, cuteness overload.

Cute dog. Thanks for so much for such great info! Reading about training, I was surprised to find some trainers using, what looks to me, like some pretty radical and painful methods. Until I'm convinced otherwise, I'll be using a positive reinforcement approach along with a clicker. I used a clicker to train my cats...

Clicker and a spray bottle for serious issues, yes.
Again, with the spray bottle, less is more...the cat should never be able to anticipate its first use or subsequent uses because once the element of surprise goes away, it only serves to inspire the cat for revenge :lamo

Anyone who is spaying or neutering dogs or cats before they reach sexual maturity needs to be charged with animal abuse. That could cause them serious medical issues as adults. Puppies should get their regime of shots and vaccinations, but no surgery until after they are sexually mature.

Wow, my Italian maternal grandmother (who came from the old country) said the same thing:
Animals MUST reach maturity before spay or neuter.
Actually her real theory was that they be allowed to have one litter before spay and males must be allowed to breed at least once before neuter, but she agreed that at the very least they must reach maturity before anything is done.
She was convinced it made for healthier animals.

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims an animal has behavior problems. My first thought is that it is the owner who has the behavior problem, and not the animal.

Well said, those are words of wisdom and so few understand or accept that fact. We are the humans, so the animals are a reflection of OUR mental and emotional status.
A good friend of mine in the film biz happens to be a fairly neurotic type, always complaining, worrying or bitching about something. Their dog suffers from a wide variety of health issues, skin problems, behavioral issues, digestive problems...they have to get special food ordered and brought in every week because apparently she is unable to digest anything else.

The poor dog is basically an outward projection of his personality type, and even though their dog is very very similar to ours, he can't figure out why ours is so healthy and happy while his is miserable.
I don't believe he is intentionally being crappy to the dog...it's just that he's such a worry-wart neurotic that the dog picks up on it 100 percent.

Well said, Mr. Glitch, I am sure your dogs loved you very much.

If you really need to discipline them and make it stick, banish them from your presence for three or four minutes. That’s all it takes.

Dogs are pack animals and they cant stand being banished.

That is how we do our "disappointed" bit.
We make a "show" of it and act as a unified front.

Boops tries to go to me: NO SALE, then she tries "Mommy" and Mommy ain't buying it either ("Nope you ain't sucking up to me, you were bad.") and she turns her back, then Boops tries the kids and they do the same thing.

You can actually SEE the "gears turning in her head" as she tries to figure out that she did something wrong.

Wow, my Italian maternal grandmother (who came from the old country) said the same thing:
Animals MUST reach maturity before spay or neuter.
Actually her real theory was that they be allowed to have one litter before spay and males must be allowed to breed at least once before neuter, but she agreed that at the very least they must reach maturity before anything is done.
She was convinced it made for healthier animals.

Well said, those are words of wisdom and so few understand or accept that fact. We are the humans, so the animals are a reflection of OUR mental and emotional status.
A good friend of mine in the film biz happens to be a fairly neurotic type, always complaining, worrying or bitching about something. Their dog suffers from a wide variety of health issues, skin problems, behavioral issues, digestive problems...they have to get special food ordered and brought in every week because apparently she is unable to digest anything else.

The poor dog is basically an outward projection of his personality type, and even though their dog is very very similar to ours, he can't figure out why ours is so healthy and happy while his is miserable.
I don't believe he is intentionally being crappy to the dog...it's just that he's such a worry-wart neurotic that the dog picks up on it 100 percent.

Well said, Mr. Glitch, I am sure your dogs loved you very much.

Males mature in 12 months, females mature in 18 months. Dogs should not be spayed or neutered before then.

I chose not to neuter my last dog because I was determined to extend his life as long as possible. The studies I read showed that dogs from the same litter that were not neutered lived on average 20% longer than those that were. Considering that he was a Beorboel (South African Mastiff) with an expected life-span of just 10 years, I wanted to prolong that as much as possible. He had the best diet and regular exercise, but I attribute the fact that he was intact to why he managed to live for 12 years and 2 months. I had to put him down after a tumor on his bladder had burst.

Your dogs must have freaked out being taken away from you for 10+ days. And it sure sounds like you live an adventurous life.

I'd like to ask many more questions about Alaska, but in some other thread :) ...

Cage training as a puppy is imperative. You want to keep that cute, lovable rascal in your lap or playing with the children and let it run and play, and in doing so you will have a lifetime of picking up **** and sopping up piss. The fist month the dog should be caged more than be out. Let it out to play only after it does its business outside. If it doesn't -- cage them, wait an hour, take them back outside, repeat until it does its business. If it does go stinky, give it a little treat outside as soon as its done, with a good petting and lots of praise. Bring it in and let it play for 1/2 hour to hour and then back in the cage. 3 weeks of this will save you a life time of hassle. As this progresses you must then take the dog out at set times every day. It is a small accomplishment to get a dog to go outside, the trick is to get it to go when YOU say so. Cage it every night before bed and anytime it will be alone at least for the first 3 years. Letting it out after that on a trial basis to see how it responds.

Also remember they think in pack mentality, and you must always be the Alpha. This means no kissy face, no eating before you eat, no allowing on furniture. Keep a tight leash on it when walking and always make sure you're one step in front of it.

If you have small children, or if they are prone to be around and you don't want an aggressive dog, avoid too long of bouts of tug of war. Let them have a few pulls and then release.

Handle any nips, soft mouths, or biting with extreme prejudice.

To the rest, getting it to sit, roll over, all that stuff, I will let another tell it, as the only command I've ever forced on my dogs is "Stay" and "Cage". To which it will stop dead in its tracks and go no further. Cage, as it implies is to send it to its cage either as punishment or if you'd lock it up.

I love my buddy more than I do most people and would gladly protect it from any danger I could. That being said, I remember and so must you that in the end, it is a dog and you are its Master. Keep that at the front of your mind and more importantly the dog's and you will have years of wonderful memories, good times, and a loyal companion.

Your dogs must have freaked out being taken away from you for 10+ days. And it sure sounds like you live an adventurous life.

I'd like to ask many more questions about Alaska, but in some other thread :) ...

My Alaskan Husky freaked out at the drop of a hat, she didn't need an excuse. She had to get regular exercise or she would become hyper-active. My Beorbeol was very laid back and low energy. Nothing excited him except for food. Behaviorally, they were exact opposites.

I could never keep my Husky from harassing the wild-life, so I usually left her alone at home when I went hunting or fishing. I brought my Beorbeol however, because he behaved very differently. If he saw what he perceived as a threat, he would insert himself between me and the threat, stop, and just silently watch to see what happens next. He never barked or chased the wild-life. He was only interested in protecting me and staying by my side.

I have had numerous encounters with bears and moose, and I have never had to defend myself against them because of my dogs. I can see sign and track and surmise they are ahead of me, but my dogs always knew for certain when there was something on the trial ahead. It is also a good idea to have dogs around when foraging, because you are focusing on harvesting and not as much on your surrounding environment.

My Beorboel was also critical when taking caribou. At 135 pounds, and a strong desire to pull things, he was vital at helping me pack out ~160 pounds of dressed caribou. It is against Alaska law to defend your game, and predators begin showing up within an hour after you make the kill. As long as you are with your game, cleaning it, you are okay. However, once you leave to take your game back to your vehicle those predators will be all over what is left of the carcass. So having my Boerboel haul ~50 pounds on a make-shift sled, I was able to pack out the remaining ~110 pounds in a single trip and leave nothing for the other predators.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom