• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Advice For New Dog Owner

Its so funny because we just adopted our first dog less than a week ago. He was rescued by CAWS from a high kill shelter in New Mexico with two days left before they euthanized him and then spent about two months with a foster mom. The shelter vet thought he might be about two years old based on his teeth but I think he might be quite a bit older. They also thought he was a mix of beagle, dachshund and chihuahua...but again, I think they're wrong because he looks more like a Jack Russel, Beagle mix with maybe some Dachsund...but definitely not Chihuahua. He's smart, doesn't bark, he doesn't destroy things and he's very loving little guy and just likes to hang out with us. But he's either not interested in playing with toys...or doesn't know how. We still have a lot to learn about him, but so far he's been the perfect dog for us. The shelter named him Sheldon and I kinda like the name so, I think we'll keep it.

We've always had cats and birds and were down to just one bird, and getting a dog was on my bucket list. My doctor said I need to walk at least an hour a day to avoid hip problems...and getting a dog will help a lot in achieving that goal. He's pretty good on a leash, too...so whoever owned him originally did a good job training him and I'm sure they probably miss him....I know I would
Anyway, good luck with your dog search and if I can help in anyway, let me know.
lucky guy

sheldon, too

I've only discussed this with my wife, not a vet or even a dog owner. What's your opinion about caring for a dog with my hours? I'm retired and have the time while my wife is still very active and up way before me. Given her schedule she's up and out of the apartment in a few minutes. Would a dog go crazy when they need to do his/her 'business' in the morning after seeing her walk out the door and having to wait another few hours?

Not at all. The thing about dogs is this: they adapt to *us*. It’s how they survive, remember? They depend on us for *everything*.

So: for “business reasons” a dog only needs to go out 3-4 times a day. Their bladders aren’t like ours, and they can hold themselves for 10-12 hours if need be. Longer if its raining (****ing dogs).

I would recommend getting a dog that fits your llfestyle, adopt an older dog (older can mean 2 or 3, not 10…although man old dogs are awesome) - generally with older what you see is what you get temperament wise.

If you want a dog, they’re the easiest thing to fit into your life. They mostly want to be next to you, get belly rubs, and walks. Easy animals. :)

First thing I did when we got a dog was erect a fence. Then, we got a second dog. Wife wants a third. I'm happy with two. It's a bone of contention.

First thing I did when we got a dog was erect a fence. Then, we got a second dog. Wife wants a third. I'm happy with two. It's a bone of contention.

I've been reading about people using children's playpen fencing in apartments. Two or three dogs? That's a debate you can sink your teeth into. I filed the form to adopt a Cairn Terrier mix from a shelter on Monday. She was picked off the streets of Ensenada and has only been in San Diego for just over a week. They estimate her to be just under year old, but still not housetrained, which I've been reading is common with dogs in her situation. Housetraining a dog from the 23rd floor should be a challenge...

the third dog always resents the two handed owner....

Well we picked up our new dog on Monday and named her Astra. She's much smaller than I had thought judging from the pictures the shelter posted. Her back stands only 12" tall and weighs 8.6 lbs. She crossed the border from Ensenada just two weeks ago on the 2nd. They called her a 'Cairn mix', she's definitely a terrier mix, but I think they pulled the word Cairn out of their gazoo.

We went to the pet store and bought one of everything in sight. An hour after we got home she pissed on her brand new bed. I think housebreaking a one year old dog will take its toll on our patience and wood floors. Although she has been doing her business while on a leash and on our walks also. I tried pads without success although I suppose I should continue trying in case of heavy rain (it does happen here occasionally).

While walking (my legs are worn out already) she'll pause to look at another dog or smell something on the ground. So this morning while crossing a street, she paused and when I looked down she was taking a cr_p in the middle of the street! We acrossed and just when I turned around to use a doggie bag (not sure what they're called) it got run over. So far she prefers to do her business on sidewalks and astro-turf instead of grass.

But she's an awesome dog who follows me everywhere. She'll follow me when I walk between the couch and the thermostat in the living room. The more I look at her the more she looks like the prototype mutt to me...
The 1st pic was taken right after a haircut, the 2nd and 3rd after we picked her up.

Attachments

• 79243163_500x356.jpg
    79243163_500x356.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4317463444347855475.jpg
    4317463444347855475.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210617_103612-Reduced.jpg
    20210617_103612-Reduced.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
Well we picked up our new dog on Monday and named her Astra. She's much smaller than I had thought judging from the pictures the shelter posted. Her back stands only 12" tall and weighs 8.6 lbs. She crossed the border from Ensenada just two weeks ago on the 2nd. They called her a 'Cairn mix', she's definitely a terrier mix, but I think they pulled the word Cairn out of their gazoo.

We went to the pet store and bought one of everything in sight. An hour after we got home she pissed on her brand new bed. I think housebreaking a one year old dog will take its toll on our patience and wood floors. Although she has been doing her business while on a leash and on our walks also. I tried pads without success although I suppose I should continue trying in case of heavy rain (it does happen here occasionally).

While walking (my legs are worn out already) she'll pause to look at another dog or smell something on the ground. So this morning while crossing a street, she paused and when I looked down she was taking a cr_p in the middle of the street! We acrossed and just when I turned around to use a doggie bag (not sure what they're called) it got run over. So far she prefers to do her business on sidewalks and astro-turf instead of grass.

But she's an awesome dog who follows me everywhere. She'll follow me when I walk between the couch and the thermostat in the living room. The more I look at her the more she looks like the prototype mutt to me...
The 1st pic was taken right after a haircut, the 2nd and 3rd after we picked her up.
this is great
expect periodic updates on her efforts to get you properly trained

My brother and his woman took me to Ensenada by boat a few years back, a nice town. Was there a quarantine period between countries?

My brother and his woman took me to Ensenada by boat a few years back, a nice town. Was there a quarantine period between countries?

There's no quarantine, it's pretty easy to bring a dog in, most don't require vaccines. Although my dog came across the border just recently, she was in a shelter in Mexico and started her vaccinations and booster shots at the end of March. She came with a, "Talon de Vacunacion" from the Mexican Gov...

My advice would be to think long and hard before you get a dog. They require an almost a child-like commitment if you do it right....
??? Do what? Thats a lot work. I have working dogs they are not as much work as children Not by a long shot.

Attachment? It's a picture on DP.
Betty Boop is about thirty five pounds and about 20 inches high at the shoulder, so not huge at all.
Ummmm, a Louis XIV antique chest does not contain termites...hate to dissolve your view of antiques, it's a very solid piece of furniture.
The clock on top of it was originally in one of Napoleon's palaces, it was made specifically for Napoleon himself.

4EjQvMq.jpg
I deny all knowledge of that clock. But seriously, I wouldn’t let the beastie near beautiful antique pieces like that until they’ve finished teething and have learned that furniture is not a chew toy.

I deny all knowledge of that clock. But seriously, I wouldn’t let the beastie near beautiful antique pieces like that until they’ve finished teething and have learned that furniture is not a chew toy.

The dog cannot access the living room because we have a pet gate at the moment.
But I think it may be long past time to get rid of the gate because Boops is now an adult dog and pretty well behaved other than doing silly stuff.
But her natural puppy destructiveness appears to have resided.

She never showed any interest in the furniture, just the antique rugs.
PS: I don't remember blowing that picture up that large, and if I did, apologies because I know many access this site on their phones, so
I normally try to shrink it down a bit.

CLOCK Napoleon clock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom