• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Adopted girl says mother forced her to dig her own grave

Horrible (assuming it's true). How can people do things like that to kids?

Horrible (assuming it's true). How can people do things like that to kids?

People do horrible things like to their own children. I am not sure there is anything that can be done. There will always be gaps.

People do horrible things like to their own children. I am not sure there is anything that can be done. There will always be gaps.

Mental illness is everywhere. So is evil.

Mental illness is everywhere. So is evil.

Those are just the tip of the iceberg. Substance abuse, apathy, narcissism, dehumanizing people, especially children, polarization, radicalization....the list goes on. One of the most relevant things I have heard was in the coverage for Sandy Hook I think. A trauma psychologist pointed out that it wasn't just that shooters are at fault, but that society feeds their marginalization and mental issues with things like polarizing political rhetoric and you must win at all cost mantras, and the host pretty much kaboshed the whole issue because it didn't serve his own narrative to hype the fear in people of guns.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Maybe they were good parents and were just trying the "scared straight" method.

Nothing like making your kid dig his own grave to keep them in line.

This is just one more reason supporting the assertion that the state has no place in regulating parents and children. Who is the state to tell this mother she can't abuse her kids as she see fits? This is just an intrusion intro privacy. I mean, we can deny kids healthcare but we can't make them dig their own graves? What's next? We can't bring them into religious cults that place their lives in danger? This is an affront to freedom of parenthood. Endangering my kids is a right damn it.

This is why Libbos shouod worry less about who gets to own a gun and more about who gets to be a parent.

This is why Libbos shouod worry less about who gets to own a gun and more about who gets to be a parent.

So, should permits be required to have children? Including a background check? How about a $5K license fee (goes into the child's education or SS fund)?

So, should permits be required to have children? Including a background check? How about a $5K license fee (goes into the child's education or SS fund)?

I could almost agree with this in theory, but reality says no. If we were to go that step, giving them up at birth to the State for raising is the next step.

Who is to judge who is worthy of procreating?

I could almost agree with this in theory, but reality says no. If we were to go that step, giving them up at birth to the State for raising is the next step.

Who is to judge who is worthy of procreating?

The use of slippery slope arguments prevents anything from ever being changed. So, respectfully, I dismiss them. Everything can lead to something. Better to just stay in bed.

When I want to drive, I will be judged by a DMV employee. When I want a pill for my pain, I will be judged by a Doctor. When I am accused of a crime, I will be judged by a bunch of soap opera watching unemployed people. When my country goes to war, it will be judged by spies and generals. So, it doesn't seem implausible to create and enforce standards for bringing new life into the world.

The concept of permits for breeding would be relatively obvious and the $5K license fee alone would elevate the standards. Not that anything so sensible would ever be considered in a nation that won't even allow the dying to die. A nation that embraces illegal immigrants. More "souls" for Jesus I assume is the objective.

I'll be dead soon so it's not really my problem. But dammit, I certainly have good ideas and where better to express them to the intelligentsia of DP:roll:

The use of slippery slope arguments prevents anything from ever being changed. So, respectfully, I dismiss them. Everything can lead to something. Better to just stay in bed.

When I want to drive, I will be judged by a DMV employee. When I want a pill for my pain, I will be judged by a Doctor. When I am accused of a crime, I will be judged by a bunch of soap opera watching unemployed people. When my country goes to war, it will be judged by spies and generals. So, it doesn't seem implausible to create and enforce standards for bringing new life into the world.

The concept of permits for breeding would be relatively obvious and the $5K license fee alone would elevate the standards. Not that anything so sensible would ever be considered in a nation that won't even allow the dying to die. A nation that embraces illegal immigrants. More "souls" for Jesus I assume is the objective.

I'll be dead soon so it's not really my problem. But dammit, I certainly have good ideas and where better to express them to the intelligentsia of DP:roll:

Some things are more a slippery slope than others.

To involve (a supposed) government entity in judging who should or should not procreate, and levy a $5000 fee to do so, you are advocating an elitist society that would be doomed for collapse. Not only that, but to prevent couples from procreating because they don't meet those judgemental standards would require enforced sterilization.

Invoking Godwin here.....

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Maybe they were good parents and were just trying the "scared straight" method.

Nothing like making your kid dig his own grave to keep them in line.

Hatuey said:
...Who is the state to tell this mother she can't abuse her kids as she see fits?...This is an affront to freedom of parenthood. Endangering my kids is a right damn it.

ta55365_DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Terrible stories of child abuse out side of the adoption system were parents put adds up online to take their children . There are even more accounts of this happing in a study by
Reuters .

Adopted girl says mother forced her to dig her own grave - Investigations

The whole series from Reuters is making me sick to my stomach. As a parent who adopted internationally, I can't even fathom ever "re-homing" my kids. The psychological damage being done to kids who are already damaged is disgusting.

Yes, my kids have had problematic behaviors, but that's part of what you sign up for.

What's sad is that these kids welfare is at stake. And there is no outcry for the government to do anything.

Typical. This isn't about people doing the wrong thing, it's about "Libbos."

Who cares about these kids being "re-homed?" I mean as long as they can own guns, that's what's really important isn't it?

The whole series from Reuters is making me sick to my stomach. As a parent who adopted internationally, I can't even fathom ever "re-homing" my kids. The psychological damage being done to kids who are already damaged is disgusting.

Yes, my kids have had problematic behaviors, but that's part of what you sign up for.

What's sad is that these kids welfare is at stake. And there is no outcry for the government to do anything.

What would you like "the government" to do?

Who cares about these kids being "re-homed?" I mean as long as they can own guns, that's what's really important isn't it?

What does the 2nd amendment have to do with this case?

Since you totally missed my point, it could only mean you're just tryong to start some ****.

What would you like "the government" to do?

These sort of illegal arrangements need to be cracked down on. These children are at risk. If you read the whole Reuters report, you'll see a story about a boy being "re-homed" in another state with a pedophile.

If governments are going to have a say in who gets to adopt (which they do), they should be looking at these "under the table" adoptions. If these kids were adopted internationally (which many were), they were OKed by the Departments of State and Homeland Security. Yet once they get in the country, the government turns a blind eye.

I find it disturbing that someone who is pro-life seems to think that this is about small government. Do you even care about the kids' welfare, or are they on their own after birth?

Since you totally missed my point, it could only mean you're just tryong to start some ****.

Care to elaborate on your "point?" Because all I saw was deflection and blame.

His point was that the 'libbos' are to blame, just as they are to blame for everything. He has no point beyond that.

Sounds like that mother took a page from Boss Keanes book from Cool Hand Luke.

Some things are more a slippery slope than others.

To involve (a supposed) government entity in judging who should or should not procreate, and levy a $5000 fee to do so, you are advocating an elitist society that would be doomed for collapse. Not only that, but to prevent couples from procreating because they don't meet those judgemental standards would require enforced sterilization.

Invoking Godwin here.....

OK, since the current system is working so well, I guess I'll have to call my people off and solve a different planet's problems.

OK, since the current system is working so well, I guess I'll have to call my people off and solve a different planet's problems.

I didn't say the current system was working well, but there are other options besides judging people and imposing fees.

Back
Top Bottom