• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Adobe Hacked.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Adobe says hackers accessed data for 2.9 million customers.....

Adobe Systems said Thursday that hackers had accessed personal data for nearly 3 million of its customers.

The attackers "removed from our systems certain information relating to 2.9 million Adobe (ADBE) customers, including customer names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and other information relating to customer orders," Arkin wrote. The company is in the process of notifying customers whose card information was involved in the incident, and is resetting the relevant customer passwords.

The hackers also took source code for a number of Adobe products, Arkin said.....snip~

Adobe says hackers accessed data for 2.9 million customers - Oct. 3, 2013

These guys are getting into anything and everything. Resetting passwords wont make up for encrypted credit or debit card numbers. I think U tube is one of their Customers too. As they were also having problems.

I am more worried about the source code that was stolen... screw the personal details. ... source code is very dangerous.

13 members of the group Anonymous were busted recently.

I don't if these particular hackers had anything to do with the hacking of Adobe but it does show they (whoever they are) seem to be getting better at catching hackers.

US indicts 13 suspected members of Anonymous hacking collective | Technology | theguardian.com

Mornin Moot.
hat.gif
Yeah I remember just a few months ago they busted hackers across the country. Which we know several were giving deals to work for us.

13 members of the group Anonymous were busted recently.

I don't if these particular hackers had anything to do with the hacking of Adobe but it does show they (whoever they are) seem to be getting better at catching hackers.

US indicts 13 suspected members of Anonymous hacking collective | Technology | theguardian.com

Well Anonymous is more a political hacker group than a thieving hacker group... rather have Anonymous around keeping our government and big business honest than having the thieving hacker types..

Mornin Moot.
hat.gif
Yeah I remember just a few months ago they busted hackers across the country. Which we know several were giving deals to work for us.
Hey, MMC.

Who is "us"?

Well Anonymous is more a political hacker group than a thieving hacker group... rather have Anonymous around keeping our government and big business honest than having the thieving hacker types..
They were breaking into credit card websites. That goes beyond being political...imo. One could easily say they were robbing a bank for political reasons, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

The United States brought criminal charges against 13 suspected members of the hacking group Anonymous on Thursday for allegedly attacking government, credit card and lobbying websites in a campaign in support of internet file-sharing.

They were breaking into credit card websites. That goes beyond being political...imo. One could easily say they were robbing a bank for political reasons, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

yea but were they Anonymous or is the US government just claiming they were to tarnish a political organisation that has embarrassed the US government?

yea but were they Anonymous or is the US government just claiming they were to tarnish a political organisation that has embarrassed the US government?

It was Anonymous. They said they attacked the credit card companies because they weren't processing payments for WikiLeaks....

"...Targets of the campaign, allegedly dubbed Operation Payback, included Visa Inc., V +0.97%MasterCard Inc. MA +0.64%and Bank of America Corp., BAC +0.36%as well as the Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America, according to the indictment filed in the eastern district of Virginia.

The hackers allegedly attacked the credit-card companies because they weren't processing payments for WikiLeaks, the antisecrecy website that has published thousands of leaked government documents.MasterCard faced at least $5,000 in losses from the attacks during a one-year period, the indictment says....."

Jury Indicts 13 for Suspected Hacking of Congress, Bank Websites - WSJ.com

It was Anonymous. They said they attacked the credit card companies because they weren't processing payments for WikiLeaks....

"...Targets of the campaign, allegedly dubbed Operation Payback, included Visa Inc., V +0.97%MasterCard Inc. MA +0.64%and Bank of America Corp., BAC +0.36%as well as the Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America, according to the indictment filed in the eastern district of Virginia.

The hackers allegedly attacked the credit-card companies because they weren't processing payments for WikiLeaks, the antisecrecy website that has published thousands of leaked government documents.MasterCard faced at least $5,000 in losses from the attacks during a one-year period, the indictment says....."

Jury Indicts 13 for Suspected Hacking of Congress, Bank Websites - WSJ.com

That was DOS attacks. They did not steal anything as far as I can see.. any losses was due to paying a geek to figure out why no one could access their site. Regardless, these prosecutions are politically motivated more than they are criminally motivated. Anonymous and Wikileaks are a thorn in the side of the US and we know what Bush, Obama and the US government does to whistleblowers....

Adobe says hackers accessed data for 2.9 million customers.....

Adobe Systems said Thursday that hackers had accessed personal data for nearly 3 million of its customers.

The attackers "removed from our systems certain information relating to 2.9 million Adobe (ADBE) customers, including customer names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and other information relating to customer orders," Arkin wrote. The company is in the process of notifying customers whose card information was involved in the incident, and is resetting the relevant customer passwords.

The hackers also took source code for a number of Adobe products, Arkin said.....snip~

Adobe says hackers accessed data for 2.9 million customers - Oct. 3, 2013

These guys are getting into anything and everything. Resetting passwords wont make up for encrypted credit or debit card numbers. I think U tube is one of their Customers too. As they were also having problems.

I'm afraid mostly for the potential abuse of that source code. It could open up holes in websites across the map. The credit/debit numbers are completely useless to them; they were encrypted for this very scenario, and that encryption is likely to require thousands or more years to crack. There's some fear of them using that data to track people across the net, but not really any fear of them getting access to the money involved.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if the source code breach leads to some "interesting" open source projects. Although using that code would be completely illegal, clean room reverse engineering has been deemed legal, on numerous occasions. If they choose to anonymously post pseudocode derivations of the Source code, I'm pretty sure it'd be legal for open source groups to base code off of the pseudocode. Could they go after Open Source programmers for making code like Adobe's? I doubt it.

That was DOS attacks. They did not steal anything as far as I can see.. any losses was due to paying a geek to figure out why no one could access their site. Regardless, these prosecutions are politically motivated more than they are criminally motivated. Anonymous and Wikileaks are a thorn in the side of the US and we know what Bush, Obama and the US government does to whistleblowers....

Overwhelming a website is one thing, but stealing personal data and information from millions of innocent people is another. The political excuse doesn't hold water.

Remember the SLA? They robbed banks for political reasons, too.

Overwhelming a website is one thing, but stealing personal data and information from millions of innocent people is another.

I agree... but ultimately taking that data and exposing it to the public is relatively harmless and exposes things like massive security holes or in the case of Wikileaks.. war crimes. Now had they taken the personal information and used it to steal money.. then that is another matter, but this is where it gets tricky, especially with a very loose organisation like Anonymous.

The political excuse doesn't hold water.

That is only if you believe what the banks and government are saying. Usually hacking banks gets hushed up.. but why not now?

Remember the SLA? They robbed banks for political reasons, too.

And the whole banking industry robbed the taxpayer... see what I did there? :)

My point is we often believe what the government says about such groups without any real evidence because in many cases it is all top secret. Like it or not the government has a massive motive in shutting down whistle blowers like Anonymous because for one.. they embarrassed the government by exposing secrets that in many cases were actual crimes as well. That is why Wikileaks and the original Anonymous idea is so important to have around these days.

I agree... but ultimately taking that data and exposing it to the public is relatively harmless and exposes things like massive security holes or in the case of Wikileaks.. war crimes. Now had they taken the personal information and used it to steal money.. then that is another matter, but this is where it gets tricky, especially with a very loose organisation like Anonymous.

That is only if you believe what the banks and government are saying. Usually hacking banks gets hushed up.. but why not now?

And the whole banking industry robbed the taxpayer... see what I did there? :)

My point is we often believe what the government says about such groups without any real evidence because in many cases it is all top secret. Like it or not the government has a massive motive in shutting down whistle blowers like Anonymous because for one.. they embarrassed the government by exposing secrets that in many cases were actual crimes as well. That is why Wikileaks and the original Anonymous idea is so important to have around these days.

I have mixed feelings about Anonymous. The rebel in me likes that they can stick it to the government once in awhile...but they aren't doing it for the greater good.....they're doing it for revenge on companies who think people should actually pay for their products instead of getting everything for free on the internet. For instance, musicians and artists would love to get paid for their work instead of everyone getting their talent and hard work for free off the internet. How can musicians, artists or even studios that make movies compete or even stay in business if everyone can download their work for free? Seriously where does Anonymous get off thinking they don't have to pay for services and products they use just because its on the internet?

That said, I totally agree with you about how the government treats whistleblowers like Snowden. But he didn't do it for profit, or revenge or free music and film downloads like Anonymous does. Instead his motives were altruistic at what he saw as his own government violating the constitution. I think he was very brave and we need more people like him rather than shady anonymous charcters running amok simply because they can.

I am more worried about the source code that was stolen... screw the personal details. ... source code is very dangerous.

omg,weaponized source code,the world is doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omg,weaponized source code,the world is doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not far from the truth. Do you use PDF files? What if hackers had access to the source code and are able to put in sniffers or back doors in PDF files? Think your bank would mind that? With source code it is much easier to find holes and exploits that in turn can be used to hack you, your bank and your family. Just saying.... you can change your password for your bank account and email, but you can only do that if you are not compromised electronically.. no point in changing your password if the hacker can just read the new one once you type it in... because he had access to the source code of a program you use, and found a bug he can exploit.

God dammit... they took my details since i own an old edition of illustrator.

Enjoy my fake name and street address hackers. There is no such thing as mister Bulangiu (sort of jackass in romanian).

Counterfit products?

Back
Top Bottom