• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Adapting to repression?

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I have an extra measure of respect for anyone who admits that they have very little to no control over who governs them. Typical Cubans, not the ones that get special government favors, are the most adaptable I have ever met. Another group is those who work for IT sweatshops in India. While I have never been to India, I have spoken to Indian workers that tell me in detail. Can you think of other people who have been effective at adapting to repression?

Also, next time you criticize someone's political lean, consider just how little power they have over how their country is governed.

I don't respect people who "adapt to repression".

I have an extra measure of respect for anyone who admits that they have very little to no control over who governs them. Typical Cubans, not the ones that get special government favors, are the most adaptable I have ever met. Another group is those who work for IT sweatshops in India. While I have never been to India, I have spoken to Indian workers that tell me in detail. Can you think of other people who have been effective at adapting to repression?

Also, next time you criticize someone's political lean, consider just how little power they have over how their country is governed.

Keep in mind too that humans can adapt to most anything, we are very good at that (well, we used to be anyways, this Global Warming business indicates that we dont think that we can do it anymore)....this is why humans have come so far as we have....before Western Civilization began its collapse.

I have an extra measure of respect for anyone who admits that they have very little to no control over who governs them.

Thank you for your compliment.

I have always known that I have NO voice who governs me.

Since I live in California, you can understand why I have given up!

Can you think of other people who have been effective at adapting to repression?

How about the Chinese?

The Beijing government says: "Let us be your dictators. In return, you can have the freedom to make lots of money."

The people respond: "Okey-doke."

Thank you for your compliment.

I have always known that I have NO voice who governs me.

Since I live in California, you can understand why I have given up!

That would change if we, across the board, we made elections more democratic, and elected officials through an overall popular vote, instead of having states and districts vote in the stead of the individuals who make up those states and districts. Personally, I'm a left-leaner in conservative-leaning state, and I don't expect my vote for the presidency to count for anything anytime soon.

How about the Chinese?

The Beijing government says: "Let us be your dictators. In return, you can have the freedom to make lots of money."

The people respond: "Okey-doke."

Well, better than it was before.

Give them a little slack, they are getting from where we were in 1300 to a modern society very quickly. Give it another 50 years and I expect it will be much better.

Personally, I'm a left-leaner in conservative-leaning state, and I don't expect my vote for the presidency to count for anything anytime soon.

That's how Republicans and Independents feel in California.

That would change if we, across the board, we made elections more democratic, and elected officials through an overall popular vote, instead of having states and districts vote in the stead of the individuals who make up those states and districts. Personally, I'm a left-leaner in conservative-leaning state, and I don't expect my vote for the presidency to count for anything anytime soon.

:roll:

Every elected position in the United States except the President is done by popular vote. This is because we have a sort of dual citizenship, being citizens of a particular State and citizens of a Country.

You are taxed both by your State and by the Federal government.

As has been explained ad nauseam in other threads, the Electoral College was designed to prevent a tyranny of the Majority at the Federal level, something most of the Founding Father's feared. That's why originally only members of the House of Representatives were elected by popular vote so people had a say in taxation, while BOTH the President and members of the Senate were selected via State methodologies to maintain State rights in governance. The President elected through the Electoral College and the Senator's appointed by State governments.

Pure Democracy works best in small settings. It has also been described as two wolves and a lamb sitting down to vote what's for dinner. As we saw in the 2016 election without the Electoral College the selection of the President would be at the mercy of major population centers in States like New York and California, who would then have carte blanche over how everyone would be taxed and where the money would be spent.

I am glad the President remains a truly national officeholder, as opposed to a pawn of the majority of those who voted. Try to remember that even though Hillary got a majority of those who voted, it was still significantly less than 1/3 of all eligible voters and only a percentage point or two over Trump's tally of eligible voters.

Last edited:

I’m not. In fact, I spent 35 years professionally scratching and clawing my way through a career precisely to be more in control of my own destiny. For me, it’s autonomy or death.

Try to remember that even though Hillary got a majority of those who voted, it was still significantly less than 1/3 of all eligible voters and only a percentage point or two over Trump's tally of eligible voters.

She didn't even get a majority of votes cast, when third party votes are considered (and it's worrying that folk on both sides of the aisle so readily ignore them).

Rather than respecting those who accept repression I would rather respect the millions who have died rejecting repression. But that’s just me. Also, your vote is your voice no matter how small you think it may be. Repressive governments don’t allow you to have a voice.

I’m not. In fact, I spent 35 years professionally scratching and clawing my way through a career precisely to be more in control of my own destiny. For me, it’s autonomy or death.

I guess it's a question of how we prioritize our values. For many people what's important is food on the table, a roof over their heads, a loving family and good friends. For others, the illusion of control is even more important than life itself.

I guess it's a question of how we prioritize our values. For many people what's important is food on the table, a roof over their heads, a loving family and good friends. For others, the illusion of control is even more important than life itself.

Childhood afflictions probably determine which of those people we become

Back
Top Bottom