• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Actual Crime Stats Disproves BLM Narrative...

sjmay

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No idea what to actually title this, so feel free to suggest a change to moderators,

Here is the article.

The Real Numbers Of “Police Brutality” in America That You Need To See

Yep, law enforcement today, so completely biased...right? But are the numbers wrong that are being presented? Anyone can slant numbers one way or another, but if these numbers are not wrong, is there another way to slant that article?

If the numbers ARE wrong....then the whole article fails....correct?

No idea what to actually title this, so feel free to suggest a change to moderators,

Here is the article.

Yep, law enforcement today, so completely biased...right? But are the numbers wrong that are being presented? Anyone can slant numbers one way or another, but if these numbers are not wrong, is there another way to slant that article?

Sadly, this article fails in light of two little words: per capita.

Here is the article.

You're citing Law Enforcement Today. Nope, no chance of bias there. No siree.

You're citing Law Enforcement Today. Nope, no chance of bias there. No siree.

Already asked and answered, I literally said, completely biased right? But are the numbers wrong? If the numbers are wrong, then the whole article fails.....

And your genius idea was to go, OMG it's biased.....

Well ****ing duh........I didn't ask if it was biased, I asked if the numbers they are citing....are wrong?

At least Nate there had a better answer...

Sadly, this article fails in light of two little words: per capita.

How so? Honest answer because I'm not spending my morning brain capital...of which there is not much to go around with this morning....figuring out what you meant....

Already asked and answered, I literally said, completely biased right? But are the numbers wrong? If the numbers are wrong, then the whole article fails.....

And your genius idea was to go, OMG it's biased.....

Well ****ing duh........I didn't ask if it was biased, I asked if the numbers they are citing....are wrong?

At least Nate there had a better answer...

If your numbers are good then you can post links to those instead of ****ing law enforcement dot com.

How so? Honest answer because I'm not spending my morning brain capital...of which there is not much to go around with this morning....figuring out what you meant....

When you look at the per capita numbers, the disparity becomes blatantly obvious. That this article excluded that means either they don't understand basic statistics, or they're intentionally peddling propaganda. Can't say for sure which, but you might want to base your BLM counter on something else. Or, you know, just be for cops not using inappropriate force against anyone, for any reason, in any amount. That'd fix the problem too.

Here is the article.

Over time, I talked to about two dozen students in Madison, Wisconsin, and asked how bad that alleged police violence is in numbers. I might just as well ask my cat what the square root of 121 is.

Full of slogans, useless, mindless, ignorant morons - and that's at my most charitable.

Actually, I don't blame them. Knowing the numbers might defang the idiots.

On my last trip, I approached three cops to tell them that I am with them and warn them that this crap will never stop. They already know.

Before I said have a nice day, I asked if I can bring my AR-15 and stand right next to them. He said, "no, but I appreciate the thought".

I meant it.

When you look at the per capita numbers, the disparity becomes blatantly obvious. That this article excluded that means either they don't understand basic statistics, or they're intentionally peddling propaganda. Can't say for sure which, but you might want to base your BLM counter on something else. Or, you know, just be for cops not using inappropriate force against anyone, for any reason, in any amount. That'd fix the problem too.

Fair enough, can you post some examples of how per capita changes the numbers?

If your numbers are good then you can post links to those instead of ****ing law enforcement dot com.

They aren't my numbers, but thanks for playing one more useless post from you and you hit the trifecta

They aren't my numbers, but thanks for playing one more useless post from you and you hit the trifecta

Oh, they aren't your numbers? Gee, thanks for clearing that up.

Here is the article.

Facts are not something the left, MSM, antifa, or BLM want people to know....it does not support their false narrative.

Here is the article.

One huge problem is that for "police brutality" to result in generating a "crime statistic" they (police officers) would have to at least be charged with a crime (e.g. assault or aggrevated assault), but that is rarely the case. Far too much (alleged) "police bruatlity" never reaches the criminal "just us" system (because no criminal charge results) and is 'handled by internal investigations'.

Keep in mind that only the government can make (initiate?) a criminal charge and they (prosecutors) are extremely unlikely to do so absent extreme public pressure.

Here is the article.

Most people know this by now. The media knows this, too but they keep lying because they are monetizing riot coverage.

Here is the article.

Should have known when I saw the quotes around "police brutality".

There is a continuum involved in poor communities. Nobody likes being pulled over or stopped by police on the street. It's inconvenient, annoying, can cost a bunch of money, etc. So a certain amount of irritability should be expected by cops.

As I have aged from a long haired punk to a union member with nice things I have seen that continuum change. I can roll my eyes at a cop now and get away with it. I certainly wouldn't have with long hair and whatever my current regalia was. So I'm certain it doesn't fly for anybody else who is obviously poor and without resources. At least as a white kid it's possible that I have rich parent and I'm rebelling.

I saw how well this worked as a criminal, when I pit expensive college stickers on my Lancia. Cops assumed it was expensive, and I was at a UC school. So they greater me differently than they did when I was a pedestrian or in some hoopty.

And I didn't notice how many of those 26k complaints resulted in any satisfaction for those who filed them. It very rarely does, if you can get the complaint form in the first place without getting hassled like you did something wrong yourself.

Cops lie. I have seen it. I have seen them go door to door in the Latino neighborhood where they brutalized a female friend of mine. A rookie dislocated her shoulder pulling her arm up her back and when she flailed around as a result she hit two cops with her skates. (New skater, skating in the street, which was how it started.) They told everybodon the street who could have seen it that if they knew what was good for them they would keep their mouths shut. Then proceeded to testify in court that she karate kicked them in the face. In roller skates. She could barely skate. Two felonies for the rest of her life. For assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer.

I know anecdotes are worth very little here. But this kind of thing is ubiquitous. And too many poor families have experienced it first hand.

These are the elements in question. The things that need to be addressed in police culture. Your narrative is just that: a narrative. A story concocted to give the impression it's author wants people to have.

One huge problem is that for "police brutality" to result in generating a "crime statistic" they (police officers) would have to at least be charged with a crime (e.g. assault or aggrevated assault), but that is rarely the case. Far too much (alleged) "police bruatlity" never reaches the criminal "just us" system (because no criminal charge results) and is 'handled by internal investigations'.

Keep in mind that only the government can make (initiate?) a criminal charge and they (prosecutors) are extremely unlikely to do so absent extreme public pressure.

Good point, I wonder if changing the system were warnings/writeups etc must be reported as well, how that would change those numbers?

Should have known when I saw the quotes around "police brutality".

There is a continuum involved in poor communities. Nobody likes being pulled over or stopped by police on the street. It's inconvenient, annoying, can cost a bunch of money, etc. So a certain amount of irritability should be expected by cops.

As I have aged from a long haired punk to a union member with nice things I have seen that continuum change. I can roll my eyes at a cop now and get away with it. I certainly wouldn't have with long hair and whatever my current regalia was. So I'm certain it doesn't fly for anybody else who is obviously poor and without resources. At least as a white kid it's possible that I have rich parent and I'm rebelling.

I saw how well this worked as a criminal, when I pit expensive college stickers on my Lancia. Cops assumed it was expensive, and I was at a UC school. So they greater me differently than they did when I was a pedestrian or in some hoopty.

And I didn't notice how many of those 26k complaints resulted in any satisfaction for those who filed them. It very rarely does, if you can get the complaint form in the first place without getting hassled like you did something wrong yourself.

Cops lie. I have seen it. I have seen them go door to door in the Latino neighborhood where they brutalized a female friend of mine. A rookie dislocated her shoulder pulling her arm up her back and when she flailed around as a result she hit two cops with her skates. (New skater, skating in the street, which was how it started.) They told everybodon the street who could have seen it that if they knew what was good for them they would keep their mouths shut. Then proceeded to testify in court that she karate kicked them in the face. In roller skates. She could barely skate. Two felonies for the rest of her life. For assault with a deadly weapon on a police officer.

I know anecdotes are worth very little here. But this kind of thing is ubiquitous. And too many poor families have experienced it first hand.

These are the elements in question. The things that need to be addressed in police culture. Your narrative is just that: a narrative. A story concocted to give the impression it's author wants people to have.

No offense, but isn't that exactly what your story is, a narrative to give the impression that you want them to have?

I mean no one is arguing there aren't stupid cops and aren't bad cops out there......I think the argument is, that it is not as prevalent as the media wants people to believe?

Fair enough, can you post some examples of how per capita changes the numbers?

I dropped these earlier today in another conversation, it's a start, hopefully it would lead you to do your own research.

I was talking about BLM.

As for the quantifiable grievance, I'll leave these for your review...though, to be honest, I didn't spend a whole bunch of time looking, because there were so many options, and, frankly, that there is a problem isn't really all that controversial for most folks. But, some numbers, since you asked.

Risk of being killed by police use of force in the United States by age, race–ethnicity, and sex | PNAS

Deaths Due to Use of Lethal Force by Law Enforcement

What the data say about police brutality and racial bias — and which reforms might work

I dropped these earlier today in another conversation, it's a start, hopefully it would lead you to do your own research.

Looked through them...the first one is promising, will look into that later on as work/brain power allows, the last one was....meh....

If you can't see how per capita matters in these stats, then you probably should not be trying to argue they mean something.

If you can't see how per capita matters in these stats, then you probably should not be trying to argue they mean something.

Perfect, k, show me how it changes the numbers....Ol Nate posted some links that I skimmed through will go through them later...how about you?

Looked through them...the first one is promising, will look into that later on as work/brain power allows, the last one was....meh....

Yeah...they were ordered by what I thought of them as sources....hehe... Would be happy to chat further when you've had a chance to go through them.

A little off topic, but recommended...you should Google sensory tunneling. This doesn't speak the racial element of this issue, but rather to the "they should have complied" aspect that we see so often. I'd be happy if the racial element were removed completely from the discussion, and this was just about cops doing their job correctly...but given the disparities, we also must consider that side of it, when driving to a real solution.

Perfect, k, show me how it changes the numbers....Ol Nate posted some links that I skimmed through will go through them later...how about you?

It changes the percentages of people in each group. You can't say group A has 100 people in it and 5 were killed so they were affected more than group B with 15 people and 3 of them getting killed.

Yeah...they were ordered by what I thought of them as sources....hehe... Would be happy to chat further when you've had a chance to go through them.

A little off topic, but recommended...you should Google sensory tunneling. This doesn't speak the racial element of this issue, but rather to the "they should have complied" aspect that we see so often. I'd be happy if the racial element were removed completely from the discussion, and this was just about cops doing their job correctly...but given the disparities, we also must consider that side of it, when driving to a real solution.

Will do it, but offhand, to me it's just 100% common sense to comply, given what you know at the time, you KNOW that if you resist, SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN. That's 100%, you know that outcome. If you comply, even if you 100% disagree, there's more of a chance of coming through unscathed, and then fighting it in the courts etc, than if you resist, so why would you resist at all?

It changes the percentages of people in each group. You can't say group A has 100 people in it and 5 were killed so they were affected more than group B with 15 people and 3 of them getting killed.

Agreed, but doesn't that go both ways in the numbers they are saying? Taking your numbers, and being real rough with math etc, if group A is white people, and group B is black people both encounters with the police right say, equal to the population representation......what does it say that the per capita is higher for black interaction with police than white? Wouldn't you assume that if the interaction itself, no outcome, but JUST the encounters....are higher percentage, then the outcomes themselves would also be higher?

Back
Top Bottom