• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets

trfjr

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
A coalition of leading gay and straight activists are calling for Capital One to part ways with spokesman Alec Baldwin following his homophobic Twitter rant directed at a reporter.

“We urge all Americans to ask themselves, ‘What’s in your wallet?’ We hope they will reject Alec Baldwin’s homophobia by cutting up those Capital One cards in their wallets,” Jimmy LaSalvia, gay conservative strategist and GOProud co-founder, told Breitbart.com.

Baldwin’s controversial tweets read, “[I’d] put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much,” and “I’m gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I’m gonna f**k you…up.”

Some have pointed out that while Baldwin’s homophobic slurs were similar to TV chef Paula Deen’s racial slurs (she admitted to using the N-word 30 years ago), the fallout is not. The 66-year-old chef was dropped by all of her major business partners, including Target, Walmart, the Food Network and Sears, while so far Baldwin seems to be getting off scot free.

“Companies know the media won't beat them up for keeping Baldwin on board, despite his violent threat and homophobic comments,” explained Dan Gainor, vice president of business and culture at Media Research Center. “Why? Because he's liberal and the same rules don't apply.”

Read more: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets | Fox News

so tell me liberals how is it that Paula Deen has her career decimated for something she said 30 years ago, but Baldwin gets a pass for saying something much worse. he just didn't use a homophobic slur he threatened violence against the gay reporter that is a hate crime at least it would be if a conservative did so. the hypocrisy never seams to end with the left

Last edited:
Read more: Activists call for Capital One to drop Alec Baldwin over homophobic tweets | Fox News

so tell me liberals how is it that Paula Deen has her career decimated for something she said 30 years ago, but Baldwin gets a pass for saying something much worse. he just didn't use a homophobic slur he threatened violence against the gay reporter that is a hate crime at least it would be if a conservative did so. the hypocrisy never seams to end with the left

It's easy, Baldwin is a cash cow and whatever he's in will make someone a lot of money. Paula Deen isn't. She was already on her way to being cancelled as it was.

It's all about money. The quicker you realize that and get off your "We're so persecuted" thing, you'll notice that things make sense.

wait wait wait. How exactly is this Alec Baldwin "getting a pass"?

It's easy, Baldwin is a cash cow and whatever he's in will make someone a lot of money. Paula Deen isn't. She was already on her way to being cancelled as it was.

It's all about money. The quicker you realize that and get off your "We're so persecuted" thing, you'll notice that things make sense.
Paula Deen probably made more money last year then did Baldwin. her cook books sold in the millions she had contracts with atleast a half a dozen companies. what does Baldwin have Capitol 1 commercials

You didn't really think it through at all. People that protest for gay causes are almost certainly liberal. So these liberals are protesting that he should be fired by capital one. How are liberals giving him a free pass if they're protesting that he get fired?

Paula Deen probably made more money last year then did Baldwin. her cook books sold in the millions she had contracts with atleast a half a dozen companies. what does Baldwin have Capitol 1 commercials

30 Rock, which netted him hundreds of thousands of dollars per episode.

wait wait wait. How exactly is this Alec Baldwin "getting a pass"?

did you see the mafia chastise him like they did Deen? is Capitol 1 dropping Baldwin? did GLAD stand up and make a statement condemning Baldwin?
Did the left demand a boycott like the did Rush?

did you see the mafia chastise him like they did Deen? is Capitol 1 dropping Baldwin? did GLAD stand up and make a statement condemning Baldwin?
Did the left demand a boycott like the did Rush?

Oh, so you're saying Capital One is run by liberals? Because you're not mad at the liberal protestors asking him to be fired, you're mad at the 'liberal' bank owners who won't fire him?

You didn't really think it through at all. People that protest for gay causes are almost certainly liberal. So these liberals are protesting that he should be fired by capital one. How are liberals giving him a free pass if they're protesting that he get fired?
the ones calling for Capitol 1 to drop Baldwin are conservative gay activist

if you would have read the article you would have learned that. yes there are gay conservatives just like there are black conservatives i know you don't think they exist

the ones calling for Capitol 1 to drop Baldwin are conservative gay activist

if you would have read the article you would have learned that. yes there are gay conservatives just like there are black conservatives i know you don't think they exist

Bahahahahahahahahaha.. :lamo A gay conservative activist!!! Gays.... that support a party whose platform very clearly discriminates against them. That'd be like a black member of the KKK.

Oh you, this had nothing to do with liberals at all, did it?

Oh, so you're saying Capital One is run by liberals? Because you're not mad at the liberal protestors asking him to be fired, you're mad at the 'liberal' bank owners who won't fire him?

liberals don't pay the price that conservatives do the media doesn't hold them accountable like they will a conservative

Bahahahahahahahahaha.. :lamo A gay conservative activist!!! Gays.... that support a party whose platform very clearly discriminates against them. That'd be like a black member of the KKK.

Oh you, this had nothing to do with liberals at all, did it?

some people are not ignorant sheep they are not one issue voters

Jimmy LaSalvia, gay conservative strategist and GOProud co-founder

I guess all you've actually shown is that conservatives will only support gay equality when they can **** with a known vocal liberal.

you do realize their are different types of conservatives you have fiscal conservatives, you have constitutional conservatives, and you have social conservatives

you do realize their are different types of conservatives you have fiscal conservatives, you have constitutional conservatives, and you have social conservatives

Well, whatever they decide to call themselves, being part of the GOP and being pro-gay rights is a completely incompatible position.

Well, whatever they decide to call themselves, being part of the GOP and being pro-gay rights is a completely incompatible position.

the communist party votes democrat does that then make democrats communist?

guess that goes for black conservatives and all other minorities, huh genius? Uncle Tom's better get back in line?

the communist party votes democrat does that then make democrats communist?

The official GOP platform discriminates against gays. That's the GOP's official policy.

guess that goes for black conservatives and all other minorities, huh genius? Uncle Tom's better get back in line?

No, you can't find anything racist against blacks in the current GOP 2012 official party platform, you can however find discriminatory material in there against gays, genius.

I don't care for anyone getting fired over comments that they make/have made that have no bearing on how they do their job. Paula Deen shouldn't have been fired for what she has said in the past, and Alec Baldwin shouldn't be fired because he made "homophobic tweets" (which I honestly think was him just being mad at someone and he shouldn't be condemned for the "homophobia" as much as for just being a frackin jerk). But in reality, someone else hit it, it is really just business. There are many more people that are against perceived racism than there are those against perceived homophobia.

Paula Deen wanted black people to pretend to be slaves for a wedding party. She's also accused accused of creating a seriously hostile environment for black employees. Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, she didn't just say the n-word one time in 80s. As a result, I wouldn't call what Baldwin did "worse."

That said, I do find that the reaction to Baldwin to be lacking. He says a lot of awful things, but a lot of liberals give him a pass for it when they wouldn't give other people a pass.

I don't care for anyone getting fired over comments that they make/have made that have no bearing on how they do their job. Paula Deen shouldn't have been fired for what she has said in the past
Well, in all fairness, Paula Deen also apparently said in ~2007 that she wanted to have a "Civil War era" party where black people would pretend to be slaves. She's also accused of creating a hostile environment for black workers by doing things like having them use separate bathrooms.

I don't care for anyone getting fired over comments that they make/have made that have no bearing on how they do their job. Paula Deen shouldn't have been fired for what she has said in the past, and Alec Baldwin shouldn't be fired because he made "homophobic tweets" (which I honestly think was him just being mad at someone and he shouldn't be condemned for the "homophobia" as much as for just being a frackin jerk). But in reality, someone else hit it, it is really just business. There are many more people that are against perceived racism than there are those against perceived homophobia.

if he would have left it as just saying "Queen" i would almost agree, but he went as far as saying “[I’d] put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much,” is undeniable homophobic and a threat of violence. that is a hate crime

Well, in all fairness, Paula Deen also apparently said in ~2007 that she wanted to have a "Civil War era" party where black people would pretend to be slaves. She's also accused of creating a hostile environment for black workers by doing things like having them use separate bathrooms.

I read up on that. I agree that the pretend slaves things was out of line, but it was bad judgement not racism (would it have been better if she had put white people in black face instead as servers?). And the separate bathrooms things is something the media misrepresents. The bathrooms in question were for guests. Most if not all of the employees were black and all employees were told they had to use the employee bathrooms (from what I read). It had nothing to do with a race divide itself, but rather a divide in guests/employee status. There is one employee making these claims and she is not being supported in many of them. If more information comes out that supports her claims, okay. But many things have to be taken into consideration about these allegations, including the fact that the employee making them asked for hush money. It sounds like she basically took some instances and circumstances and turned them into more than they were in order to make her suit.

Paula Deen Gets Help From African-American Friends | WebProNews

Paul Deen Accuser: This Was Never About the N-Word | WebProNews

Could I be wrong, and Deen is really a racist witch who deserves what she got? Sure. But I think a lot of people jumped the gun and just took the word of this one person without seeing if anything she claimed could be actually verified as truly what happened.

if he would have left it as just saying "Queen" i would almost agree, but he went as far as saying “[I’d] put my foot up your f**king ass, George Stark, but I’m sure you’d dig it too much,” is undeniable homophobic and a threat of violence. that is a hate crime

That is not a hate crime. There is no legitimate threat of violence. It has to be something that actually reasonably can be considered to be a true threat, not just a statement made in anger.

It is still wrong, but it in itself, does not prove homophobia. It requires more than just angry words about one specific person to prove hate of the whole group that person belongs to.

liberals don't pay the price that conservatives do the media doesn't hold them accountable like they will a conservative

So you're actually more interested in being a victim. Ratings were down, and so they cancelled her show. It ain't rocket science.

Paula Deen's show ratings down before Food Network dismissal | Fox News

“Paula Deen is still popular but she is not popular in the way she used to be,” Ileane Rudolph, senior writer at TV Guide Magazine, told FOX411. “She still has a following, but it’s just not what it used to be.”

Recently, Rudolph explained, food fans have been more inclined to tune in for the network’s prime time shows like “Chopped,” “Food Network Star” and “Restaurant Stakeout,” showing a shift in viewer interest from instructional cooking series to competition or reality TV-based shows.

It's really pretty basic. But I guess those reasons won't let you play the victim.

I read up on that. I agree that the pretend slaves things was out of line, but it was bad judgement not racism (would it have been better if she had put white people in black face instead as servers?). And the separate bathrooms things is something the media misrepresents. The bathrooms in question were for guests. Most if not all of the employees were black and all employees were told they had to use the employee bathrooms (from what I read). It had nothing to do with a race divide itself, but rather a divide in guests/employee status. There is one employee making these claims and she is not being supported in many of them. If more information comes out that supports her claims, okay. But many things have to be taken into consideration about these allegations, including the fact that the employee making them asked for hush money. It sounds like she basically took some instances and circumstances and turned them into more than they were in order to make her suit.

Paula Deen Gets Help From African-American Friends | WebProNews

Paul Deen Accuser: This Was Never About the N-Word | WebProNews

Could I be wrong, and Deen is really a racist witch who deserves what she got? Sure. But I think a lot of people jumped the gun and just took the word of this one person without seeing if anything she claimed could be actually verified as truly what happened.
I can't consider wanting black people to play slaves as they serve you to simply be "bad judgment." While I can't say for certain that she is a racist, I certainly believe that such behavior could be an indicator of racism. A woman her age from the South is certainly aware of what slavery was and all the implications around it. Therefore, this is not just a case of "bad judgment." That explanation might suffice for a child, but Paula Deen is an adult. I mean, would you consider it "bad judgment" if a German adult wanted to reenact the Holocaust or if a white person wanted to reenact the Trail of Tears? Probably not. Slavery is no different.

As far as people just taking the word of the woman, I don't think that's the case. Most people seem to be going by the transcripts that have Paula Deen's own words on them.

Back
Top Bottom