• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Activist group challenges Colorado mineral rights law

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ges-colorado-mineral-rights-law-idUSKCN1PH2WC

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Colorado activist group this week filed a lawsuit challenging a state law that allows oil and gas companies to drill a property owner’s minerals without consent of the owner.

The move is the latest effort by environmental activists to tighten drilling regulations in the fifth largest oil producing state in the United States.
================================================================================
In states where I've owned homes, the usual verbiage on the deed states that the mineral rights are not included with the property. I haven't looked at the law on this in my state or other states where this has become an issue, such as CO.

Minerals would include oil & natural gas.

In my state (PA) the big prize is the Marcellus Shale, which is a rich source of natural gas via hydraulic fracturing. Luckily, the map showing the extent of this shale deposit doesn't come anywhere near my location.

From the Internet:

Unless you also own the minerals under your land, that someone might have every right to start drilling. In the United States, mineral rights can be sold or conveyed separately from property rights. As a result, owning a piece of land does not necessarily mean you also own the rights to the minerals beneath it.

Marcellus shale.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully those activists win. I am no environmentalist but I believe that no one should drill on or under another person's property without that property owner's consent. Being a land owner means you should own everything on and under it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ges-colorado-mineral-rights-law-idUSKCN1PH2WC

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Colorado activist group this week filed a lawsuit challenging a state law that allows oil and gas companies to drill a property owner’s minerals without consent of the owner.

The move is the latest effort by environmental activists to tighten drilling regulations in the fifth largest oil producing state in the United States.
================================================================================
In states where I've owned homes, the usual verbiage on the deed states that the mineral rights are not included with the property. I haven't looked at the law on this in my state or other states where this has become an issue, such as CO.

Minerals would include oil & natural gas.

In my state (PA) the big prize is the Marcellus Shale, which is a rich source of natural gas via hydraulic fracturing. Luckily, the map showing the extent of this shale deposit doesn't come anywhere near my location.

From the Internet:

Unless you also own the minerals under your land, that someone might have every right to start drilling. In the United States, mineral rights can be sold or conveyed separately from property rights. As a result, owning a piece of land does not necessarily mean you also own the rights to the minerals beneath it.

I never knew this. I don't remember if I saw a did before the purchase was complete. I'll have to dig it out and look.

Hopefully those activists win. I am no environmentalist but I believe that no one should drill on or under another person's property without that property owner's consent. Being a land owner means you should own everything on and under it.

Oil, gas and water migrate. If you take the 100 gallons under your land today it can be refilled by those items from someone else's land.

A more serious issue when it comes to water. One farm could pump out the water from an aquifer that serves many other farms. In other words taking water that belongs to them. Or in the case of a river or creek one person could dam it up stopping the water flow to others downstream. Blanket statements like what is on your land is yours can be very dangerous

Back
Top Bottom