• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Acting ATF Director Marvin Richardson set to be replaced

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Washington — Marvin Richardson, the acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), is being replaced, U.S. officials tell CBS News.

It's unclear when the change will be announced. For now, the leading candidate to replace Richardson is a U.S. attorney, the officials said.

Richardson was appointed deputy director of the agency in June 2021, and could remain on as a career agent. He has been with the agency for more than 30 years, according to a biography on the ATF's website.

—————

I read at another source that Richardson was seen as too friendly with the firearms industry “pumping the brakes” on the administration’s gun control initiative.

Washington — Marvin Richardson, the acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), is being replaced, U.S. officials tell CBS News.

It's unclear when the change will be announced. For now, the leading candidate to replace Richardson is a U.S. attorney, the officials said.

Richardson was appointed deputy director of the agency in June 2021, and could remain on as a career agent. He has been with the agency for more than 30 years, according to a biography on the ATF's website.

—————

I read at another source that Richardson was seen as too friendly with the firearms industry “pumping the brakes” on the administration’s gun control initiative.
THere is also the issue that there is a time limit on how long someone can be 'acting' before senate approval.

THere is also the issue that there is a time limit on how long someone can be 'acting' before senate approval.
He’s only been in the job since last June, so I don’t think the time limit has been reached. If it had, I think the administration would have announced it.

He’s only been in the job since last June, so I don’t think the time limit has been reached. If it had, I think the administration would have announced it.
According to law, someone can be in an 'acting' position 210 days.

If the administration was happy with him one would figure his name would be in the short list as permanent but it seems they are pushing him aside for someone with a new approach

If the administration was happy with him one would figure his name would be in the short list as permanent but it seems they are pushing him aside for someone with a new approach
That is true. However, the time for him to be acting is up, and the admin wants someone else.

Why, that's speculation

That is true. However, the time for him to be acting is up, and the admin wants someone else.

Why, that's speculation
The why is what makes sites like this entertaining

According to law, someone can be in an 'acting' position 210 days.
Which would have expired in about January. None of the sources I’ve seen have cited the time limit as a reason, just shock and surprise that he’d been removed. Do you have any sources that state the 210 day time limit was the reason he was demoted?

Which would have expired in about January. None of the sources I’ve seen have cited the time limit as a reason, just shock and surprise that he’d been removed. Do you have any sources that state the 210 day time limit was the reason he was demoted?

I believe that the US attorney for Arizona will be nominated for the director of ATF.
Bidens first nominee crashed and burned!

Back
Top Bottom