• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Across Nation, Mosque Projects Meet Opposition

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
While a high-profile battle rages over a mosque near ground zero in Manhattan, heated confrontations have also broken out in communities across the country where mosques are proposed for far less hallowed locations.

In Murfreesboro, Tenn., Republican candidates have denounced plans for a large Muslim center proposed near a subdivision, and hundreds of protesters have turned out for a march and a county meeting.

In late June, in Temecula, Calif., members of a local Tea Party group took dogs and picket signs to Friday prayers at a mosque that is seeking to build a new worship center on a vacant lot nearby.

In Sheboygan, Wis., a few Christian ministers led a noisy fight against a Muslim group that sought permission to open a mosque in a former health food store bought by a Muslim doctor.

At one time, neighbors who did not want mosques in their backyards said their concerns were over traffic, parking and noise — the same reasons they might object to a church or a synagogue. But now the gloves are off.

In all of the recent conflicts, opponents have said their problem is Islam itself. They quote passages from the Koran and argue that even the most Americanized Muslim secretly wants to replace the Constitution with Islamic Shariah law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/us/08mosque.html?_r=1

Yep, JUST NOT AT GROUND ZERO! From Sea to Shining Sea...

Or anywhere else!

Or There!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7488854

STATEN ISLAND (WABC) -- A plan to turn a former convent into a mosque and community center on Staten Island has outraged thousands of residents.

Both opponents and supporters got together to voice their opinion Wednesday night.

It was supposed to be a meeting of the Muslim American Society about the mosque and whether it would be a good fit for the community, but the meeting quickly degenerated into outbursts of anger and hostility.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/27/ron-ramsey-tenn-lt-gov-is_n_659725.html

At a campaign event in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Lieutenant Governor and gubernatorial candidate Ron Ramsey (R) said that freedom of speech, guaranteed by the First Amendment, may not apply to Islam because it could be considered "a cult."

During a question and answer session, an attendee said that he was concerned with an "invasion" from "the Muslims." Ramsey responded that the uproar over a "mosque" (in reality, the expansion of an existing Islamic community center) is justified because Sharia law is "scary":

... I've been trying to learn about Sharia law. I've been trying to learn what it is: not good, if that's what's going on. You can even argue whether being a Muslim is actually a religion, or is it a nationality, a way of life, or a cult -- whatever you want to call it -- and we do protect our religions. But at the same time, this is something that we are going to have to face.

NO My neighbourhood is HALLOWED GROUND TOO!

Last edited:
That's just wrong.

What I said is wrong? Or whats going on is wrong?

Cause I hope you realise its a parody.

What I am attempting to say is this.

If you say not here! you can also say, NOT THERE! OR THERE! or THERE.... You get the picture.

The worrying thing is if politicians begin running on a platform of anti muslim sentiments.

Btw the sea to shining sea joke I did kinda steal from Colbert :)

Last edited:
"Here's three situations across the country where small groups of people have opposed mosques for dumb reasons. Thus, it means that people who oppose mosques anywhere are all racists."

Gotta love the NYT.

"Here's three situations across the country where small groups of people have opposed mosques for dumb reasons. Thus, it means that people who oppose mosques anywhere are all racists."

Gotta love the NYT.

While I agree with your basic premise, it is kind of dishearting to see people not want mosques in their town. I mean the NYC case I get, but all these other ones have me confused.

Gotta love the NYT.

Its a trend. A trend that could catch on. That's what I'm worried about.

What I said is wrong? Or whats going on is wrong?

Cause I hope you realise its a parody.

What I am attempting to say is this.

If you say not here! you can also say, NOT THERE! OR THERE! or THERE.... You get the picture.

The worrying thing is if politicians begin running on a platform of anti muslim sentiments.

Btw the sea to shining sea joke I did kinda steal from Colbert :)

Sorry, Jet. I meant the discrimination is wrong. Thanks for the post. Kinda' makes me think...scarey.

It's a concern. It is certainly wrong.

Its a trend. A trend that could catch on. That's what I'm worried about.

Actually, you seem rather focused on "proving" there's rampant Islamophobia throughout the United States. Can't say as I get quite why.

Actually, you seem rather focused on "proving" there's rampant Islamophobia throughout the United States. Can't say as I get quite why.

and the rejection of a politio-religious ideology that stands in start opposition to the values one holds shouldn't be considered an "Ism" in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom