• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ACLU and activists say North Carolina anti-riot, looting bill is 'racist' and 'anti-BLM'

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The ACLU and activists are slamming a North Carolina anti-rioting bill that would increase penalties for rioting or looting as "racist" and "anti-Black Lives Matter" "This bill HB805 is racist. It’s an anti-Black Lives Matter bill," attorney Dawn Blagrove of the activist group Emancipate NC told WNCN. House Bill 805 was sponsored by Republican North Carolina Speaker of the House Tim Moore after Raleigh saw riots last summer as protests and riots swept the country following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

No.....just, no.
Critical thinking and common sense has completely vanished when a law aimed at rioting and looting is deemed "racist" or "anti BLM"......no one who has even a casual relationship with reality would make or defend that statement

Critical thinking and common sense has completely vanished when a law aimed at rioting and looting is deemed "racist" or "anti BLM"......no one who has even a casual relationship with reality would make or defend that statement
Well, common sense vanished last year when all those BLM marches (and during a pandemic at that!) caused thugs to join in with looting and arson.

In fact, some people probably actually believe that looting is reparations.

And we know that common sense vanished in November, 2020, when 80,000,000 Americans (reputedly) ratified all the violence in 2020, with the Speaker of the House even kneeling in the Capitol to grovel at the feet of an unworthy bunch of troublemakers.

The ACLU and activists are slamming a North Carolina anti-rioting bill that would increase penalties for rioting or looting as "racist" and "anti-Black Lives Matter" "This bill HB805 is racist. It’s an anti-Black Lives Matter bill," attorney Dawn Blagrove of the activist group Emancipate NC told WNCN. House Bill 805 was sponsored by Republican North Carolina Speaker of the House Tim Moore after Raleigh saw riots last summer as protests and riots swept the country following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

No.....just, no.
They can't even prove it's racist or anti-BLM. They're just flapping their gums per reflex action. Automatically associating "anti-riot bill" to "RACISM!!!" without a shred of proof.

Does it mention Black people specifically?
Does it mention BLM specifically?
Does it mention any BIPOC specifically?

If you, the ACLU and other "activists", answered "No", then you just proved your own damn foolishness. Now shut your race-baiting pieholes!

No.....just, no.

Ill have to read the bill and see what it says but if the verbiage here is accurate I see nothing racist about it
"increase penalties for rioting or looting" . . .seems just fine to me

BUT how loosely are those defined . . . thats the question

also since ive been to multiple BLM rallies now and 2 were mostly white people and one was about 60 or 70/30 . . black/white again it would be hard to say racists against BLM a movement supported by the majority of america. lol

Ill have to read the bill later when i can and recomment.

Ill have to read the bill and see what it says but if the verbiage here is accurate I see nothing racist about it

Responding to the bolded: Good question. I can't find the official text of the bill, so it's impossible to say how broad they are willing to define "rioting".

Nothing in the text of the bill mentions race, skin color, or BLM; what it does do apparently , is make rioting, looting, etc, a more severe felony with harsher punishment......no idea how that is racist.

No.....just, no.
What makes it racist? Nothing. This is the left crying because they recognize that BLM and other rioters often tend to be black. So it's not about fairness it's more about affirmative action, lowering the standards for black equality. How about we adhere to strong standards and expect everyone to meet them.

Well, that's stupid

<> This is the left crying <>

It must be really easy to own the libtards when your lordship can make all of them responsible for the acts of any individuals you say are on the left. But watch this, I can totally own the right. This is the right showing conservative pride:

Charlottesville_%27Unite_the_Right%27_Rally_%2835780274914%29_crop.jpg

Get it?

Bet you don't, Mr. "Integrityrespec".

It must be really easy to own the libtards when your lordship can make all of them responsible for the acts of any individuals you say are on the left. But watch this, I can totally own the right. This is the right showing conservative pride:

Charlottesville_%27Unite_the_Right%27_Rally_%2835780274914%29_crop.jpg

Get it?

Bet you don't, Mr. "Integrityrespec".
Why are you trying to derail this thread with irrelevant pictures?

Whenever ACLU makes a claim about civil rights, I pay extra attention because they have a record of fighting legislation by both republicans and democrats. People should recall that when Obama was pushing "red flag" gun restrictions, the ACLU opposed the bill as being too broad and believed that would harm the 2ns amendment righits of people stiggmatized with some mental problem. So, anybody who claims that the ACLU has a pro-black or proggessive agenda should not rush to conclusions.

Whenever ACLU makes a claim about civil rights, I pay extra attention because they have a record of fighting legislation by both republicans and democrats. People should recall that when Obama was pushing "red flag" gun restrictions, the ACLU opposed the bill as being too broad and believed that would harm the 2ns amendment righits of people stiggmatized with some mental problem. So, anybody who claims that the ACLU has a pro-black or proggessive agenda should not rush to conclusions.
The ACLU's credibility went by the boards after they called the Second Amendment "racist". All they are doing is pandering to the Cancel Cultists.

Why are you trying to derail this thread with irrelevant pictures?

It's fine with you when someone tries to smear the entire left with the actions of a few people, but you'll attempt to give me a citizen's infraction when I point out the stupid dishonesty in such a move?

Yeah ok.... :rolleyes:

The ACLU's credibility went by the boards after they called the Second Amendment "racist". All they are doing is pandering to the Cancel Cultists.

And you'll go right back to praising him the moment they champion some more conservative causes.

No.....just, no.
If the law is just aimed at penalties for rioting and looting, then it's fine. There have been issues with rioting and looting as of late. It's not aimed at any particular group. I mean, I haven't read anything on the law, so it's under the assumption that it's just aimed at the penalties for rioting and looting. Now it could be that they're expanding what the definition of "riot" is that might catch up peaceful protest and perhaps there's room for argument there; again I haven't seen anything about this bill.

Well, their stance against Obama's gun control rule harms the credibility of your claim

Gun Control Laws Should Be Fair

This month, Congress repealed a rule that would have registered thousands of Social Security recipients with mental disabilities, who have others manage their benefits, into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System to prevent them from owning firearms.

The American Civil Liberties Union does not oppose gun control laws. As an organization dedicated to defending all constitutional rights, we believe the Second Amendment allows reasonable restrictions to promote public safety.

But gun control laws, like any law, should be fair, effective and not based on prejudice or stereotype. This rule met none of those criteria.

The title of the above ACLU statement applies to riot control laws too

No.....just, no.

I thought righties (not you) were all about enforcing the laws already on the books. Is it legal to riot in North Carolina?

If the law is just aimed at penalties for rioting and looting, then it's fine. There have been issues with rioting and looting as of late. It's not aimed at any particular group. I mean, I haven't read anything on the law, so it's under the assumption that it's just aimed at the penalties for rioting and looting. Now it could be that they're expanding what the definition of "riot" is that might catch up peaceful protest and perhaps there's room for argument there; again I haven't seen anything about this bill.
Reading the text of the bill, it seems North Carolina isnt redefining rioting and looting, they are simply increasing the penalties by making it a felony.

I thought righties (not you) were all about enforcing the laws already on the books. Is it legal to riot in North Carolina?
Seems NC is making it a felony now.

No.....just, no.

Now, can you explain to me why you chose Fox (MSN just reprinted the article) to learn what the ACLU says about that bill?

Basic intellectual honesty requires that you need first to read their point of view without the usual spin and selective editingg of FOX!
So, find and post an ACLU source (here must be an ACLU NC branch) if you are really intersted in having a serious discussion.

Last edited:

also since ive been to multiple BLM rallies now and 2 were mostly white people and one was about 60 or 70/30 . . black/white again it would be hard to say racists against BLM a movement supported by the majority of america. lol

Ill have to read the bill later when i can and recomment.

So reading through the bill seems ok to me. The red parts make it fine by me.
Now im not a fan of the yellow parts simply because what the hell is "urging" in a factual LEGAL sense lol . . .seems VERY vague

im not familiar with riot law/bills maybe this is common but i certainly see nothing racist about it and most definitely nothing anti-BLM.
is there something anybody else sees that is to vague and could be turned on any or all assemblies?

May 4, 2021​

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO INCREASE THE PENALTIES FOR RIOTING OR INCITING RIOTING THAT
CAUSES DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY, OR DEATH AND
ASSAULTING EMERGENCY PERSONNEL DURING A RIOT OR STATE OF
EMERGENCY
;
TO ALLOW RECOVERY OF TREBLE DAMAGES FOR PROPERTY
DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY RIOTING OR LOOTING; AND TO
REQUIRE PRETRIAL RELEASE CONDITIONS FOR RIOTING AND LOOTING
OFFENSES TO BE DETERMINED BY A JUDGE.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 14-288.2 reads as rewritten:

"§ 14-288.2. Riot; inciting to riot; punishments.​

(a) A riot is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of three or more persons which
by disorderly and violent conduct, or the imminent threat of disorderly and violent conduct,
results in injury or damage to persons or property or creates a clear and present danger of injury

or damage to persons or property.

(e) Any person who willfully incites or urges another to engage in a riot, and such inciting
or urging is a contributing cause of a riot in which there is property damage in excess of fifteen
hundred dollars ($1,500) or serious bodily injury, shall be punished as a Class F felon.shall be

guilty of a Class E felony.
(e1) Any person who willfully incites or urges another to engage in a riot, and such inciting
or urging causes a death, shall be guilty of a Class D felony.

Reading the text of the bill, it seems North Carolina isnt redefining rioting and looting, they are simply increasing the penalties by making it a felony.

Sure. History is full of examples where clamping down on an angry population solved all the problems.

The French Revolution is a good example. Within 24 months, the nobles didn't have a care in their heads.

(a) A riot is a public disturbance involving an assemblage of three or more persons which
by disorderly and violent conduct, or the imminent threat of disorderly and violent conduct,
results in injury or damage to persons or property or creates a clear and present danger of injury

Woot. A bar brawl is now a felony.

So reading through the bill seems ok to me. The red parts make it fine by me.
Now im not a fan of the yellow parts simply because what the hell is "urging" in a factual LEGAL sense lol . . .seems VERY vague

im not familiar with riot law/bills maybe this is common but i certainly see nothing racist about it and most definitely nothing anti-BLM.
is there something anybody else sees that is to vague and could be turned on any or all assemblies?

May 4, 2021​

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO INCREASE THE PENALTIES FOR RIOTING OR INCITING RIOTING THAT
CAUSES DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, SERIOUS BODILY INJURY, OR DEATH AND
ASSAULTING EMERGENCY PERSONNEL DURING A RIOT OR STATE OF
EMERGENCY
;
TO ALLOW RECOVERY OF TREBLE DAMAGES FOR PROPERTY
DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY RIOTING OR LOOTING; AND TO
REQUIRE PRETRIAL RELEASE CONDITIONS FOR RIOTING AND LOOTING
OFFENSES TO BE DETERMINED BY A JUDGE.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 14-288.2 reads as rewritten:

(e) Any person who willfully incites or urges another to engage in a riot, and such inciting
or urging is a contributing cause of a riot in which there is property damage in excess of fifteen
hundred dollars ($1,500) or serious bodily injury, shall be punished as a Class F felon.shall be

guilty of a Class E felony.
(e1) Any person who willfully incites or urges another to engage in a riot, and such inciting
or urging causes a death, shall be guilty of a Class D felony.

The argument sounded stupid at first blush - obviously, there's nothing "racist" or wrong about punishing actual rioters for rioting - but maybe / maybe not. I imagine the angle is something like what Ikari said.

Namely, to use a law that is neutral on its face and apply it disproportionately. For example, how do the NC courts interpet "involving an assemblage of three or more persons" in (a)? What makes the assemblage one that is acting together?

The problem with last summer was criminals/looters and rioters generally using the mass crowds of overall-peaceful protesters as shields from the cops to raise havoc. I suspect the danger they're eyeing is that peaceful people will be intentionally/unfairly lumped in with any such criminals and all get charged as an assemblage of persons; the idea being that it might be an unwarranted chill on free speech. Etc.

That said, I'm far to lazy to go digging in NC appellate cases to see how the existing anti-riot laws deal with questions like that.

Woot. A bar brawl is now a felony.
it was before in some cases and jurisdictions 🤷‍♂️
i don't believe that part changed though, i "think" the changes are were the strikeouts are and the additions.

Back
Top Bottom