• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Accidental Firearm-related Fatalities Drop to All-time Low

CSA_TX

Reaction score
Found at http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?AoI=generic&PRloc=common/PR/&PR=120704.cfm

"A report from the National Safety Council shows that accidental firearm-related fatalities continue to decline and are at the lowest level in the history of record keeping. Statistics in the council’s 'Injury Facts 2004' reveal a 54 percent decrease over a 10-year period ending in 2003."

"Last year, 101,537 U.S. residents died in accidents of all types. Less than one percent, 700, involved firearms. The most common deadly accidents involved motor vehicles, falls and poisonings, claiming 72 percent of all accidental deaths." ...

The news is even better than this. Firearms ownership is up and the overall population is up, but the absolute number of firearms deaths continues to fall!

Hi, I'm new, and your post caught my attention. First off, yes, it is wonderful that firearm accidents have lowered (though I would love to hear where this information was quoted from). However it is important to consider that this could be because of more strict gun control laws, which may quickly dissintegrate in Bush's second term. Also, the greatest "accident" of all, murder by firearm, has increased in the last year. I'll get you the statistics if you want them. We still have a higher gun death rate than all European countries put together. To me, this is a more pertinent issue than an accident rate, although both are obviously tragic.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

:wcm

maud* said:
Hi, I'm new, and your post caught my attention. First off, yes, it is wonderful that firearm accidents have lowered (though I would love to hear where this information was quoted from). However it is important to consider that this could be because of more strict gun control laws, which may quickly dissintegrate in Bush's second term. Also, the greatest "accident" of all, murder by firearm, has increased in the last year. I'll get you the statistics if you want them. We still have a higher gun death rate than all European countries put together. To me, this is a more pertinent issue than an accident rate, although both are obviously tragic.
So are you saying you think gun control laws are keeping the number of accidents down? How is this if gun ownership is up? More people own more guns every year. Couldn't this be from better education and the fact that licensed gun dealers must now offer gun locks and gun safes? And murder rates may have increased but what did they do in states that allow people to protect themselves with firearms? Seems like I saw a study that showed in states where it's easier for people to carry concealed weapons the violent crime rate went down. Plus we have a higher gun death rate then Canada yet per capita they own just as many weapons- how do you explain that?

Pacridge said:
So are you saying you think gun control laws are keeping the number of accidents down? How is this if gun ownership is up? More people own more guns every year. Couldn't this be from better education and the fact that licensed gun dealers must now offer gun locks and gun safes? And murder rates may have increased but what did they do in states that allow people to protect themselves with firearms? Seems like I saw a study that showed in states where it's easier for people to carry concealed weapons the violent crime rate went down.
Well, now, it seems that the problem is solved, except for all of the illegal handguns in the hands of criminals. Any ideas on that?
Plus we have a higher gun death rate then Canada yet per capita they own just as many weapons- how do you explain that?
That's easy. The Frenchies up there are lovers. Whenever there is a dispute, they simply kiss and make up.

Guns should not be regulated.....
They are a right bestowed in the Constitution.

Besides, places that allow for concealed weapons have much lower crime rates. The only thing restricting gun use does is make it so ONLY criminals get guns. Joe Schmo isn't going to go to the black market for guns, but criminals will.

Geezus now you are looking down on French people.

That's easy. The Frenchies up there are lovers. Whenever there is a dispute, they simply kiss and make up.

Seriously, you are just a bigot hiding behind a large vocabulary.

heyjoeo said:
Geezus now you are looking down on French people.

Seriously, you are just a bigot hiding behind a large vocabulary.

Actually, I thought I was being complimentary.

However, long ago I discovered that if one is intent on finding something to complain about, nothing, absolutely nothing can deter him.

Now, let me show you the error of your ways.

Is there not a large French component in the Canadian population? Take the Province of Quebec, for example. The provincial authorities have gone so far as to make French the official language.

Are not the French noted the world over for their handsome men, beautiful women, and amorous prowess? Call a Frenchman a 'lover' and he will compliment you on your wisdom, acquity, and good taste.

Is it not the custom of the French males to greet each other with a kiss on each cheek?

And lastly, given the performance of the continental French on the field of battle throughout the twentieth century, we know that fighting is not their strong suit.

So, you see, a little more care in reading my post would have enabled you to avoid making another nasty accusation.

>Is there not a large French component in the Canadian population? Take the Province of Quebec, for example. The provincial authorities have gone so far as to make French the official language.<Fantasea

I'm not here to give you a hard time.
I'm here so that liberals can know the truth.
About 37% of Canadians have English ancestry.
About 32% of Canadians have a French ancestry.
I'd hardly call 32% a "large component in the Canadian population."
The Canadian government recognizes both English and French as official languages.
Quebec is the one province in Canada that has about 80% French ancestry, and yes, French is the official language in Quebec, but this is the exception in Canada, not the rule.
Afterall, Elizabeth the II of Great Britain is still the Queen of Canada.

Hoot said:
>
Is there not a large French component in the Canadian population? Take the Province of Quebec, for example. The provincial authorities have gone so far as to make French the official language.<Fantasea

I'm not here to give you a hard time.
I'm here so that liberals can know the truth.
About 37% of Canadians have English ancestry.
About 32% of Canadians have a French ancestry.
I'd hardly call 32% a "large component in the Canadian population."
The Canadian government recognizes both English and French as official languages.
Quebec is the one province in Canada that has about 80% French ancestry, and yes, French is the official language in Quebec, but this is the exception in Canada, not the rule.
Afterall, Elizabeth the II of Great Britain is still the Queen of Canada.

All right. Since you are not here to give me a hard time, let's all rise, sing O Canada, and go home.

Fant! Stop underhandedly bashing on groups of people and making brash generalizations! Examples:

All right. Since you are not here to give me a hard time, let's all rise, sing O Canada, and go home.

And lastly, given the performance of the continental French on the field of battle throughout the twentieth century, we know that fighting is not their strong suit.

Seriously.

Nice job there Hoot btw :p

heyjoeo said:
Fant! Stop underhandedly bashing on groups of people and making brash generalizations! Examples:

Seriously.

Nice job there Hoot btw :p

My, my. Are you getting your knickers all atwist at my suggestion that we show respect for the Canadians by singing their national anthem? That's what happens at the rink whenever they play hockey.

If you would like to explain the performance of the continental French on the field of battle throughout the twentieth century, please feel free to do so. I promise to read every word in the hope that I will learn something that I do not know.

You make an insult and then turn around and claim you were "showing respect."

What are you talking about?

heyjoeo said:
You make an insult and then turn around and claim you were "showing respect."

What are you talking about?

I just love the way you dance around a question the answer to which you are desperately trying to avoid.

Wanna give that second paragraph a shot? I've copied it for you below.

If you would like to explain the performance of the continental French on the field of battle throughout the twentieth century, please feel free to do so. I promise to read every word in the hope that I will learn something that I do not know.

Last edited:
Fantasea said:
My, my. Are you getting your knickers all atwist at my suggestion that we show respect for the Canadians by singing their national anthem? That's what happens at the rink whenever they play hockey.

No! Here's what happens at the hockey rink!

I read some sort of psychological report or study that was done recently...and it said...

Of all the spectator sports, hockey makes women more aroused!?

That question isn't WORTH answering, because its just another shot at the French. How about you go study the Napoleanic wars. Minus the Russian campaign, he could have ruled all of Europe.

I don't know what all this crap is about Canada, hockey, French military prowess or whatever.... Isn't this thread about firearms and stupid people not shooting themselves in the foot?? Where have you all gone??

BAck to the topic....Having a firearm is guaranteed under the Constitution. Not disputed. Gun related accidents are down, hopefully because these owners are spending more time getting training and less time getting drunk. But as was mentioned, death by firearms as a whole is escalating. I guess they learned to aim better.

Let's allow logic to enter this arguement; we register our cars, get licenses to drive them. We get licenses to marry. We register our children at birth. We get licensed to ply our trades (doctors, lawyers, plumbers, electricians etc). We register our businesses. We require those business owners to register with the individual Secretaries of State. So why is it such a damn problem to register all guns and their owners? Sure you can have your gun, but for the sake of public safety (... MY life, liberty and pursuit of happiness), they should be registered. What am I missing here? Where are the rights of the gun owner infringed by licensing and registration of guns?

Nope. They aren't. (And its not my fault Fant hates French people).

I'm getting a gun when I turn 18. Why not?

Because you could end up hurting yourself or someone else. There is no reason for civilized people to carry guns. We now have supermarkets so we don't need to hunt for food... We have police and military to protect us...

and it's just plain stupid

Besides... the more guns one has, and the bigger they are... the smaller the penis (and brain).. just ask Fant... he'll come up with some crazy research data!! LOL

Let's allow logic to enter this arguement; we register our cars, get licenses to drive them. We get licenses to marry. We register our children at birth. We get licensed to ply our trades (doctors, lawyers, plumbers, electricians etc). We register our businesses. We require those business owners to register with the individual Secretaries of State. So why is it such a damn problem to register all guns and their owners? Sure you can have your gun, but for the sake of public safety (... MY life, liberty and pursuit of happiness), they should be registered. What am I missing here? W
here are the rights of the gun owner infringed by licensing and registration of guns?
Due you need to registar your freedom of speech?None 0f these are rights guerenteed by the constitution and the right to bear arms is. End of discussion. Quick question How does my owning a firearm infringe on your (... MY life, liberty and pursuit of happiness)?

Hoot said:
No! Here's what happens at the hockey rink!

I read some sort of psychological report or study that was done recently...and it said...

Of all the spectator sports, hockey makes women more aroused!?
Perhaps that's why the fans rise and sing the national anthem with such gusto.

Contrarian said:
just ask Fant... he'll come up with some crazy research data!! LOL
I'm still waiting for someone to refute any of my 'crazy research data'.

heyjoeo said:
That question isn't WORTH answering, because its just another shot at the French. How about you go study the Napoleanic wars. Minus the Russian campaign, he could have ruled all of Europe.
That's true. Except for the fact that he lost, Napoleon would have won. One rarely sees such an extraordinary example of logic.

I guess I could have included nineteenth century continental French battlefield accomplishments along with those of the twentieth century.

heyjoeo said:
Nope. They aren't. (And its not my fault Fant hates French people).

I learned in my youth that the vast majority of people have absolutely no idea of the meaning and correct usage of the word 'hate'.

Most of them use the word in a childish way.

heyjoeo said:
Good for you! :)

I will too.

I don't want any criminals violating my rights either! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom