• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Accentuate the What?

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
[Quoting myself from another source:]

"I make it a point to check all manner of sources for news and commentary. It's part of how I try to go about becoming a 'well informed citizen', those who, some aver, are essential to a functioning, healthy democracy.

"A part of my reading and listening includes the 'conservative' AM radio programs. I find them valuable for a number of reasons. Among them, I use the political palaver to exercise my ability to recognize slant, falsehood, conspiratorial insinuations and logical errors.

"But there's another thing you might find of interest. The comments made on the AM radio conservative shows, either by the host or by the call-in enablers, can be classified as positive, neutral or negative. You might try listening for a while and see if you can determine whether, as the old song would have it, the positive is accented and the negative is eliminated . . . or not."

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.

[Quoting myself from another source:]

"I make it a point to check all manner of sources for news and commentary. It's part of how I try to go about becoming a 'well informed citizen', those who, some aver, are essential to a functioning, healthy democracy.

"A part of my reading and listening includes the 'conservative' AM radio programs. I find them valuable for a number of reasons. Among them, I use the political palaver to exercise my ability to recognize slant, falsehood, conspiratorial insinuations and logical errors.

"But there's another thing you might find of interest. The comments made on the AM radio conservative shows, either by the host or by the call-in enablers, can be classified as positive, neutral or negative. You might try listening for a while and see if you can determine whether, as the old song would have it, the positive is accented and the negative is eliminated . . . or not."

You can just call it H8 Radio and save some time. :)

I tried listening to right-wing sources. I soon realized it wasn't mentally healthy. True, there's some things that can be open for interpretation, when having
a conversation. When I hear most of right-wing thoughts, it's like arguing the speed of light or where does the sun go at night?

I tried listening to right-wing sources. I soon realized it wasn't mentally healthy. True, there's some things that can be open for interpretation, when having
a conversation. When I hear most of right-wing thoughts, it's like arguing the speed of light or where does the sun go at night?
Knowing what your country’s home grown enemies are thinking/talking about is worthwhile, but giving them anymore time than necessary to understand their motives/pov is wasted time.

Anyone not listening to at least two sides of an argument is going to have an extremely biased viewpoint. I realize that it is psychologically hard to listen to differing points of view but nothing good comes easy.

Sorry, but I think that's a bad idea, once you realize there is basically only propaganda from right-wing sources. I don't see benefit. I can see a little benefit to someone developing the abilities you mention like recognizing the propaganda, but only for a little bit.

Anyone not listening to at least two sides of an argument is going to have an extremely biased viewpoint. I realize that it is psychologically hard to listen to differing points of view but nothing good comes easy.
Actually, that is so wrong. It makes sense with two *legitimate* arguments, but it is false when one side is propaganda, shamelessly lying. You don't get anything from hearing that, and you're not biased if you don't.

It's a tiny bit like saying, if you don't throw your dirty dishes with your clean ones, you can't have clean dishes.

I mean, "Hillary Clinton runs a child sex ring, sells cocaine, and is an agent of China trying to sell them all our military secrets." "That's false." Boy, be glad you heard both sides of that argument, or you'd be biased.

It's hard enough for people to learn about issues listening to legitimate arguments, without adding a bunch of lies to wade through that add nothing.

You can just call it H8 Radio and save some time. :)

Hi, Loulit01.

Thank you for taking time to post a response.

A problem, though. I don't know the meaning of H8.

Actually, that is so wrong. It makes sense with two *legitimate* arguments, but it is false when one side is propaganda, shamelessly lying. You don't get anything from hearing that, and you're not biased if you don't.

It's a tiny bit like saying, if you don't throw your dirty dishes with your clean ones, you can't have clean dishes.

I mean, "Hillary Clinton runs a child sex ring, sells cocaine, and is an agent of China trying to sell them all our military secrets." "That's false." Boy, be glad you heard both sides of that argument, or you'd be biased.

It's hard enough for people to learn about issues listening to legitimate arguments, without adding a bunch of lies to wade through that add nothing.
I hear you. I was quite sure the OP was talking about how to determine what statements being made by the GOP vs. the democrats are legitimate. My point being a person who tries to have an open mind and does listen to at least two sides of an argument is in a better position to make an informed decision.Thus my answer.

Thus your example of HC and sex ring would appear to be false from the onset, probably to both of us, but as we know now it was believed and probably by more than one person;

I think we can agree that each individual decides for themselves whether something said or written is true, regardless of the facts of the situation. We are wired that way;

"Misinformation is especially likely to stick when it conforms to our pre-existing political, religious, or social point of view, according to the researchers. Because of this, ideology and personal worldviews can be especially difficult obstacles to overcome. This means that if you believe something for political or religious reasons, it’s far harder to change a person’s mind and have them understand a fact that differs from that person’s opinion."

I acknowledge I am biased from the start of my introspection on any subject, as is everyone else. But I enjoy hearing opposing views. No matter how crazy they are. ;)

Hi, Loulit01.

Thank you for taking time to post a response.

A problem, though. I don't know the meaning of H8.

H8=Hate. I guess it's not as clever as I thought :)

Like the OP, I occasionally listen to left wing stuff on XM.

This isn't an argument. There is only one real reality.

I must admit to some surprise that the negative-ness of the commentary on AM 'conservative' radio hasn't been linked by a poster to the lack of confidence differential between libs and cons in our governmental structures.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

i have put in my lifetime quota of listening to AM right wing horseshit already. same thing with faux.

Back
Top Bottom