• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Academy Awards best song of the year????.......

Navy Pride said:
There are several members in this forum sho claim to be Conservative but a lot of times their posts here betray them.......

I consider myself leaning to the liberal side, but I also have many conservative beliefs. It's next to impossible to judge political leanings based on this President, because Bush is certainly no conservative. Conservatives don't nation build, spend money like a sailor in a whore house, make government bigger and more intrusive, and shred the Constitution.

As far as the "best song of the year."? Gimmeabreak. There's no talent in a piece of garbage like that.

Hoot said:
As far as the "best song of the year."? Gimmeabreak. There's no talent in a piece of garbage like that.
I agree completely. But the Acadamy can award the prize to whomever they like. The Oscar doesn't have to change your opinion of the song, or my opinion or Navy Pride's opinion.

Navy Pride said:
That song degrades women........It is disgusting.........It has no artistic value........T compare it to Moon River a classic is outrageous.Moon River won the Oscar in 1964 that was 42 years ago and its still popular......I can guareentee no one will remember this trash 42 years from now.......They probably won't remember it in 2007.....

There were only 3 songs nominated and honestly I have never heard any of them so it must have been some slim pickens'. I read the lyrics to the song online and they seem pretty stupid....but so what?

I guess NavyPride's point is the media has gotten ridiculously trashy. Yep! I'd agree. We have shows on TV every night where plastic surgeons delight us with their tales and accomplishments. Isn't it great how they can mutilate a perfectly healthy woman in the name of self esteem? TV is in a sad state. The Oscars are simply following the trend.

The sad thing is this trashiness isn't limited to TV. I have trouble buying my 5 yr old daughter clothes that don't have ridiculous statements on them. I have to work to find sweatplants that won't have a word splashed across my 5 year olds assssssssssss!

I hear you Navypride! Though, I don't believe in censorship so the only thing you can do is hope more people start raising their standards. I'm not even hoping for high standards.....just SOME standards:roll:

Now with all that out of the way I will admit I have liked some songs with some questionable lyrics myself:rofl :rofl

KCConservative said:
I agree with all of that. But that still doesn't answer why you make it a partisan issue.

Do you really believe that Hollywierd is not dominated by the liberals and that they are almost all democrats?

Hoot said:
I consider myself leaning to the liberal side, but I also have many conservative beliefs. It's next to impossible to judge political leanings based on this President, because Bush is certainly no conservative. Conservatives don't nation build, spend money like a sailor in a whore house, make government bigger and more intrusive, and shred the Constitution.

But see, it's not technically "best song of the year". It won the award for "Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures (Original Song)". They simply felt that it was the best song written for a specific movie. The other two nominations? I wasn't all that impressed with the Dolly Parton song, and "In The Deep" (from Crash) had amazing instrumentals, but I wasn't feeling it all that much, either. "It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp", in my opinion, best portrayed the actual storyline of the movie it was written for.

Just my :twocents:

Navy Pride said:
Do you really believe that Hollywierd is not dominated by the liberals and that they are almost all democrats?

Yesterday you said Hollywood was ALL liberals and today you say ALMOST ALL. You're all over the place.

Yes, Hollywood is liberal. The ideologies of Barbra Streisand and Michael Moore and Tim Robbin are embarrassing. I don't subscribe to their way of thinking at all. Like you, I am a staunch conservative.

But if I choose to see Brokeback Mountain (our debate from several weeks ago) or defend the Academy for awarding an Oscar to a rap artist, so what? That doesn't make me liberal. Just as refusing to see the film doesn't make you any more of a conservative than me.

I have ingested no liberal Kool-aid, as you like to suggest. The world isn't as black and white as that. I can be conservative and still have an open mind.

Most of you probably have never heard of the artists who wrote that song and won- Three Six Mafia. If you like hip hop, which I do, they are great artists. They've been around forever and have some awesome music.

Who has seen "Hustle and Flow"? It's an awesome movie and the song goes along with that particular movie. It's not just a song about pimps and ho's but it's about this guy's life and his struggles. It's a great movie and the song totally went along with the plot. I agree with Stace that it was way better that the other 2 nominees.

^^^
I agree completely!
Its obvious reading this thread that almost all of the posters did not see the movie "Hustle and Flow" because if they did they would realize that most of their criticism of the song relates directly to the issues in the movie.

"Hustle and Flow" was an excellent film. And I say this because it portrayed incredible images that even someone such as a prostitute and a pimp share many of the same dreams and ideals as "middle America". Terrence Howard's character was extremely sympathetic and I for one found it refreshing to see in a small "non-hollywood" film that the writer/director could take the character and portray a man who is desperately trying to make a better life for himself and his family.

Was it a great song? Before you criticize based solely on the performance at the Academy Awards, put your prudish prejudices aside and see the film for yourself and then decide. I enjoyed the song (and incidentally, I love "Moon River") so by Navy's standards I guess that makes me a Moderate (he shudders).

Back
Top Bottom