• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Academics causes the current political crisis, by promoting materialism

The weirdness of the OP aside, I was having a similar discussion IRL last night with my wife... well, sort of similar.

My issue with modern society is that most of its problems stem from the misconception that we can legislate people into happiness. The inherent problem in that is it creates the false proposition that happiness is a product of wealth when it would seem all of the evidence points to the opposite. I'd argue, at least from the wealthy people I have known in my life, that their wealth is driven by their inability to be happy. The greatest roadblock to being a millionaire is satisfaction.

Many people hit a spot in their life where they are happy, it's pretty much to core of human drive. What we do is build and promote jealousy, teaching peopl ethat they shouldn't be happy with their life, and then rob them of their agency by teaching them that they are actively denied the happiness by the wealthy.

Once you have bred that kind of pointless resentment into a population it will eventually eat itself chasing the unacheivable "equity".

Back
Top Bottom