• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ACA marketplace premiums - better than initial expectations

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Heres a nice article that looks at the expectations of how the ACA premiums in the marketplace would be doing now compared to what was projected in 2009.

If you follow right wing news, you'd clearly think that the premiums would be ridiculously high, increasing by double or triple digits every year since the start of the ACA.

But the reality is that the premiums are actually BELOW expectations due to increased competition in markets (thanks, ACA!) and lower overall health care costs (Thanks, Obama!)

actual-aca-benchmark-premiums-in-2016-vs-cbo-projections.png

How ACA Marketplace Premiums Measure Up to Expectations | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

It still increased and went up.

the whole point is that it is supposed to go down and people are going to see 2500 reductions in insurance premiums
and a whole lot of pie in the sky.

instead premiums continue to climb 10-40+% since obamacare came into
with the averages being in the 20-40% range.

not what I consider a success.

the whole point is that it is supposed to go down and people are going to see 2500 reductions in insurance premiums
and a whole lot of pie in the sky.

instead premiums continue to climb 10-40+% since obamacare came into
with the averages being in the 20-40% range.

not what I consider a success.

No, health care costs always have risen. You apparently expected deflation.

The $2500 number is based upon Obamas original plan, not the ACA.

And for your other numbers, it's the usual right wing dystopian fantasy.

Just to point out.. healthcare premiums and healthcare costs are two different things.

Health care insurance companies are leaving the ACA. A simple search will show that United, BCBS is pulling out of many exchanges. Too much loss.

What is great is the whole point of the a a was to be inexpensive but since it's inception premiums have been going
Up not down as what was supposed to happen they have been going up on average 20-40+% depending on area since the law came into effect.

What is funny is that they are happy at all the increases the lie of the year still remains the lie of the year.

Health care insurance companies are leaving the ACA. A simple search will show that United, BCBS is pulling out of many exchanges. Too much loss.

And other companies are moving in- Cigna into Illinois, for example.

Love how right wingers love the free market and competition until they see how it works!

What is great is the whole point of the a a was to be inexpensive but since it's inception premiums have been going
Up not down as what was supposed to happen they have been going up on average 20-40+% depending on area since the law came into effect.

What is funny is that they are happy at all the increases the lie of the year still remains the lie of the year.

As the OP specifically shows, it's not going up as much as your fevered imagination and wingnut sites think.

Do you have a cite for that?

And other companies are moving in- Cigna into Illinois, for example.

Love how right wingers love the free market and competition until they see how it works!

Not in AZ.

One of Arizona's largest health-care insurers to exit marketplace; second could follow

The nation's largest health-care insurer, UnitedHealthcare, will exit the Affordable Care Act marketplace in Arizona next year, a move that will reduce or eliminate options for consumers to buy subsidized plans in more than half of the state's counties.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also said it will evaluate “all options,” including discontinuing marketplace plans, in some counties for coverage that begins Jan. 1, 2017.

Obamacare insurers dwindle as Humana, UnitedHealthcare exit Arizona

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona would be the only marketplace choice for residents of eight rural Arizona counties. Another five counties would have only two marketplace options to consider. The Department of Insurance did not identify which counties the insurance companies plan to sell products in.

The choices have narrowed this year because UnitedHealthcare and Humana, both citing losses from the Affordable Care Act plans, have exited Arizona's Obamacare marketplace for 2017.

ACA is not so great in AZ.

Not in AZ.

One of Arizona's largest health-care insurers to exit marketplace; second could follow

The nation's largest health-care insurer, UnitedHealthcare, will exit the Affordable Care Act marketplace in Arizona next year, a move that will reduce or eliminate options for consumers to buy subsidized plans in more than half of the state's counties.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona also said it will evaluate “all options,” including discontinuing marketplace plans, in some counties for coverage that begins Jan. 1, 2017.

Obamacare insurers dwindle as Humana, UnitedHealthcare exit Arizona

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona would be the only marketplace choice for residents of eight rural Arizona counties. Another five counties would have only two marketplace options to consider. The Department of Insurance did not identify which counties the insurance companies plan to sell products in.

The choices have narrowed this year because UnitedHealthcare and Humana, both citing losses from the Affordable Care Act plans, have exited Arizona's Obamacare marketplace for 2017.

ACA is not so great in AZ.

Except, of course, AZ has about the lowest insurance rates in the nation.

Analysis of 2015 Premium Changes in the Affordable Care Act’s Health Insurance Marketplaces | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

But I guess when you are determined to whine about something, you'll find something.

Except, of course, AZ has about the lowest insurance rates in the nation.

Analysis of 2015 Premium Changes in the Affordable Care Act’s Health Insurance Marketplaces | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

But I guess when you are determined to whine about something, you'll find something.

Actually, I have no dog in this fight. I don't use the exchange. I have qualifying insurance through my retirement. What I was pointing out is insurance companies are leaving the exchange.

Wasn't one of the principles to the ACA exchanges was to have multiple companies to choose from? With companies leaving, not much competition. Even BCBS states they are loosing money.

Your link is also a year old. Comparing 2014 and 2015 data.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/arizona-state-health-insurance-exchange/

"Rate filings for 2017 are currently under review by state regulators. The proposed average increases range from under 9 percent (Cigna) to almost 65 percent (BCBS of AZ). At ACA Signups, Charles Gaba has calculated a weighted average rate increase of 53 percent for Arizona’s individual market, although he notes that this is still a rough estimate, since there are some gaps in the data.'

" That will leave six carriers offering plans in the Arizona exchange.but there will be eight rural counties that have only one participating exchange carrier (BCBS of Arizona), and five counties with only two'

Actually, I have no dog in this fight. I don't use the exchange. I have qualifying insurance through my retirement. What I was pointing out is insurance companies are leaving the exchange.

Wasn't one of the principles to the ACA exchanges was to have multiple companies to choose from? With companies leaving, not much competition. Even BCBS states they are loosing money.

Your link is also a year old. Comparing 2014 and 2015 data.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/arizona-state-health-insurance-exchange/

"Rate filings for 2017 are currently under review by state regulators. The proposed average increases range from under 9 percent (Cigna) to almost 65 percent (BCBS of AZ). At ACA Signups, Charles Gaba has calculated a weighted average rate increase of 53 percent for Arizona’s individual market, although he notes that this is still a rough estimate, since there are some gaps in the data.'

" That will leave six carriers offering plans in the Arizona exchange.but there will be eight rural counties that have only one participating exchange carrier (BCBS of Arizona), and five counties with only two'

Right. There are six carriers.

And the rate increases are requests, not reality, and even if they get them, it's still some of the lowest rates in the nation.

Not sure why you think having competition and low rates is a problem, especially given the amount of people who now have insurance that didn't before.

5 Years Later: How the ACA is Working for Arizona | HHS.gov

Rural counties have less as a general rule- not sure what you can do about that, but I'm sure if you have ideas, HHS would love to hear them.

Seems to me, overall, the ACA is working quite well in AZ.

Heres a nice article that looks at the expectations of how the ACA premiums in the marketplace would be doing now compared to what was projected in 2009.

If you follow right wing news, you'd clearly think that the premiums would be ridiculously high, increasing by double or triple digits every year since the start of the ACA.

But the reality is that the premiums are actually BELOW expectations due to increased competition in markets (thanks, ACA!) and lower overall health care costs (Thanks, Obama!)

actual-aca-benchmark-premiums-in-2016-vs-cbo-projections.png

How ACA Marketplace Premiums Measure Up to Expectations | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

So the CBO screwed the pooch on their projections??? Two sides to this coin....

Right. There are six carriers.

And the rate increases are requests, not reality, and even if they get them, it's still some of the lowest rates in the nation.

Not sure why you think having competition and low rates is a problem, especially given the amount of people who now have insurance that didn't before.

5 Years Later: How the ACA is Working for Arizona | HHS.gov

Rural counties have less as a general rule- not sure what you can do about that, but I'm sure if you have ideas, HHS would love to hear them.

Seems to me, overall, the ACA is working quite well in AZ.

I can see your a glass is half full type person. Since you don't live in AZ, most likely don't understand the income levels, and lack of services in small towns. But that is ok. Go support the ACA all you want.

I can see your a glass is half full type person. Since you don't live in AZ, most likely don't understand the income levels, and lack of services in small towns. But that is ok. Go support the ACA all you want.

I actually understand it well. Its not that much different from anywhere else in the US that is rural and remote.

I'm merely pointing out that the ACA has led to improvements, has led to good competition among exchange providers (yes, even in Arizona), has had fairly good cost containment, both in terms of health care premiums as well as heathcare costs in general (especially Medicare).

I'd call it 'glass three quarters full'.

Yeah, not really.

According to our analysis, average premiums for the second-lowest cost silver-level (SLS) marketplace plan in 2014, which serves as a benchmark for ACA subsidies, were between 10 and 21 percent lower than average individual market premiums in 2013, before the ACA, even while providing enrollees with significantly richer coverage and a broader set of benefits. Silver-level ACA plans cover roughly 17 percent more of an enrollee’s health expenses than pre-ACA plans did, on average. In essence, then, consumers received more coverage at a lower price.

Moreover, ACA marketplace SLS plan premiums are still lower in 2016 than individual market premiums were in 2013, on average, and a full 20 percent below where the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) originally projected they would be when they first estimated the impacts of the ACA in 2009.

Adler_Exhibit1.png

Well, look at all the citations where Obama says that.

Youll see it pretty much disappears as a claim about September 2008.

That is because it was bull **** and he knew it.
Premiums still continue to go up instead of down and that doesn't include the deductibles that people have to pay.

Obama care was the biggest government con ever in the history of the us.

That is because it was bull **** and he knew it.
Premiums still continue to go up instead of down and that doesn't include the deductibles that people have to pay.

Obama care was the biggest government con ever in the history of the us.

The ACA did what it was designed to do, and potentially had an even greater effect on costs than anticipated.

The GOP has never even come up with an alternative plan to replace it, because they know that repealing it is just their way of shoveling BS to their voters.

The ACA did what it was designed to do, and potentially had an even greater effect on costs than anticipated.

The GOP has never even come up with an alternative plan to replace it, because they know that repealing it is just their way of shoveling BS to their voters.

Lol costs continue to go up not down we know that was the goal so you were right in that regard.
That is a lie they have had plenty of plans to replace it.

In fact they introduced a ton of them.

Now the deception of obamacare finally got figured out by the insurance companies and they are pulling out.
Almost all of the co ops have gone under. The ones that remain will be forced to increase prices to deal with all the
New sick people. The system was never designed to insure people it was done to try and collapse the insurance companies.

The fact is it didn't work. The insurance companies got smart and are pulling out.

And healthcare costs have been rising at the slowest rates in recent history.

While premiums continue to go up and insurance companies are making more money than ever...

THANKS OBAMA!

While premiums continue to go up and insurance companies are making more money than ever...

THANKS OBAMA!

Well, premiums are rising, but when prices rise, thats to be expected. And insurance companies are making money (despite the angushed cries of ACA haters which insist they are all losing their shirts with the ACA) and, more importantly, using their earnings to pay for healthcare for customers instead of pocketing the difference thanks to guys like Al Franken for insisting on the medical loss ratio provisions in the ACA.

So yes..... Thanks, Obama!

Back
Top Bottom