• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abstract Art

Do you like abstract art?

• I really like them

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I like them

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have no idea. I'm neutral

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I like them both

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I dislike them

• I really dislike them

• Total voters

LaughAtTheWorld

Custom User Title
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Do you like abstract art? I, myself like them to some level, but I prefer the old classical paintings over abstract art. In some way, they're intriguing and mysterious and fun, but they seem too abstract for me. I guess that why they're called abstract art

I don't like art that has no visual focus - sure, there's some skill that actually goes into it, it's actually a bit hard to toss paint on a canvas in an appealing way.

But just because its' a painting of something doesn't mean it's 'art' to me, either.
I remember going to the National Museum of American Art in DC years ago (when I was a kid) and going "wtf?) at Campbell soup-cans on the wall :shrug:

But, at the same time, there have been a few pieces of abstract art that I've seen that are interesting - the colors are pretty or put together in an image-like manor even though it wasn't a painting of something in particular.
Oddly - these that appealed to me were all done on 11x14 sheets by students at a mentally disabled school - but they were fascinating.
One was an oil with star-like color smears (dark colors: red, blue, purple) and then that was painted over with black and white - almost like starry night with a demented touch.

Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, abstract art just isn't 'paint on canvas' - it's also found in stain glass, on pottery, and jewelry.
In these other areas - I really like some ideas I've seen because the medium it's presented on gives it a feel or a style on it's own - stain glass uses light. Pottery uses the shape of the items itself and jewelry is more appealing to me if it doesn't have a pattern or picture to it.

This is a beautiful one one by Brian Giberson
art-home.gif

It looks like it's suppose to be something, but it's not - it could be a cityscape, a bridge, a shipwreck under water . . . there's no "it is ___ and only ___ "

Here's another:
Architextpost.jpg

So I guess, if it's certain colors and just visual enough, I'll like it.

Last edited:
I believe art should actually require artistic talent in order for it to be considered art. If it looks like something any elementary school kids painted or made then it should not be considered art. If it looks like something a little kids drew or painted(Vincent van Gogh, Edvard Munch, Pablo Picasso) then it should not be considered art. **** like that is nothing more than an abomination to real art and only discredits real artists. Crap being pawned off as art has gotten so bad that that someone can just put pollen and rice in a bowl and lay it on the floor and its considered art(Wolfgang Laib) ,someone can put trash in a bag and call it art(Gustav Metzger)or that someone can literally piss in a jar and throw a plastic rosary in it and take a picture and its considered art(Andres Serrano). I do not give a rats ass if these people went to art school,obviously their parents should have asked for their money back seeing the crap these people are pawning off as art. Real artist should sue these frauds for defamation and punch these frauds in the face. What these frauds are doings would be like someone reading a magazine and calling its a sport or someone ****ting a lake and calling it fishing.

Yeah - I don't like Dali or Picasso for various reasons but age is irrelevant.
I love my kid's art - abstract and otherwise:

AbstractArt003.jpg

Last edited:
Art has always been and will always be in the eye of the beholder. When someone produces a work of art, someone somewhere is always going to want to punch them in the face. That's why they teach art appreciation in public schools. So you can know why you become outraged at viewing certain works of art that were designed to stir outrage in you.

That's why they teach art appreciation in public schools.
We had art classes in all the schools I went to, not art appreciation. If you have to take a class to appreciate art then it must not be art in the first place.

So you can know why you become outraged at viewing certain works of art that were designed to stir outrage in you.

The reason something could probably outrage someone is because it is not art and its merely garbage being pawned off as art. To claim it is would be claim a finger painting by a four year old child is art or that a ****ty diaper is art.

Why can't a finger painting by a 4 year old be art?

Art can be anything - if someone likes it and thinks it's art - then it's art.

Alexandria Nechita is a child-artist. . .so is Akiane - "Gracefullness" is one she drew when she was 5.

Here's one I found in a random search: painted by a 5 year old

Last edited:
We had art classes in all the schools I went to, not art appreciation. If you have to take a class to appreciate art then it must not be art in the first place.
mmm, you'd be surprised. Balance and movement are the two simple things that viewers without art education usually miss, and are therefore not 'moved'. There are many others.

The reason something could probably outrage someone is because it is not art and its merely garbage being pawned off as art. To claim it is would be claim a finger painting by a four year old child is art or that a ****ty diaper is art.
The finger painting would be art, albeit from a novice artist in most cases.

A dirty diaper would stink. Then you could say: "this art stinks" and you'd be right.

I believe art should actually require artistic talent in order for it to be considered art. If it looks like something any elementary school kids painted or made then it should not be considered art.

I studied fine arts and art history. If there's anything I cannot stand any more (sorry Jamesrage) it's the tired ole "my 4 year old can paint that." Sure art is subjective... I get that. But abstract art created by those who have skill and/or education are good for a number of reasons. There's colour, balance, imagination and texture to name a few of the skills necessary in creating beautiful works. And judging the works I have seen from 4 year-olds, none can compete with even the so-so abstract artists.

BTW, I can draw in a fairly realistic way:

middleground-albums-me-picture67111998-iza.jpg

But I don't have the talent to draw or paint well in an abstract way.

I agree with that - there are different levels of art . . . yet none are quite based purely on age. . . saying so suggests that "anyone can get really good - when they get older" which is not true :) You either have talent and skills at any age - or you don't.

Definitely can't 'get' talent - lawd knows I've tried. LOL

I agree with that - there are different levels of art . . . yet none are quite based purely on age. . . saying so suggests that "anyone can get really good - when they get older" which is not true :) You either have talent and skills at any age - or you don't.

Definitely can't 'get' talent - lawd knows I've tried. LOL

I agree to some extent, but not fully. A natural skill in visual arts is needed in order to have the ability to produce beautiful works. However, a natural skill can most definitely be improved and honed through education and practice.

Like taste develops for food over time and exposure so does an understanding of art.

I agree to some extent, but not fully. A natural skill in visual arts is needed in order to have the ability to produce beautiful works. However, a natural skill can most definitely be improved and honed through education and practice.

Very true! You can improve your already existing abilities with lessons - like "practice makes perfect"
Or vise versa: you can take your abilities and crap on them by not practiciing and exercising them at all.

I personally love abstract art. I like art that is open to interpretation.

I’m a classically trained artist (degree) who happens to enjoying doing abstract art.
I like breaking rules but, I still use formal qualities while creating my art.

I like most abstract art as long as it's not post-modern. I think most post-modern art is garbage that has no message or controversy. If I can't see the intended message in the art piece without reading a two page writeup about it, then it's not working. If I can't even imagine what the message could be because the art is so post-modern then I have zero interest.

Back
Top Bottom