• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Absolutely Amazing Isn't It? This Bad Economy.................

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Automakers report sales up double-digits in August » Knoxville News Sentinel

DETROIT — Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Chrysler and General Motors all reported double-digit U.S. sales gains last month as strong sales of pickup trucks and small cars led the industry toward its best month in six years.

Toyota posted the biggest gain, with sales up nearly 23 percent over August of last year. Nissan sales were up 22 percent, the best August in company history. At General Motors, sales were up almost 15 percent for the company’s best month since September of 2008. Chrysler and Ford each reported 12 percent gains.

It was Chrysler’s best August in six years, while August was Toyota’s best month in more than five years. All major automakers report sales numbers Wednesday.

Industry analysts say August could be the best sales month since May of 2007, when $3 a gallon gasoline set off panic buying of fuel-thrifty vehicles. LMC Automotive, an industry consulting firm, is predicting that total U.S. sales last month were close to 1.5 million, about 12 percent higher than a year ago.

In May of 2007, automakers sold more than 1.56 million cars and trucks, due largely to a boom in small cars as the nationwide average for gas topped $3 a gallon for the first time. This time, small cars did well, but weren’t the only big sellers. Analysts say consumers are buying everything from tiny Honda Fits to big pickup trucks as an improving economy keeps pushing auto sales higher.

“The auto industry continues to be a bright spot in the economic recovery,” Bill Fay, the Toyota division’s group vice president, said in a statement. “August capped a great summer for new vehicle sales.”

Chrysler and GM are predicting that total U.S. sales in August ran at an annual rate above 16 million, a pace last seen before the Great Recession.

The strong numbers are more proof that businesses are gaining confidence and buying trucks to replace their aging fleets.

Businesses are more confident because the FED has been giving them 80 billion per month, via the stock market.

One reason Toyota and Nissan sales have been up is their aggressive pursuit of current owners--0% APR and etc. I have resisted, but I know two people who have purchased Toyotas because the trade-in deals were too sweet to pass up. One was told that this is because of the need for cars post-Sandy.

One reason Toyota and Nissan sales have been up is their aggressive pursuit of current owners--0% APR and etc. I have resisted, but I know two people who have purchased Toyotas because the trade-in deals were too sweet to pass up. One was told that this is because of the need for cars post-Sandy.

You people amaze me. The piece explains that sales haven't been this good in the last five years. Your attitude rejects any premise of good news under the first nigger.

You people amaze me. The piece explains that sales haven't been this good in the last five years. Your attitude rejects any premise of good news under the first nigger.

Why do you always make racist posts?

I thought the auto industry was doomed to be crushed by greedy unions?

Some people simply call a good month a bubble, others a trend that will save an entrie industry. ;)

Perhaps we should wait and see. Also noted in your huge automotive industry success story was that foreign (non-union?) automakers saw much larger sales growth than did the US "big 3".

Some people simply call a good month a bubble, others a trend that will save an entrie industry. ;)

Perhaps we should wait and see. Also noted in your huge automotive industry success story was that foreign (non-union?) automakers saw much larger sales growth than did the US "big 3".

Good Month!!! LOL

auto+sales.png

Good Month!!! LOL

auto+sales.png

Yep. They are now able to sell as many units as they did 5 years ago, yet they employ fewer people and at lower rates of pay. Take away essentially interest free loans for 5-6 years and see what will happen to those sales trends.

Yep. They are now able to sell as many units as they did 5 years ago, yet they employ fewer people and at lower rates of pay. Take away essentially interest free loans for 5-6 years and see what will happen to those sales trends.

Spoken like a true fan of Fox News.

Do you right wingers ever, for a minute, pay any attention to facts??

Campbell doesn't like people of color, so he refers to them by derogatory racial slurs. He's an old guy, so probably how he was raised.

Most of what I say here is tongue in cheek. I voted for the president twice and am getting even more unhappy because the Republicans put the two term limit on the presidency after Franklin Roosevelt ate their lunch for 13 years. I wish I could have the opportunity to vote for Obama again.

More partisan garbage.

Step 1) Seek something positive in the news.
Step 2) Attribute it to the President of the USA.

So stupid.

Most of what I say here is tongue in cheek. I voted for the president twice and am getting even more unhappy because the Republicans put the two term limit on the presidency after Franklin Roosevelt ate their lunch for 13 years. I wish I could have the opportunity to vote for Obama again.

You call the President a "nigger", or anyone else, sorry chief, I just don't buy that that's tongue in cheek.

DETROIT — Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Chrysler and General Motors all reported double-digit U.S. sales gains last month as strong sales of pickup trucks and small cars led the industry toward its best month in six years.

That sounds great, but I'd be curious to know how many of those people/ companies bought vehicles that they couldn't actually afford.

I make pretty good money, but would never dream of buying most of the well selling vehicles on dealers lots. Mostly because I'd never want that kind of debt hanging over my head, given my paycheck I often wonder how so many people make the leap of faith and purchase grandly expensive cars or trucks.

I'll blame it on ever more intrusive advertising.

That sounds great, but I'd be curious to know how many of those people/ companies bought vehicles that they couldn't actually afford.

I make pretty good money, but would never dream of buying most of the well selling vehicles on dealers lots. Mostly because I'd never want that kind of debt hanging over my head, given my paycheck I often wonder how so many people make the leap of faith and purchase grandly expensive cars or trucks.

I'll blame it on ever more intrusive advertising.

I agree. I see people who I know for a fact earn a whole lot less than I do buying cars and houses a lot more expensive than I'm comfortable buying. Most people just aren't very good with their money.

I agree. I see people who I know for a fact earn a whole lot less than I do buying cars and houses a lot more expensive than I'm comfortable buying. Most people just aren't very good with their money.

Many use the government as a role model.

Many use the government as a role model.

Our tax code discourages savings (it taxes most interest income earned) and subsidizes the use of credit (interest paid is mostly tax deductable). The social engineering built into the federal income tax code, taxation being based on how (and upon who) that income was later spent tends to make people act differently (irrationally?).

I'm pretty sure that this is merely a repeat of what people dealt with in the 1920's, just prior to the crash & subsequent recession.

Buying a house on margin. . . that's silly, we better never do that again.

I'm pretty sure that most of the gains we see are through crediting companies artificially increasing peoples buying power.

Eventually it will all crumble again, just like the housing market.

Right now it's education and autos.

You call the President a "nigger", or anyone else, sorry chief, I just don't buy that that's tongue in cheek.

I've never called anybody a nigger. I've never mistreated anyone because of their color. I saw my uncles on the maternal side mistreat the sharecroppers on my granddad's farm. I pledged then to never let that happen to me. The reason I said first nigger is because that's exactly why the house of representatives has opposed each and every plan he proposed which was designed to put people back to work. He's their nigger...not mine. The Republicans are so transparent anybody can see their prejudice. Here in east TN that bull**** is just about as bad as Mississippi and Alabama. Around here Republicans out number Democrats about 3-1. If you want to see prejudice exemplified.....look at the red states in the south. Coincidence?? I think not. Keep the path you're on and you'll never win another presidential election.

waldo_map.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom