• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Absolutely Amazing Isn't It? This Bad Economy.................

Automakers report sales up double-digits in August » Knoxville News Sentinel

DETROIT — Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Chrysler and General Motors all reported double-digit U.S. sales gains last month as strong sales of pickup trucks and small cars led the industry toward its best month in six years.

Toyota posted the biggest gain, with sales up nearly 23 percent over August of last year. Nissan sales were up 22 percent, the best August in company history. At General Motors, sales were up almost 15 percent for the company’s best month since September of 2008. Chrysler and Ford each reported 12 percent gains.

It was Chrysler’s best August in six years, while August was Toyota’s best month in more than five years. All major automakers report sales numbers Wednesday.

Industry analysts say August could be the best sales month since May of 2007, when $3 a gallon gasoline set off panic buying of fuel-thrifty vehicles. LMC Automotive, an industry consulting firm, is predicting that total U.S. sales last month were close to 1.5 million, about 12 percent higher than a year ago.

In May of 2007, automakers sold more than 1.56 million cars and trucks, due largely to a boom in small cars as the nationwide average for gas topped $3 a gallon for the first time. This time, small cars did well, but weren’t the only big sellers. Analysts say consumers are buying everything from tiny Honda Fits to big pickup trucks as an improving economy keeps pushing auto sales higher.

“The auto industry continues to be a bright spot in the economic recovery,” Bill Fay, the Toyota division’s group vice president, said in a statement. “August capped a great summer for new vehicle sales.”

Chrysler and GM are predicting that total U.S. sales in August ran at an annual rate above 16 million, a pace last seen before the Great Recession.

The strong numbers are more proof that businesses are gaining confidence and buying trucks to replace their aging fleets.
You're right, Campbell. That's absolutely amazing.

LOL....I got my education at a nuclear weapons facility and a two year course in electronics. After 25 years with the company I was serving as project manager coordinating the activities of numerous maintenance personnel and all disciplines of engineering while completing 8-14 month long projects which cost from $5 million to $11 million. I was involved in everything from the original procurement bid processes(RFP) to final testing for acceptance using DOE standard procedures.

Just think what I might have done with a real education.

Well I see my point sailed right over your head. Anybody surprised? ......................[crickets]...............Didn't think so.

You people amaze me. The piece explains that sales haven't been this good in the last five years. Your attitude rejects any premise of good news under the first nigger.

This is good news, but it has to be put in context of the continuing employment numbers and labor participation rate. We've been adding only enough jobs to cover people joining the work force, and so forth and so on. The Fed has been talking about weaning us off the extra money, which is going to start pulling the stock market down. This has been the most pathetic "recovery" in recorded history, and that is due to the President's policies. We are not going to be blind to these things just because the President is black.

Damn shame we can't bring back the 4500 young Americans who were killed in Bush's unnecessary war in Iraq. There were also about 35,000 seriously wounded. I might also mention that he was the first U S president in our history to borrow from Communist Chinese banks. He doubled the national debt after assuming a balanced budget with surpluses projected to the out years. Absolutely the worst president I've seen in my lifetime but of course I'm just 79.

LowDown's Law: When a liberal brings up Bush he has lost the argument.

Keep it up...you've lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections.

Meh. Republicans control the majority of governorships and the majority of state legislatures and the House, but whatever.

Keep it up...you've lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections.

Perhaps counting isn't your strong suit..... 4 out of the last 6. :2razz:

2012 - Obama (D)
2008 - Obama (D)
2004 - Bush (R)
2000 - Bush (R)
1996 - Clinton (D)
1992 - Clinton (D)

This is good news, but it has to be put in context of the continuing employment numbers and labor participation rate. We've been adding only enough jobs to cover people joining the work force, and so forth and so on. The Fed has been talking about weaning us off the extra money, which is going to start pulling the stock market down. This has been the most pathetic "recovery" in recorded history, and that is due to the President's policies. We are not going to be blind to these things just because the President is black.

It's a goddam site better than what he took over:

jobs.gif

Screen%20shot%202012-07-06%20at%202.56.41%20PM.png

Last edited:
It's a goddam site better than what he took over:

Which is to say it's still pathetic. It was caused by Democrat policies and maintained by Democrat policies and unless we get rid of the Democrats we will never be rid of it.

Which is to say it's still pathetic. It was caused by Democrat policies and maintained by Democrat policies and unless we get rid of the Democrats we will never be rid of it.

LOL...get rid of the Democrats? They've eaten your lunch on the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections. When the "No Tax" crowd came along they sealed the fate of Republicans.

Perhaps counting isn't your strong suit..... 4 out of the last 6. :2razz:

2012 - Obama (D)
2008 - Obama (D)
2004 - Bush (R)
2000 - Bush (R)
1996 - Clinton (D)
1992 - Clinton (D)

Bush lost the popular vote in 2000. He won what counted, the Electoral College.

Income

So, can we say he's done a good job of helping the "wealth creators" and the "job creators"?

Bush lost the popular vote in 2000. He won what counted, the Electoral College.

That's a huge crock of ****.

His brother Jeb and his concubine Katherine Harris kicked the whole deal up to the U S supreme court who voted along party line 5-4 to stop the recount. I had a good friend who was a technician in the south FL area who was called in to adjust the punches in the voting machines and he said most of the votes which were discarded because the machine had not punched clean holes were very obviously Democrat votes. Catch this.....he's a centrist leaning right himself. The Fl Electoral votes should have gone to Gore along with the half a million more popular votes that he received.

That's a huge crock of ****.

His brother Jeb and his concubine Katherine Harris kicked the whole deal up to the U S supreme court who voted along party line 5-4 to stop the recount. I had a good friend who was a technician in the south FL area who was called in to adjust the punches in the voting machines and he said most of the votes which were discarded because the machine had not punched clean holes were very obviously Democrat votes. Catch this.....he's a centrist leaning right himself. The Fl Electoral votes should have gone to Gore along with the half a million more popular votes that he received.

I like how keith posts backing you up, and you argue with him. Lol

It's like watching a blindfolded fat kid swinging for the fences to knock the candy out of that mother ****ing elephant piñata.

Everyone stand back!

If you think his correcting my true post by stating a correction to what I said is backing me up your head is buried deeper than I thought......and that's deep.

If you think his correcting my true post by stating a correction to what I said is backing me up your head is buried deeper than I thought......and that's deep.

Keith didn't correct you, he backed you up. He corrected ockham. Read again.

Who's head is buried deep?

Damn shame we can't bring back the 4500 young Americans who were killed in Bush's unnecessary war in Iraq. There were also about 35,000 seriously wounded. I might also mention that he was the first U S president in our history to borrow from Communist Chinese banks. He doubled the national debt after assuming a balanced budget with surpluses projected to the out years. Absolutely the worst president I've seen in my lifetime but of course I'm just 79.

WTF does any of that have to do with cars wearing out?

WTF does any of that have to do with cars wearing out?

I don't blame you. If I was a Republican these days I would be ****tin my pants.

Cutting the tax rates for rich folks, doing away with the middle class, running up the most massive debt in the nation's history, invading the wrong country, unnecessarily getting 4500 young Americans killed and getting another 35,000 seriously wounded, losing the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections, not knowing what to do with the T Party, etc. etc. etc.

I don't blame you. If I was a Republican these days I would be ****tin my pants.

Cutting the tax rates for rich folks, doing away with the middle class, running up the most massive debt in the nation's history, invading the wrong country, unnecessarily getting 4500 young Americans killed and getting another 35,000 seriously wounded, losing the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections, not knowing what to do with the T Party, etc. etc. etc.

Again, WTF does that have to do with cars wearing out? Are you OK?

You people amaze me. The piece explains that sales haven't been this good in the last five years. Your attitude rejects any premise of good news under the first nigger.

Just proves what I have said all along--people falsely assume that what is good for cars is good for everybody/

By the way, using the N word to describe the President is very disrespectful to the office so even if you yourself choose to be a racist toward him, at least try to show some respect for the position.

Just proves what I have said all along--people falsely assume that what is good for cars is good for everybody/

By the way, using the N word to describe the President is very disrespectful to the office so even if you yourself choose to be a racist toward him, at least try to show some respect for the position.

Why should anybody have respect for a political position or any other position for that matter? Shouldn't respect be given to or taken from people rather than positions? Personally I disrespect politicians in a global sense. I find it curious that someone would want to respect their office.

Again, WTF does that have to do with cars wearing out? Are you OK?

Have you ever heard of a man on a mission? My days are beginning to run out. In the last fourteen months I've had a heart attack, serious abdominal surgery, eye surgery, diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and take six medicines each day. I want to be sure everybody finds out what a bunch of fakers the Republicans have turned into since Ronald Reagan took over. 'Course that's just 32 years ago.

The Republican party I belonged to and was a part of stood for balanced budgets, small government and individual liberty. Now.....if they stand for anything it's military style weapons on our streets, corporations and borrowing trillions from foreign banks to support low taxes rates for the wealthy. I did not leave the party....the party left me.

Have you ever heard of a man on a mission? My days are beginning to run out. In the last fourteen months I've had a heart attack, serious abdominal surgery, eye surgery, diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and take six medicines each day. I want to be sure everybody finds out what a bunch of fakers the Republicans have turned into since Ronald Reagan took over. 'Course that's just 32 years ago.

The Republican party I belonged to and was a part of stood for balanced budgets, small government and individual liberty. Now.....if they stand for anything it's military style weapons on our streets, corporations and borrowing trillions from foreign banks to support low taxes rates for the wealthy. I did not leave the party....the party left me.

No offense but don't you have anything better to do with your last days than rant and rave on the republican party?

Automakers report sales up double-digits in August » Knoxville News Sentinel

DETROIT — Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Chrysler and General Motors all reported double-digit U.S. sales gains last month as strong sales of pickup trucks and small cars led the industry toward its best month in six years.

Toyota posted the biggest gain, with sales up nearly 23 percent over August of last year. Nissan sales were up 22 percent, the best August in company history. At General Motors, sales were up almost 15 percent for the company’s best month since September of 2008. Chrysler and Ford each reported 12 percent gains.

It was Chrysler’s best August in six years, while August was Toyota’s best month in more than five years. All major automakers report sales numbers Wednesday.

Industry analysts say August could be the best sales month since May of 2007, when $3 a gallon gasoline set off panic buying of fuel-thrifty vehicles. LMC Automotive, an industry consulting firm, is predicting that total U.S. sales last month were close to 1.5 million, about 12 percent higher than a year ago.

In May of 2007, automakers sold more than 1.56 million cars and trucks, due largely to a boom in small cars as the nationwide average for gas topped $3 a gallon for the first time. This time, small cars did well, but weren’t the only big sellers. Analysts say consumers are buying everything from tiny Honda Fits to big pickup trucks as an improving economy keeps pushing auto sales higher.

“The auto industry continues to be a bright spot in the economic recovery,” Bill Fay, the Toyota division’s group vice president, said in a statement. “August capped a great summer for new vehicle sales.”

Chrysler and GM are predicting that total U.S. sales in August ran at an annual rate above 16 million, a pace last seen before the Great Recession.

The strong numbers are more proof that businesses are gaining confidence and buying trucks to replace their aging fleets.

Are they strong numbers or do they just look strong compared with numbers six years ago when, ya know, we were in the middle of a recession?

Back
Top Bottom