• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abrams mulls asking a court to order a second vote in Georgia governor’s race

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ories_abramselection-1120a:homepage/story-ans

The long-shot strategy, first reported by the Associated Press, comes as Georgia elections officials appear to be poised to certify Kemp as the winner in the hard-fought contest as early as Friday.

If Abrams moves forward, she would rely on a provision in Georgia law that has never been utilized in such a high-profile contest. It allows losing candidates to challenge results based on “misconduct, fraud or irregularities . . . sufficient to change or place in doubt the results.” The decision could ultimately fall to the state’s Supreme Court.

I think she will. Then off to the Courts.
She must show that enough voters were illegally disenfranchised of their lawful right to vote
Presently that would entail approx 18 K voters denied their right to vote

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/15/us/politics/georgia-abrams-kemp-voting.html

ATLANTA — Reports that tens of thousands of Georgia voters, predominantly African-Americans, were placed on a list for further scrutiny have exploded into the Georgia governor’s race, leading to bitter exchanges between the candidates and leaving many residents uncertain what to expect as the state began early voting Monday.

The uproar over voting seems almost an inevitable development in the race, which pits two candidates on opposite sides of the nation’s voting wars who have battled with one another over access to the polls for years.

Last edited:
Unfortunately... the gap is just enough that a court fight may not help things. If I understand the provision correctly she has to show that fraud occurred for this to work, it would take more than an accusation with no other info given.

Unfortunately... the gap is just enough that a court fight may not help things. If I understand the provision correctly she has to show that fraud occurred for this to work, it would take more than an accusation with no other info given.

From what I understand(note edit/added link in OP) that approx 18 K voters were denied their legal right to vote

From what I understand(note edit/added link in OP) that approx 18 K voters were denied their legal right to vote

I know, I live here.

The issue is the same, under this provision she has to show it. Just *saying* so does not mean much.

Note how much Democrats are willing to fight to get their elections won. What do Republicans do? No investigations, no lawsuits, nothing. They're pathetic.

I know, I live here.

The issue is the same, under this provision she has to show it. Just *saying* so does not mean much.

I get the feeling she will. Now how it would turn out, well??????????? who knows

Can you be more crass? :roll:

Why is it every time Democrats lose, they always claim voting/electoral fraud. Stacy Abrams, Bill Nelson, Andrew Gillium, Al Gore. The excuses are getting old.

Instead of blaming the process, maybe they should blame the stupid voters who can't even vote for the right candidate.

Note how much Democrats are willing to fight to get their elections won. What do Republicans do? No investigations, no lawsuits, nothing. They're pathetic.

:lamo

This is one of the most laughable things I've ever read.

Republicans modus operandi is to fish into the courts for judges that are sympathetic to their politics, who will then use their powers to steal elections for them.

Kemp getting to oversee his own election and determine who was on the voter rolls, is like something out of Ubkestein or Iran. If a Democrat had been SoS and done what Kemp did, the RNC would be on FOX 24/7, demanding the dismantlement of the DNC.

Why is it every time Democrats lose, they always claim voting/electoral fraud. Stacy Abrams, Bill Nelson, Andrew Gillium, Al Gore. The excuses are getting old.

Instead of blaming the process, maybe they should blame the stupid voters who can't even vote for the right candidate.

It's like you live in a parallel universe or something.

The Republicans are the ones that always lawyer up to prevent all the ballots from urban (blue) districts from being counted, instead of letting the election officials do their job. Then they have the nerve to talk about other people trying to steal elections.

It's like you live in a parallel universe or something.

The Republicans are the ones that always lawyer up to prevent all the ballots from urban (blue) districts from being counted, instead of letting the election officials do their job. Then they have the nerve to talk about other people trying to steal elections.

If you want to talk about voting fraud just look at California:

Kim is vying to replace retiring Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif., in California’s 39th District, which includes part of the state's more Republican Orange County. Last week, she held about a 3-point lead over Democrat Gil Cisneros with about 150,000 votes counted.

But since then, that lead vanished, with Cisneros taking a 941-vote as of late Thursday.

Her campaign did not immediately return a request for comment from Fox News. But Kim, who was in D.C. Wednesday for orientation for newly elected House members, released a blistering statement earlier in the week, accusing the Cisneros campaign of “harassing and intimidating vote counters in Orange County.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/re...onent-gil-cisneros-of-harassing-vote-counters

Let me guess....all Democrats?

I wonder how many African Americans/other Minorities were disenfranchised in Good Ol Georgia.
To clarify the above, light Brown to dark Black
For the worlds most powerful democracy that screams about being unique, how are ya doing in permitting all legal persons to exercise the basic but most important right to vote.

I never thought the day would come when individuals of any party affiliation would act to deny citizens their right to vote, and yet that day has come.

• What is the main criterion to vote in the U.S? For the most part, being a citizen. That's it.[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • What document is produced to affirm one's status as a citizen? A birth certificate or a naturalization documents if one is an immigrant.
  • So what document is necessary to show one's right to vote? A birth certificate or naturalization documents.
Yet, a birth certificate won't pass muster as ID for voting. That is why I have a problem with voter ID laws: the one document that declares one's status as a citizen isn't acceptable for identifying oneself and the documents that identify one don't establish that one is a citizen. For example:
  • Indiana

RealID_marker.jpg
  • Mississippi

mississippi-drivers-license.jpg

Additionally, I don't cotton to states requiring one to register to vote. With the tech available, it's just not necessary.
  • Show up at a polling station with your birth certificate and vote for POTUS.
  • Show up at a polling station with your birth certificate and proof of residency in "this and that" jurisdiction to vote for non-POTUS candidates.
I don't care where someone votes, I care that one votes once, and all that's needed for that is an integrated national database containing all living and eligible-to-vote persons and "control" software that validates the vote one casts against one's most current information in the database.

With such a system, we could then stop concerning ourselves with who isn't authorized to vote and focus instead on counting the votes cast and for whom they were cast. We need to dispense with all the BS about when one registers, where one registered, whether one voted in the right or wrong district or at the wrong/right polling station, etc.

Note:
  1. It wasn't until 1996 that federal law prohibited voting in federal elections by non-citizens. Even as that law exists, states remain free to enfranchise non-citizens. AFAIK, AR, just prior to 1930, was the last state to outlaw state election level voting by non-citizens. A few municipalities, however, allow non-citizens of any status to vote.

Do you have any idea how elections work?

Hundreds of thousands of ballots come in late all the time, changing the vote totals days after the election, and typically they are Democratic votes in urban counties. We just never talk about it because it's usually not a factor at all. But this time the GOP had raiser thin margins on election night, and they disappeared after all the outstanding ballots were counted.

Ironically, it was Republicans that pushed for the verification processes that result in these ballots taking so long to be counted.

Calling it voter fraud like the GOP has just goes to show they are well aware of how ignorant their base is of basic election workings, and that they'll eat up anything they say.

With such a system, we could then stop concerning ourselves with who isn't authorized to vote and focus instead on counting the votes cast and for whom they were cast. We need to dispense with all the BS about when one registers, where one registered, whether one voted in the right or wrong district or at the wrong/right polling station, etc.

Without voter suppression legislation, Republicans would lose many more elections. Especially as America becomes browner.

This is especially true in the red southern states, like Georgia. I imagine the suppression tactics will increase as more minorities run for state/national office in this region.

Without voter suppression legislation, Republicans would lose many more elections. Especially as America becomes browner.

This is especially true in the red southern states, like Georgia. I imagine the suppression tactics will increase as more minorities run for state/national office in this region.

Probably....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ories_abramselection-1120a:homepage/story-ans

I think she will. Then off to the Courts.
She must show that enough voters were illegally disenfranchised of their lawful right to vote
Presently that would entail approx 18 K voters denied their right to vote

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/15/us/politics/georgia-abrams-kemp-voting.html

This would be the lady where there were around 35,000 ballots that were mysteriously blank in an electoral district which tends to be highly supportive of her political party, wouldn't it?

Let me guess....all Democrats?

In Georgia? With their history of racism? With the current POTUS normalizing racism in the USA? Yeah, I'm willing to bet the majority of people who lost their votes were non-white.

What do you think?

What does her weight have to do with anything?

Remember the old legal maxim - "When the law is against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you, argue the law. When the facts and the law are against you, call the other side names.".

Back
Top Bottom