• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Above all, I am a Liberal

fair minded

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The foundation of Liberalism is the idea that "I might not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
That is the one idea that all real liberals accept fully.

Rational people believe that if their beliefs are valid, their beliefs can withstand vigorous debate.

If you are smarter than I am, and better educated, and if your belief is valid, why would you be terrified of debating me?

Why would you shout a speaker off of the stage instead of listening to his argument, and then giving a solid argument against his idea?

People who are afraid to allow Donald Trump to speak, are admitting that either Trump has a better idea, or that Trump is so much more intelligent as to be able to win a debate in which he is wrong.

I personally want to hear whatever ideas anyone has. Hearing their ideas is the only I can then rationally prove them wrong.

I am conservative on some things because rational thought pushes me in that direction. I am more progressive on some things because rational thought ushes me in that direction.
I would embrace Communism if there were any evidence that it could work in the real world.

Most importantly, I can see some value in both sides of nearly every one of our major political differences. I could debate either side of most of them.

People who are afraid of free speech must not have much confidence in their ability to think rationally.Ratuikkkk

I don't think it is about people being afraid to let Trump speak.
We all heard him speak, in fact, some have heard him speak for DECADES, long before he got on reality TV.
We all got to hear him speak and watch him ACT for four years as POTUS.

His words and actions represent gross intolerance and a hatred of democracy and the rule of law.
He has said OPENLY that he despises both innumerable times in countless different ways.

A majority of his supporters even think he hasn't done enough to dismantle democracy and the rule of law and they want
him to do even more.
This is what compels me to think of Karl Popper, who is known for pointing out that allowing the INTOLERANT to use the tools of tolerance results in the
intolerant destroying tolerance AND democracy in the end.
Ergo, tolerant people are NOT obligated to tolerate the INTOLERANT.

that idea is utterly preposterous and impractical. In the marketplace of ideas, the dreamy grandeur visions of society will always be more appealing to people than a calm, rational approach to things

The foundation of Liberalism is the idea that "I might not agree with what you are saying, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Rational people believe that if their beliefs are valid, their beliefs can withstand vigorous debate.

If you are smarter than I am, and better educated, and if your belief is valid, why would you be terrified of debating me?

Why would you shout a speaker off of the stage instead of listening to his argument, and then giving a solid argument against his idea?

People who are afraid to allow Donald Trump to speak, are admitting that either Trump has a better idea, or that Trump is so much more intelligent as to be able to win a debate in which he is wrong.

I personally want to hear whatever ideas anyone has. Hearing their ideas is the only I can then rationally prove them wrong.

I am conservative on some things because rational thought pushes me in that direction. I am more progressive on some things because rational thought ushes me in that direction.
I would embrace Communism if there were any evidence that it could work in the real world.

Most importantly, I can see some value in both sides of nearly every one of our major political differences. I could debate either side of most of them.

People who are afraid of free speech must not have much confidence in their ability to think rationally.Ratuikkkk
Well said.

We all heard him speak, in fact, some have heard him speak for DECADES, long before he got on reality TV.

His words and actions represent gross intolerance and a hatred of democracy and the rule of law.
He has said OPENLY that he despises both innumerable times in countless different ways.

A majority of his supporters even think he hasn't done enough to dismantle democracy and the rule of law and they want
him to do even more.
This is what compels me to think of Karl Popper, who is known for pointing out that allowing the INTOLERANT to use the tools of tolerance results in the
Not to mention not having to tolerate blatant lies in a debate. People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts. Debating with liars is a futile endeavor.

Fair Minded, you are very well-named. :)

him to do even more.
You really have NO IDEA about democracy, nor do most of your cohort; you think it means a big powerful central government passing out goodies to the people in return for their unquestioning obedience. . Biden enacted more repressive and grossly ignorant actions on his first day than Trump ever did.

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a lib/progressive simply because the Democrats have passed many bills that help the populace. Woman's Suffrage, Social Security, clean water act, Civil Rights act,
Abortion rights, Patient protection and the affordable care act plus many, many more.

You really have NO IDEA about democracy, nor do most of your cohort; you think it means a big powerful central government passing out goodies to the people in return for their unquestioning obedience. . Biden enacted more repressive and grossly ignorant actions on his first day than Trump ever did.
LOL Trump tried to overturn an election. There is nothing more repressive than that in a democracy.

When I got up today, I didn't need tweetyists to tell me what liberalism is or isn't. I still don't, and it's almost nighttime.

LOL Trump tried to overturn an election. There is nothing more repressive than that in a democracy.
Yes there is: an election bough with hundreds of millions of dollars from mega rich liberals. 2022 for instance.

There is a difference between being afraid of free speech and objecting to giving public platforms to people who lie.

Not to mention not having to tolerate blatant lies in a debate. People are entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts. Debating with liars is a futile endeavor.

They haven't worked for you, that's for sure.

Sorry Jay - it's well documented. Zuckerberg, himself spent over $400 million; and it wasn't on yard signs and bumper stickers.
No, it's not well-documented.

It's just another example of you falling victim to misinformation, and then spreading it as if it were truth.

You hit the nail on the head.

In 2022, there are very few "real liberals" left.

Many so-called "liberals" are wokesters, who will scream at you to shut up if you do not agree with them.

Because of the upcoming Congressional elections, however, some wokesters are shaking in their boots, so even some .of them are now supporting funding the police!!!

As you young people say, laughing my [posterior] off!

Are you SERIOUS?

Nope, it's just another example of me reporting facts and you refusing to accept facts.
Rich liberals "bought" the election for Biden? That's your claim, huh? Then post the proof and make sure there's an actual crime involved, or I don't want to hear it.

Curious. If you are woke are you a real liberal?

Sorry Jay - it's well documented. Zuckerberg, himself spent over $400 million; and it wasn't on yard signs and bumper stickers.
Your problem is you believe every lie the one term mistake makes....More of that money went to REPUBLICAN districts than Democrats.

Trump appeared to be referring to the $400 million that Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, donated to local election offices last year.
The money was to help the offices adapt to changes in voting patterns that resulted from the pandemic.
It was spent on items such as personal protective equipment, including masks and gloves, and equipment to process mail ballots, the Associated Press reported.
There is no evidence that Zuckerberg's donations were criminal or even partisan, but Trump's comments echoed wider Republican fury at the move.
A spokesperson for the Chan Zuckerberg family office told Insider: "When our nation's election infrastructure faced unprecedented challenges last year due to the pandemic and the federal government failed to provide adequate funds, Mark and Priscilla provided funding to two non-partisan organizations that helped cities and states ensure that residents could vote regardless of their party or preference."

The spokesperson added: "Nearly 2,500 election jurisdictions from 49 states applied for and received funds, including urban, suburban, rural, and exurban counties [...] and more Republican than Democratic jurisdictions applied for and received the funds."

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-attacked-mark-zuckerberg-angry-102736395.html

Your problem is you believe every lie the one term mistake makes....More of that money went to REPUBLICAN districts than Democrats
Trump appeared to be referring to the $400 million that Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, donated to local election offices last year.
The money was to help the offices adapt to changes in voting patterns that resulted from the pandemic.
It was spent on items such as personal protective equipment, including masks and gloves, and equipment to process mail ballots, the Associated Press reported.
There is no evidence that Zuckerberg's donations were criminal or even partisan, but Trump's comments echoed wider Republican fury at the move.
A spokesperson for the Chan Zuckerberg family office told Insider: "When our nation's election infrastructure faced unprecedented challenges last year due to the pandemic and the federal government failed to provide adequate funds, Mark and Priscilla provided funding to two non-partisan organizations that helped cities and states ensure that residents could vote regardless of their party or preference."

The spokesperson added: "Nearly 2,500 election jurisdictions from 49 states applied for and received funds, including urban, suburban, rural, and exurban counties [...] and more Republican than Democratic jurisdictions applied for and received the funds."

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-attacked-mark-zuckerberg-angry-102736395.html
However, the huge percentage of those funds went to Democratic districts in battleground states.

Not really------some shout him down to prevent morons from being influenced by him, and we have millions of them out there....

Good post.

Back
Top Bottom