• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

About the Military

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Yeah thats right. This liberal kook, semi-pacifist, anti-iraq war dude is considering joining the military.

I suppose this is because I don't want to be a hypocrite. I'm still against the Iraq war but I feel that how can I possibly be against a war but then I've never been in the military before.

I know its kinda hard to understand. I've always wanted to be a writer. In fact, my dream is to become a published author when I get out of school. Joining something that could endanger me could threaten my dream but I dunno. I just feel as if I need to have some kind of experience where my life is in danger.

I'm still not sure. I mean I know its a long way off but its been bugging me recently. I mean I don't want to die and I certainly don't want to die for something I don't believe in but I still feel for some reason that I need this experience.

I just don't really want to be a hypocrite. How can I possibly live in this country but never bother to lift a figner when others are endangered? Anyone have any advice for me?

Last edited:
I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle...

Don't join if the only reason is to "pad your mental resume"...It isn't quite hypocritical(although it can be) to talk of some things you've never experienced.

There are managers of sports teams that never made it past the minors...How many announcers are there that never played the game?...Journalists who never went to Writing school...There are tons of CEOs who never went to college...Since when did Billy Joel work in Allentown"?

That doesn't mean they did it the right way...It was just the right way for THEM...

I'm not trying to persuade you from going at all...I want to make sure you're thinking about going for the right reasons...

There are people out there with the mental makeup to be a great officer but lack the physical abilities; there are those who have vice-versa...Does that make those people any less patriotic for NOT joining the military?...Of course not...Are there some people more patriotic and willing to do their duty for their country in other ways than maybe some in the military right now?...You betchya.

It is purely your choice and one not to be taken lightly. Those willing to condemn you if you don't join or those who are willing to condemn you if you do are equally near-sighted and are thinking more of their own stance and not yours...

That decision is yours and yours alone...best of luck whatever your choice.:2wave:

FinnMacCool said:
Yeah thats right. This liberal kook, semi-pacifist, anti-iraq war dude is considering joining the military.

I suppose this is because I don't want to be a hypocrite. I'm still against the Iraq war but I feel that how can I possibly be against a war but then I've never been in the military before.

I know its kinda hard to understand. I've always wanted to be a writer. In fact, my dream is to become a published author when I get out of school. Joining something that could endanger me could threaten my dream but I dunno. I just feel as if I need to have some kind of experience where my life is in danger.

I'm still not sure. I mean I know its a long way off but its been bugging me recently. I mean I don't want to die and I certainly don't want to die for something I don't believe in but I still feel for some reason that I need this experience.

I just don't really want to be a hypocrite. How can I possibly live in this country but never bother to lift a figner when others are endangered? Anyone have any advice for me?

Actually bro, very nice and patriotic points.

But..dig this. You got to do what the man tells you.

No, I mean do.

DO.

NOW.

No buts.

NOW.

You haven't done it yet?

Then it's not for you.

Trust me.

It's not for you.

In the service your only talent is the talent they tell you that you have.

Don't do it.

You can serve your country just as well outside the service AND get to to question what they do.

You're not that guy.

You'll thank me later.

BTW. I joined when I was 17.

I was a great soldier.

I know.

If you do, score well on the first test. If you don't have your pick of jobs.....run.

If you take the test, come back and talk to me.

I'll tell you how fuc*ked you are. Straight up.

Don't sign nutin until you talk to me.

You won't like what I have to say.

I might be a dick but I'll be damned if I let some punk waste years of his life.

Show this to your ma.

And Gunny.

Sweet dreams.

while joining the military is nobel, doing it for the wrong reasons would be a mistake. dont do it just because you feel some kind of obligation. but if you enlisted i doubt you'd regret it. serving is an experience that will change you for the better and it always looks good on a resume too. i was enlisted with the Air Force at one time but because of medical stuff i was never able to ship out. i love what im doing right now, i knew id become a firefighter regardless, but i still wish i could have had an opportunity to serve at least four years.

Last edited:
FinnMacCool said:

Don't worry. That doesn't make you a hypocrite.

FinnMacCool said:

Having your life endngered is over-rated. I've had a gun pointed at me, not something that I want to experience again, and not something that I think was a worthwhile experience. I've felt my life to be endanged walking in the wrong part of DC, I've lived in areas where my house has been shot and broken into. None of these are experiences that I think were life-expanding.

FinnMacCool said:

There are other ways to get life experience. Just living life will do that. When you can, move to an entirely new area. Work different jobs. Especially jobs that you don't really see yourself doing.

FinnMacCool said:
I just don't really want to be a hypocrite. How can I possibly live in this country but never bother to lift a figner when others are endangered?

Following your heart, and trying to make the country, and the world, better is also a way to help out. Don't feel that the military is the only way.

FinnMacCool said:
Anyone have any advice for me?

Now, having said all that, I personally think that the military is something that most people can benefit from.

Look closely at your reasons for wanting to join. You have to decide if the reasons are valid. What are valid reasons for one person may not be valid for another. It may be one of the first real decisions that you will make entirely for yourself. It isn't one that someone else can make for you.

Another thing to remember, you don't have to join as soon as you get out of school. I think you can join until you're 34. So, there's time to make your decision.

FiremanRyan said:
while joining the military is nobel, doing it for the wrong reasons would be a mistake. dont do it just because you feel some kind of obligation. but if you enlisted i doubt you'd regret it. serving is an experience that will change you for the better and it always looks good on a resume too. i was enlisted with the Air Force at one time but because of medical stuff i was never able to ship out. i love what im doing right now, i knew id become a firefighter regardless, but i still wish i could have had an opportunity to serve at least four years.

O man, I actually agree with a Republican. No, but anyway, joining the military and protecting the freedoms our very Constitution stand for is a very noble cause indeed. But, you do not want to join for ficticious reasons. If you don't believe in the validity of this war, don't join, it's that simple.

Anyone have any advice for me?

1.Consider only a two or three year contract.After all you may decide that the military is not a career for you and a three years contract is not as bad as six year contract.They can still call you back after you get out until after the 8 year term of your contract.
2.Also get a MOS that is equavilant to a good civilian job just in case the military does not work out for you.
3.dump your girlfriend, basic training will be easier if you do not have a grilfriend to worry about cheating on you.
4.Study for your asvab,the higher the score the more job options you have avaliable in the military,not all jobs in the military involve you putting a bullet into someone's head.
5.Make the decision where you want to to be stationed at,not all places equal.
6.make sure everything you want such as bonuses, duty stations,MOS and other things you want or that they promised you are in writing and in your contract before signing your name on the dotted line.Make copies of your contract.
7.take care of all finiancial matters before you go to basic.
8.If you hate the cold do not enlist now or just get delayed entry.Basic traning sucks in weather you do not like.
9.Recruiters are like used car salesmen so you have to play hardball to get what you
want.

Last edited:
But, you do not want to join for ficticious reasons. If you don't believe in the validity of this war, don't join, it's that simple.

Not all jobs in the military involve blowing something up or putting a bullet into someone's head as most liberals would have you beleave.You can if you wish join the military just to take pictures,be a work on medical equipment,and many other noncombat jobs.

jamesrage said:
Not all jobs in the military involve blowing something up or putting a bullet into someone's head as most liberals would have you beleave.You can if you wish join the military just to take pictures,be a work on medical equipment,and many other noncombat jobs.

very true. if youre going to join for those reasons, i wouldnt choose to serve in the Marine Corps or Army because more than likely you'll end up in Iraq. you seem like a smart kid, if you score high on your ASVAB you could do some badass jobs in the Air Force or Coast Guard and will never leave the country.

Going in as an enlisted person? Bear this in mind, the Air Force is the only service where the enlisted ranks prepare the officer to go fight, and possibly die.
You won't get good schools on a short enlistment. Back in my Navy days, you could get an "A" school up to about 9 months long, and a full year long Nuclear Power school for only a 6 year obligation. Now the "A" school is longer and you have to give them 6 years for that alone. I think it is 8 years now to get Nuclear Power School, maybe longer, and if you do that, they try to give you a short version of the "A" school.
Your local recruiter can give you the details.
Don't sign the contract until all that they promise you is written down on the contract. Be just as careful as if you were buying a used car from one of the little lots you find in the bad side of town.
Navy has great technical schools, followed by Air Force. Coast Guard is nice, but you have to be over 6 ft. tall so you can wade to shore in case your boat sinks.:lol:
What are you considering for a profession while in the military. They do have journalists, but they may have all they need, and might promise you that during your recruiting phase, and try to make changes later. Again, be careful. They can do pretty much what they want to you while you are in.

The best MOS's won't allow for that.

Are you kidding?You can get 11B on a two to three year contract.

Back
Top Bottom