• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

About the ignore function

Status
Not open for further replies.

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Is there any way to implement "ignore" so that ignores upstairs and in the basement are mutually exclusive? I actually have a couple people on ignore upstairs that I get along with pretty good with, and have fun with, in the basement. I have also noticed that a lot of people act very much differently in the basement than they do upstairs, and that you might want to interact with someone downstairs that you ignore upstairs.

Not sure this can actually be done. Just a thought I had.

I have a question concerning the ignore function. Can one still receive a PM from someone who you have on ignore ?

For example, if I were to put all of the mods on ignore, would I still be able to receive a PM from a mod that I was receiving a warning or being infracted ?

Personally I look at the ignore function nothing more than censorship. That's why I would never use the ignore function. I believe in the First Amendment and there's no place for censorship on a political forum. I can handle the few trolls on this forum and the cyber stalkers.

I have a question concerning the ignore function. Can one still receive a PM from someone who you have on ignore ?

Dunno about this.

For example, if I were to put all of the mods on ignore, would I still be able to receive a PM from a mod that I was receiving a warning or being infracted ?

You cannot put mods on ignore.

Personally I look at the ignore function nothing more than censorship. That's why I would never use the ignore function. I believe in the First Amendment and there's no place for censorship on a political forum. I can handle the few trolls on this forum and the cyber stalkers.

The ignore function has nothing to do with the first amendment...

From experience that created a very unfortunate situation, no you can not.

If you want to get all political on it, allowing INDIVIDUAL users to CHOOSE who they want to ignore would be more along the lines of allowing them the freedom to associate with who they want on the forum. There's nothing anti-first amendment about an INDIVIDUAL choosing to "censor" themselves from certain things.

The only person I've ever put on Ignore never posted again.

It really works well!!!!

I have the sense that she Rumplestilskinned herself into the ground and is in China somewhere.

Thanks DP!!

I sort of agree. It seems to me any situation where it would be appropriate to use the ignore function is already covered by moderating.

Ignore has nothing to do with the first Amendment. It is a tool that can be used so that you don't have to put up with trolls. And trolling isn't using the first amendment.

Example: You have 2 soap boxes in the street. One man is standing on one, giving a speech about taxes. The man standing on the other soap box is calling the first man a poopy head, and insulting his mother, instead of giving a proper argument against his speech on taxes. Tell me where the first amendment applies here. LOL.

Last edited:
Ignore has nothing to do with the first Amendment. It is a tool that can be used so that you don't have to put up with trolls. And trolling isn't using the first amendment.

Example: You have 2 soap boxes in the street. One man is standing on one, giving a speech about taxes. The man standing on the other soap box is calling the first man a poopy head, and insulting his mother, instead of giving a proper argument against his speech on taxes. Tell me where the first amendment applies here. LOL.

By actually using the ignore function, you haven't silenced the troll, all you have done removed yourself from the area so you don't hear him. Everyone else can except you. You're still able to hear everyones response to the troll.

Twelve or so years ago on another forum I was curious how the ignore function worked. All it does is that you can't see any post made by the person who you have on ignore. You still can see other peoples responses to the person you have on ignore and you end up getting curious what they are responding too.

What would be affective, if the person who was put on ignore knew he or she was put on ignore. I haven't used the ignore function on this forum but I would think they are like the ignore function's that has been around for many years and you have no knowledge if someone put you on ignore.

I think Unitedwestand has me on ignore. ;- )

By actually using the ignore function, you haven't silenced the troll, all you have done removed yourself from the area so you don't hear him. Everyone else can except you. You're still able to hear everyones response to the troll.

Twelve or so years ago on another forum I was curious how the ignore function worked. All it does is that you can't see any post made by the person who you have on ignore. You still can see other peoples responses to the person you have on ignore and you end up getting curious what they are responding too.

What would be affective, if the person who was put on ignore knew he or she was put on ignore. I haven't used the ignore function on this forum but I would think they are like the ignore function's that has been around for many years and you have no knowledge if someone put you on ignore.

I think Unitedwestand has me on ignore. ;- )

I really don't give a damn if everybody else can see what the troll posts. When I put someone on ignore, it's because I do not want to waste my time with him.

I really don't give a damn if everybody else can see what the troll posts. When I put someone on ignore, it's because I do not want to waste my time with him.

Who is this troll you speak of ?

PM me and maybe I'll give him a thrill and give him a nibble. Trolls get all excited when there is a nibble, but when they don't get a chance to set the hook, it's a big blow to their ego.

There's one animal lower than a troll, a stalker. If the forum staff refuses to deal with a stalker, there's no choice but to put it on ignore.

Ignore is sitewide and cannot be restricted to certain parts of the forum, sorry.

Moderator's Warning:
Question asked and answered. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom