• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

About me.

Unolewaya

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I think many people are willing to make posts designed to cause discord and confusion.

I am 65 years old and have been involved in First Nations civil rights issues for over forty years.

I am well aware that there are many problems with the US government. I like many others have ideas on how those problems can be fixed.

I should also say that while there are problems, the problems we have are more often created by people who have little idea how the constitution is designed to work.

I believe that education is the best means of correcting these problems.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I think many people are willing to make posts designed to cause discord and confusion.

I am 65 years old and have been involved in First Nations civil rights issues for over forty years.

I am well aware that there are many problems with the US government. I like many others have ideas on how those problems can be fixed.

I should also say that while there are problems, the problems we have are more often created by people who have little idea how the constitution is designed to work.

I couldn’t agree more. I read a lot of snarky stuff on these kind of forums. Most of what I read is very opinionated and ignorant. When I respond with facts and rationale I don’t get much back. I feel like I’m wasting my time...

Education is a great idea, I took a course on constitutional law in college. Most people here have no idea how it works.

You said "First Nations". Are you in Canada?

Perhaps you can take the time to educate us then?

1) First nation....?

2) How was the constitution designed to work?

1) First nation....?

1) I too am a descendant of Indigenous Peoples of the United States, the term First Nation is mainly used in Canada however, there are a number of tribes that would rather use the term Indigenous in referring to their longevity in the country. The tribe I belong to has been residents of North America dating back about 8,000 years, so I guess this would classify them as First Nation Peoples.

2) The Constitution is a compact or contract created by the original 13 States to create a centralized government to mainly deal with the external issues of a country, foreign trade, foreign policy, peace and war, it is also to protect the people rights, property and liberty. We can understand the framers mind set in creating this contract by looking at one of our founding documents, the Declaration of Independence where it is states why government are created among men. The Constitution as written spells out how the central government would operate and the powers delegated to it's operation. That this government is operated by the people for the people, there are checks and balances written into this document to prevent tyranny by the government and also provisions set into it to allow the people to modify this contract when needed. That is how the Constitution is designed to work in a nut shell.

This kind of looks like an introduction thread.

Lol, I am not sure that I could educate anyone, but I can give my ideas.

I agree with jet, but would add a bit to it. The term First Nations was originally used by Canadian Nations. However in the 80's many of the Nation's on the US side of the border.

Each Nation uses the term that they feel comfortable with. As do many individuals. I am not sure there is a right way or wrong way if the term is is used with basic respect of individuals.

The Constitution is considered to be a living document. This would in my opinion mean it could be altered at will. I believe that it is carved in stone and can only be altered with the approval of the people.

Of the people for the people and by the people, to defines the intention of the constitution.

It was not designed to protect the central government nor the states as the articles of Confederation were.

The second constitution was created in order to strengthen individual rights over those of government.

The protection of individual rights insures the rights of the collective.

The primary exclusion of individual rights is the point where the rights of one individual would violate the rights of another individual or group of individuals.

The idea of this degree of liberty can only be truly perceived by those who have experienced it I believe.

The 9th and 10th amendments expand rights not enumerated to the point that individual rights reserved by the People have far greater implications than most people would imagine.

So as I see it, the function of the constitution is to secure the rights of the people collectively even against encroachment by our own federal,state and local governments.

1) First nation....?

I couldn’t agree more. I read a lot of snarky stuff on these kind of forums. Most of what I read is very opinionated and ignorant. When I respond with facts and rationale I don’t get much back. I feel like I’m wasting my time...
It is never a waste to present facts.
You never know when the facts may make a difference for someone else even if you don't know about it.

I believe an introduction thread would be good. Please feel free to use this thread as such.

No, what I mean is that there's actually an introduction sub-forum here, and there doesn't seem to be an actual subject to this thread other than you, your credentials, and the vague assertion that the purpose of the Constitution is widely misunderstood. Normally an opening post presents an idea or an arguement to discuss. It would make more sense to me if you had come in with a post about how think that people misinterpret the Constitution, rather it being a vague, one-off line.

No, what I mean is that there's actually an introduction sub-forum here, and there doesn't seem to be an actual subject to this thread other than you, your credentials, and the vague assertion that the purpose of the Constitution is widely misunderstood. Normally an opening post presents an idea or an arguement to discuss. It would make more sense to me if you had come in with a post about how think that people misinterpret the Constitution, rather it being a vague, one-off line.
Ahh I see, we'll pardon me. I am a new member here and an old fart still figuring out how this tiny little keyboard on this cheap phone works.

If you are a form moderator please feel free to move my thread to a more appropriate place.

If you are not, I guess it is stuck where it is.

Ahh I see, we'll pardon me. I am a new member here and an old fart still figuring out how this tiny little keyboard on this cheap phone works.

If you are a form moderator please feel free to move my thread to a more appropriate place.

If you are not, I guess it is stuck where it is.

I'm not a moderator. In fact, I shouldn't even have approached you with this.

When I first started posting on web-forums in the early 2000's, the oldest person I ever ran into was twenty-six. Then again, those were gaming forums. I'm a bit older now, and I think that so is the Internet. There are actually a lot of folks here your age, this being a pretty diverse forum, so you should feel right at home.

If you're new to forum-posting, I feel that I should warn you that they're ussually cess-pools of pseudo-intellectual posturing. I guess mostly because of the illusion of anonymity, people can be real dicks to each other sometimes, and I think people get too caught up in one-upping each other. You'll run into some great people, but others will behave as if they've 'won' before a debate on a subject takes place. Others might actually have the arrogance to forget themselves and behave as if they were a mod.

I'm not a moderator. In fact, I shouldn't even have approached you with this.

When I first started posting on web-forums in the early 2000's, the oldest person I ever ran into was twenty-six. Then again, those were gaming forums. I'm a bit older now, and I think that so is the Internet. There are actually a lot of folks here your age, this being a pretty diverse forum, so you should feel right at home.

If you're new to forum-posting, I feel that I should warn you that they're ussually cess-pools of pseudo-intellectual posturing. I guess mostly because of the illusion of anonymity, people can be real dicks to each other sometimes, and I think people get too caught up in one-upping each other. You'll run into some great people, but others will behave as if they've 'won' before a debate on a subject takes place. Others might actually have the arrogance to forget themselves and behave as if they were a mod.
I'm certainly more used to gaming forums. Lol I play several war game's with some other veterans.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you about the way some people act in forums like this.

On the contrary, if you believe that I post something inappropriate, do say something. One thing that I learned 50 years ago at least. I screw up too. Lol

I am better as an orator than with writing. Regardless, I am not one of those folks who can be criticized as long as it is done respectfully.

You were polite in what you said and I agree with you. I actually did look for an introduction topic.

Lol I probably got lazy after trying to fit this tiny screen into one of my trifocul lines.

At any rate it is a pleasure to make your aquaintance. I look forward to reading your posts.

Lol, I am not sure that I could educate anyone, but I can give my ideas.

I agree with jet, but would add a bit to it. The term First Nations was originally used by Canadian Nations. However in the 80's many of the Nation's on the US side of the border.

Each Nation uses the term that they feel comfortable with. As do many individuals. I am not sure there is a right way or wrong way if the term is is used with basic respect of individuals.

The Constitution is considered to be a living document. This would in my opinion mean it could be altered at will. I believe that it is carved in stone and can only be altered with the approval of the people.

Of the people for the people and by the people, to defines the intention of the constitution.

It was not designed to protect the central government nor the states as the articles of Confederation were.

The second constitution was created in order to strengthen individual rights over those of government.

The protection of individual rights insures the rights of the collective.

The primary exclusion of individual rights is the point where the rights of one individual would violate the rights of another individual or group of individuals.

The idea of this degree of liberty can only be truly perceived by those who have experienced it I believe.

The 9th and 10th amendments expand rights not enumerated to the point that individual rights reserved by the People have far greater implications than most people would imagine.

So as I see it, the function of the constitution is to secure the rights of the people collectively even against encroachment by our own federal,state and local governments.

I'm sorry, but before I go on, can you tell me what I said that you agree with? Was it on another thread somewhere perhaps?

Unolewaya:

First welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time and debates here.

Second, I agree with you that education is a great way to fix social and societal problems so long as the education system does not become a machine for indoctrination and social engineering. So I have several questions for you:

1) What in your opinion are the three most urgent issues which need fixing in America?

2) How can education help to fix each of these three top issues?

3) What educational content and skills should be taught to fix these three issues and at what level of education should the learning/teaching be started and completed?

4) What methodology would be best for the teaching of each issue and how would you recommend this education be applied by students to these three real life and urgent problems?

5) What are the obstacles and pitfalls of the chosen strategies for education concerning the three issues which you opt for and what are their prospects for success?

I am looking forward to reading your views on the role of education in shaping a society, for better or for worse.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

PS If you don't want to clutter up this thread in answering my questions but still wish to do so, then may I suggest a trip to the Academic forum and the Education sub-forum for this debate?

Back
Top Bottom