• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

About GOP delegates votes

AndrewJakis

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
If a GOP candidate (Trump or whoever else) wins more than 1236 delegates before July GOP convention does it mean that he has secured for 100% his nomination ???

If a GOP candidate (Trump or whoever else) wins more than 1236 delegates before July GOP convention does it mean that he has secured for 100% his nomination ???

Yes, barring a total meltdown of faithless delegates, at which point their would no longer be a party.

Yes!

Edit: Well, barring a rules change the week before the convention meets when the rules committee meets. So technically 'no', but in reality 'yes'. There's no practical way to take it away from him in terms of political recourse.

Yes, barring a total meltdown of faithless delegates, at which point their would no longer be a party.
For the vast majority of delegates, faith has nothing to do with it; they're 'bound' on the first vote, and the GOP cannot accept any other vote from them, and will even mark their vote for them should they chose to not vote (or even not show-up, I believe).

For the vast majority of delegates, faith has nothing to do with it; they're 'bound' on the first vote, and the GOP cannot accept any other vote from them, and will even mark their vote for them should they chose to not vote (or even not show-up, I believe).

That's what delegates who don't vote their people's choice for candidate are called, "faithless delegates".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

I was wondering about the delegates whose candidate is no longer in the race, can they go any way they want?

I was wondering about the delegates whose candidate is no longer in the race, can they go any way they want?
Every state's delegates seem to be unique in this matter! :doh

Depends upon the state's rules. Some may, but AFAIK most must still vote for (in the first ballot) the candidate they are bound to, regardless if they've dropped out.

Depends upon the state's rules. Some may, but AFAIK most must still vote for (in the first ballot) the candidate they are bound to, regardless if they've dropped out.
Except apparently, for those unfaithful guys you found! ;)

Except apparently, for those unfaithful guys you found! ;)
I was wondering, it looks like Trump could come up short by just a few delegates.
I was looking at Cruz's numbers, he is almost statistically not going to make it to a plurality.

I was wondering, it looks like Trump could come up short by just a few delegates.
I was looking at Cruz's numbers, he is almost statistically not going to make it to a plurality.
My predicts:

1] Cruz will not have a plurality.

2] Trump will miss substantially - around 150 votes.

I see Trump in the 1K range, not getting past 1,100.

I see him losing Indiana, too.

Just based upon my vibes ...

Ok, then the convention shold be scrapped.

But, is that really so ??

Would the GOP still want to carry out with the convention even knowing that its purpose has been achieved before convention starts ??

Back
Top Bottom