• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abortions? not with my taxes

At worst you could say the relationship is symbiotic. A parasite is of a different species than the host. At least know your words....

Nope, parasite works better than symbiont. A symbiont gives benefits to the host while also living off the host. A fetus does not give any benefits to its hosts. As such it falls more along the lines of parasite. Also there are many different species of parasites. So your point is moot. There is nothing within the defination of parasite which limits it to specific species.

Yeah, but you are in the stands...

I am the clown in the ring dodging the bull. Jerry is the good looking rider that just lasted 8 Seconds... point being, we are in the game.

From your POV perhaps. While you might be the clown Jerries and my place has yet to be determined.

Nope, parasite works better than symbiont. A symbiont gives benefits to the host while also living off the host. A fetus does not give any benefits to its hosts. As such it falls more along the lines of parasite. Also there are many different species of parasites. So your point is moot. There is nothing within the defination of parasite which limits it to specific species.

Or you could take basic Freshman biology in highschool.

huh, really....

par·a·site   
[par-uh-sahyt] Show IPA
–noun
an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

huh, really....

par·a·site   
[par-uh-sahyt] Show IPA
–noun
an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

and where did you get this definition? I have already quoted the definition of parasite in this thread from mirriam-webster dictionary. That was not in it.

and where did you get this definition? I have already quoted the definition of parasite in this thread from mirriam-webster dictionary. That was not in it.

All the definitions from every source say the same. Even Mirriam-webster, though they've made it a bit cloudier (with their choice of wording) for those with no biology in their past.....

Last edited:
All the definitions from every source say the same. Even Mirriam-webster, though they've made it a bit cloudier (with their choice of wording) for those with no biology in their past.....

If they all said the same then how is it that yours includes something that is not in the one that I gave? And why won't you just post your source?

Edit note: BTW I would say that mirriam-webster is being inclusive since it gives obvious examples of one human being a parasite upon another.

Last edited:
If they all said the same then how is it that yours includes something that is not in the one that I gave? And why won't you just post your source?

M-W says a parasite is an organism living within another organism. Another organism is another species. It's poorly worded in M-W. Random House Dictionary, Collins English Dictionary, The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary, and the American Heritage Science dictionary...among many more...all clearly define that it is an organism living in an organism of a different species.

When you get to 9th grade biology, your teacher will make it clearer for you.

oh, yeah, and of course there's wikipedia.....

Last edited:
Yeah, but you are in the stands...

I am the clown in the ring dodging the bull. Jerry is the good looking rider that just lasted 8 Seconds... point being, we are in the game.

When it comes to pregnancy/childbirth, you're all spectators, not participants. Your understanding is limited. A fetus is parasitic, at the very least LIKE a parasite. A woman should not be forced to gestate a parasitic being, neither should she be forced to breast-feed one, however, no one has really suggested that a woman be forced to breast-feed.

When it comes to pregnancy/childbirth, you're all spectators, not participants. Your understanding is limited. A fetus is parasitic, at the very least LIKE a parasite. A woman should not be forced to gestate a parasitic being, neither should she be forced to breast-feed one, however, no one has really suggested that a woman be forced to breast-feed.

Your understanding, Grannie, is clouded by militant feminism. Biology, however, is easy to understand and a fetus is not a parasite.

Easily agreed since I am a guy and not a woman.

M-W says a parasite is an organism living within another organism. Another organism is another species. It's poorly worded in M-W. Random House Dictionary, Collins English Dictionary, The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary, and the American Heritage Science dictionary...among many more...all clearly define that it is an organism living in an organism of a different species.

When you get to 9th grade biology, your teacher will make it clearer for you.

oh, yeah, and of course there's wikipedia.....

From Collins English Dictionary

parasite

n

1. an animal or plant that lives in or on another from which it obtains nourishment,

2. a person who habitually lives at the expense of others, sponger,
`Parasite’ comes from Greek parasitos, meaning `someone who eats at someone else’s table’.

Greek para- beside + sitos grain

◇ adj parasitic

The closest that I could come to Stedmans medical dictionary is...

KMLE Medical dictionary

Which gave a link to here....

Stedmans Medical Dictionary (or so it claims...not really sure to be honest)

parasite (par-st)

An organism that lives on or in another and draws its nourishment therefrom.
In the case of a fetal inclusion or conjoined twins, the usually incomplete twin that derives its support from the more nearly normal autosite.
[G. parasitos, a guest, fr. para, beside, + sitos, food]

Afraid that I couldn't look up American Heritage Science Dictionary. Have to buy it in order to look at it. Same thing with Random House dictionary.

As far as wikipedia...not worth even looking up.

So the only ones that might support your position must be bought or is on a site which can be edited by anyone that feels like it. The other two which you mentioned obviously does not define parasite the way that you claimed.

Also please, enough with the barbs. I have not shot any at you. There is no need to resort to insults just because you don't agree with me.

Your understanding, Grannie, is clouded by militant feminism. Biology, however, is easy to understand and a fetus is not a parasite.

Whether or not a fetus is A parasite depends upon the definition, a fetus is, however, parasitic by definition.

define:parasitic - Google Search

of plants or persons; having the nature or habits of a parasite or leech

You're infertile, therefore you are a fellow spectator and your understanding is limited.

Last edited:
You're infertile, therefore you are a fellow spectator and your understanding is limited.

She could be one of those white trash grandmas the kind with a pregnant 13 year old daughter, and couple of 15 year old kids with their own kids.

From Collins English Dictionary

The closest that I could come to Stedmans medical dictionary is...

KMLE Medical dictionary

Which gave a link to here....

Stedmans Medical Dictionary (or so it claims...not really sure to be honest)

Afraid that I couldn't look up American Heritage Science Dictionary. Have to buy it in order to look at it. Same thing with Random House dictionary.

As far as wikipedia...not worth even looking up.

So the only ones that might support your position must be bought or is on a site which can be edited by anyone that feels like it. The other two which you mentioned obviously does not define parasite the way that you claimed.

Also please, enough with the barbs. I have not shot any at you. There is no need to resort to insults just because you don't agree with me.

The simple fact of the matter is that a parasite is an organism of one species present in the organism of another species. This does not apply to the fetus.

The simple fact of the matter is that a parasite is an organism of one species present in the organism of another species. This does not apply to the fetus.

Just saying it over and over does not make it any truer you know. One of the links that I gave from one of the sources that you said supported your definition (which it turned out it didn't) even gave an example of a parasite that is of the same species. IE conjoined twins.

I know it's hard to admit when one is wrong but when your own sources have not supported your view it is time to throw in the towel.

Even if I am currently a spectator, I am one who has played the game, and therefore retain a superior understanding.

Even if I am currently a spectator, I am one who has played the game, and therefore retain a superior understanding.

You don't have a superior understanding, you only have an understanding of your experience and you are no more qualified in that than are any of the rest of us. Get over it, not only women have valid opinions on this issue.

Just saying it over and over does not make it any truer you know. One of the links that I gave from one of the sources that you said supported your definition (which it turned out it didn't) even gave an example of a parasite that is of the same species. IE conjoined twins.

I know it's hard to admit when one is wrong but when your own sources have not supported your view it is time to throw in the towel.

My sources do indeed support my view. Beyond that, Biology 101 does. A "parasitic twin" is not a parasite.

Using the term "parasite" to describe a fetus is similar to saying that abortion is murder. It parses and equivocates definitions. It doesn't help your argument in any way. It's a fetus. Altering the definition doesn't change that fact.

Oh I see, you think the sources and links you'll have to give in an online setting will somehow magicaly say what you want them to say simply because you have moth-balled overies.

Well, give it a shot.

Medterms.com - defination of parasite

Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism. A parasite cannot live independently.

medical-dictionary.com

par·a·site (pr-st)
n.
1. An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
2. In conjoined twins, the usually incomplete twin that derives its support from the more nearly normal fetus.

medical.yourdictionary.com

par·a·site (părˈə-sītˌ)

noun
1.An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.
2.In conjoined twins, the usually incomplete twin that derives its support from the more nearly normal fetus.

medilexicon.com

parasite
Type: Term

Pronunciation: par′ă-sīt

Definitions:
1. An organism that lives on or in another and draws its nourishment therefrom.
2. In the case of a fetal inclusion or conjoined twins, the usually incomplete twin that derives its support from the more nearly normal autosite.

emedicinehealth.com

Parasite: An organism that lives in or on and takes its nourishment from another organism. A parasite cannot live independently.

Need I post more definitions? Note that they are all based off of medical terminology.

Back
Top Bottom