• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Abortion

Should abortion be legal?

• Yes

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
conserv.pat15 said:
I can't believe I actually have to explain this, but.... a human fetus is more valuable than the fetus of an animal because IT IS A HUMAN BEING!!!
certainly not for everybody. Your subjective view then certainly is not evidence. You are basically saying that human beings have value because they are human beings. That's not much of an explanation.

Humans come before animanls. I don't know about you, but I place the life of a human above the life of an animal. I don't know how else to say it...
And others may disagree. How is your subjective feeling evidence of anything other than your personal, subjective feeling? :confused:

Mixed View said:
Listen peoples say that there is this situations and there are two paths out of it. One way is a quick painless death to a human baby and the other is to a animal baby. What are you going to choose? Well heck, you better pick the baby. The reason humans are ahead of animals is simply because humans can reason, have opinions, contribute to society in positive ways. How does an animal make a difference in the world. Can it cure Aids or solve poverty. NO! That is why you place a human above an animal.
So human value is strictly a utilitarian one?

Mixed View said:
I believe you have forgotton one point that was posted earlier. If I am wrong and the fetus is not a human life and my belief that it is does not harm me, society, or anything, but say you are wrong and that a fetus is a human life, then guess what? You have then just supported the biggest act of genocide the world has ever seen. You have just become a mass murderer.
Why? "Human life" doesn't mean a person or an individual.

And as for harm, your view, if wrong, certainly end up harming women by enslaving them. Oh you forgot about her? Or did you never care about her to begin with as is so typical for pro-lifers?

conserv.pat15 said:
This already happens... it's called adoption. If it is such a burden for the mother to care for the child, why not put the child up for adoption? Not being able to care and support the child is a poor reason to abort a baby.
But then, no baby is ever aborted. That aside, it almost sounds like you didn't even think that going through a pregnancy is a big deal?

Then I can certainly much better understand your misogynistic disregard for her well-being.

U.S.Repub1 said:
Should abortion be legal?

Hell no,except to protect the mother's life.

conserv.pat15 said:
Not being able to care and support the child is a poor reason to abort a baby.

ROTFLMAO!

Say that again, please. :lol:

steen said:
Why? "Human life" doesn't mean a person or an individual.

And as for harm, your view, if wrong, certainly end up harming women by enslaving them. Oh you forgot about her? Or did you never care about her to begin with as is so typical for pro-lifers?

Listen, when the woman has sex and gets pregnant who is harming her? When she wants an abortion because she was lazy and irresponsible us pro-lifers turn into the bad guys because we're causing her harm? It was her choice to get pregnant, she is harming herself. You don't have to have an abortion if you don't have irresponsible sex. I believe in the woman's right to choose, ya to choose to have responsible safe sex or irresponsible sex. That is the real choice, not to decide to kill a possible human life or to let it live.

Mixed View said:
Listen, when the woman has sex and gets pregnant who is harming her? When she wants an abortion because she was lazy and irresponsible us pro-lifers turn into the bad guys because we're causing her harm? It was her choice to get pregnant, she is harming herself. You don't have to have an abortion if you don't have irresponsible sex. I believe in the woman's right to choose, ya to choose to have responsible safe sex or irresponsible sex. That is the real choice, not to decide to kill a possible human life or to let it live.

It was her choice to get pregnant? That's funny......if she WANTED to be pregnant, she most likely would not be having an abortion.

But of course, it's always the woman's fault. She should've kept her legs closed, right? It has nothing to do with the man not using a condom, or perhaps the condom broke, or maybe the woman was ok with an accidental pregnancy until the deadbeat decided he wasn't ready to be a daddy, and she couldn't even afford the doctor's bills that go along with pregnancy by herself.

Nah, it's always the woman's fault for being a slut, right? *shakes head*

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

I think it should be legal...but just tax abortion clinics like hell and that way make abortion more obsolete...and of course going through other reform policies to help prevent abortions.

That way it would still be legal, we'd get money, and would be more obsolete.

Mixed View said:
Listen, when the woman has sex and gets pregnant who is harming her?
The embryo or fetus using her bodily resources against her will.. And the pro-life slavers who seeks to oppress her and control her body against her will.

When she wants an abortion because she was lazy and irresponsible us pro-lifers turn into the bad guys because we're causing her harm?
When you get lung cancer because you are lazy and irresponsible with smoking, then I would be the bad guy if I tried to stop you from treatment of the lung cancer. So yes, that DOES make you the bad guys, oppressing and enslaving women.

It was her choice to get pregnant,
Not if she is seeking an abortion, your false claim none withstanding.

she is harming herself.
Nope. If she sees harm from the pregnancy, then it certainly is that pregnancy that is harming her.

You don't have to have an abortion if you don't have irresponsible sex.
And you don't have to have an abortion if you have responsible sex either, and you also CAN get an abortion in either case, so that is just irrelevant blabbering.

I believe in the woman's right to choose, ya to choose to have responsible safe sex or irresponsible sex.
Thanks for emphasizing that this is all about oppression and controlling the woman. Your misogynistic agenda is clear.

Vandeervecken you said, “Rights accrue at birth. A fetus is not born, and has no standing under the Constitution.
Even if one were to foolishly grant a fetus rights, it could not have rights that supersede the host.
Nobody has the right to life when it requires the body of an unwilling host to do so.”

So you are in favor for abortion up until the time of natural birth, 9 months?

Are you saying too that our Constitution should not include children in its definition of “equality for everyone with rights under the law” because they are not full persons so they shouldn’t qualify?

Kandahar said,” Those are meaningless moments that have nothing to do with a right to life. A pig has a beating heart and a functioning brain too.”

And other Peter Singer fan eh? For you to compare animals to humans is absurd. That is how pro-abortionists see life though. They have to justify in their minds that the thing they are killing is no more… than just an animal... A barnyard animal. You compare the unborns value to that of an animal so really there is no reason not to also compare the value of born people to animals, right? You murder a cow and you get life in prison with no hopes of parole? :rofl

Really what you’re saying is that its no worse to kill a human than it is an animal. That isn’t how our society views things. Society has always acted on the premise that human life is regarded more valuable than that of the nonhuman animal. It’s so sad that you who are pro-abortion do not feel that a human should be treated as humanely as an animal and that dismembering the unborn alive is perfectly fine.

That mentality of “life for a child begins when his mother wants him worldview or when 'he takes his first breath”….is so tragically sad.

You on the pro-death side can’t stomach the idea of a child being dismembered, so you go to great lengths to redefine what it means to be a person. The unborn in the womb then is nothing more than an animal to you, nothing better or more valuable than a non-human animal.

Conserv.pat15 said, “Are you serious?! Killing an animal and killing a human are two completely different things... If you can't see the difference, then I don't know what to tell you...”

:rofl You would think so wouldn’t ya? Welcome to the world of debating abortion. You need to come into the abortion debate site……..there are more and harsher views than this one. They think killing a non-human animal is just as bad. The non-human animal is the same as a human one. They all buy into Peter Singers philosophies and mentality. Most think abortion until the baby is delivered at 9 months is ok. Can you imagine that? They believe a fetus automoatically becomes a baby when it takes its first breath. GOD LUV YA

Kandahar said, “I majored in biology and minored in psychology, and let me tell you, there's no evidence of any consciousness in human beings until well after birth. And as far as I'm concerned, conciousness is the only basis for protecting human life because any other basis is either arbitrary or could easily apply to animals too.”

You are wrong. That is not what the medical community believes.

So you would think it alright to kill humans that were not conscience?
Visit these websites

http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment/20050112/DCW02512012005-1.html

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/inthewomb/preview.html

Watch this video.......... And you think it’s alright to abort until this child is born?

UNBELIEVABLE.

Kandahar said, “Because it's a parasite and requires the enslavement of a host. If you woke up strapped to a table, and a doctor told you that he was going to remove your kidney against your will because someone else needed it to survive, would you be OK with this? What if he told you that you'd be so sick from this that you'd be unable to continue your normal life for the next nine months, and furthermore there was a slight chance that you'd die during the procedure? How is that any different than forcing a woman to carry a child to term?”

Fist of all a baby is not an organ of a woman’s body. That is fact. The fetus is NOT A PART OF THE PREGNANT WOMANS BODY, LIKE TONSILS, and OR APPENDIX OR LIVER OR HEART. Every cell of the mothers tonsils, appendix, heart and liver etc.. shares the same genetic code. The unborn child also has a genetic code, DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT FROM HIS MOTHERS. Every cell of his body is uniquely his, each different than every other cell of his mothers body. Blood type might be different as is the sex of the child and the child has a different set of fingerprints that that of his mothers.

“It is a well-established fact that a genetically distinct human being is brought into existence at conception. Once fertilization takes place, the zygote is its OWN entity, genetically distinct from both the mother and the father. The newly conceived individual possesses all the necessary information for a self-directed development and will proceed to grow in the usual human fashion, given time and nourishment. It is simply untrue that the unborn child is merely a “part of the womans body.” In addition to being genetically distinct from the time of conception, the unborn possesses separate circulatory, nervous and endocrine systems.” (Landrum Shettles and David Rorvik, Rites of Life:The Scientific Evidence for Life Before Birth (Grand Rapids, Mich 1983)

It is a clear scientific fact that the mother is one distinctive and self-contained person and the child is another. Being inside something is NOT the same as being part of something. Ones body does not belong to another’s body merely because of proximity. Louise Brown the first test tube baby was conceived when sperm and egg joined in a Petri dish. She was no more part of her mothers body when placed there than she had been part of the Petri dish where her life began. A child is not part of the body in which she is carried.

I might add that this truth was affirmed in July 2000 by the U.S. House of Representatives when they unanimously passed a bill making it illegal to execute a pregnant woman. The logical reason for this decision is that a preborn child is an individual person, distinct from his mother and with his own separate right to life. Read the courts rulings for yourself.

Human beings should not be discriminated against because of their place of residence. I am sure you would think that premature baby lying in a hospital incubator deserves to live. Would the exact same baby deserve to live any less because she was still in her mother?

Dumb question I am sure you would say, no. :(

“The "morality" of our government is set forth in our Constitution. Our Constitution recognizes no rights prior to the birth of an individual. (See Amendment 14 Section 1) A fetus is not a human life under our Constitution, deal with it.”

Then why is it illegal to execute a woman if she is pregnant? If our Constitution doesn’t recognize the rights of the fetus……….then why not execute the woman?

Why is it illegal in some states for a pregnant woman to damage her fetus by taking drugs or alcohol?

VAndeer said,” Great minds think alike. Though it hardly takes a great mind to expose the nonsense of the religious zealots. ”

You mean sick minds? Any moron can see that abortion is the legal dismemberment of human children. One need not be religious to see this. But it is obvious that you hate those who do hold to a religious faith that it clouds your judgment. So much for tolerance of the LEFT.

Stace says, “Ok, first of all, the post you quoted was not directed at you. Secondly, that's only eight children, there's thousands more out there, and I'm not just talking about the kids that are in orphanages, I'm talking about children that are being abused, children thare are living in poverty and children that are homeless’

So only those who are pro-life should adopt….? What are you doing? You adopting? Don’t use the excuse your pregnant, you could do both couldn’t you?

Vandeer says, “No part of the Constitution gives the government the right to regulate what people do to their own bodies. Nothing gives them control of a person's sexual organs. Nothing gives them the right to grant rights to a fetus, when the Constitution makes it clear the earliest that rights can accrue is birth (Amendment 14 Section 1).”

Why is it that there are laws against partial birth abortions? If they do not deserve protection………..then why not make it legal to abort up until natural delivery?

Steen says, “"unborn children"??? Ah, you mean like "undead corpses"?”

Comments such as this are pathetic, sick, deranged…………inhumane……….what else can I say? But at least this is the first post you have ever made without references to your moles. :rofl

doughgirl said:
So only those who are pro-life should adopt….? What are you doing? You adopting? Don’t use the excuse your pregnant, you could do both couldn’t you?

Did I say ANYWHERE that only "pro life" people should adopt? NO. You really need to stop misinterpreting what I say, it's getting old.

What am I doing? I believe I already explained that.

Being pregnant is not an excuse for anything. But finances sure are. My husband and I are barely making ends meet as it is right now, we'll barely have the finances to afford this baby, though next year will be a lot easier on us.....we'd hardly have the resources required just for the adoption process, let alone to take care of another child. Not to mention, we live in a two bedroom townhome, but the second bedroom is used as a home office, and we have nowhere else to put this stuff.....the baby is going to have to sleep in our room as it is, we don't even have the room right now for another child and the associated furniture, clothing, toys, etc.

So no, I couldn't do both.

steen said:
Then you obviously need to think about how reasonable your arguments are.

A fetus is not a woman or a man. :roll:

"unborn children"??? Ah, you mean like "undead corpses"?

Are pro-lifers AT ALL able to make an argument without revisionist linguistic hyperbole?

There seems to be a discrepency between our mutual perception of reality. A fetus is either a male or a female... Why do you think the parents usually know the sex of the child before it is born? The fetus does have a gender before it is born... or do you think their gender is determined after birth???

Steen... can you tell me the exact amendment in the Constitution that gives a woman the RIGHT to an abortion? Just give me the number of the amendment...

conserv.pat15 said:
What is so funny about that?

Did you just finish 6th Grade or something?

vergiss said:
Did you just finish 6th Grade or something?

Care to explain your reason as to why it was funny... I said that it is a poor reason to abort a child just because the mother can't care for it or support it. What's funny about that?

conserv.pat15 said:
Care to explain your reason as to why it was funny... I said that it is a poor reason to abort a child just because the mother can't care for it or support it. What's funny about that?

...you seriously can't see it?!

No one in here, to my knowledge, is promoting abortions. It's just different way of looking at things. But we have to come down to the part that matters: How do we FIX the problem? I don't see why both parties come to a compromise that benefits everyone...are we really that thickheaded? I think the taxing and regulating solution is a viable comprise for both parties...

Hornburger said:
I think the taxing and regulating solution is a viable comprise for both parties...

Yeah, that's really going to bring about the social change necessary to reduce abortion rates. :neutral:

vergiss said:
Yeah, that's really going to bring about the social change necessary to reduce abortion rates. :neutral:
How would it not?

Hornburger said:
How would it not?

Because I can guarantee that it'd still be cheaper than it is to carry a pregnancy to term.

conserv.pat15 said:
There seems to be a discrepency between our mutual perception of reality. A fetus is either a male or a female...
But not a woman or a man. Perhaps you have some trouble with vocabulary, assuming that all words mean the same?

Back
Top Bottom