• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Abortion

Should abortion be legal?

• Yes

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Stace said:
How right you are....and it's so nice that you and I can agree on certain issues :mrgreen:

Yes indeed. Being a DeLaPazian I am quite liberal on most social issues frankly. Quite conservative on foreign policy and fiscal policy though.

Stace said:
why don't you do something to help the unwanted children that are already living and breathing first?

For your information our family has atopted one girl and found families for all 7 of the other kids, so how about you? What the heck have you done? Probably nothing and you just like to whine about unwanted kids and then do nothing about it. very sad

Can someone show me where in the Constitution a woman has the right to an abortion...

conserv.pat15 said:
Can someone show me where in the Constitution a woman has the right to an abortion...

Nowhere. What of it?

Kandahar said:
Nowhere. What of it?

So why do people always claim that the Constitution gives women the right to have an abortion?

Mixed View said:
For your information our family has atopted one girl and found families for all 7 of the other kids, so how about you? What the heck have you done? Probably nothing and you just like to whine about unwanted kids and then do nothing about it. very sad

Ok, first of all, the post you quoted was not directed at you. Secondly, that's only eight children, there's thousands more out there, and I'm not just talking about the kids that are in orphanages, I'm talking about children that are being abused, children thare are living in poverty and children that are homeless.

Me, what have I done? Well let's see here, I'm only 22 years old. I have volunteered with homeless shelters. I have donated thousands of dollars to organizations that help abused and poverty stricken children. I cannot adopt or foster any children, as money is rather tight right now, my husband and I probably wouldn't be accepted due to our age, and we're expecting our first child later this year.

I'm not sitting here "whining" about unwanted kids. I'm asking all of these people that are so concerned with fetuses in the womb what they're doing for the children in this world that have already been born, that need a lot more help than those fetuses. If I had to choose between saving one abused child or preventing 10 women from having abortions, I'd save the abused child any day of the week.

conserv.pat15 said:
So why do people always claim that the Constitution gives women the right to have an abortion?

Well, if you'd read some older posts on some of the other threads, it's all over the place.

conserv.pat15 said:

Because they don't know anything about the Constitution. What's your point? How does this suggest that abortion should be illegal?

Stace said:
Well, if you'd read some older posts on some of the other threads, it's all over the place.

Can you tell me what amendment specificly gives women the right to an abortion?

Kandahar said:
Because they don't know anything about the Constitution. What's your point? How does this suggest that abortion should be illegal?

So then why can't states make it illegal if they want to? Why does the Supreme Court say that states can't restrict abortion rights?

conserv.pat15 said:
So then why can't states make it illegal if they want to? Why does the Supreme Court say that states can't restrict abortion rights?

The states should be able to make it illegal if they want to. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so.

As for the SCOTUS, it makes rulings like that because it has at least eight activist judges who like to force their own policy beliefs on everyone else (and that's certainly not limited to the liberals).

conserv.pat15 said:
Can you tell me what amendment specificly gives women the right to an abortion?

I didn't say one did. I said that if you read through the threads on abortion, there are many Constitutional arguments and why that person feels whichever Amendment they're talking about provides justification for abortion.

Stace said:
I didn't say one did. I said that if you read through the threads on abortion, there are many Constitutional arguments and why that person feels whichever Amendment they're talking about provides justification for abortion.

Do YOU believe there is a right to an abortion in the Constitution?

conserv.pat15 said:
Do YOU believe there is a right to an abortion in the Constitution?

I don't think I've ever claimed that, but I'm also not a Constitutional scholar, nor am I a lawyer or a judge, therefore, it's not for my interpretation.

conserv.pat15 said:

Can you show where in the Constitution the government is given the power to regulate abortion?

Stace said:
I don't think I've ever claimed that, but I'm also not a Constitutional scholar, nor am I a lawyer or a judge, therefore, it's not for my interpretation.

That was a good dodge of the question.

Vandeervecken said:
Can you show where in the Constitution the government is given the power to regulate abortion?

My point is that there is no RIGHT to an abortion... meaning that if the government wanted to make it illegal, they can.

conserv.pat15 said:
That was a good dodge of the question.

Not really. I have no opinion either way as far as which Constitutional Amendment does or does not provide for the legality of abortion.

conserv.pat15 said:
My point is that there is no RIGHT to an abortion... meaning that if the government wanted to make it illegal, they can.

The federal government can do no such thing. States can do it if their constitutions allow it. But states have the power to do all kinds of stupid ****; that doesn't mean they SHOULD.

conserv.pat15 said:

You have it backward. The government only has legitimate authority over just those things it is given the power to control in the Constitution. Everything else is retained by the people. Once again see Amendments 9 and 10. They make it clear.

No part of the Constitution gives the government the right to regulate what people do to their own bodies. Nothing gives them control of a person's sexual organs. Nothing gives them the right to grant rights to a fetus, when the Constitution makes it clear the earliest that rights can accrue is birth (Amendment 14 Section 1).

conserv.pat15 said:
Are you serious?! Killing an animal and killing a human are two completely different things... If you can't see the difference, then I don't know what to tell you...
Then you obviously need to think about how reasonable your arguments are.

In regards to your questions... What about the body of the female baby that is being aborted? Why are you against protecting that females(or male) body?
A fetus is not a woman or a man. :roll:

As for your other question... It affects my life because I think unborn children are human beings and I am against aborting them.
"unborn children"??? Ah, you mean like "undead corpses"?

Are pro-lifers AT ALL able to make an argument without revisionist linguistic hyperbole?

conserv.pat15 said:
You liberals don't make sense... stop trying to compare the value of a human fetus vs. an animal fetus.
So because you are to ignorant to get it, we are at fault? What a conservative mentality you are exhibiting.

conserv.pat15 said:
Question... are you asking me to explain the difference between the value of a human fetus vs. the value of an animal fetus?
Well, the value is in the eye of the beholder. Thus, there is no absolute evidence per one value above the other. "Value" is a very subjective term.

Also, I believe that the life of the child should come before the womans want to choose to abort it.
But then, a child can't be aborted because it already is born, and thus abortions have nothing to do with children.

So could you please stay on topic here?

earthworm said:
All male bovine fecal matter.

That people use reasoning of this strangeness is beyond me...
I do not see how the Constitution enters into this.
Have people no morals anymore ??
Is civilization now going backward ??
Sanctity of life now has no menaning...
A shame that due to a low moral caliber of todays people, abortion will have to continue until man advances forward...

Primarily, man must learn to respect woman..
Now, that really wasn't anything other than a nonsense rant. Do you have anything meaningful rather than subjective and irrelevant to contribute, per chance?

Peralin said:
Here's the problem. Believe me, I'm all for the seperation of church and state. But this is NOT a "religious belief". It does not involve religion in any way. It is a belief about morality, what is right and what is wrong, it has nothing to do with God. Morality is deifferent from religion. The government should not choose a religion, but it should base its laws on what is right.
Well, that is good news. I feel conservatism is morally wrong, so I can outlaw it. hey, great method you got there. terribly against our Constitution, but no doubt you care nothing about that, do you?

And the possibility that millions of human beings have been killed in the womb for no reason is definitely more important than seperating religion from government.
"beings" When they have no independent function and existence, how can they count as a "being" any more than your kidney does, f.ex?

Morality is needed everywhere, religion is not needed at all.
And the morality of the pro-lifers seeking to enslave women is so disgusting as to absolutely be immoral. See how easy THAT is? :rofl

Back
Top Bottom