• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abortion

Yes, I know that there's a dedicated abortion forum, but that doesn't mean that we can't attack it from a slightly different tack, i.e. ethics.
As usual, the topic was first brought up in another thread, but it seemed like it needed its own thread. Here's the history:

At which point I asked if he thought that atheists didn't have ethics.

His reply:

And I then asked him these questions:
No, I'm not pro-abortion. I don't know anyone who is pro-abortion.
And even if I was, would that mean that all atheists are pro-abortion?
And are there any self-described religious people that are pro-choice? And if they are, does that mean that they don't have any moral or ethical values? And who assigned you as the person to make that determination?

I then added a couple of more questions:
Is a zygote a future human and is it unethical to end the pregnancy at that point Also: What are the ethics of bringing an unwanted child into the world?

His reply:

So basically he is saying that anyone who is "pro-abortion" is not moral/ethical and that most atheists are pro-abortion, ergo atheists are not ethical.

Your thoughts?
The ethical side on the abortion debate is to be pro-choice, since denying a living, breathing adult a viable option in favor of "protecting" something not even born is unethical.

This is the belief and skeptics forum...political forums are thataway...🔜🔜🔜
Sanctimony is very much a part of a "belief and skeptic forum" and you're over your head in it.

Slave wages is nothing at all. I don't support education costs. I voted against expensive healthcare. And I don't care about race so who the hell are you talking to?

You need to go live on a desert isle somewhere so that your Neanderthal attitudes are no danger to others.

Don't go away mad...just go away...
Of coure you'd have to misinterpret my disgust for your sanctimony as anger. Lying to yourself about what you are is key to that sanctimony. People whose whole life is based on lies to everyone else need lie to themselves that they're the pious and righteous ones.

Of coure you'd have to misinterpret my disgust for your sanctimony as anger. Lying to yourself about what you are is key to that sanctimony. People whose whole life is based on lies to everyone else need lie to themselves that they're the pious and righteous ones.
lol...in your dreams...

Abortion is indeed a very contentious issue, but it should nevertheless remain safe and legal and as few as possible for those women who do not want to bring an unwanted child into the world. I say it time and again: if a person is truly against abortion, then they should contribute to Planned Parenthood. There is no organization as good at providing birth control for those who might otherwise not have it due to economic circumstances than PP. the number of abortions that they thereby PREVENT is untold.

Unwanted child is not an excuse for killing a human being, give it up for adoption. This is what we've evolved into unfortunately, a place where defenseless human life is cheap as it has no voice yet.

No doubt, all aspects of our society are devolving. From the pollution ..to the crime rate ..to the politics.
We are decaying from the inside out.

The present president pretty much underlines that.

The ethical side on the abortion debate is to be pro-choice, since denying a living, breathing adult a viable option in favor of "protecting" something not even born is unethical.
The living and breathing adult should have controlled her sexual desires or whatever desire led her to have sexual intercourse without accepting the possible consequences.

The living and breathing adult should have controlled her sexual desires or whatever desire led her to have sexual intercourse without accepting the possible consequences.
Does rape not exist in your world? What about incest? What about simply not wanting another child or any child at all actually but still enjoying sex?

Yes, I know that there's a dedicated abortion forum, but that doesn't mean that we can't attack it from a slightly different tack, i.e. ethics. As usual, the topic was first brought up in another thread, but it seemed like it needed its own thread.
What are the ethics of bringing an unwanted child into the world?
Your thoughts?

There are many ethical issues with abortion and reproduction that need discussion. Unfortunately, pro-life advocates and leaders say, abortion is murder of a human being and refuse any further intelligent or meaningful discussion. It is my belief that when you refuse to discuss an issue you have a hidden agenda that you do not want revealed.

watsup said]
There are many ethical issues with abortion and reproduction that need discussion. Unfortunately, pro-life advocates and leaders say, abortion is murder of a human being and refuse any further intelligent or meaningful discussion. It is my belief that when you refuse to discuss an issue you have a hidden agenda that you do not want revealed.

Not born doesn't make it any less human and alive, this is what you fail to understand. Your political liberal perspective on abortion is disappointing ..science says otherwise when not payed off.. Its interesting if not unfortunate to see you pulling away from science for political reasons.

On this issue you come across as bit like Sherlock, instead of superstition you cling to politics as the truth ..your shift away from science is noted.

The scientific evidence, then, shows that the unborn is a living individual of the species Homo sapiens, the same kind of being as us, only at an earlier stage of development. Each of us was once a zygote, embryo, and fetus, just as we were once infants, toddlers, and adolescents.

watsup said]

Not born doesn't make it any less human and alive, this is what you fail to understand. Your political liberal perspective on abortion is disappointing ..science says otherwise when not payed off.. Its interesting if not unfortunate to see you pulling away from science for political reasons.

On this issue you come across as bit like Sherlock, instead of superstition you cling to politics as the truth ..your shift away from science is noted.

Weaver said that, not watsup.

watsup said]

An acorn is not an oak tree.
A zygote is not a fully developed human.
Both go through numerous phases in order to reach their end potential.
That is science.

More unwanted children helps society?

You need to take this concern of yours up with the persons who cause unwanted children. They are the problem, not the innocent children.

That still, small voice that says: He’s right!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watsup said]

Not my post, but I will respond anyway.
Just because a sperm unites with an egg does not give that “life” the “right” to become a fully developed human being. Anti-abortion extremists will even claim that the morning-after pill should be prohibited which is, of course, totally ridiculous.
And so given the stages of life from initial egg implantation to birth, the question then becomes at what point should that life become inviolable? The most accepted answer legally is at “viability”, the potential for the life to live basically on its own outside the womb.
Given that, I still prefer the least number of legal abortions possible, which is why I support the efforts of Planned Parenthood to provide birth control education and means to those women of lesser economic means.

Does rape not exist in your world? What about incest? What about simply not wanting another child or any child at all actually but still enjoying sex?

"What about simply not wanting another child"
aborting the fetus for that reason is murder plain and simple. Science says different and your ignorance of the scientific facts for political reasons is suprising.

An objective, fact-based report describing the day-by-day development of the unborn child, with each fact sourced by a reference to the scientific and medical literature. The facts show the unborn child quickly develops the organs and systems that a newborn has. It moves like a newborn ..it has senses, It can learn. The author concludes that the unborn child must be a human life and invites interested persons to consider the scientific data.

You need to take this concern of yours up with the persons who cause unwanted children. They are the problem, not the innocent children.

That still, small voice that says: He’s right!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is so easy for a right winger: “just don’t have sex”. In spite of human desires.
Ridiculous, as usual.

"What about simply not wanting another child" aborting the fetus for that reason is murder plain and simple. Science says different and your ignorance of the scientific facts for political reasons is suprising.

Legal abortion as presently defined is not “murder” in either the legal or biological manner.
That you anti-abortion extremists feel the need to use such emotionally loaded terms simply shows the weakness of your arguments.

Not my post, but I will respond anyway.
Just because a sperm unites with an egg does not give that “life” the “right” to become a fully developed human being. Anti-abortion extremists will even claim that the morning-after pill should be prohibited which is, of course, totally ridiculous.
And so given the stages of life from initial egg implantation to birth, the question then becomes at what point should that life become inviolable? The most accepted answer legally is at “viability”, the potential for the life to live basically on its own outside the womb.
Given that, I still prefer the least number of legal abortions possible, which is why I support the efforts of Planned Parenthood to provide birth control education and means to those women of lesser economic means.

Legally is not science, laws perpetuated by corrupt politicians mean nothing to me. The human being inside of the womb can only be described scientifically as in the earlier stages of life. The mother does not own that life as much as she thinks she does. Your use of the phrase "Anti Abortion Extremist" clearly describes your unscientific political bias.

Back
Top Bottom