• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Abortion Pill RU-486 to Be Used As Regular Birth Control Pill

jimmyjack

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Abortion Pill RU-486 to Be Used As Regular Birth Control Pill

By Gudrun Schultz

EDINBURGH, United Kingdom, March 28, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) –Pharmaceutical companies and the medical community have suddenly acknowledged a link between the birth control pill and breast cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmyjack said:
“We are looking at an entirely new type of pill that abolishes periods. It will have enormous health benefits,” said Prof David Baird, emeritus professor of reproductive endocrinology at the Edinburgh University, who has led early human trials of the drug.

Abolish periods? Sounds kind of dangerous and unhealthy to me. I certainly don't plan on being the guinea pig for this.

jimmyjack said:
Pharmaceutical companies and the medical community have suddenly acknowledged a link between the birth control pill and breast cancer.

Let me correct this erroneous overgenarlization. This was based on a study published in JAMA 10/2000.

The conclusions were : Women with a strong family history of breast cancer who took birth control pills before 1975 face a significantly increased risk of developing the disease,

The before 1975 is important because the amount of estrogen hormone in those pills were exponentially high compared to the low doses now. And let's also note that only women with a family history of breast cancer were at risk.

Study’s authors did not find an increased risk of breast cancer among women who took the Pill after 1975.

So, if you have been taking bcp since 1975, there does not seem to be an increase in risk.

Just wanted to clarify this obvious overgeneralization by the media

And oh by the way, bcp can prevent certain cancers:

Birth control pills can reduce a woman's risk of ovarian cancer by 50% ( a cancer that we still do not have a reliable screening method for)

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/18/1689_51825.htm

So I am going to keep taking birth control pills.

Last edited:
Moderator's Warning:

Please do not copy full sources and please create a link to your source per our rules:
9. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work.
Please do not post entire articles. Proper format is to paraphrase the contents of an article and/or post relevant excerpts and then link to the rest. Best bet is to always reference the original source.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

Here's a link to the OP's article in full.

talloulou said:
Abolish periods? Sounds kind of dangerous and unhealthy to me. I certainly don't plan on being the guinea pig for this.

:neutral: I doubt it means abolishes periods forever, just so long as you're on the pill - just like Depo Provera injections may eliminate your period, and you remain period-free on the regular contraceptive pill for so long as you don't begin the placebos. It's perfectly healthy, too.

vergiss said:
:neutral: I doubt it means abolishes periods forever, just so long as you're on the pill - just like Depo Provera injections may eliminate your period, and you remain period-free on the regular contraceptive pill for so long as you don't begin the placebos. It's perfectly healthy, too.

Actually, after five years of Depo Provera shot use women now have to get bone densities since we are seeing osteoperosis/osteopenia in women who are using the depo shots. (These are World Health Organization guidelines). That's why I have a problem with contraceptives that shut off menstrual periods , in essence causing iatrogenic menopause. Most gyns prefer cycling even if it is every three months (like the Seasonelle birth control pills). The regular shedding of the uterus may be how birth control pills seem to protect against uterine cancer (another cancer it seems to prevent). The low dose estrogen protects the bones, something like a progesterone only contraceptive like Depo Provera provides no bone building benefits.

Last edited:
bandaidwoman said:
Actually, after five years of Depo Provera shot use women now have to get bone densities since we are seeing osteoperosis/osteopenia in women who are using the depo shots. (These are World Health Organization guidelines). That's why I have a problem with contraceptives that shut off menstrual periods , in essence causing iatrogenic menopause. Most gyns prefer cycling even if it is every three months (like the Seasonelle birth control pills). The regular shedding of the uterus may be how birth control pills seem to protect against uterine cancer (another cancer it seems to prevent). The low dose estrogen protects the bones, something like a progesterone only contraceptive like Depo Provera provides no bone building benefits.

Depo Provera doesn't always stop periods, though. I knew a woman on it who still had her periods, and in fact she got hem heavier than when she wasn't on the shot. Anyway, according to http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/medicalinfo/birthcontrol/pub-depo-provera.xml, women aren't allowed to use Depo Provera continously for more than two years unless there is no other valid contraceptive alternative for her.

If a woman has to use it for more than two years, then she should just take calcium and Vitamin D supplements. Logical, and easy.

I love being able to skip periods on my contraceptive pill (Levlen). Not because of the inconvenience (my natural cycle means that I only get it every 5 weeks rather than every 4, hehehe) - if billions of women before me could handle that, so can I. Rather, because periods are extremely painful for me. I have endometriosis, and as a result get almost insufferably bad pains every time Auntie Flo pays a visit, not only cramps but backpain and headache.

vergiss said:
Depo Provera doesn't always stop periods, though. I knew a woman on it who still had her periods, and in fact she got hem heavier than when she wasn't on the shot. Anyway, according to http://www.plannedparenthood.org/pp2/portal/medicalinfo/birthcontrol/pub-depo-provera.xml, women aren't allowed to use Depo Provera continously for more than two years unless there is no other valid contraceptive alternative for her.

If a woman has to use it for more than two years, then she should just take calcium and Vitamin D supplements. Logical, and easy.

I love being able to skip periods on my contraceptive pill (Levlen). Not because of the inconvenience (my natural cycle means that I only get it every 5 weeks rather than every 4, hehehe) - if billions of women before me could handle that, so can I. Rather, because periods are extremely painful for me. I have endometriosis, and as a result get almost insufferably bad pains every time Auntie Flo pays a visit, not only cramps but backpain and headache.

so sorry to hear about your endometriosis. People don't realize it ectopic uterine tissue that hemmorrages in other parts of your abdomen and cause such horrific pain. have you tried the seasonelle? you only have periods every three months!

Unfortunately, most of the women on depo here are the young who have gotten into trouble with unplanned pregnanciesbecause they keep forgetting their pills or patches. Many stay on it after two years because they don't want any more accidental pregnancies (and many are too young to consider tubal ligation because they are still not married and hope to have children with a husband in the future etc.) Despite vit d and calcium intake many end up with osteopenia and osteoperosis so it is a catch 22 for these young girls. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom