• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"ABORTION NOT A HUMAN RIGHT EVEN IN CASES OF RAPE" - UN Security Council [W:231]

tosca1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
NEW YORK, July 5 (C-FAM) The UN Security Council rebuffed suggestions that victims of wartime rape have a right to abortion in a landmark resolution on women in peace and security last week.

Actress Angelina Jolie urged the United Nations to help victims and punish perpetrators as part of the effort to garner celebrity status for UN causes. She told harrowing tales of women and children being sexually abused in refugee camps.

The Security Council adopted a resolution that focuses on preventing and addressing sexual violence in situations of conflict, but does not mention abortion and the morning-after pill and this angered some.

Delegations that promote abortion internationally expressed their frustration. “Why are the sexual and reproductive rights of victims of sexual violence still in dispute?” questioned French delegate Najat Vallaud-Belkacem. Speaking for the Nordic countries, Karin Enstrom said the availability of abortion and the morning-after pill was “crucial” in situations of conflict.

The Security Council also rebuffed inclusion of homosexual rights. UN bodies have consistently rejected specific rights for homosexuals.

The Security Council resolution, as close to law as anything that comes out of the UN, included the ambiguous phrase “sexual and reproductive health” for the first time. Part of the ambiguity of the term, only ever defined in a 1994 UN conference, is that it includes abortion where it is legal, but does not include them in countries that protect human life in the womb.

While the Security Council accepted this ambiguity, it rejected any steps towards legitimizing abortion and the morning-after pill.
More...
Security Council Says Abortion Not a Human Right Even in Cases of Rape | REAL Women of Canada

I normally scoff at the UN....but on this particular issue, my hats off to them.

Re: "ABORTION NOT A HUMAN RIGHT EVEN IN CASES OF RAPE" - UN Security Council

More...
Security Council Says Abortion Not a Human Right Even in Cases of Rape | REAL Women of Canada

I normally scoff at the UN....but on this particular issue, my hats off to them.

Yep. That mean old UN is not forcing people to do what they do not want to do. What is next, the UN not sending beef to Hindus or not sending pork to Muslims? The do gooders know what everyone in the world should do, just ask that French guy. ;)

More...

So, a woman who is impregnated as a result of violent rape has no right to terminate the pregnancy, but must give birth to the child of the rapist, who then has no responsibility to either the woman or the baby.

It's a two fer - two violations for the price of one.

**** the UN

One of the worst articles I have ever seen, I have no idea what the UN actually said. The Security Council said "The practice of killing non-combatants is perfectly acceptable." See how easy it is. This is bull**** lies but what would you expect from a website like this?

Saying this is UNSC is only 5 members... Out of the 192..

Haha..I love how nonsensical the UN is when it comes to human rights. They have no idea what the origin of the term is so they just come up with crap as they go based purely on desire and nothing else. For example, they have no real good reason to consider Social Security a human right, but they do all the same.

More...

Yes, the same religions that oppose women having rights also opposes gay rights. So yes, you would cheer the UN Security Council opposing gay and women's rights.

In light of the US Supreme Court decision, I suppose Republican male legislatures should pass laws that require gay couples have brain MRIs/CatScans at least 1 day prior to a gay marriage.

The article is pure lies, they are just making crap up. The UN never did any of this I can't find it.

There are two continuous tactics used by ProLife:

1. Incessantly chanting slogans and always reverting to them in any debate or discussion - all the chants and slogans created by religious organizations.

2. Incessant lying and making their issues and logic upon those lies - also then chanting the lies over and over.

The article is pure lies, they are just making crap up. The UN never did any of this I can't find it.

Seems you're right. The OP is from a highly questionable source. Maybe the UN security council isn't so bad after all.

Seems you're right. The OP is from a highly questionable source. Maybe the UN security council isn't so bad after all.

Well considering they actually passed the opposite I would say it's pretty good.

Well considering they actually passed the opposite I would say it's pretty good.

People who post outright lies on the internet in order to support an agenda, however, are beneath contempt (OP, site, not anyone here). What really terks me off is that they actually had me fooled for a while.

Thanks to you, I googled it and yes, I can't find any neutral source either.
I guess they jumped the gun.....what article I found didn't state the title of the topic at all.

The ambiguous statement by the UN - which did not address abortion in a clear manner - could be the culprit here.
Let me do some more research. Consider this a false alarm for now.....

I apologise for any high blood pressures caused by this topic. :lol:

Last edited:

I guess they jumped the gun.....what article I found didn't state the title of the topic at all.

The ambiguous statement by the UN - which did not address abortion in a clear manner - could be the culprit here.

I apologise for any high blood pressures caused by this topic. :lamo

Well, Tosca1...apologies are rare indeed...and accepted by most. You have more cojones than most of the Pro-Birth men who post here. They'll go to their graves before admitting that they made an error.

Well, Tosca1...apologies are rare indeed...and accepted by most. You have more cojones than most of the Pro-Birth men who post here. They'll go to their graves before admitting that they made an error.

Yes, he certainly does have cojones

That explains why he tried to blame the UN for making that poor innocent pro-life organization lie about what happened

That takes cojones

I apologise for any high blood pressures caused by this topic. :lol:

They adressed it pretty goddamn clearly they just used another word but you clearly knew what they are talking about.

Yes, he certainly does have cojones

That explains why he tried to blame the UN for making that poor innocent pro-life organization lie about what happened

That takes cojones

Oh...I thought he is a she... :doh Thus the "cojones" comment.

It was passed unanimously and included a requirement for "nondiscriminatory comprehensive health services."

The article posted by sangha states "and, most valuable, it provides that victims of rape must have access to “nondiscriminatory comprehensive health services.”

Although the word ‘abortion’ was not used, the ‘nondiscriminatory health services’ provision is an enormous breakthrough in the fight to end the deadly denial of abortion for female victims impregnated by war rape,” Janet Benshoof, the president of the Global Justice Center, a New York-based nonprofit group that offers legal advice to democratic developing countries, said in a statement.

The language on nondiscriminatory medical care, including provisions by nations involved in humanitarian services in conflict zones, was first recommended by the UN secretary-general in a 2013 report on sexual violence in conflict. It called for safe abortion services to be part of care to victims of war rape.

The reference to reproductive health services is the first time such language has been embedded in a legally binding document from the Security Council. Yet the clause will undoubtedly be held up for interpretation, even though Nordic countries, Britain, France and other nations back it.
" Rape as a Weapon of War? It’s Still in Business | passblue

That does not sound like the Security Council voted against abortion. Major misstatement in a pretty biased article in the OP. Ya think?

Last edited:

The pro-life sites seem to see it as a victory though - that the UN did not clearly mention abortion in its statement. Which it is. If it's been officially declared a human right, the more impossible it is to stem and undo the atrocity our society had sanctioned.

Angelina Jolie (from her statement) was aiming to have abortion clearly spelled out.

The lack of any mention from pro-choice sites (including mainstream media) about this UN ruling suggest that the ruling did not meet their demands. Otherwise, they'd be trumpetting over this if it's seen as a victory by the pro-choice. How many pro-choice sites carry this news online? My google produced none except one from that Justice site.

Abortion was not declared a human right, even in cases of war rapes.

So I guess that's left to nation(s) to interpret the ambiguous statement the way they want to. As for the Geneva convention - who follows that in most war-torn countries?

Last edited:

...but on this particular issue, my hats off to them.

So your position is that, any and all victims of any and all rapes, regardless of circumstance, should NEVER be allowed to abort the resultant pregnancy?

Is that accurate or not?

Last edited:

The pro-life sites seem to see it as a victory though - that the UN did not clearly mention abortion in its statement. Which it is. If it's been officially declared a human right, the more impossible it is to stem and undo the atrocity our society had sanctioned.

Angelina Jolie (from her statement) was aiming to have abortion clearly spelled out.

The lack of any mention from pro-choice sites (including mainstream media) about this UN ruling suggest that the ruling did not meet their demands. They'd be trumpetting this if it's seen as a victory.

Abortion was not declared a human right, even in cases of war rapes.

So I guess that's left to nation(s) to interpret the ambiguous statement the way they want to. As for the Geneva convention - who follows that in most war-torn countries?

The title from my source (which quote I've used as the title for this thread) should've said:
Abortion was not officially declared a human right.

Back
Top Bottom