• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abortion Compromise?

I'd be perfectly okay with that statement... up until the point that the citizen and the medical practitioner conspire against a third party, to end a human life without the victim's consent.

I'd find these assertions that the unborn isn't alive, or isn't a human being, laughable if it were not so serious a matter. When you've seen ultrasounds, especially the newer ones, there is no denying what you're looking at. It isn't a lump of tissue; it is a baby.

View attachment 67112606

And when you can determine the degree of risk acceptable for a woman to continue pregnancy let us all know - because THAT is the elephant in the ointment when it comes to legislation

We've already established that mob opinion doesn't matter when it comes to civil rights.

actually, as far as the US government is concerned, it does. representtive government don't you know ;)

actually, as far as the US government is concerned, it does. representtive government don't you know ;)

So if enough people want it,and vote the politicians in to get the legislation done, your gun rights can be taken away, and you wouldn't have a problem with that? Because that is what that kind of logic would allow.

Then why, in other debates, do you continue to insist that there is a staunch moral majority who is against abortion? Are you retracting those claims now?

I've not insisted such except perhaps to use the phrase "over half" which 53% would be. And I've certainly not claimed it was a moral majority.

Abortion can't be ruled a right because it's a medical procedure which means money and an agreement are required. If I injure my leg I do not have an enshrined right to medical treatment, but I will likely get it anyway.

If healthcare is a right, how is a procedure not? Besides, abortion is not just a medical procedure, it is a procedure which ends a life.

SCOTUS had to weigh the rights of women with fetal viability. That is why partial birth abortions have been banned in many areas, because they tend to approach fetal viability and the likelihood that fetal suffering occurs. No such fact has been established pre-22 weeks. The body of the fetus is a shell and little else based on the lack of a cerebral cortex, and it cannot surpass the sentience of the pregnant woman in rights.

And? Prior to abolition no such fact established the rights of slaves. Things change.

The privacy ruling means that no one can say for sure if the fetus is or isn't a person - not you, and not I - and it is relegated to the realm of subjective personal beliefs. Therefore it is no one's business what a woman does with her pregnant during this period, as it is between her and her doctor. You can pretend that your morals are based in concrete reality but they simply aren't.

It is subjective, but equally so on both sides.

Once again, I will remind you that your wish to see abortion banned is based upon the thought process that your moral and subjective beliefs should override the beliefs of everyone else and become law. Frankly there is no reason to do that. Given the subjective nature of this debate, I am pro-choice because it encompasses both the desire to not have an abortion, and the desire to have one.

I don't beleive it necessarily has to become law in order to change, but that will certainly affect the quickest change (like abolition, desegregation, etc). Further, it is moral and subjective beleifs which have led to the greatest accomplishments of civil rights, so, this "accusation" doesn't bother me much.

The best thing you can do to honour pro-life is not have an abortion. Your control of the situation stops there, and I disagree that there will be some revolution in the future. As Jallman proved in another abortion thread, the pro-life movement has not really overturned Roe v Wade since it happened.

This is a naive statement. Every person can affect change. We just have to get society as a whole onboard.

The European powers were committing genocide via imperialism all the way up until the death of the British Empire. The only reason why they suddenly started caring was because the plight of the Jews gave them political leverage to recruit new allies (such as the U.S.) for WWII. In the beginning of the holocaust, few nations reacted, least of all the United States. Hitler even had support for his anti-semetic platform in Britain until war was declared, and then the propagandized lines were drawn.

After WWII, Europe had to save face and continue its anti-genocide policy, but honestly, most of the developed world doesn't care. If it did, the Khmer Rouge genocide in Cambodia would not have happened, Bosnia would have been a much more straightforward affair, and Darfur would not be in the state it is today.

Calling the motives of the European powers into question does not change the fact that human society as a whole recognizes genocide and attempts to stop it, however innefectively. Over time awareness will spread and eliminate the motives to commit genocide from within. This enlightment spreads slowly but does spread.

All minutiae aside, it is difficult for me to take your anti-choice arguments seriously, given that humans generally don't care about the welfare of other adults. I am not saying it's right, but... it seems like you are expecting some grand abortion enlightenment to happen. For that to take place, the human condition in general would have to become more enlightened, including honouring the sacred nature of sexuality which would prevent unwanted pregnancy in the first place.

Humans are a long way off from that, and no law you try to make will force people to change overnight. For now, abortion is a necessary evil to prevent much, much larger problems from happening.

Humans may be a long way from solving all the problems of our society but it is untrue to say that as a whole we don't care. If we truelly didn't care then many of the social atrocities of our collective past would still be occuring on the scale and severity they once did. You probably are right in that there will never be a revolution in action against abortion, but in thought, I beleive it is allready occuring.

So if enough people want it,and vote the politicians in to get the legislation done, your gun rights can be taken away, and you wouldn't have a problem with that? Because that is what that kind of logic would allow.

It does allow it, and has.

I've not insisted such except perhaps to use the phrase "over half" which 53% would be. And I've certainly not claimed it was a moral majority.

You have, but I won't cling to this point for now.

If healthcare is a right, how is a procedure not? Besides, abortion is not just a medical procedure, it is a procedure which ends a life.

Because it's an elective procedure, except in the case where it's to save the woman.

And? Prior to abolition no such fact established the rights of slaves. Things change.

Abolition of slavery isn't a precedent to stop abortion though. It's comparing apples and oranges. I understand your hope that things will change, but it's presumptuous to say that abortion laws will undergo a similar evolution to slavery laws just because it happened in the case of slavery. There is no evidence to suggest that abortion is headed that way, not even gradually.

It is subjective, but equally so on both sides.

It isn't though. Pro-choice does not mean I am pro-abortion. I am not the dialectical opposite to your belief. My belief encompasses yours, I just tend to be arguing against you because your choice is trying to override all other choices.

I don't beleive it necessarily has to become law in order to change, but that will certainly affect the quickest change (like abolition, desegregation, etc). Further, it is moral and subjective beleifs which have led to the greatest accomplishments of civil rights, so, this "accusation" doesn't bother me much.

Apples and oranges. There is no evidence that abortion is headed in the same direction as the other civil rights movements, which, by the way, were all initiated by liberals. Pro-life is mainly conservative and it does not represent forward progression, but backward regression in terms of rights. (Not speaking to the moral issue, btw.)

This is a naive statement. Every person can affect change. We just have to get society as a whole onboard.

And that will never happen. You yourself said that society is split. Pro-choice is the only value that encompasses both sides and allows both sides the freedom to honour their beliefs.

Calling the motives of the European powers into question does not change the fact that human society as a whole recognizes genocide and attempts to stop it, however innefectively. Over time awareness will spread and eliminate the motives to commit genocide from within. This enlightment spreads slowly but does spread.

So you're basically saying that the factors involved don't matter, that your point stands and that you are correct. I was actually attempting to point out that you are only half correct, which is important since you keep citing genocide as an equivalent cause to abortion in terms of the evolution of laws. We didn't make genocide laws because we truly decided that genocide was wrong; we did it for political reasons and to save face, and even now we tend to not get involved in genocides unless it benefits us. Darfur is proof of that.

Abortion operates the same way. Women don't have babies unless it is in their interest to do so.

Humans may be a long way from solving all the problems of our society but it is untrue to say that as a whole we don't care. If we truelly didn't care then many of the social atrocities of our collective past would still be occuring on the scale and severity they once did. You probably are right in that there will never be a revolution in action against abortion, but in thought, I beleive it is allready occuring.

Abortion pales in comparison to the atrocities of the past. Abortion has also been consistently present in peace time and in war time. Your comparison does not really stand up to scrutiny. I realize in your mind abortion is an atrocity that is en par to war and genocide, but from a policy perspective that is simply silly. Abortion is legal because it has practical socioeconomic value to entire societies, and that is all.

As for revolution... it's not really. I do respect this debate because it has made more people aware of what abortion is and has made people stop to consider what it means to end a life in utero, but there is little to suggest that the laws are going to regress anytime soon. Populism will not sway the Supreme Court's decision, unless of course the only thing you're banking on is more right wing judges being appointed, which is always possible. That would not bring permanent victory though, since it would just be a matter of liberal judges someday taking their place and re-establishing abortion as a protected procedure. No... if you want to have solvency you must win the battle on rational grounds; only then would the majority hold it to moral regard.

More importantly, as I have already demonstrated in many previous threads, abortions still happens in a widespread manner regardless of the laws. The only difference is whether or not women have safe access to the procedure. So, even if you succeed in getting abortion banned, it won't change the occurrence, it would just change the safety standard. That would be a sad regression indeed because women would be dying needlessly in addition to the fetuses anyway.

Abolition of slavery isn't a precedent to stop abortion though. It's comparing apples and oranges. I understand your hope that things will change, but it's presumptuous to say that abortion laws will undergo a similar evolution to slavery laws just because it happened in the case of slavery. There is no evidence to suggest that abortion is headed that way, not even gradually.

It is, in my opinion. I, and people like me that support the prolife movement for other than religious reasons (and even some of them) view the right to life as a civil right (and basic human right). The explosion of Abortion restrictions (and fetal homicide as well as other fetal "rights" decisions) entered into law in recent years is evidence of the move towards recognizing a fundamental right to life.

It isn't though. Pro-choice does not mean I am pro-abortion. I am not the dialectical opposite to your belief. My belief encompasses yours, I just tend to be arguing against you because your choice is trying to override all other choices.

There is only one other choice and that ends a human life.

Apples and oranges. There is no evidence that abortion is headed in the same direction as the other civil rights movements, which, by the way, were all initiated by liberals. Pro-life is mainly conservative and it does not represent forward progression, but backward regression in terms of rights. (Not speaking to the moral issue, btw.)

I disagree, again the explosion of fetal rights and abortion restrictions is evidence of a change. Whether it is a liberal or conservative stance is immaterial to me. However, the abolition and desegregation movements had more support from Republicans than Democrats.

And that will never happen. You yourself said that society is split. Pro-choice is the only value that encompasses both sides and allows both sides the freedom to honour their beliefs.

Never say never.

So you're basically saying that the factors involved don't matter, that your point stands and that you are correct. I was actually attempting to point out that you are only half correct, which is important since you keep citing genocide as an equivalent cause to abortion in terms of the evolution of laws. We didn't make genocide laws because we truly decided that genocide was wrong; we did it for political reasons and to save face, and even now we tend to not get involved in genocides unless it benefits us. Darfur is proof of that.

No, I don't entirely agree with your summation of the history of genocide but won't argue that your view of it wasn't a factor. Just not the only factor.

Abortion operates the same way. Women don't have babies unless it is in their interest to do so.

Not all are as calculating as that, but this is why I fully support birth control.

Abortion pales in comparison to the atrocities of the past. Abortion has also been consistently present in peace time and in war time. Your comparison does not really stand up to scrutiny. I realize in your mind abortion is an atrocity that is en par to war and genocide, but from a policy perspective that is simply silly. Abortion is legal because it has practical socioeconomic value to entire societies, and that is all.

The same could be said for slavery and child labor. The distinction exists only because you want it to exist.

As for revolution... it's not really. I do respect this debate because it has made more people aware of what abortion is and has made people stop to consider what it means to end a life in utero,

This is my main goal.

Populism will not sway the Supreme Court's decision, unless of course the only thing you're banking on is more right wing judges being appointed, which is always possible. That would not bring permanent victory though, since it would just be a matter of liberal judges someday taking their place and re-establishing abortion as a protected procedure. No... if you want to have solvency you must win the battle on rational grounds; only then would the majority hold it to moral regard.

Personally, I don't beleive that changing the law is the way to go. I beleive that a legitimate and caring attempt to raise awareness of the value of human life will bring about a far more lasting end to abortion. It's my goal to convinve people to stop abortion, not to force it to stop. Think about the green movement. People these days want to recycle and it's not because they are being forced too. This is the way I want to the prolife movement to proceed.

More importantly, as I have already demonstrated in many previous threads, abortions still happens in a widespread manner regardless of the laws. The only difference is whether or not women have safe access to the procedure. So, even if you succeed in getting abortion banned, it won't change the occurrence, it would just change the safety standard. That would be a sad regression indeed because women would be dying needlessly in addition to the fetuses anyway.

A lot of things happen regardless of the laws. That doesn't mean that they should be embraced.

it would take a supermajority of them via the states to do so, but yes, they have the ability (and legal right) to do so. The People were the ones that imposed the Second Amendment upon our government in the first place, and they are the ones capable of removing it.

I beleive that a legitimate and caring attempt to raise awareness of the value of human life will bring about a far more lasting end to abortion. It's my goal to convince people to stop abortion, not to force it to stop.
Shows obviously lack of understanding on human mentality. Be the change you want to see in the world, and change YOUR position on abortion. :doh

Think about the green movement. People these days want to recycle and it's not because they are being forced too. This is the way I want to the prolife movement to proceed.

No one seems to be able to word things as eloquently as you.

Recycle those sucked out fetuses, and unwanted lab fertilized eggs. Use those stem cells in other humans. That's RECYCLING! Is that your position?

Another intersting observation. The "greenest" thing for this planet is to have fewer humans living on this planet.

Last edited:
Good - and when you come up with a working legislation that is going to actually stop abortion please let me know - It is illegal here and our rates are very little different from yours

What is the punishment for abortion where you are at?Is it a fine,slap on the wrist only a few years in prison? And what country do you live in where it is illegal because last I checked abortion is legal in Australia.

http://www.pregnantpause.org/lex/world02map.htm

Last edited:
And when you can determine the degree of risk acceptable for a woman to continue pregnancy let us all know - because THAT is the elephant in the ointment when it comes to legislation

Disingenuous. From what I've seen only a modest percentage of abortions are actually performed because the mother's health will be endangered. The large majority appear to be performed simply because the woman (or the Babydaddy, often at his urging) doesn't want to be a mother or deal with a pregnancy at this time.

Mother Theresa: "It is a poverty that a child must die, so that you may live as you please."

Reactions: mac
Disingenuous. From what I've seen only a modest percentage of abortions are actually performed because the mother's health will be endangered. The large majority appear to be performed simply because the woman (or the Babydaddy, often at his urging) doesn't want to be a mother or deal with a pregnancy at this time.

Most of the dangers of pregnancies aren't obvious until at least after the first trimester, such as pre-eclampsia. There are also a host of other pregnancy pathologies that can happen, and they aren't exactly rare. Here is a table:

Pre-eclampsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most women who have abortions do so in their first pregnancy, which is the most high risk. You also preclude that women may already have children, in which case they are well more versed on how their bodies react to pregnancies. They may already have children and love them dearly, but can't handle anymore.

Health reasons aside, most women get abortions for socioeconomic reasons, and minorities/impoverished people account for the majority of those who get them. The pro-life attitude of birth at all costs isn't very realistic.

To propose that a woman should not have a say over what goes on in her own uterus is preposterous.

Mother Theresa: "It is a poverty that a child must die, so that you may live as you please."

It's dishonest to call a fetus a child, especially when more than half of the abortions that occur in the U.S. take place before the 9th week.

A 9th week old fetus:
300px-9-Week_Human_Embryo_from_Ectopic_Pregnancy.jpg

If you think that is en par to a child, then there is not much room for rational discussion.

I disagree, again the explosion of fetal rights and abortion restrictions is evidence of a change. Whether it is a liberal or conservative stance is immaterial to me.

What explosion? Abortion is still a protected procedure. In a different thread you gave examples of States that have been trying to create anti-abortion laws, but as was demonstrated, they are all being overturned by state supreme courts because of the federal supremacy clause.

Not all are as calculating as that, but this is why I fully support birth control.

Yes, birth control is rather important. Unfortunately, many in the pro-life movement are even against that.

The same could be said for slavery and child labor. The distinction exists only because you want it to exist.

It's not what I think, it's the way it is.

Personally, I don't beleive that changing the law is the way to go. I beleive that a legitimate and caring attempt to raise awareness of the value of human life will bring about a far more lasting end to abortion. It's my goal to convinve people to stop abortion, not to force it to stop. Think about the green movement. People these days want to recycle and it's not because they are being forced too. This is the way I want to the prolife movement to proceed.

This is ironically very pro-choice of you. You want to educate people and then let them decide for themselves. That is basically what I support as someone who supports pro-choice.

A lot of things happen regardless of the laws. That doesn't mean that they should be embraced.

That's true, however it can also mean that the laws themselves are out of synch with the needs of society and have no practical basis. The war on drugs is one such example. Abortion laws would be another. The pro-life movement is too focused on ideology to balance the needs of society. The socioeconomic stability of society requires abortion to maintain equilibrium. Forced pregnancy and labour is inherently destructive, regardless if the end result is that one fetus gets to live.

I don't find pro-life people to be very holistically pro-life. Abortions will happen even if there are abortion laws, but the risks will be much higher to women. The pro-life don't seem to care that women could die in droves like they were in the 50's, as long as non-thinking fetuses get personhood; nor do they care that there are already hundreds of thousands of orphans that need adoption and aid, yet they become secondary to fetuses in the womb.

It simply doesn't make a lick of sense.

What explosion? Abortion is still a protected procedure. In a different thread you gave examples of States that have been trying to create anti-abortion laws, but as was demonstrated, they are all being overturned by state supreme courts because of the federal supremacy clause.

It's not just abortion restrictions, but also fetal protection laws, and fetal homicide laws.

Yes, birth control is rather important. Unfortunately, many in the pro-life movement are even against that.

I am aware. I refuse to contribute to any prolife group that opposes contraception, including those associated with my own religion.

It's not what I think, it's the way it is.

Not true. You're making a moral distinction whether you recognize it or not.

This is ironically very pro-choice of you. You want to educate people and then let them decide for themselves. That is basically what I support as someone who supports pro-choice.

It's not prochoice, regardless of the spin you put on it. A temperate and reasonable approach to the issue is possible by those that oppose abortion. I am not conceeding that abortion is right, just finding a better way to end it.

That's true, however it can also mean that the laws themselves are out of synch with the needs of society and have no practical basis. The war on drugs is one such example. Abortion laws would be another. The pro-life movement is too focused on ideology to balance the needs of society. The socioeconomic stability of society requires abortion to maintain equilibrium. Forced pregnancy and labour is inherently destructive, regardless if the end result is that one fetus gets to live.

The laws in place against most drugs (save a few) are in place for societies benefit. Limiting overdose and the spread of disease for example. It's a bit ironic that you consider abortion good for humanity while ignoring the damage narcotics do to it.

I don't find pro-life people to be very holistically pro-life. Abortions will happen even if there are abortion laws, but the risks will be much higher to women. The pro-life don't seem to care that women could die in droves like they were in the 50's, as long as non-thinking fetuses get personhood; nor do they care that there are already hundreds of thousands of orphans that need adoption and aid, yet they become secondary to fetuses in the womb.

And the prochoice movement doesn't seem to care that over 1.5 million unborn children are killed every year in the us alone. The children needing adoption are made secondary by the innefficiences in government, not by the will of the prolife movement. "Women dying in droves" is an appeal to emotion. In this day and age, illegal abortions would likely be far less risky than they were in the past, but again, abuse of the laws (were it to be illegal) is not in and of itself reason to change the laws.

It simply doesn't make a lick of sense.

To you, I'm sure it doesn't. To me and the people I work with on this issue, it does.

Last edited:
It's not just abortion restrictions, but also fetal protection laws, and fetal homicide laws.

Fetal homicide laws have been addressed many times in previous threads and I won't bother rehashing the arguments. They only matter when a woman is killed, not when a woman seeks an abortion. Apples and oranges.

And all that matters is that Roe v Wade has not been overturned, nor will it be. All of the ancillary attempts don't really matter, because women can still get abortions at their own discretion. :shrug:

I am aware. I refuse to contribute to any prolife group that opposes contraception, including those associated with my own religion.

All pro-life groups are essentially the same in that they want to take away a woman's right, the only difference is the degree. You act as though you are separate from them, but even if your less severe ideology becomes law, the more radical members of the pro-life movement won't stop until full control is assured.

We can't give them this inch, or they will take a mile.

Not true. You're making a moral distinction whether you recognize it or not.

Governments don't take abortion policy nearly as seriously as they consider genocide and wartime policy to be. You can keep claiming it is en par to abortion policy, but it will never be true. Governments care much, much more about foreign campaigns to assure strategic and resource power than they do about the welfare of fetuses. I can appreciate your moral stance that abortion equates to widespread atrocity, but in realpolitik that is simply not the case. Even among conversatives in general, I'd imagine that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan are bigger political fish to fry than abortion.

We can debate about the moral issue of abortion itself, but my undergrad was in international relations so trust me when I say I know public policy better than you.

It's not prochoice, regardless of the spin you put on it. A temperate and reasonable approach to the issue is possible by those that oppose abortion. I am not conceeding that abortion is right, just finding a better way to end it.

I'm not spinning it. You said that your strategy, instead of forcibly changing the laws now, would be to spread education and allow the public to change their minds over time. That is rather democratic, which means you are open to people exercising their choices. If the information you present is fair and balanced, then I don't see how giving people the freedom to form their own views can be anything but promoting their choices.

I mean, your hope may be that the info. changes people to pro-life, but if you're not forcing them into it, then it's ultimately pro-choice. It's not a spin to say so.

The laws in place against most drugs (save a few) are in place for societies benefit. Limiting overdose and the spread of disease for example. It's a bit ironic that you consider abortion good for humanity while ignoring the damage narcotics do to it.

I'm not getting into the debate about the war on drugs, but it has basically been a policy failure. In fact, it is en par to what abortion bans once were... hordes of people dying each year due to having to seek underground reliance, thugs controlling the supply and demand, and lack of safe access to medical facilities without incrimination if there are complications.

I am not in favour of laws that try to repress an already wide-spread behaviour, remove support services from it, and ruin people's lives. It is far more beneficial from a policy standpoint to decriminalize, and then address consequences as they occur. Abortion bans are only about negative consequences in many, many different areas. It too would be a policy failure, and you would see that if you could put aside your idealism for just a moment.

And the prochoice movement doesn't seem to care that over 1.5 million unborn children are killed every year in the us alone.

Calling them children is dishonest. Not even science calls a fetus a child.

The children needing adoption are made secondary by the innefficiences in government, not by the will of the prolife movement.

Inefficiencies which, if addressed, could also help children. If only there were more concerted efforts to do that. The pro-life does not really seem to care about born children or the socioeconomic damage to society that abortion bans would cause.

"Women dying in droves" is an appeal to emotion.

No it isn't. Not whatsoever. I will say it again: during abortion prohibition, the most common cause of death in women of reproduction age was medically unsafe abortions.

You continue, over and over again, to ignore this fact no matter how often I bring it up. You don't seem to care about the welfare of women, or the logical conclusion that if women die, fetuses die anyway.

In this day and age, illegal abortions would likely be far less risky than they were in the past

There is no way to prove this since it's hypothetical, but I sincerely doubt it. Given that women used things like coat hangers, household products, and various primitive implements to try and abort, I doubt that those practices would change. People are not medical experts. They think their bodies can take it, but they can't.

but again, abuse of the laws (were it to be illegal) is not in and of itself reason to change the laws.

Abortion laws have far more cons than they do pros, and it's all about ideology. It doesn't make any sense.

To you, I'm sure it doesn't. To me and the people I work with on this issue, it does.

Well, I'm sure glad that policy experts and people with a real understanding of the needs of society tend to be the ones who make the laws, and not "you and your people".

Despite what you may believe, ideology alone does not form laws. There are many other practical considerations. This is mainly why Roe v Wade has not been overturned, nor will it be if any rational arguments are involved. The pro-life movement has zero control over a woman's private life, and it's going to stay that way. You aren't medical experts, so, keep on dreaming.

Last edited:
Abortion views are pretty solidified in a most people's thoughts. Just as you are not going to change your mind on abortion, neither is the woman you are discussing with. Yet you desire her to change her mind, while you remain unwilling to accept a new paradigm. A little ironic, don't you think?

Most drugs laws are in place to protect BUSINESS not people. Mariuana for example is illegal secondarty to the paper business. Cocaine is illegal, if you buy it from guy on the street. But at work I use it daily - in a very legal way. There is a similar bio-chem make up to heroine and methadone. One is protected by a patent, one grows freely in the wild - they each do the same basic thing.

Narcotics legal or illegal all have the potential for abuse. So too does alcohol, cigarettes, vitamin pills, diet pills, internet and gamming addiction, blogging, stalking baby killers...

Personally I support an adults decision to do whatever he or she wishes to him or herself.

How do you define "best for humanity"?

Fetal homicide laws have been addressed many times in previous threads and I won't bother rehashing the arguments. They only matter when a woman is killed, not when a woman seeks an abortion. Apples and oranges.

It's apples and oranges in that a fetal homicide law is not an abortion restriction. It's relevancy lies in the exapnsion of the concept of person hood for the unborn child. If you wish to ignore that, don't let me get in your way.

And all that matters is that Roe v Wade has not been overturned, nor will it be. All of the ancillary attempts don't really matter, because women can still get abortions at their own discretion. :shrug:

I think the only threat to RVW is the built in triggers.

All pro-life groups are essentially the same in that they want to take away a woman's right, the only difference is the degree.

I disagree, the intent is to protect the right to life of the unborn child. The intent is not to restrict the rights of women, that is side effect.

We can't give them this inch, or they will take a mile.

drama?

Governments don't take abortion policy nearly as seriously as they consider genocide and wartime policy to be. You can keep claiming it is en par to abortion policy, but it will never be true. Governments care much, much more about foreign campaigns to assure strategic and resource power than they do about the welfare of fetuses. I can appreciate your moral stance that abortion equates to widespread atrocity, but in realpolitik that is simply not the case. Even among conversatives in general, I'd imagine that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan are bigger political fish to fry than abortion.

Would you say that the Obama administration put more effort into foreign policy or domestic policy (including healthcare) in it's first year to year and a half? Your summation is not really accurate.

We can debate about the moral issue of abortion itself, but my undergrad was in international relations so trust me when I say I know public policy better than you.

Well far be it from me to infringe on your ego. My undergrad was in sociology and history. I do however have a career that gives me great insight into (and exposure to) the motives of political entities. Recently completed my masters in Environmental Management and am working on a grad certificate in Intelligence Management. If you'd like to believe you know more about the world than I, don't let me stop you.

I'm not spinning it. You said that your strategy, instead of forcibly changing the laws now, would be to spread education and allow the public to change their minds over time. That is rather democratic, which means you are open to people exercising their choices. If the information you present is fair and balanced, then I don't see how giving people the freedom to form their own views can be anything but promoting their choices.

My intent is to raise the awareness of the humanity of the unborn child. Despite 22 years in the military I still have enough faith in humanity that that awareness will reduce abortion over time. It is not my intent to justify abortion in any way nor am I egotistical enough to think that it is I that grants freedom of thought in my fellow human beings.

I mean, your hope may be that the info. changes people to pro-life, but if you're not forcing them into it, then it's ultimately pro-choice. It's not a spin to say so.

You're so wrapped up in your view of the motives of the prolife movement that you are unable to see your own spin. You are so convinced that the prolife movement has no other intention beyond the control of the populace that any other approach falls outside your paradigm, and can only be explained away by reasoning that I am unaware that I am pro-choice.

I'm not getting into the debate about the war on drugs, but it has basically been a policy failure. In fact, it is en par to what abortion bans once were... hordes of people dying each year due to having to seek underground reliance, thugs controlling the supply and demand, and lack of safe access to medical facilities without incrimination if there are complications.

I am not in favour of laws that try to repress an already wide-spread behaviour, remove support services from it, and ruin people's lives. It is far more beneficial from a policy standpoint to decriminalize, and then address consequences as they occur. Abortion bans are only about negative consequences in many, many different areas. It too would be a policy failure, and you would see that if you could put aside your idealism for just a moment.

You are glancing over a lot of issues that must be addressed in order for decriminalization to be successful. I would hope that many of the laws will eventually become unnecessary, but the fundamental problem has to be addressed first. Poverty. The good news is that in reducing or eliminating poverty, a great causal factor of both our positions (drug abuse and abortion) will be eliminated.

Calling them children is dishonest.

No, it is not.

Inefficiencies which, if addressed, could also help children. If only there were more concerted efforts to do that. The pro-life does not really seem to care about born children or the socioeconomic damage to society that abortion bans would cause.

Self fulfilling fantasy (fallacy). Opposing welfare, which I assume you are referring to, is not limited to the typical prolife activist. Further, the motives behind opposing such is not limited to tight fisted taxpayers. Many of us feel that unrestricted welfare promotes and perpetuates poverty rather than reducing it and promises no long term cure of the condition. This lack of poverty reduction is more detrimental to children and shortsighted welfare won't fix it.

No it isn't. Not whatsoever. I will say it again: during abortion prohibition, the most common cause of death in women of reproduction age was medically unsafe abortions.

You can't possibly say that then tell me that the deaths of millions of Jews, Poles, and others had no bearing on the recognition of genocide. Your approach is hypocritical.

You continue, over and over again, to ignore this fact no matter how often I bring it up. You don't seem to care about the welfare of women, or the logical conclusion that if women die, fetuses die anyway.

Because your assumption is false. I have just as much concern about the welfare of women as I do of unborn children. Opposing abortion doesn't alter that. I oppose suicide too, even if it makes someone feel better.

There is no way to prove this since it's hypothetical, but I sincerely doubt it. Given that women used things like coat hangers, household products, and various primitive implements to try and abort, I doubt that those practices would change. People are not medical experts. They think their bodies can take it, but they can't.

I agree, but i don't doubt it. Women today have much greater access to truthfull information than they did 30, 50, 100 years ago. Despite desperation, young women are far more knowledgeable of the consequences of these actions than they were then.

Abortion laws have far more cons than they do pros, and it's all about ideology. It doesn't make any sense.

I disagree.

Well, I'm sure glad that policy experts and people with a real understanding of the needs of society tend to be the ones who make the laws, and not "you and your people".

That's a rather polite way of calling us idiots. Ignoring the views of such a large part of society, for whatever reason, is egotistical and foolish.

Despite what you may believe, ideology alone does not form laws. There are many other practical considerations. This is mainly why Roe v Wade has not been overturned, nor will it be if any rational arguments are involved. The pro-life movement has zero control over a woman's private life, and it's going to stay that way. You aren't medical experts, so, keep on dreaming.

Of course it doesn't, society does. Ideology and values are a great factor in that. You aren't a medical expert either, so, apparently you have no more say than I do.

Last edited:
Most of the dangers of pregnancies aren't obvious until at least after the first trimester, such as pre-eclampsia. There are also a host of other pregnancy pathologies that can happen, and they aren't exactly rare. Here is a table:

Pre-eclampsia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most women who have abortions do so in their first pregnancy, which is the most high risk. You also preclude that women may already have children, in which case they are well more versed on how their bodies react to pregnancies. They may already have children and love them dearly, but can't handle anymore.

This does not alter that what I said was true: the vast majority of abortions are not for health reasons. You admit this here:

Health reasons aside, most women get abortions for socioeconomic reasons, and minorities/impoverished people account for the majority of those who get them. The pro-life attitude of birth at all costs isn't very realistic.

To propose that a woman should not have a say over what goes on in her own uterus is preposterous.

To propose that society has no say in the termination of an unborn human being is preposterous also.

It's dishonest to call a fetus a child, especially when more than half of the abortions that occur in the U.S. take place before the 9th week.

A 9th week old fetus:
300px-9-Week_Human_Embryo_from_Ectopic_Pregnancy.jpg

If you think that is en par to a child, then there is not much room for rational discussion

I think that if you leave that "embryo" alone for a few more months, what emerges is undeniably a human being... therefore the fact that the embryo is less developed does not change its fundamental nature: that it is a human life.

Size does not define personhood. A 5'2 woman and a 6'0 man are both persons.
Shape does not define personhood. A kid suffering from elephantitis may not look very human, but most of us would treat him with compassion, not indifference.
Development does not define personhood. A person born with a birth defect is not defined as "non-human" simply because they are less developed than those born anatomically perfect.
Location does not define personhood. I am a person whether I am in my house or your house.
Dependence does not define personhood. A 1 month old is just as dependent as a pre-born, it can do nothing to sustain itself.

This does not alter that what I said was true: the vast majority of abortions are not for health reasons. You admit this here:

The socioeconomic health of society directly relates to the physical health of individuals. I recognize that abortions can also be out of convenience but it doesn't change the fact that some people are not ready to be parents, and that's okay.

To propose that society has no say in the termination of an unborn human being is preposterous also.

Well, generally speaking, it doesn't. Even if abortion is banned women are still going to have them privately. Nothing will change, you'll just be introducing punishment while increasing risk to personal safety.

I think that if you leave that "embryo" alone for a few more months, what emerges is undeniably a human being... therefore the fact that the embryo is less developed does not change its fundamental nature: that it is a human life.

I don't deny that it's human life. What I'm saying is, so what? It's not a born baby now. What it may potentially be does not equal what it is now. What is going to happen in the future is not relevant to the now. We don't live in the future, or the past, we live in the present.

Shape does not define personhood. A kid suffering from elephantitis may not look very human, but most of us would treat him with compassion, not indifference.
Development does not define personhood. A person born with a birth defect is not defined as "non-human" simply because they are less developed than those born anatomically perfect.
Location does not define personhood. I am a person whether I am in my house or your house.
Dependence does not define personhood. A 1 month old is just as dependent as a pre-born, it can do nothing to sustain itself.

And the common thread in all of those is that the individual is born and thus granted rights. There are very legitimate reasons why, historically, fetuses have never been granted legal personhood. You will have difficulty finding examples of societies who have done this. On a personal level, sure, your fetus could be your child, but society doesn't recognize that really.

Just because we can now look in the womb with our technology and see a developing human doesn't really negate the logic of holding off personhood until an actual birth occurs.

If fetuses were persons, then each one would have to be monitored by government. Miscarriages would warrant investigations, which would be quite awful. If women went to doctors, their pregnancies would have to be registered since now a person would be involved. That means expansion of government power. Women's wombs would no longer be their own, they would be appropriated property of the state. The level of control that would be required to maintain that kind of pro-life pipe dream is neither practical nor appropriate. The state has no business controlling reproduction in that way.

Fetal personhood is far to subjective for me to care. Abortion could always be banned again perhaps, but that does not mean that fetal personhood would naturally come from that. Abortion bans and personhood laws are mutually exclusive.

If fetuses were persons, then each one would have to be monitored by government. Miscarriages would warrant investigations, which would be quite awful. If women went to doctors, their pregnancies would have to be registered since now a person would be involved. That means expansion of government power. Women's wombs would no longer be their own, they would be appropriated property of the state. The level of control that would be required to maintain that kind of pro-life pipe dream is neither practical nor appropriate. The state has no business controlling reproduction in that way.

Fetal personhood is far to subjective for me to care. Abortion could always be banned again perhaps, but that does not mean that fetal personhood would naturally come from that. Abortion bans and personhood laws are mutually exclusive.

You're taking one position, this one (which is mine, and most pro-lifers):

Elective abortions on demand should not necessarily be allowed, legally, in all cases, but only where there are compelling reasons for allowing it.

... and you're expanding it beyond reason into some dystopian, totalitarian regime simply on the basis that only totalitarian control could prevent all abortions.

Pro-lifers like myself are not stupid, Orion. We know full well you will never prevent all abortions.

You will never prevent all murders either; that isn't a justification for making murder legal.

Two comments on this.

First off, one of the major problems with the abortion debate, is that there is no clear definition of personhood. Everyone has their own opinion on what criteria someone must meet to be a person. Roe vs. Wade implies that a fetus is not a person in the legal sense, but doesn't really explain why. Therefore, there is really no 'right' definition. Claerly yours includes ZEFs at any stage of development, but that is no more right than my definition that only includes them after 20 weeks.

Secondly, while it is arguably true that a one-month-old is as dependent as a 20-week fetus, they are dependent in very different manners. A born child can be cared for by anyone. A ZEF must necessarily impinge on its mother's right to bodily sovereignty.

we don't. until her actions with her uterus affect others. just as we don't regulate what she does with her hands... until her hands start firing weapons into a crowd.

if i may quote from WomensHealthCareTopics.Com:

Your baby is growing like crazy during pregnancy week 9. By now, most of the aspects of your baby's physical structure, such as head, arms, legs, and torso are in place. If you were to peek in on your little one, you'd find they resemble a miniature human being (one with a very large head!). Because your baby's organs and limbs are forming, in the next few weeks, your baby will be putting on weight. Your baby's tail should have disappeared by now, and your baby's organs and muscles should be functioning on their own. It's hard to believe that something so small can function so completely, isn't it!

At 9 weeks pregnant, your baby's eyelids will fuse shut and won't open up again until your baby is about 27 weeks along. Your baby's face is becoming more distinct every day, with the mouth, nose and nostrils becoming clearly visible. By nine weeks, your little one will even have developed sex organs, however, your healthcare provider won't be able to discern them quite yet. Typically the sex of your baby can be determined by ultrasound between 18 and 20 weeks gestation.

Your baby's heart should have divided into four separate chambers now, as your baby swims about gleefully in his or her warm and cozy home.

If you think that is en par to a child, then there is not much room for rational discussion.

there is certainly no room for 'compromise', that at least is true.

A 1 month old damn sure infringes on my money, time, sleep, bodily resources, and general sense of insanity. :mrgreen:

I'm a parent, and I grew up with three sisters. Carrying the baby in the womb and getting up to infantile screams at 2 AM feeding time aren't all that different in terms of imposition! :)

You're taking one position, this one (which is mine, and most pro-lifers):

... and you're expanding it beyond reason into some dystopian, totalitarian regime simply on the basis that only totalitarian control could prevent all abortions.

Not really. I know that there are reasonable pro-lifers out there. They aren't really what worries me. My concern lies in the radical aspect, which tend to be the evangelicals which are steadily gaining power in the United States. It's delusional to think that abortion restrictions will happen in moderation. They might at first, but people will never stop until control increases to absurd levels. That's not a conspiracy either. That is simply an honest observation of the way the movement works.

Pro-lifers like myself are not stupid, Orion. We know full well you will never prevent all abortions.

You will never prevent all murders either; that isn't a justification for making murder legal.

The problem with comparing it to murder is that a lot of people - and dare I say most - don't see it as murder. Calling abortion murder is just a euphamism at this point, and it has very little legal pursuasion. Murders still happen but that doesn't negate the need to make it illegal; abortion is not objectively murder, and I know you are intelligent enough to recognize that, even if you personally think it is. Making abortion illegal is not an ends-justify-the-means approach to law... it's a subjective moral value (largely religiously-based) being inserted into a secular system that, within its rational means, has never seen a fetus as a person.

At least with slavery we were dealing with comparatively autonomous humans who could make arguments on their own behalf and form a movement. Until 22 weeks, a fetus lacks a cerebral cortex to even have the most primitive awareness of what is going on. Yes it is a human organism, but at that stage there is nothing meaningful about it other than the subjective attachments people place on it, and those attachments are personal, private, and individual. Trying to make a blanket statement for all pregnancies simply isn't practical according to private, individual relationships with pregnancies.

A 1 month old damn sure infringes on my money, time, sleep, bodily resources, and general sense of insanity. :mrgreen:

I'm a parent, and I grew up with three sisters. Carrying the baby in the womb and getting up to infantile screams at 2 AM feeding time aren't all that different in terms of imposition! :)

Isn't that sort of a matter of opinion though? You might think so, but the woman carrying the baby may feel very differently about it.

Back
Top Bottom