• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abortion Addict Confesses 15 Procedures in 16 Years

Arcana XV

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Abortion Addict Admits to Multiple Abortions, Suicide Attempts - ABC News

Irene Vilar worries that her self-described "abortion addiction" will be misunderstood, twisted by the pro-life movement to deny women the right to choose.

Her book, "Impossible Motherhood," which will be released by Other Press on Oct. 6, chronicles her own dark choices: 15 abortions in 16 years, much of it as a married woman.

Vilar's pregnancies became compulsively self-destructive: After her 9th and 10th abortions, she "needed another self-injury to get the high."

"In the beginning I was taking pills and I'd skip a day or two or give up one month," she said. "I'd think I'll be better next time. But slowly, my days took on a balancing act and there was a specific high. I would get my period and be sad, then discover I was pregnant, being afraid, yet also so excited."

She claims that a dysfunctional marriage to an older man and a difficult childhood are the cause she had so many abortions.

It's like a form of "self-mutilation".

My pro-choice self is at a loss for words. :confused:

What a sad, sick woman.

Last edited:
This is truly sad.

It really doesn't help the pro-life side though with it being only a single case. Now if others start surfacing, it could lead to screening of women receiving abortions to include their medical history to ensure that they are not suffering from this particular psychosis. However, this would still probably not help the pro-life cause a whole lot, because it would most likely result in limiting the right to abortions to this particular type of case and probably only for a short time.

Unless we were able to convince various local and state governments to go to the extreme of actually limiting how many abortions any woman can have. Considering other bans that I have seen over essentially one person doing something wrong and others using it to further their own goals (ie, SC gambling ban), it is certainly possible, but with the smaller governments most likely not having the fed. gov. on their side, any such bans would be contested rather quickly. And personally, even though, I wouldn't mind such limits, to enact laws on such shaky grounds isn't really a good idea and could hurt the pro-life cause in the long run by establishing legal precedent if the limits were overturned.

can you imagine a cage fight between her and octomom

No kidding.

Didn't anyone try to get this woman help? I mean, I dunno, after the 6th or 7th abortion??

What a world...

Why would anyone get her help when she was merely getting a a safe, private medical procedure? Isn't that the pus-like stuff we've all been force fed for years? If she had wanted to have all of her abortions in the last days of the final trimester, are we not told ad nauseum that we have no right to criticize?

I'm sorry, I just don't see the issue.

. . . It really doesn't help the pro-life side though with it being only a single case. . . ..
Newsflash: this is far more common than you'd think, at least in my medical experience, limited though it may be.

To be honest, I think it gives some women a sense of power. This may sound cruel, but after all there are men and women who both enjoy inspiring rage and anger in there families, I suppose this may be something in the same vein.

As for people calling this a "psychosis," I doubt very many of these people would be diagnosed so.

i'm pro choice as well....this woman is disgusting.
Why? It is inconsistent with the logic that has given us unfettered elective abortion that there should be a moral issue here at all. We have been taught that it is her body, and her fetuses to do with as she pleases.

Last edited:
Why? It is inconsistent with the logic that has given us unfettered elective abortion that there should be a moral issue here at all. We have been taught that it is her body, and her fetuses to do with as she pleases.
abortion: safe, legal, and RARE. that's my philosophy.

Newsflash: this is far more common than you'd think, at least in my medical experience, limited though it may be.

To be honest, I think it gives some women a sense of power. This may sound cruel, but after all there are men and women who both enjoy inspiring rage and anger in there families, I suppose this may be something in the same vein.

As for people calling this a "psychosis," I doubt very many of these people would be diagnosed so.

I know from the statistics I posted from another thread that there are many women that have more than one abortion, but the majority also have <4. The stats actually stop specifying how many abortions a woman is having after 3 by just indicating ">3 prior to current abortion".

My main point is actually that if we don't see cases like this brought to light, then nothing will get done about it, and women, like this one, will go on continually getting pregnant just to have an abortion. It's much more prudent to push for little things like trying to curb this type of behavior through medical screenings, abortion limits per person that would act as problem indicators, and mental health to women like this. But if people are not aware that this type of thing is occurring, no push will ever be made. Also, making more cases like this public knowledge could help the families identify these cases earlier and try to help the woman seek proper medical assistance before her own numbers of abortions reach 15.

abortion: safe, legal, and RARE. that's my philosophy.
Well, that's nice I suppose. But why should the elimination of "an nonviable tissue mass" be rare? I mean the reasoning that gave us this state of affairs must be applied consistently, no? As I understand it, if this is some sort of fetish with her, or thousands of others, we have, as we have so very often been told, no right to interfere.

I f a teenager wants to do this every year she is able, we must allow it and prevent her beasrly parents from ever finding out, no?

If someone has the right to do something at will, how can we then object when they exercise that will, without it intersecting our own?

Really, I see no way for you to object, so long as she pays for this simple medical procedure herself.

As for you wishing for the procedure to be rare, I fail to see what you'd base such a desire on.

You are not likely to see any expose anytime soon. Abortion is an industry, and objections to multiple abortions are not likley to arise from that quarter.

Also HIPPA pretty much gags us health care providers from all but the most vague comments about our observations and experiences. It wasn't always so, but it certainly is now.

Last edited:
Well, that's nice I suppose. But why should the elimination of "an nonviable tissue mass" be rare? I mean the reasoning that gave us this state of affairs must be applied consistently, no? As I understand it, if this is some sort of fetish with her, or thousands of others, we have, as we have so very often been told, no right to interfere.

I f a teenager wants to do this every year she is able, we must allow it and prevent her beasrly parents from ever finding out, no?

If someone has the right to do something at will, how can we then object when they exercise that will, without it intersecting our own?

Really, I see no way for you to object, so long as she pays for this simple medical procedure herself.

As for you wishing for the procedure to be rare, I fail to see what you'd base such a desire on.
of course i wish the procedure to be rare, i believe abortion is wrong. i just don't believe it's my right to choose what other women do with their bodies. abortion is legal.

btw, we weren't discussing a teenager, the op was about a married woman who is clearly sick. don't we try to prevent mentally ill people from harming themselves?

While maybe not all the abortions could have been prevented, someone should have told her about birth control.

While maybe not all the abortions could have been prevented, someone should have told her about birth control.

I think the point was more about actually having the abortions, then getting pregnant. From what I read, she viewed having the abortions themselves as ways of getting high. It seemed to be like some of those people who cut themselves. I don't really know how it works in getting them high though.

I think the point was more about actually having the abortions, then getting pregnant. From what I read, she viewed having the abortions themselves as ways of getting high. It seemed to be like some of those people who cut themselves. I don't really know how it works in getting them high though.

Then someone should have told her about marijuana.

Then someone should have told her about marijuana.

I personally prefer thrill rides.

In seriousness, I would rather have people like this identified quickly and given the proper mental medical help they need so that they aren't doing this to themselves and their families, including the babies they are killing. I'm not sure what a good way to identify such cases would be. More screening at abortion clinics might help, but the women would probably just use a different name. The best way I can think of is for the families and friends that know things like this are going on to get involved. A suggestion of getting help is not necessarily a disapproval of a woman's choices, it could just be a concerned loved one who wants her to be healthy, physically and mentally.

Oftencold has a point. To a person who views abortion as no more than removing a mass of cells that has the potential to become human, I don't understand the opinion that this woman is disgusting and repulsive. It should be no more offensive than someone with too many piercings or tattoos.

just like a cerieal killer

clearly she didn't care about preventing pregnancy.

Back
Top Bottom