• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abolish the DEA.

Yes it is pretty ignorant to ignore all the devastation and other problems that drugs bring to neighborhoods, families, and communities.

What's fascinating is I know you mean 'drugs other than alcohol' but in reality it's the drug alcohol which probably causes the most devastation to neighborhoods, families and communities. In total, nationwide, there is no question the societal burden, the devastation, from alcohol abuse is FAR, FAR higher than for pot, several orders of magnitude higher, and it hits families rich, middle class and poor. As far as health goes, legal smoking of tobacco sold in any convenience store is by far the biggest threat to public health, consumes the most dollars. Lots of studies referenced here directly related to the pot issue: Alcohol or Cannabis? No Question Which Substance Poses a Greater Risk to Health

stating your opinion as fact is a fallacy.
The fact is that drugs are illegal because they do way more harm than alcohol does. don't
believe me then go walk any drug invested neighborhood and look at how prosperous it is.

There are several errors in those short statements. The first is treating alcohol as something other than a drug - it's just a different drug. Second, I've looked and never seen a study that finds that drugs other than alcohol do "way more harm" per use than the drug alcohol. When it comes to alcohol versus pot, the findings are from what I can tell universal and definitive, across many countries, that pot is far LESS harmful than alcohol, for several reasons.

Other drugs are clearly very harmful - meth, opiates are obviously killers of many - but that's not an argument for treating drug use and addiction as primarily a criminal issue (our failed War on Drugs) rather than a public health issue. Legalization doesn't solve all the problems - see, alcohol, nicotine - but the goal is to reduce the health and societal problems of drug abuse, and it seems clear our criminal approach just doesn't work. It's like whack a mole, except we fill prisons with a never ending stream of non-violent users and dealers, and many of the rest are there for violence directly caused by criminalizing sales.

Finally, when you talk about drug infested neighborhoods, what you (probably) mean are poor areas of the inner city filled with poor and often desperate and dysfunctional people. I've never seen studies on the issue, but it seems safe to say drugs are primarily a symptom and not the cause of the problems you see.

Yeah, it is BS. But some good news....today, the marijuana legalization effort in AZ gets good news. The proposition will be officially put on the ballot! Now, the fight begins against the pot prohibition idiots in AZ (who have NO problem accepting wads of money form the liquor lobby and the pharmaceutical lobby). It is going to be a very close election, as it was when we legalized medical marijuana (and the idiot gov Brewer, and the AG did everything to try to stop...but they lost every single case they brought). Hopefully CA will legalize, so if it fails in AZ, its just a short drive or flight away.

Its time for legal marijuana, nation wide.

I'm sure for-profit prisons have a dog in the fight as well. It's all about the Benjamins.

Back
Top Bottom