• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

ABLE DANGER ID'D Atta 13 times

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/14/D8FP5LOO0.html

Weldon: 'Able Danger' ID'd 9/ll Ringleader
Feb 14 5:33 PM US/Eastern
By KIMBERLY HEFLING
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Pre-Sept. 11 intelligence conducted by a secret military unit identified terrorist ringleader Mohamed Atta 13 different times, a congressman said Tuesday. During a Capitol Hill news conference, Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., said the unit _ code-named "Able Danger" _ also identified "a problem" in Yemen two weeks before the attack on the USS Cole. It knew the problem was tied into the port of Aden and involved a U.S. platform, but the ship commander was not made aware of it, Weldon said.

9/11 could have been prevented so many ways
and yet it happened
and none of the fault was Bush's
as a result i am sure this story will get no play in the MSM

DeeJayH said:
and yet it happened

Are you absolutely positive in the bolded part of your statement? Somehow I doubt you can say that.

aps said:
Are you absolutely positive in the bolded part of your statement? Somehow I doubt you can say that.

funny how that is the single issue you address
hate away to your hearts content

NORRISTOWN - Two years before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, U.S. intelligence officials linked Mohammed Atta to al-Qaida, and discovered he and two others were in Brooklyn. They wanted to mount a surveillance operation to track them.

But when officials asked Special Operations Command (SOCOM) to advise FBI agents of the "Able Danger" operation, the legal counsel shot down the plan, according to U.S. Rep. Curt Weldon, R-7th Dist., dumbfounding those managing the covert effort.
Atta was one of four hijackers aboard American Airlines Flight 11. Being the only terrorist onboard who was trained to fly a jet, according to the Sept. 11 Commission Report, he was likely at the cockpit controls when the airliner slammed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 8:46 a.m. that morning.
If the government had been able to arrest Atta in 1999, when the Egyptian was staying in Brooklyn, the deadly terrorist attacks might have been prevented - or at least disrupted.
"But (intelligence officials) were told that, because the men had green cards, they couldn't touch them," Weldon said in an interview in Washington, D.C., Monday.
Before 2001, possessing a green card gave foreign nationals the same eavesdropping protection as American citizens.
According to the congressman, SOCOM had advised the FBI during the law enforcement agency's ill-fated siege of the Branch Davidian compound, in Waco, Texas, in 1993, that resulted in more than 80 deaths after Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents raided the compound. Following the fiery debacle, all the federal participants in the siege, including SOCOM, were harshly criticized.
Fear of suffering the fallout if "Able Danger" backfired, Weldon said, explains SOCOM's reluctance to assist the FBI.
"There was a lot of concern about repercussions, and the lawyers told special operations to back off," he said.
A small group of intelligence employees ran "Able Danger" from the fall of 1999 until February 2001 - just seven months before the terrorist attacks - when the operation was axed.

other than 6 weeks maximum
ABLE DANGER operated under Slick Willy

DeeJayH said:
and yet it happened

The failure to act on Able Danger's warnings should be investigated thoroughly. There is a long long long list of items that aren't being looked into these days. To say carte blanche that "none" of it is Bush's fault, is just as short sighted as saying all of it is Bush's fault.

This isn't about bipartisan politics, this is about the safety of our nation.

Just like the corporate media barely covered the 9/11 commission's low ratings of the Bush administration (5 "Fs" etc) they won't cover this either.

hipsterdufus said:
The failure to act on Able Danger's warnings should be investigated thoroughly. There is a long long long list of items that aren't being looked into these days. To say carte blanche that "none" of it is Bush's fault, is just as short sighted as saying all of it is Bush's fault.

Just like the corporate media barely covered the 9/11 commission's low ratings of the Bush administration (5 "Fs" etc) they won't cover this either.

who are you and why are you using Hipsters pc to log on here?
this is not the type of replies/posts i have become used to from you
I can actually appreciate that and respect this one
KUDOS, though i doubt you care, much less need my aproval

DeeJayH said:
and yet it happened

Since the able danger story you no longer hear liberals saying"9/11 was Bush's fault"

This story will not get much attention because the media is liberally biased.

This would be a bigger story than a liberal being treasonous or something being a democrat's fault.
mediapriority.jpg

The 9/11 Commission Report said that almost all the hijackers were identified as a potential threat by the CAPPS database system, before they got on those airplanes. The only consequence of being identified, at the time, was that they remain off the airplane until their baggage has been checked. In my opinion, whoever outlined such a short-sighted response to terrorist "threats " trying to board our airplanes bears a huge portion of the responsibility. But I guess that's not being looked into either.

hipsterdufus said:

*sigh* If only our government could feel that way too. Both sides. To be perfectly clear I wish both democrats AND republicans could put aside their issues to agree that it was a failure on both the Clinton and Bush administrations that paved the way for 9/11. Come on it takes alot more than 9 months to plan something like that but it also can be halted in one day. From what I have read and heard it was the FBI and the CIA that blew it when it came to pre-9/11 intelligence.

Back
Top Bottom