• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Abercrombie & Fitch to Pay to Settle Suit

heyjoeo

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES - [size=-1]Abercrombie & Fitch Co. has agreed to pay $40 million to black, Hispanic and Asian employees and job applicants to settle a class-action federal discrimination lawsuit that accused the clothing retailer of promoting whites at the expense of minorities, lawyers said Tuesday. [/size]

The settlement, approved Tuesday morning by U.S. District Court Judge Susan Illston, requires the company to adhere to a consent decree that calls for the implementation of new policies and programs to promote diversity and prevent discrimination in its workforce. Abercrombie & Fitch also must pay about $10 million to monitor compliance and cover attorneys' fees, although the agreement contains no admission of wrongdoing by the company.

"We have, and always have had, no tolerance for discrimination. We decided to settle this suit because we felt that a long, drawn out dispute would have been harmful to the company and distracting to management," chairman and CEO Mike Jeffries said in a statement Tuesday.

In trading, Abercrombie & Fitch shares closed down 93 cents, or 2.1 percent, at $44.08 on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites). Wall Street had known the settlement was coming; last week, in its third-quarter earnings report, Abercrombie & Fitch had said it would pay $50 million to resolve the litigation.

The lawsuit originally was filed last June in San Francisco by Hispanic and Asian groups charging that Abercrombie & Fitch, known for its "classic casual American" clothing styles, hires a disproportionately white sales force, puts minorities in less-visible jobs and cultivates a virtually all-white image in its catalogues and elsewhere. A second, similar lawsuit was filed against the company last November in New Jersey.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission joined the private plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which alleged that Abercrombie & Fitch violated portions of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The lawsuit specifically accused the company of engaging in recruiting and hiring practices that exclude minorities and adopting a virtually all-white marketing campaign.

"The retail industry and other industries need to know that businesses cannot discriminate against individuals under the auspice of a marketing strategy or a particular 'look'. Race and sex discrimination in employment are unlawful, and the EEOC will continue to aggressively pursue employers who choose to engage in such practices," said Eric Dreiband, the EEOC's general counsel.

The EEOC estimated the lawsuit would affect more than 10,000 Hispanic, Asian or black men and women.

The consent decree calls for Abercrombie & Fitch to hire a vice president of diversity and hire up to 25 diversity recruiters. The company also promised that its marketing materials would reflect diversity.

The original lawsuit was brought on behalf of nine young minorities, including students and graduates of Stanford University and the University of California, who were denied jobs or fired based on their race.

"This agreement promises to transform this company, whose distinctiveness will no longer stem from an all-white image and workforce," said Thomas A. Saenz, vice president of litigation at the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is ridiculous. These are the kind of court cases that are just a waste. How much of that settlement you think is going to the lawyer? Ridiculous amounts. I think I'm going to join a company like Fubu and claim that they promote a generally black image. Watch the backlash while I get hate mail and get called a racist. Ridiculous.

Post source please - not questioning validity, just need to make sure that copyrights are not challenged. Thanks!

Back to topic...

You get no argument here.

What would they say if I wanted to work in an Asian supermarket, resturant, or newspaper agency?

I don't speak an asian language - could I sue for discrimination?

I don't speak an asian language - could I sue for discrimination?
If companies can post for jobs requiring spanish language skills, why can't I post for jobs requiring individuals to speek english?

also . . .

My thoughts are turning to FuBu.

Last edited:
I'm sure I don't know enough about this subject. Maybe there is/was something very wrong at Abercrombie & Fitch. Maybe in some way they did do business in a way not fair to people of color. I don't know. But I'm betting if you went to the publishers of say, Ebony Magazine, you wouldn't find many middle class white people working there. Doesn't seem to me like there's anyone making any noise about these situations? Have we not gotten to the point where if you own a business you can't hire anyone you want? Do we really still need the government telling us we have to hire X number of this race or that? When I hear about suits of this nature I often think it's the lawyers that really make out and it's the consumers that lose out.

Again I could be wrong. Since I have no idea what it's like to be anything but white and middle class.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom