• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ABC, NBC and CBS Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare on Evening Newscasts

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Some things never change... Maybe if 90% of the voters rejected Obamacare instead of 71%, they would have covered it.

Networks Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare, Instead Celebrate Obama's Birthday

In the first voter referendum on ObamaCare, Missourians on Tuesday overwhelmingly (by 71 to 29 percent) backed Proposition C which called upon the state to enact a statute to “deny the government authority to penalize citizens for refusing to purchase private health insurance,” an outcome the St. Louis Post-Dispatch described as “rebuking President Barack Obama's administration.” On Wednesday night, however, the ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts skipped the bad news for President Obama – yet all found time to celebrate his 49th birthday.

(The Missouri repudiation of a central tenet of ObamaCare came a day after another setback for ObamaCare which the newscasts also ignored: A federal district judge in Richmond rejected the Obama administration’s quest to block Virginia’s lawsuit challenging Congress’ jurisdiction to mandate individuals buy health insurance.)

Networks Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare, Instead Celebrate Obama's Birthday | NewsBusters.org

Re: ABC, NBC and CBS Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare on Evening Newsca

Thats not true. MSNBC was talking about it on Chris Matthews and Morning Joe yesterday.

Re: ABC, NBC and CBS Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare on Evening Newsca

Thats not true. MSNBC was talking about it on Chris Matthews and Morning Joe yesterday.

That's funny.... I don't recall saying anything about MSNBC or any cable news outlet.

That's funny.... I don't recall saying anything about MSNBC or any cable news outlet.

SO did you do your own research or you are just going by a bias source? This is what is wrong with us as a country (both liberals and conservatives). Instead of trying to find solutions to help build our country, we spend more time playing the gotcha game. This is getting tiresome.

SO did you do your own research or you are just going by a bias source? This is what is wrong with us as a country (both liberals and conservatives). Instead of trying to find solutions to help build our country, we spend more time playing the gotcha game. This is getting tiresome.

Unless you have paid for a subscription to Lexis Nexis, a person can't research this stuff themselves.

I have been reading this website since the first week it came out, and although they are biased, they do not make up **** like Media Matters does.... So if you have any evidence that Newsbusters is lying, then by all means present it. If not, then why don't you find a nice Glenn Beck bashing thread to contribute to.

Unless you have paid for a subscription to Lexis Nexis, a person can't research this stuff themselves.

I have been reading this website since the first week it came out, and although they are biased, they do not make up **** like Media Matters does.... So if you have any evidence that Newsbusters is lying, then by all means present it. If not, then why don't you find a nice Glenn Beck bashing thread to contribute to.

See this is exactly what I am talking about. I criticize both liberals and conservatives for playing this game and you bring up Beck of all people. Really?

I don't care for Beck and I don't even watch him.

Some things never change... Maybe if 90% of the voters rejected Obamacare instead of 71%, they would have covered it.

Networks Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare, Instead Celebrate Obama's Birthday | NewsBusters.org
This just shows how stupid the people at Newsbusters are. Missouri didn't reject 'Obamacare' they voted against the 'mandate' portion only. The vote was seen as symbolic because states can't override Federal law.

See this is exactly what I am talking about. I criticize both liberals and conservatives for playing this game and you bring up Beck of all people. Really?

If you have evidence (a transcript or video clip) that Newsbusters is lying, then please present it. The entire 5 years I have read that website, they have never falsely claimed a network did or did not report on something. It's called "credibility", and they have earned it.

I don't care for Beck and I don't even watch him.

Do you even realize what you just said? You and 95% of liberals out there despise the man, when the only thing they know about him is what Media Matters tells them. Think about that the next time you want to question me about my views.

This just shows how stupid the people at Newsbusters are. Missouri didn't reject 'Obamacare' they voted against the 'mandate' portion only.

Without the mandate there is no Obamacare, because costs would skyrocket and be even more unfordable than it already is with the stinking mandate.

The vote was seen as symbolic because states can't override Federal law.

It was symbolic alright.... It was 71% of the people in Missouri telling the administration and the democrats in congress, to shove their health care plan up their progressive asses.

Without the mandate there is no Obamacare, because costs would skyrocket and be even more unfordable than it already is with the stinking mandate.

It was symbolic alright.... It was 71% of the people in Missouri telling the administration and the democrats in congress, to shove their health care plan up their progressive asses.
The mandate is a Republican idea. See Richard Nixon, Mitt Romney.
BTW, not that I really care, but Newsbusters whines alot. :2razz:

The mandate is a Republican idea. See Richard Nixon, Mitt Romney.
BTW, not that I really care, but Newsbusters whines alot. :2razz:

So, do you have any comment on the fact that ABC, NBC and CBS didn't bother mentioning this story on their nightly news broadcasts?

So, do you have any comment on the fact that ABC, NBC and CBS didn't bother mentioning this story on their nightly news broadcasts?
Well actually I think President Obama's birthday was more important. But you see, the networks don't actually report the news anymore. Producers put on what they think will get the ratings. And that's their bias - its not right or left - its all about revenue. It really is.
Newsbusters used to try to find liberal bias in the media. It's a stupid game. It's like keeping score for one team and not the other in sports.

Shockingly, ABC News and the various programs on ABC have not talked about Prop C at all nor to my searching on Brian Williams site did NBC. I was very surprised. CBS Nightly News has mentioned it, but not to the degree that cable networks have.

I suspect that they could be using the issue as a talking point for their various Sunday morning news programs, as honestly in the scope of other stories out there this week (Prop 8, Supreme Court Judge confirmation, job growth/loss, Ground zero mosque, fires in Cali, static kill, warehouse worker shooting) this is just a speck of dust compared to those other stories.

Why would any news organization want to discuss something that is completely irrelevant? States cannot nullify federal statutes.

I heard about it through the BBC and CNN, but I guess you didnt specifically mention them like you didn't specifically mention MSNBC. Problem is, you didn't specifically mention anyone or any news group, heck you weren't even specific enough to say you were talking about news groups, I'm just assuming. No instead you said "they aren't covering it."

So who exactly is they?

Hey look, it's a story based on Media Matters Right.

Meaning what exactly?

I have a novel idea.... It's kind of crazy, but how about you give it a shot... If you have evidence this isn't true, than present it, rather than attacking the source? I know that's an off the wall way to participate in a discussion, but how about you break with the norm and give it a shot?

Why would any news organization want to discuss something that is completely irrelevant? States cannot nullify federal statutes.

I realize in the world of a progressive, what the overwhelming majority of the American people want (in this case, Missouri) is completely irrelevant.... I mean, you folks know better than we do.... but it's nice to here you express this arrogance openly.

Have a wonderfully day o' wise one.

I heard about it through the BBC and CNN, but I guess you didnt specifically mention them like you didn't specifically mention MSNBC. Problem is, you didn't specifically mention anyone or any news group, heck you weren't even specific enough to say you were talking about news groups, I'm just assuming. No instead you said "they aren't covering it."

So who exactly is they?

Gee... I really thought I was quite clear. Let me re-post it again for you, and I think if you read it 3 or 4 times you might get an indication who I was talking about. If not, try reading the title of the thread:

Networks Ignore Missouri Voters' Rejection of ObamaCare, Instead Celebrate Obama's Birthday

In the first voter referendum on ObamaCare, Missourians on Tuesday overwhelmingly (by 71 to 29 percent) backed Proposition C which called upon the state to enact a statute to “deny the government authority to penalize citizens for refusing to purchase private health insurance,” an outcome the St. Louis Post-Dispatch described as “rebuking President Barack Obama's administration.” On Wednesday night, however, the ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts skipped the bad news for President Obama – yet all found time to celebrate his 49th birthday.

(The Missouri repudiation of a central tenet of ObamaCare came a day after another setback for ObamaCare which the newscasts also ignored: A federal district judge in Richmond rejected the Obama administration’s quest to block Virginia’s lawsuit challenging Congress’ jurisdiction to mandate individuals buy health insurance.)

Hope that helps.

I realize in the world of a progressive, what the overwhelming majority of the American people want (in this case, Missouri) is completely irrelevant.... I mean, you folks know better than we do.... but it's nice to here you express this arrogance openly.

Have a wonderfully day o' wise one.

Oh you mean like when the previous admin continued the war in Iraq when Majority of Americans were against it?

YouTube - ‪Cheney to Americans: I don't care what you think‬‎

Oh you mean like when the previous admin continued the war in Iraq when Majority of Americans were against it?

YouTube - ‪Cheney to Americans: I don't care what you think‬‎

When boxed into a corner, change the subject to "BUSH"... That tactic was effective the first 1000 or so times you all tried it, but these last 5 or 10 thousand times the Bush card just hasn't had the same punch. You all need to update your playbook.

When boxed into a corner, change the subject to "BUSH"... That tactic was effective the first 1000 or so times you all tried it, but these last 5 or 10 thousand times the Bush card just hasn't had the same punch. You all need to update your playbook.

This clip was to point out that conservative admins do the same. And considering that Bush was the most recent Republican president then yes he will be use to point out the hypocrisy from the right. Tell me where was the tea party when BUsh was in office? Where was "fiscal" out cry from the right when BUsh was in office.

Lets not kid ourselves, washington is nothing but a big chess board for ALL politicians. I don't see how anything gets done in this country.

This just shows how stupid the people at Newsbusters are. Missouri didn't reject 'Obamacare' they voted against the 'mandate' portion only. The vote was seen as symbolic because states can't override Federal law.

I was hoping someone would notice the difference. There's ALOT of misinformation concerning the new health care law. As such, it's no wonder many people don't understand "what's in it for them" and believe the that "mandate" is a blanket mandate for anyone who doesn't acquire health insurance. That's not true.

I've been reading the new health care law (HR 3962) and it's very interesting. I plan to start a thread outlining what I see as the good and the bad on it, but it's going to take a few more days (maybe another week or two) before I can put it all together. I'm making progress; I'm up to page 126 so far (I started over since the old bill was dropped; this one reads very different from what I had on file prior to March 2010) and have outlined 10 good things about the bill that I'm convinced most Americans know nothing about. I won't try to address them now, but plan on doing so in the near future.

As far as network coverage of this Missouri vote is concerned, I really don't see why all the fuss. After all, it wasn't a vote on whether or not people hate the new law. It was whether or not the people of Missouri agreed with the insurance mandate. There IS a difference. One state does not a referendum make....but Reps will certainly try to use this as a spring board to repeal the health care bill.

Last edited:

Meaning what exactly?

I have a novel idea.... It's kind of crazy, but how about you give it a shot... If you have evidence this isn't true, than present it, rather than attacking the source? I know that's an off the wall way to participate in a discussion, but how about you break with the norm and give it a shot?

It means that NewsBusters is just as reliable as Media Matters, only right wing. And since we are all so concerned about bias in the media, I think pointing out bias in sourcing is perfectly acceptable. Using a biased source as proof of another groups bias is hilarious, but hardly compelling evidence.

Back
Top Bottom