• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

AARP Raises Costs for Employees' Insurance Plans

Whovian

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm pretty sure Obama said this would not happen.

FoxNews.com - AARP Raises Costs for Employees' Insurance Plans

AARP's endorsement helped secure passage of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. Now the seniors' lobby is telling its employees their insurance costs will rise partly as a result of the law.

And AARP adds that it's changing copayments and deductibles to avoid a 40 percent tax on high-cost health plans that takes effect in 2018 under the law. Aerospace giant Boeing also has cited the tax in asking its workers to pay more. Shifting costs to employees lowers the value of a health care plan and acts like an escape hatch from the tax.

has AARP ever raised their costs before? Was Obama responsible then?

I'm pretty sure Obama said this would not happen.
He did, which is why the credibility of this administration is the only thing that truly is shovel-ready.

Yes, they (AARP) supported the plan, more accurately the board of directors. The majority members were against HC plan.

Maybe you didn't read the following from the story:

AARP adds that it's changing copayments and deductibles to avoid a 40 percent tax on high-cost health plans that takes effect in 2018 under the law.

"Plan value changes were necessary not only from a cost management standpoint but also to ensure that AARP's plans fall below the threshold for high-cost group plans under health care reform."

AARP warned its employees that more cost-shifting could be in store. "AARP intends to make similar changes, as necessary, in the future to avoid the (health plan) tax," said Hodges'

You quoted the 1st and 3rd paragraph of the article, so I'll assume it must have been a honest error to skip over the 2nd paragraph...;)

Peculiar how it rose right after Obamacare was passed.

Obama care will increase costs during hard economic times. This is why the GOP wants to stop it.

Obama care will increase costs during hard economic times. This is why the GOP wants to stop it.

The GOP wants to stop it, because it will cost the Health Insurers a little bit more. For **** sake, do you really wanna go back to the times where Health Insurers could drop you for an abritrary reason?

How does it make sense, that if everyone had to get Health Insurance, that the premiums would rise, if everyone had to get it, insurers would have to scramble to get everyones business, therefore have to offer lower premiums.

I mean logically speaking, if you have to buy something, you're gonna go for the lowest costs.

Granted there are parts of the bill that are terrible, that much we can agree on. But the entire thing isn't bad, and I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance companies conspired to raise costs as much as possible, before the law goes into effect to get people against it, because they know they have to lower costs after.

The GOP is in the Insurance companies pockets, do not think they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

The GOP is in the Insurance companies pockets, do not think they're doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Right, because all of your 20-something years on this Earth and deep experience within the United States would make you an authority on that.

Me, I want to go back to the time when people paid their own health costs and third-party payers didn't distort the market.

The GOP wants to stop it, because it will cost the Health Insurers a little bit more. For **** sake, do you really wanna go back to the times where Health Insurers could drop you for an abritrary reason?

How does it make sense, that if everyone had to get Health Insurance, that the premiums would rise, if everyone had to get it, insurers would have to scramble to get everyones business, therefore have to offer lower premiums.

I mean logically speaking, if you have to buy something, you're gonna go for the lowest costs.

Granted there are parts of the bill that are terrible, that much we can agree on. But the entire thing isn't bad, and I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance companies conspired to raise costs as much as possible, before the law goes into effect to get people against it, because they know they have to lower costs after.

Wrong the GOP wants to get rid of this government take over and put in logical rules. Such as no preexisting conditions preventing being insured.

Thank you for being consistent in your worship of Obama who can do no wrong the lying no good idiot.

Obama is responsible for the costs going up on ALL insurance ALL insurance costs and about 11 new taxes to come.

AARP helped push this stupid no good worthless plan that those of us who back the Conservative, Tea Party are going to shut down.

Last edited:
Thank you for being consistent in your worship of Obama who can do no wrong the lying no good idiot.

Obama is responsible for the costs going up on ALL insurance ALL insurance costs and about 11 new taxes to come.

AARP helped push this stupid no good worthless plan that those of us who back the Conservative, Tea Party are going to shut down.

:lamo

Obama caused ALL the premium increases. That's hilarious. Mine went up 30% in 2007, DAMN YOU OBAAAAMAAAAA!

Wrong the GOP wants to get rid of this government take over and put in logical rules. Such as no preexisting conditions preventing being insured.

Sorry, which insurance companies have been bought by the government?

Sorry, which insurance companies have been bought by the government?

You don't know? No one paying attention couldn't name at least one big one.

he promised a thousand times costs would go down

he failed

he promised a lot of things, like unemployment would cap at 8% if he got his stimulus, he'd cut the deficit in half in 4 years, we'd like obamacare once we got to know it, he'd be post partisan and post racial, close gitmo and end rendition and detention, talk to the leaders of iran and improve america's image abroad, try ksm in a civil court in manhattan, prosecute the waterboarders at the cia, renegotiate chinese currency, win global warming accords, end dadt (his own doj is arguing against gay rights in the districts on 2 separate matters, dadt and gay marriage), bring the israelis and palestinians together (what happened to hillary's hi profile peace talks last month?), reform immigration comprehensively (instead he sues AZ), avoid lobbyists (he's the top recipient of aig money), put legislation on line (instead nancy says we gotta pass stuff to know what's in it), be transparent (his fed instructed aig to keep secrets from the sec, he signed the infamous secret deal with phrma, he's fighting foia requests for records detailing exactly who was bailed out and how much)...

yeah, he promised lots of things

and he means well---LOL!

everyone outside the fringe recognizes he's incompetent, it's cuz he just doesn't get it, he's so outta touch, so tone deaf

as for aarp---when i was young we were all told that the most powerful special interest lobby in the usa was aipac, the american israel public affairs committee

in my middle years i always felt it was aarp (tho the nra has always been a major player)

well, aarp has just destroyed itself over this obamacare

AARP loses members over health care stance - USATODAY.com

we all of that age watched it happen, it was very ugly

aarp is the new now, they've made themselves irrelevent

How friggen lame, accusing a senior organization(which isn’t an insurance company)of raising rates because of something that doesn’t kick in until 2014.

It would be like me blaming bush because Medicare part D is raising there rates in 2011….after all he was President when this dog of a drug plan was enacted. By the way most of AARP Medicare insurance is United Healthcare,they just use AARP for a front.

How friggen lame, accusing a senior organization(which isn’t an insurance company)of raising rates because of something that doesn’t kick in until 2014.

It would be like me blaming bush because Medicare part D is raising there rates in 2011….after all he was President when this dog of a drug plan was enacted. By the way most of AARP Medicare insurance is United Healthcare,they just use AARP for a front.

um... the only one 'accusing' AARP of raising rates... is AARP. I guess you avoided reading the OP article.

Has nothing to do with Obama. These types of increases were haooening long before reform, so I suppose he was to blame for those as well. I can't help that some don't think this through to well, and isntead seek to misplace blame for political reasons. So, I saya gain, who was responsible for the increases before Obama and health care reform?

Some have the very odd belief that since something has happened in the past, it can’t be made worse or bigger by new circumstances.

BTW, I have doubts that many companies the past have greatly reduced benefits and greatly increased health insurance premiums at the same time. Just anectodaly, I know of quite a few companies that have done this during the current annual election, including my wife's unionized job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom