• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

Honestly I think its tough to blame the video games in these cases considering millions of people enjoy them and don't go on killing sprees. Unfourtuntly some people are just broken and yes maybe a game like call of duty triggered this attack but it could of also been a number of other things.

Not that this had anything to do with anything.

Exclusive: The Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis played violent video games including Call of Duty for up to 16 hours at a time and friends believe it could have pushed him towards becoming a mass murderer.

Video games do not cause someone to go out and murder multiple people. There are MILLIONS of people that play those games and they don't go on a mass shooting spree.

ZOMGZZZZZOOMGOGMOGOMO!!!!!!! TEABAGGERS111111

BAN ALL GUNS!!!!!!!!! NRA, GOP, RACISISM.......BLAH BLAH BLAH

However, lets never ever consider the culture we are raising our children in & the complete lack of respect for human life it now seems to have.........it would be EASIER to just take away protected freedoms, our dealing with mental health issues for that matter

Video games do not cause someone to go out and murder multiple people. There are MILLIONS of people that play those games and they don't go on a mass shooting spree.

You never know. I play bejeweled for hours and sometimes get this insane urge to go into a jewelry store and match up all the stones. I never act on it of course but you could imagine if I did.

And there are millions who own guns who don't go on a mass shooting spree.

However, there is a common connection to these mass murders, and the murderers who commit them.

The connection is becoming quite obvious and difficult to refute.

I also think people do not understand the lack of information and biasm that scientist have with regards to psychotropic medicines. What I am interested in finding out is whether or not the perpetrators of these crimes are taking psychotropic medicines. There is some evidence that suggests that these medications actually induce the conditions they are trying to treat. I am wondering if they may have an influence on mentally ill people becoming violent. These medications are serious business; they change the actual brain chemistry and a lot of finding the right cocktail of these medications is educated trial and error.

I think violent video games is similar to the gun phenomenon. The majority of players do not do any violent acts. However there is a few percentage that might be affected by the constant violence in these games. Should there be regulations put into place on these games? Whether or not it is right or wrong is besides the point, because the video game industry is more lucrative than even the movie industry. It brings good revenue for the government and is a good stimulant to the economy. Financial reasons always out weigh any action for anything else in this country. Therefore I do not think anything is going to be done in regards to violent video games.

You never know. I play bejeweled for hours and sometimes get this insane urge to go into a jewelry store and match up all the stones. I never act on it of course but you could imagine if I did.

I often walk into candy stores smash candy up the candy and throw it around after playing a few rounds of candy crush

Guess we should have a background check, waiting period and maybe ongoing registration (by the NSA) of video games?

Exclusive: The Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis played violent video games including Call of Duty for up to 16 hours at a time and friends believe it could have pushed him towards becoming a mass murderer.

Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman 'obsessed with violent video games' - Telegraph

I have an automatic response to stomp on anything resembling a goomba and avoid hammer-throwing turtles like the plague.

I've been hearing a few news stories lately about new research which indicates that violent video games do have a link with a higher propensity for violence in real life. Not sure if it's proven, but there does appear to be a correlation.

Honestly I think its tough to blame the video games in these cases considering millions of people enjoy them and don't go on killing sprees. Unfourtuntly some people are just broken and yes maybe a game like call of duty triggered this attack but it could of also been a number of other things.

Like I said, not that this has anything to do with anything. That said, have you seen any of these videos? There's something troubling that "millions of people enjoy them"

I also think people do not understand the lack of information and biasm that scientist have with regards to psychotropic medicines. What I am interested in finding out is whether or not the perpetrators of these crimes are taking psychotropic medicines. There is some evidence that suggests that these medications actually induce the conditions they are trying to treat. I am wondering if they may have an influence on mentally ill people becoming violent. These medications are serious business; they change the actual brain chemistry and a lot of finding the right cocktail of these medications is educated trial and error.

I think violent video games is similar to the gun phenomenon. The majority of players do not do any violent acts. However there is a few percentage that might be affected by the constant violence in these games. Should there be regulations put into place on these games? Whether or not it is right or wrong is besides the point, because the video game industry is more lucrative than even the movie industry. It brings good revenue for the government and is a good stimulant to the economy. Financial reasons always out weigh any action for anything else in this country. Therefore I do not think anything is going to be done in regards to violent video games.

Yes, this guy was on them.

I've been hearing a few news stories lately about new research which indicates that violent video games do have a link with a higher propensity for violence in real life. Not sure if it's proven, but there does appear to be a correlation.

There is IN FACT this commonality between violent video games and the perpetrators of all these mass shootings of late. But this is not the only or biggest contributing factors, psychotropic drugs (as mentioned already by another poster) is another contributing factor as is PTSD.

Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman 'obsessed with violent video games' - Telegraph

A person with violent tendencies may gravitate to violent games, and violent movies, and torturing small animals but none of those things are the cause.

A person with violent tendencies may gravitate to violent games, and violent movies, and torturing small animals but none of those things are the cause.

It has come to light that Aaron Alexis was mentally ill. The mentally ill have a hard time disguising reality from fantasy. You add the 16 hour a day violent video games to the mix who are you to say that the fantasy world of the video game didn't cross over to reality in the minds of the mentally ill

I don't know Dr. Freud, it seems the evidence doesn't support your theory. A common thread has been emerging for some time.

Did he also own a phone and use it to call people?

Clearly the signals from that cell phone warped his brain and made him kill. Ban cell phones!

:screwy

It has come to light that Aaron Alexis was mentally ill. The mentally ill have a hard time disguising reality from fantasy. You add the 16 hour a day violent video games to the mix who are you to say that the fantasy world of the video game didn't cross over to reality in the minds of the mentally ill

Well that's the point exactly.

Who are you to say that the video game wasn't just a way to act out his murder spree fantasies? Are you saying that if violent video games were banned tomorrow we'd see a drop in homicidal rampages in the US? That regular law abiding citizens pick up the new edition of Call of Duty and are turned into someone that will go on a shooting spree?

Did he also own a phone and use it to call people?

Clearly the signals from that cell phone warped his brain and made him kill. Ban cell phones!

:screwy

I haven't seen where a single person has called for banning anything. But one does wonder why the MORBID fascination with such violence.

I don't know Dr. Freud, it seems the evidence doesn't support your theory. A common thread has been emerging for some time.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. It's just or more likely that violent individuals gravitate towards violent media as a way to act out their aggression.

I'm not sure how the idea that violent games cause violent action meshes with the fact that juvenile violent crime is at a 30 year low.

Sooner or later the correlation between psychotropic drugs, violent video games and mass shootings will be TOO obvious to dismiss. At this point, many are still in denial though.

Like I said, not that this has anything to do with anything. That said, have you seen any of these videos? There's something troubling that "millions of people enjoy them"

I agree its a poor reflection on western culture that we enjoy these violent games but I guess you could argue that society has enjoyed simulated violence in some fashion for thousands of years. From the Romans, the violent plays and stories from writers like Shakesphere, boxing, wrestling etc.

I agree its a poor reflection on western culture that we enjoy these violent games but I guess you could argue that society has enjoyed simulated violence in some fashion for thousands of years. From the Romans, the violent plays and stories from writers like Shakesphere, boxing, wrestling etc.

Yes, that is true. I do believe it is a particular segment of society at any given time that "enjoys" such misery and sufferings, of others of course.

Back
Top Bottom