• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A way to measure high-risk forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I was reading how a forum called "Conspiracy Theories" gets lots of infraction action. I also noticed how some people get dinged for the distinction between "Mainstream" and "Non-MSM". What is "mainstream" to one person, isn't "mainstream" to someone else. I would just prefer to stay away from forums that present a high risk. I don't see a good way to determine which they are.

I was reading how a forum called "Conspiracy Theories" gets lots of infraction action. I also noticed how some people get dinged for the distinction between "Mainstream" and "Non-MSM". What is "mainstream" to one person, isn't "mainstream" to someone else. I would just prefer to stay away from forums that present a high risk. I don't see a good way to determine which they are.

Look up the Vegas rule next.

Look up the Vegas rule next.

I thought awhile about where to post this question, but this was the best I could come up with. The objective is to stay as far way from stuff like that as possible. I'm just trying to figure out the best place to get an informed answer to the question. In this case, this was the "best peg I could find to fit the hole". It was meant as a general question designed to minimize risk. If there's a better way to phrase the question, that will work too.

Hare's an "informed answer".. This entire DP forum..

Middle East
Conspiracy Theories
Abortion
Mainstream
Non-MSM
Religious Discussions

Middle East
Conspiracy Theories
Abortion
Mainstream
Non-MSM
Religious Discussions

Consider me more informed!

throwing-graduation-cap.gif

The sub-forums are fairly self-explanatory. Mainstream is recognized local, national, and international news sources. Examples include: BBC News, NPR, CNN, Fox, etc., essentially trusted news sources recognized by the majority of people.

Non-mainstream would include blogs, internet sources like Breitbart or Huffington Post, news rags like the New York Post or gossip papers, and any other biased news source not typically recognized by people as of yet as a primary source of news.

As for getting dinged? It seems to me the vast majority of dings are for violating the basic rules of courtesy for this Forum.

It's an interesting question, and for what it's worth if a moderator could advise whether or not the system could provide, easily, a statistical analysis of either infractions per forum or reports per forum it might be of interest or benefit to members.

After a YEAR here, you might have noticed the Sticky at the TOP of Both the BN sections!

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...king-news-guildelines-updated-10-29-09-a.html

Here are the Rules and Guidelines to help you properly use the *Breaking News* forum:

I - All Forum Rules apply here: DP Forum Rules (Forum Rules)

II - All Opening Post threads posted in *BN* must have:

• Static link to an article from a bona-fide news organization.
• Dateline within the past 48 hours.
• Exact same title as the cited article.
• Quoted short excerpts from the article.
• Your own unique content to spur discussion.

III - The following types of articles may Not be posted in the *BN* forum:

• Articles that meet the above standards, but contain overly partisan commentary and/or are otherwise clearly biased.
Editorials and Op/Ed pieces.

IV - Definition of each type of *Breaking News*:

*BN* - Mainstream Media: A news service whose primary means of distribution is print, broadcast, or wire services. Local newspapers forced to switch to a digital format may aslo be placed here as well as AP stories reposted to the web free of additional commentary.
Examples Include: CNN, Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Associated Press

• *BN* - Non-MSM: A news service whose primary means of distribution is the internet or is found in a section of a MSM news service labeled as "Blogs[/u]".
Examples Include: The Drudge Report, Huffington Post, ABC News Blog, YouTube

V - R.I.P. Tag rules
• As per this announcement, threads marked with the R.I.P. Tag are for respectful remembrance of the dead and should be approached with the same etiquette one would show at a funeral.
• Users may make a standard thread with the same story as used in the R.I.P. thread, and vise versa.

If you see a thread in BN that you believe does not meet these requirements, please use the "Report Post" feature to alert the Moderation Team. The Debate Politics staff reserves the right to move any thread that is considered in violation of the *Breaking News* Rules and Guidelines or is mis-filed.

* This is not the place to discuss the Israel/Palestine situation. Israel and Palestine are in the Middle East and there is a specific forum for this discussion. Any mention of the Israel/Palestine conflict in any of the Breaking News Forums will result in a B/F/T infraction. This new rule is firm and there will be no "wiggle room" in terms of the I/P conflict being discussed in any forum other than the ME Forum.

Edit Log:
10/29/12 - Added "Static" to the link which means links never change. Links to a news page that changes often are unwelcome.
04/06/13 - Added I/P notation
What's amazing to me is how many people Don't get Dinged for posting non-MSMs as MSM.
ie, this recent 2-week/513 poster from HuffingtonPost, Specifically named as Non-MSM.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...nks-bill-nye-isnt-real-scientist-w-260-a.html
/http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaking-news-mainstream-media/251390-sarah-palin-thinks-bill-nye-isnt-real-scientist-w-260-a.html/

To be safe, I put my last CNBC in non-MSM.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...nezuela-s-woes-mounting-turns-lights-off.html

But here's someone who posted CNBC's "Commentary" section as MSM, which is dicey as a source on MSM, and a clear Loser on posting editorial content as 'BN.' 13 pages, Still running since 4/26.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...dia/252057-donald-trump-crushed-ted-cruz.html
The Dead give-away it's Editorial content is/Should have been the title of course. "HOW....", a News analysis.

So you're hardly alone in your confusion, but these should be no-brainers for experienced posters.

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb is whenever you post in a forum that you may not be familiar with, check and see if there are any "Stuck" threads towards the top. Often any special rules or parameters for that sub-forum are listed in those threads. Sub-forums that have special rules or parameters:

ME Forum
Religious Discussions
Philosophical Discussions
All Breaking News Forums
Conspiracy Theory Forum

If after reading the "Stuck" thread and you have any questions, feel free to PM a Moderator.
Abortion Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom