• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A way to benefit America?

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I read about this concept in a book a while ago and thought that it was an interesting idea and I'd like to know what you think of it.

One of the biggest problems in this country is our politicians. They're corrupt. If they are not corrupt when they first enter into politics they eventually become corrupt. So here's an idea that might make them less corruptible. When a politician is elected take ALL of their cash, ALL of their assets, liquidate it and put it into the stock market. They get free food, housing, necessities etc etc during their term of office. This will tie how well the country does directly to them. If the country does well, they do well by the time they leave office. If they do poorly then they're essentially broke when they get out of office. And since they don't know whether or not they will be re-elected or not they can't just pick and choose when to leave office.

This will imo force politicians to start thinking about long term effects of policies. Right now they look at the short term as that short term is easier to manipulate than long term ideas. The only times that a politician should be looking at the short term is for emergencies. Rest of the time they should be looking at long term goals. This will also attract people that actually want to do good for the country instead of people like Hillary and Trump who are just looking to make more money and grab more power for themselves.

Note: I am not interested in the logistics of how to accomplish this at this time. I'm just looking at the basics of this idea for the moment.

I read about this concept in a book a while ago and thought that it was an interesting idea and I'd like to know what you think of it.

One of the biggest problems in this country is our politicians. They're corrupt. If they are not corrupt when they first enter into politics they eventually become corrupt. So here's an idea that might make them less corruptible. When a politician is elected take ALL of their cash, ALL of their assets, liquidate it and put it into the stock market. They get free food, housing, necessities etc etc during their term of office. This will tie how well the country does directly to them. If the country does well, they do well by the time they leave office. If they do poorly then they're essentially broke when they get out of office. And since they don't know whether or not they will be re-elected or not they can't just pick and choose when to leave office.

This will imo force politicians to start thinking about long term effects of policies. Right now they look at the short term as that short term is easier to manipulate than long term ideas. The only times that a politician should be looking at the short term is for emergencies. Rest of the time they should be looking at long term goals. This will also attract people that actually want to do good for the country instead of people like Hillary and Trump who are just looking to make more money and grab more power for themselves.

Note: I am not interested in the logistics of how to accomplish this at this time. I'm just looking at the basics of this idea for the moment.

No 10 year period has ever been a negative in the stock market and the average term of a representative is 9.1 years and 10.2 for a senator. So it seems like a wasted effort.

This will tie how well the country does directly to them. If the country does well, they do well by the time they leave office.

If we assume that the good of the country is defined by maximising stock growth in the next 4-12 years, sure :confused: It would be an incentive to favour business owners and investors - a fraction of the population - at the expense of everyone else, including future generations.

If their only pay is basic necessities plus whatever they get off the market at the end, it would also mean that remuneration for already-wealthy politicians would vastly exceed remuneration for poor politicians. If that's not their only pay, it'd be little different from current reality; most politicians likely invest much of their wealth already.

Last edited:

Which will just make them favor businesses.

There is no way to fix democracy, it's an inherently corrupting system.

I have a better idea, term limits.

We could also forbid them any investments in the stock market during their tenure, and no special benefits whatsoever. They use the same health insurance system as everyone else and, no retirement benefits.

Well that is about the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time.
How about some more Rational:
Limit how much each candidate can spend on election/re-election.
Do not allow corporations to donate to any candidate, corporations are not voters or citizens.
End the Lobby system, where most corruption takes place.
and last but not least, hold those elected Reps accountable and if they go against the will of those that elected them then vote them out of office.

cant people just bribe them wiht gifts once ther out of office in exchange for favors while ther in?

Not a bad idea.

Related, I think corporations can contribute as much as they like to any and all political causes and individuals, BUT those contributions shall be taxed at a very high rate with the revenues going into the general fund.

You might want to look at additional indices like per capita gdp et alias.

Back
Top Bottom