• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A tale of two special prosecutors....

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
This is a tale of two special prosecutors by the name of Starr and Fitgerald....

When Mr Starr was the special prosecutor in the Clinton investigations he was pounded constantly by the left as someone who would do or say anything to get Clinton..........

Mr Fitzgerald the present special prosecutor in the Bush administration investigations and you have not heard anyone from the right pounding him in any way.........

I guess its a matter of class.....the Right has it........The left does not......

Navy Pride said:
This is a tale of two special prosecutors by the name of Starr and Fitgerald....

When Mr Starr was the special prosecutor in the Clinton investigations he was pounded constantly by the left as someone who would do or say anything to get Clinton..........

Mr Fitzgerald the present special prosecutor in the Bush administration investigations and you have not heard anyone from the right pounding him in any way.........

I guess its a matter of class.....the Right has it........The left does not......

Could you spew any more partisan drivel? Read one of Stu Ghatze's posts lately? :shock:

jallman said:
Could you spew any more partisan drivel? Read one of Stu Ghatze's posts lately? :shock:

He does have a point, I have not heard anywhere near the angry rhetoric that we heard during that investigation, and it reeks of hypocrisy. Republicans have just allowed the system to work, and have not tried to stand in the way of getting to the truth, it's refreshing.

Deegan said:
He does have a point, I have not heard anywhere near the angry rhetoric that we heard during that investigation, and it reeks of hypocrisy. Republicans have just allowed the system to work, and have not tried to stand in the way of getting to the truth, it's refreshing.

Yeah, but true class would have let the situation go without splitting hairs. Instead though, the Repubs are going after Wilson and Plame...its no different.

jallman said:
Yeah, but true class would have let the situation go without splitting hairs. Instead though, the Repubs are going after Wilson and Plame...its no different.

Where do you get "Repubs" this was a few people, not all "Repubs", let's just be clear on this.

Deegan said:
Where do you get "Repubs" this was a few people, not all "Repubs", let's just be clear on this.

then I would suggest that the "repubs" who werent part of that few be just as respectful of the dems who arent part of the few. Its all partisan crap.

Navy Pride said:

Ken Starr's investigation was a bumbling leak-fest. Fitzgerald's isn't. Plus, Fitzgerald was appointed by John Ashcroft after Ashcroft recused himself.

Also, how do account for Tom DeLay's "classy" words against Ronnie Earl?

DeLay bitterly denounced the charge as baseless and defiantly called the prosecutor, Ronnie Earle, "an unabashed partisan zealot" engaging in "personal revenge" because DeLay helped elect a Republican majority to the Texas House in 2002. "I have the facts, the law and the truth on my side," DeLay said, reading from a statement, before declining to answer questions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/28/AR2005092800270.html

DeLay called Earle "a partisan fanatic" bent on punishing him for that success.

If convicted, DeLay could face up to two years in prison and fines up to $10,000.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/28/delay/

He's one classy guy! :roll:

jallman said:

I just calls em as I sees em.........You can't deny how the left went after Starr and how no one on the right has gone after Fitzgerald when the roles are reversed and a Republican in in the cross eye of the gun sight.........

hipsterdufus said:
Ken Starr's investigation was a bumbling leak-fest. Fitzgerald's isn't. Plus, Fitzgerald was appointed by John Ashcroft after Ashcroft recused himself.

DeLay bitterly denounced the charge as baseless and defiantly called the prosecutor, Ronnie Earle, "an unabashed partisan zealot" engaging in "personal revenge" because DeLay helped elect a Republican majority to the Texas House in 2002. "I have the facts, the law and the truth on my side," DeLay said, reading from a statement, before declining to answer questions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/28/AR2005092800270.html

If convicted, DeLay could face up to two years in prison and fines up to $10,000.

This is nothing more then the criminality of politics, and it's really a sad waste of time, money, and reputations, Clinton's was probably the start of this new era. You people act as if he killed his girlfriend in a druken stuper or something........Oh, that Ted Kennedy, sorry.;)

Deegan said:
You people act as if he killed his girlfriend in a druken stuper or something........Oh, that Ted Kennedy, sorry.;)

I thought it was Laura Bush. Oh, that was her boyfriend.

Move On...

hipsterdufus said:
I thought it was Laura Bush. Oh, that was her boyfriend.

Move On...

She was neither drunk, nor fled the scene, bad comparison.

Move on.org....

The reason why no one is going against Fitzgerald is because he is a career professional with a stellar prosecutorial record (9/11 prosecutions, prosecutions against the Ryan and Daley administrations in Illinois). He is also conducting an investigation that is nearly leak-free.

Starr, on the other hand, did not act in the same vein. He either couldn't control, or allowed leaks from his investigation; when it turned out that there was no evidence of wrongdoing regarding the Clintons and land deals, he turned to the President's sex life; he maintained private clients (including several in the tobacco industry) with interests in opposition to the Clinton while he was acting as "independent" counsel; prior to being appointed prosecutor for the Whitewater case, Starr was paid to advise Paula Jones on the sexual harrassment suit; "Hunting the President" and Susan McDougal also allege that Ken Starr pressured her to lie under oath; and there are many other allegations of direct impropriety surrounding Starr.

The initial independent counsel (who was replaced by a conservative three-judge panel) Robert Fiske was a moderate Republican and would have done well in his role. However, something about Clinton ticks conservatives off, and anything less than a witch-hunt was inadequate. So, Fiske had to go.

Why aren't conservatives attacking Fitzgerald? Because he's clean. He's a boy scout. There is nothing to attack.

hipsterdufus said:

Ken Starr was appointed by Janet Reno and the Hacks in the Clinton Adminstration like Carville and Begala constantly badgered him.........

Name me one Republican pundit who has gone after Fitgerald in that manner........

Earle is a partisan fantatic.........He is a democrat in a democratic district who has spoken at democratic fund raisers.........He is a partisan hack who has been after Delay for years and Delay has out foxed him in every instance......................Delay won't even go to trial and if he does it will be thrown out..........Book it........

Deegan said:
Consider this? Fitzie made damn sure that there weren't any leaks. Starr made damn sure there were a million leaks...Can you acknowledge this fact?

Let's also remember that Starr spent more than $60 million dollars and could only come up with a man lying about having sex? Fitzie, on the other hand played it non-partisan (unlike Starr), kept a tight lid on the proceedings, and then caught Libby in multiple lies that had everything to do with starting a war and killing thousands and thousands of people.

Comparing Starr to Fitzie is dumb, dumb, dumb, no offense intended.

Plus, I can't stop reminding those of you still obsessed with Clinton that these threads are not about Clinton! Get over it once and for all!

Don't you know how weak it is to cover up Bush's criminals with references to anything other than this topic? Yikes!

26 X World Champs said:
Consider this? Fitzie made damn sure that there weren't any leaks. Starr made damn sure there were a million leaks...Can you acknowledge this fact?

Let's also remember that Starr spent more than $60 million dollars and could only come up with a man lying about having sex? Fitzie, on the other hand played it non-partisan (unlike Starr), kept a tight lid on the proceedings, and then caught Libby in multiple lies that had everything to do with starting a war and killing thousands and thousands of people.

Plus, I can't stop reminding those of you still obsessed with Clinton that these threads are not about Clinton! Get over it once and for all!

Don't you know how weak it is to cover up Bush's criminals with references to anything other than this topic? Yikes!

What ever are you on about, "then caught Libby in multiple lies that had everything to do with starting a war and killing thousands and thousands of people." where do you get this information? First off, there are more then a few governments that still believe this yellowcake was purchased, and the Brits are one of those. Second, Wilson was caught in one lie after another, it's all right there in the Senate intelligence report, you ever bother reading that? Finally, if you don't see how the Clinton scandal compares with this one, you're just not being honest with yourself, or anyone here. As I said, it was very similar, and it was what started this whole era of the criminality of politics. You also fail to remember the stress that Starr was constantly under, and that he hit more walls, and got much less help in his investigation, what was it again.....267 "I don't recalls" you try running a successful investigation with that kind of cooperation. Yikes indeed!:roll:

26 X World Champs said:

Why would anyone aknowledge that when it is not a fact?

Let's also remember that Starr spent more than $60 million dollars and could only come up with a man lying about having sex?

Where on earth did you get that idea? Did you forget Hubbel and Dale and the sitting governor. Of course the Bush administration cooperated while the Clinton adminsitration obstucted which kicks the bill up.

Fitzie, on the other hand played it non-partisan (unlike Starr),

Give me an example of this partisianship.

kept a tight lid on the proceedings, and then caught Libby in multiple lies that had everything to do with starting a war and killing thousands and thousands of people.

What did it have to do with starting a war?

Actually they are quite comparable, they both stuck to the law and held people accountable.

You seem to be pretty involved in him.

I think it is quite topical to discuss how a Republican White House faced the music and cooperated with investigations while the Democrats don't. Recall Libby turn over all his notes when first asked, while the Clinton administration fought at every turn and ran the cost up.

Navy Pride said:
Ken Starr was appointed by Janet Reno and the Hacks in the Clinton Adminstration like Carville and Begala constantly badgered him.........

Ken Starr was not appointed by Janet Reno. He was appointed by a three-judge panel to replace Robert Fiske (who was appointed by Janet Reno). The three judge panel was appointed directly by William Rehnquist, and was made up of David Sentelle, John Butzner Jr. and Peter Fay.

"In naming Starr, the panel claimed to be reaffirming the principle that the executive branch should have no hand in appointing independent counsels. However charges soon emerged that Judge Sentelle, formerly an active Republican, had acted in a partisan manner in naming Starr shortly after a lunch meeting with two of Fiske's critics, North Carolina Senators Lauch Faircloth and Jesse Helms."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/counsel/office/special.html

Earle is a partisan fantatic.........He is a democrat in a democratic district who has spoken at democratic fund raisers.........He is a partisan hack who has been after Delay for years and Delay has out foxed him in every instance......................Delay won't even go to trial and if he does it will be thrown out..........Book it........

I think this latter part simply proves my point. If Patrick Fitzgerald were a partisan, conservatives would be attacking him.

Stinger said:
I think it is quite topical to discuss how a Republican White House faced the music and cooperated with investigations while the Democrats don't. Recall Libby turn over all his notes when first asked, while the Clinton administration fought at every turn and ran the cost up.

Perjury, obstruction of justice, and false statements to FBI agents... why, that's the very definition of cooperation.

Navy Pride said:

Name me one Republican pundit who has gone after Fitgerald in that manner........

On Sunday, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) seemed to be laying the groundwork for a public relations assault against Fitzgerald during an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Hutchison suggested that Fitzgerald -- whom she did not mention by name -- was trying to win indictments on legal technicalities in order to show some result for the years he has been on the case

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sweet/cst-nws-sweet26.html

Navy Pride said:

Oh give me a break, Navy Pride. Yeah, a party who has its top adminstration employees going out of their way to smear someone who spoke against them--that's real class. Putting out a commercial that shows Max Cleland (a man who lost 3 limbs in Vietnam) and then shows Osama bin Laden, and stating that Cleland is soft on terrorism just because he did not support the Patriot Act--that's real class. Smearing someone in your own party (McCain) when he was up against Bush by saying he had a love child with some woman, when it was NOT true--that's real class.

What you fail to pay attention to is the fact that THIS president has complimented Fitzgerald throughout the investigation. What would it look like if the republicans started attacking him? Not too good.

A matter of class? LMAO :2rofll:

Navy Pride said:

Navy Pride, ..Its NOT even a tale at all,.. it is patently quite true, & even Bush gave Fitzgerald the Carte Blanch treatment, look anywhere, & into anybody, & told everybody to co-operate with Fitzgerald!

Stu Ghatze said:
Navy Pride, ..Its NOT even a tale at all,.. it is patently quite true, & even Bush gave Fitzgerald the Carte Blanch treatment, look anywhere, & into anybody, & told everybody to co-operate with Fitzgerald!

I credit the president for saying that.
Of course the question is, just like in Watergate, "what did the president know, and when did he know it?" You could also add the VP to that list.

Or maybe it is a matter of... the truth!

Are you claiming Starr wasn't partisan, or claiming Fitz was? Or just doing the usual distraction from the real issue: LIBBY GOT INDICTED FOR BEING PART OF THE TWISTING OF LIES TO GET THIS IRAQ WAR STARTED WHEN CHENEY WANTED IT TO BE!

You ditto-heads make me laugh!

Navy Pride said:

Russell Hammond said:
Perjury, obstruction of justice, and false statements to FBI agents... why, that's the very definition of cooperation.

One person, who turned over all his notes and for all we know at this point did not commit those offenses but if he did, so be it he will face the music. What this administration did not do is hide evidence, claim executive privlege, urge others to lie and adopted the "I can't recall" strategy. Fitzgerald has been clear that everyone cooperated with the investigation except for perhaps Libby and he was acting on his own.

Stinger said:
One person, who turned over all his notes and for all we know at this point did not commit those offenses but if he did, so be it he will face the music. What this administration did not do is hide evidence, claim executive privlege, urge others to lie and adopted the "I can't recall" strategy. Fitzgerald has been clear that everyone cooperated with the investigation except for perhaps Libby and he was acting on his own.
I find it remarkeable that you all know everything about this case! You've got insider information that the rest of the world does not have. You write your posts as facts when in truth your posts are pure speculation and have no way of being proven true at this time.

For example, how in God's name can you possibly know that "everyone cooperated"? This statement is false, unprovable either way at this juncture.

The investigation continues and then there will be a trial. Until then all of our opions are just that, opinions.

Is it possible for us to express things as our opinion rather than writing them as if they are indisputable facts?

Back
Top Bottom