• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A student was filmed putting American flags in a trash bag on 9/11. He says he was protesting Islamophobia.

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Removing flags from a 911 memorial, what was this person thinking?

His plan, Alkilani said in an earlier statement, was never to “steal” or remove the small American flags from the area. Instead, he intended to place the plastic bags on the lawn along with statistics “explaining the human cost of 9/11 in the past 20 years,” referencing the crimes against Islamic Americans as well as those killed and displaced in countries invaded by the United States following the 2001 attacks.

If you're going to trash flags they should probably be your own...

Alkilani, a computer science senior, said he did remove some of the flags from the campus lawn, each of which represented a person killed during the country’s deadliest terrorist attacks.
Yeah. That doesn't help. Don't do that.

Protesting using a flag. Fine.
Stealing flags. Not fine.

Reminds me of the thread where someone is defending his right to grab flags from people who aren't behaving up to his patriotic standards.

Well the answer to "what was he thinking" was included in your link there.

His plan, Alkilani said in an earlier statement, was never to “steal” or remove the small American flags from the area. Instead, he intended to place the plastic bags on the lawn along with statistics “explaining the human cost of 9/11 in the past 20 years,” referencing the crimes against Islamic Americans as well as those killed and displaced in countries invaded by the United States following the 2001 attacks.

“Any memorial of 9/11 that does not contend with these facts is not only incomplete, but it also amplifies pro-imperialist sentiment and actively disrespects those who have died because of American Invasion,” Alkilani said in the statement.

Now, he did this in an incredibly insensitive and stupid way. Probably should have thought this through a bit more. I'm sure there's ways he could have also brought attention to the 20 years that followed 9/11 without stealing the flags. Apparently he's gotten death threats for his stupid stunt as well. Which also is overboard.

It makes perfect sense, and is in line with the trend to make the US a more Woke Union. The kid is simply pointing out what most are overlooking, and which infamous kneelers Colin Kaepernick and Megan Rapinoe have been pointing out: the US Flag is as unsettling as the Confederate Battle Flag. Purging the US Flag cleanses the Union.

Well the answer to "what was he thinking" was included in your link there.

Now, he did this in an incredibly insensitive and stupid way. Probably should have thought this through a bit more. I'm sure there's ways he could have also brought attention to the 20 years that followed 9/11 without stealing the flags. Apparently he's gotten death threats for his stupid stunt as well. Which also is overboard.
My point was he was not thinking. Trashing any memorial will result in a public backlash
There are avenues he could have taken to support his view without trashing a memorial and the event that changed history

Protesting using a flag. Fine.
Stealing flags. Not fine.

Reminds me of the thread where someone is defending his right to grab flags from people who aren't behaving up to his patriotic standards.
Myself I would never burn or trash a flag. People have that right under free speech

If you're going to trash flags they should probably be your own...

Alkilani, a computer science senior, said he did remove some of the flags from the campus lawn, each of which represented a person killed during the country’s deadliest terrorist attacks.
Yeah. That doesn't help. Don't do that.
Its bad optics for sure. That is not helping the point he was trying to make.

In terms of the level of crime, this is probably petty theft.

It will be interesting to see how far this is pursued. Pre social media age this stunt would have resulted in a few hours of service work on campus and done. With all the attention this is getting I wonder if charges will be filled. This may go on his permanent record

So, what was the total value of the property he swiped?

I ask because that's the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony, which is the only actual question in this case.

My point was he was not thinking. Trashing any memorial will result in a public backlash
There are avenues he could have taken to support his view without trashing a memorial and the event that changed history

Trashing the US Flag may provoke a backlash from certain quarters, but it can also elevate this martyr to Sainthood in the Liberal World, earning him a spot in the Woke Hall of Fame

Its bad optics for sure. That is not helping the point he was trying to make.

In terms of the level of crime, this is probably petty theft.
And provides fodder for racists. His actions will be used by Muslim haters and their agenda

Reactions: Bum
He sounds like he has a functioning brain.

I'd wager he's extremely lonely in the Reality TeeVee Nayshun.(y)

Of course, he has a well functioning brain. I actually envy him. If I were not a Trumpist I would make sure I trash a US Flag each morning as a Woke Ritual

And provides fodder for racists. His actions will be used by Muslim haters and their agenda
They certainly will. As I said, this was a terribly poor plan on his part. Kid ****ed up. There were ways he could have went about this to get his point across without destroying a 9/11 memorial.

But it will also bring closer the day the Adoration of the abominable US Flag is a thing of the past. Are Liberals done yet with the new Woke Flag that will replace the Stars and Stripes?

They certainly will. As I said, this was a terribly poor plan on his part. Kid ****ed up. There were ways he could have went about this to get his point across without destroying a 9/11 memorial.

Get real, the 9/11 memorial itself is the abomination to that kid

I ask because that's the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony, which is the only actual question in this case.

Im not sure of the total cost, but 2,977 American flags taken; figure, what? $2-$5 a piece? ( according to where you buy it)

All depends on if the flag owners want to press charges I guess, and if a prosecutor will push the issue.

Im not sure of the total cost, but 2,977 American flags taken; figure, what? $2-$5 a piece? ( according to where you buy it)

All depends on if the flag owners want to press charges I guess, and if a prosecutor will push the issue.

Okay, then it's a felony.

Reactions: Bum

I think he got only a fraction of them. I'm not sure he got them all.

Regardless, should have thought this one out first. But college kids ain't exactly noted for their wisdom.

lol... I didn't even see the number of flags. The idiocy of the justification got me.

It's 2,977 flags.

"My intent wasn't to steal".... yeah, you just spent God knows how long picking up almost three thousand flags and throwing them out. But you weren't intending to steal them. Right. Enjoy your felony case, idiot.

Back
Top Bottom