• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A State Senator Wore A Mask That Looked Like A Confederate Flag. He Said He "Did Not Intend To Offen

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
A State Senator Wore A Mask That Looked Like A Confederate Flag. He Said He "Did Not Intend To Offen

Michigan state senator Dale Zorn initially denied that the mask was a Confederate flag, but later apologized for his "choice of pattern."

"I did not intend to offend anyone; however, I realize that I did, and for that I am sorry," he wrote. "My actions were an error in judgment for which there are no excuses and I will learn from this episode."

Zorn did not, however, deny that the mask's pattern resembled a Confederate flag, and said in an interview with local TV station WLSN at the state capitol Friday that he knew it would probably "raise some eyebrows." Zorn said the mask was made by his wife and was not a Confederate flag, but thought it was intended to resemble the state flags of Tennessee or Kentucky.

It was not immediately clear why Zorn would have worn a mask resembling either state flag.

Michigan State Senator Apologizes For Mask Resembling Confederate Flag

Some thoughts and a further explanation from State Senator Zorn's wife would interest me!

Dale Zorn - Wikipedia

Re: A State Senator Wore A Mask That Looked Like A Confederate Flag. He Said He "Did Not Intend To O

I don't buy the excuse. Kentucky's flag is very very different, it's blue. Tennessee is red, but it just has 3 stars on it, so it doesn't look a whole lot like the Confederate Flag.

Re: A State Senator Wore A Mask That Looked Like A Confederate Flag. He Said He "Did Not Intend To O

Oh...I think his own words are more than telling;

Zorn told WLSN Friday that even if his mask did bear the Confederate flag, "we should be talking about teaching our national history in schools and that’s part of our national history and it’s something we can’t just throw away because it is part of our history."

"If we want to make sure that the atrocities that happened during that time doesn’t happen again, we should be teaching it," he said. "Our kids should know what that flag stands for.”

"What does that flag stand for?" the reporter asked, to which Zorn responded, "The Confederacy."

Those statements come from a man that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and explaining that he stole the cookies because he wanted to study their texture, he wanted to sort out the different ingredients in the cookie, the vanilla, the brown sugar, the chocolate chips, etc. He's basically admitted that his intention was to glorify the confederacy but that it was for the sake of 'education' so that we don't make the same mistakes again. What bull****.

Last edited:

Zorn: Honey, does this mask, that you made for me, make me look racist?

Wife: Not at all, dear - I used that old flag you used to fly on your pickup truck.

I don't buy the excuse. Kentucky's flag is very very different, it's blue. Tennessee is red, but it just has 3 stars on it, so it doesn't look a whole lot like the Confederate Flag.

MS state flag, when folded, could be mistaken as one.

MS state flag, when folded, could be mistaken as one.

The Mississippi flag basically is the confederate flag.....or as close as they could make it.

Back
Top Bottom