• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.

Right after Musk said he would vote Republican, he also said he totally expected the Dem propaganda machine to come after him.
He was correct.
I like this guy. Curious what this "Centrist Populism" is.
Hes sucking up for attention. "Me! Me! Look at me!" I didnt realize he might be juvenile enough to say something deliberately provocative and then ask to be talked about over it.
Considering how unlikely it is that this sexual misconduct is his one and only, he might regret asking to be the focus of attention.

Forklift batteries cost 13,000 for Crown Lifts, same battery that's being used in cars, more or less.

I wholeheartedly agree with nuclear tech. But even if we decided TODAY, and had that tech today, and struck dirt tomorrow, it'd be a good 8 years before energy starts being generated in those new facilities.

In 8 years, hydrogen will be the solution to our energy problems, and some cars will be running reclaimed Co2 fuels.

I envision a future where houses have their own hydrogen power cells, so we don't need to waste electricity charging miles of lines.

Well, since you're not responding:

Forklifts generally use LEAD-ACID batteries, and they usually use PACKS of them, like ten, twelves, eighteen of them, wired in series.
The introduction of Li-Ion battery systems for forklifts is very new, and rare.

Lead acid batteries have been a capable solution for years, and they continue to dominate the market today. It is estimated that lead acid batteries power 90 percent of electric forklifts in operation.

If we are going to talk about EV batteries, might be a good idea to not compare them to forklifts.
Here's the funny part for me: a fellow motorhead buddy right down my street is a forklift repair tech.

I'll see if I can pick his brain on some forklift stuff.

----EV's do NOT use lead-acid batteries unless we're talking about those glorified golf cart types or electric cars from the early 1900's.

Last edited:
I hope the woman took the cash and not TSLA stock options!

If he feels he needs to move SpaceX out of the country, he loses that sweet deal he has with NASA's launch facilities. Not gonna happen.

And Tesla is garbage.

View attachment 67391862
Posting bad stock market results is not a good idea....unless you voted for Trump.

zeg4ywn94p091.png

Don't shop anywhere that Musk has an investment! This tool can be applied broadly to any such unethical
name.

Wait a sec. A Crown forklift?
Give us the exact tech specs on one of those batteries please.
Just pick ANY Crown forklift model you like, okay?
He'll if I know. I know they're Lithium ion batteries. I'd have to see tomorrow exactly what battery...but they cost a pretty penny to replace.

Well, since you're not responding:

Forklifts generally use LEAD-ACID batteries, and they usually use PACKS of them, like ten, twelves, eighteen of them, wired in series.
The introduction of Li-Ion battery systems for forklifts is very new, and rare.

Lead acid batteries have been a capable solution for years, and they continue to dominate the market today. It is estimated that lead acid batteries power 90 percent of electric forklifts in operation.

If we are going to talk about EV batteries, might be a good idea to not compare them to forklifts.
Here's the funny part for me: a fellow motorhead buddy right down my street is a forklift repair tech.

I'll see if I can pick his brain on some forklift stuff.

----EV's do NOT use lead-acid batteries unless we're talking about those glorified golf cart types or electric cars from the early 1900's.
The old Toyotas we us had lead acid.

We run smaller, lighter lift trucks now, that use Lithium ion. They weight a couple thousand pounds less than those old Toyota. We started phasing out the old lifts 5, maybe 8 years ago?

Our DCs still use the older, bigger lifts. We went smaller in the clubs to better work in narrower aisles.

The old Toyotas we us had lead acid.

We run smaller, lighter lift trucks now, that use Lithium ion. They weight a couple thousand pounds less than those old Toyota. We started phasing out the old lifts 5, maybe 8 years ago?

Our DCs still use the older, bigger lifts. We went smaller in the clubs to better work in narrower aisles.

Nissan is still overpricing their own battery packs, and since our last exchange here I went to dig some and found out that two or three third party startups
are beginning to offer cheaper replacements.

Watching tech shake stuff out is old hat for me, because I watched similar turf battles and dueling proprietary methodologies for a long time in video.
I am convinced that in a few years a consortium of manufacturers will settle on a common core. They'll have to, because it isn't possible to put a patent on
the use of battery packs. They can try to threaten warranty void if third party solutions get used but that won't work any better with electric cars than
it would with a DeWalt electric drill.
So at some point in the near future, cars will have choices in battery systems which include third party manufacturers and refurbishers, because to fight that
would be like requiring a Ford to use one kind of exclusive gasoline that does not work in a Chevy, etc.
It doesn't even matter what legal avenues they pursue because in the end it's the market that will decide where folks get their batteries from, and price will determine the winners...
price, reliability and performance.

I am not saying that there will not be growing pains...that would also be irrational and unrealistic.
I'm saying that growing pains or no, the market and good old Yankee ingenuity will find a way, unless the Chinese beat us to it....
...which they may.

Clubs? You a lighting rigger or something? Forgive if you told me, I might have forgotten.

I reread the article in Space.com.

Has anyone noted yet, that the Business Insider "scoop" was based on one woman's story about her friend... not herself? This is secondhand hearsay at this point. Apparently there is no proof there was a payoff, even. Not that I've seen so far.

Nissan is still overpricing their own battery packs, and since our last exchange here I went to dig some and found out that two or three third party startups
are beginning to offer cheaper replacements.

Watching tech shake stuff out is old hat for me, because I watched similar turf battles and dueling proprietary methodologies for a long time in video.
I am convinced that in a few years a consortium of manufacturers will settle on a common core. They'll have to, because it isn't possible to put a patent on
the use of battery packs. They can try to threaten warranty void if third party solutions get used but that won't work any better with electric cars than
it would with a DeWalt electric drill.
So at some point in the near future, cars will have choices in battery systems which include third party manufacturers and refurbishers, because to fight that
would be like requiring a Ford to use one kind of exclusive gasoline that does not work in a Chevy, etc.
It doesn't even matter what legal avenues they pursue because in the end it's the market that will decide where folks get their batteries from, and price will determine the winners...
price, reliability and performance.

I am not saying that there will not be growing pains...that would also be irrational and unrealistic.
I'm saying that growing pains or no, the market and good old Yankee ingenuity will find a way, unless the Chinese beat us to it....
...which they may.
Yeah, I saw the same with camera battery packs. The Nikon battery for dslrs was darn near 200$, for what was, essentially, 3 rechargeable energizer Lithium batteries. Then knock offs came onto the scene, at half price. Bought one, it sucked. But the Nikon packs dropped in price, 120, give or take. Still a lot of money, for what is essentially, 3 AA batteries.

My only point to all of this is, I think Musk doesn't make affordable EVs because of this. He's afraid everyday Americans will become dissolusioned with the tech when they've gotta start replacing batteries, and when they have to choose between charging the car and running the AC. Nuclear is VERY unpopular for many (most?) Americans. Irrationaly so, even.

My neighbor drives a P92 s, I think it is? The 4 door tesla. He babies it. Keeps it in the garage. I wanted him and I to line up for a little drag race action, just to see how far off the SHO is, but he won't. He drives it 3 days a week. And none at all in the winter. I asked him why...he's terrified of the cost to replace the battery, and he also said running the heater kills milleage, for winter driving.

I wager most Tesla owners aren't in that boat. It's more a utilitarian choice, than status symbol/pride.

Yeah, I saw the same with camera battery packs. The Nikon battery for dslrs was darn near 200$, for what was, essentially, 3 rechargeable energizer Lithium batteries. Then knock offs came onto the scene, at half price. Bought one, it sucked. But the Nikon packs dropped in price, 120, give or take. Still a lot of money, for what is essentially, 3 AA batteries.

My only point to all of this is, I think Musk doesn't make affordable EVs because of this. He's afraid everyday Americans will become dissolusioned with the tech when they've gotta start replacing batteries, and when they have to choose between charging the car and running the AC. Nuclear is VERY unpopular for many (most?) Americans. Irrationaly so, even.

My neighbor drives a P92 s, I think it is? The 4 door tesla. He babies it. Keeps it in the garage. I wanted him and I to line up for a little drag race action, just to see how far off the SHO is, but he won't. He drives it 3 days a week. And none at all in the winter. I asked him why...he's terrified of the cost to replace the battery, and he also said running the heater kills milleage, for winter driving.

I wager most Tesla owners aren't in that boat. It's more a utilitarian choice, than status symbol/pride.

Been a while since I used a DSLR to shoot video.
I always avoided it for a couple of reasons...(1) due to DSLR licensing issues with the folks who created the video codecs, a DSLR is limited to either 29 minutes or 4GB of data PER file.
After that the camera either makes a new file or recording STOPS and has to be restarted again. (2) The battery issue, which TELEVISION (video) cameras solve neatly by providing an easy to use
external DC power port. Some DSLR's offer a good one, others make you use a stupid "dummy battery" which is sometimes worse than changing out the battery in the first place...you can't just plug in
an external supply in most models. The DC power port issue is slowly maturing now but I just decided to avoid DSLR for video if possible. (3) Wild differences in voltages!
Video cameras are generally either 7.2 volts DC or 12 volts DC....period.

Now, what on Earth does this have to do with EV's? Simple....EV's are becoming more and more like iPhones or DSLR's, no user serviceable anything, proprietary everything, magical dark art mystery
surrounding something as mundane as a goddam battery pack, NO external ports that are useable in motion.
So again, I see this eventually going either fully down the rabbit hole with too much woo woo, which will hurt the EV industry in the long run as owners lose patience with the muddling around,
when all they want to do is just get in and DRIVE the muh-fuggin car...OR...it might mature into the realization that these are just another battery operated APPLIANCE which deserves and needs STANDARDIZATION, so that people can remedy running out of juice the same way regular car owners do....ANY source of power available anywhere and any time.

You never actually DO SEE a person refueling a car while going down the road HOWEVER the fact remains that it IS possible to do so, and if one could do so in a safe manner we would see it happen.
Point is, all you have to do is pull over, pop the cap and pour in fuel.
Point of that is, you SHOULD be able to pull over, open the DC power port, and connect anything that can provide the proper voltage and current, just like you would if it was a DeWalt drill or other battery appliance, and you should be able to use an emergency booster if need be and keep it connected to get down the road at least far enough to get to a charging station anyway.

If it doesn't look, act and feel LIKE driving an ordinary car and provide the same ability to kludge one's self out of an inconvenient or emergency situation, people will not learn to trust it as much AS an ordinary car.

Been a while since I used a DSLR to shoot video.
I always avoided it for a couple of reasons...(1) due to DSLR licensing issues with the folks who created the video codecs, a DSLR is limited to either 29 minutes or 4GB of data PER file.
After that the camera either makes a new file or recording STOPS and has to be restarted again. (2) The battery issue, which TELEVISION (video) cameras solve neatly by providing an easy to use
external DC power port. Some DSLR's offer a good one, others make you use a stupid "dummy battery" which is sometimes worse than changing out the battery in the first place...you can't just plug in
an external supply in most models. The DC power port issue is slowly maturing now but I just decided to avoid DSLR for video if possible. (3) Wild differences in voltages!
Video cameras are generally either 7.2 volts DC or 12 volts DC....period.

Now, what on Earth does this have to do with EV's? Simple....EV's are becoming more and more like iPhones or DSLR's, no user serviceable anything, proprietary everything, magical dark art mystery
surrounding something as mundane as a goddam battery pack, NO external ports that are useable in motion.
So again, I see this eventually going either fully down the rabbit hole with too much woo woo, which will hurt the EV industry in the long run as owners lose patience with the muddling around,
when all they want to do is just get in and DRIVE the muh-fuggin car...OR...it might mature into the realization that these are just another battery operated APPLIANCE which deserves and needs STANDARDIZATION, so that people can remedy running out of juice the same way regular car owners do....ANY source of power available anywhere and any time.

You never actually DO SEE a person refueling a car while going down the road HOWEVER the fact remains that it IS possible to do so, and if one could do so in a safe manner we would see it happen.
Point is, all you have to do is pull over, pop the cap and pour in fuel.
Point of that is, you SHOULD be able to pull over, open the DC power port, and connect anything that can provide the proper voltage and current, just like you would if it was a DeWalt drill or other battery appliance, and you should be able to use an emergency booster if need be and keep it connected to get down the road at least far enough to get to a charging station anyway.

If it doesn't look, act and feel LIKE driving an ordinary car and provide the same ability to kludge one's self out of an inconvenient or emergency situation, people will not learn to trust it as much AS an ordinary car.
ICE cars have the same issues with proprietary tech these days, I'm afraid to say. Tuners have to spend exhorbitant money for the right to access the engine management software each company uses. It's why shops that do new cars, tend to only do one company. Even though all engine management software suites are doing the same damn thing.

It's Microsoft all over again.

ICE cars have the same issues with proprietary tech these days, I'm afraid to say. Tuners have to spend exhorbitant money for the right to access the engine management software each company uses. It's why shops that do new cars, tend to only do one company. Even though all engine management software suites are doing the same damn thing.

It's Microsoft all over again.

But I am only talking about recharging versus refueling, not any of the other stuff.
If you had to replace spark plugs every single day, the above argument would be relevant, because people would be scrambling to find "the right plugs" every day and not all stores would have ALL of the right kinds of plugs.

But I am only talking about recharging versus refueling, not any of the other stuff.
If you had to replace spark plugs every single day, the above argument would be relevant, because people would be scrambling to find "the right plugs" every day and not all stores would have ALL of the right kinds of plugs.
I understand.

I think it's being done to force brand loyalty.

Back
Top Bottom